How was your Shatner experience?

ragnarmorkai

Overall, how did you find your experience of meeting Shatner and getting an auto  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Overall, how did you find your experience of meeting Shatner and getting an auto

• Better than I expected
    • About what I expected
    • Worse than I expected

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a waste of £25.

And i thought James Marsters was a cattle market. If someone had shoved a cattle rod up my #### it wouldnt have been worse. No photos. Fair enough. No presonaltisation............. i say it before and i say it again, Carrie Fisher.

The woman gets better and better as every one else gets worse and worse. I queued for a stupid amount of time for Carrie fisher and for that i got a personalisation and a smile. Not much to ask. And before every comes on here and rips me apart like a pack of wild dogs, this is MY opinion, thats all.

I know it is the guests and managements request but i am pretty sure SM didnt kick up a stink if more money was to be made. £25 for an unreadable signature for which i just about saw him sign as my ticket was taken from me and my photo snatched by some woman (manager me thinks) who believes she is just something special. YOUR NOT!!! Trust me. She represents a lot of people who go to collectormania and other SM shows and she has managed to put my nose out of joint at most of them. Perhaps there could be a green room for celeb management that you could lock them in during the signings so they can keep there big nose out of it.

A waste of money. I saw him for less than 10 seconds and it took him about 3 seconds to scribble on my photo. I was also told he signs WILLIAM SHATNER CAPTAIN KIRK. He doesnt. Trust me.

If you want to meet him then i suggest you do it as i doubt he will come over much, hence why i got mine, but put it this way. Go and see Karen Allen, Erika Eleniak, gil gerard or robert englund on your way out. These people really appreciate their fans and it was a pleasure to see all of them. Although i did not meet all of them personally, just by looking at them you could tell they were there for two reasons and money was only one. However, by meeting one of these it will gloss over the poor way you are 'milked' in the Shatner's queue.

The other quick point is that shatner is ridicoulsy fast at signing. I got there at 7.30 this morning to get ticket 89! I was een in the first 10 minutes and within half an hour they had announced open queue as all the 600 tickets were then all queueing. Madness. But a professional i guess.

Well this old cow is going out to pasture now i have had my rant.

I will post something more positive tonight or tomorrow as it was still a really nice event.

And as a really quick sideline. Can i say thankyou to all the crew especially the cheery girl dealing with the Adam West cash and photos (hannah i think) when he arrived. Her happy attitude and smiley face really cheered me up on a very tiring day. But for once all the crew were a really nice part of the event, where as before i have had my gripes with them. Thankyou.

You really shouldn't have been at all surprised. Enough people on here have previously and very accurately described their visits to see Shatner.

Shatner's well known attitude towards his fans, combined with the usual SM big guest cattle market where your photo's snatched from you by a rent-a-thug while you're still 5th in the queue has obviously still surprised a lot of people.

873712[/snapback]

You see, valid points are watered down when 'newbie' (as in never posted very many times) trolls like you come and make ridiculous sweeping statements that are STUPIDLY innacurate.

Yes, Shatner WAS a let down... hell, he barely seemed awake when I 'met' him... but to compare the 'Shatner Experience' with the rest of the SM setup is just plain bitter and dumb. Shatner aside, all the guests I met today were friendly and warm. Likewaise ALL the SM crew were courteous, polite and helpful... even those in teh Shatner queue... the obvious exception being JCB, who was a *****, but ISN'T SM crew.

So IF you wanna make a gripe, go for it, but if you're going to come on here and slate SM for no reason OTHER than your need to troll, go do it somewhere else.

Shatner's well known attitude towards his fans, combined with the usual SM big guest cattle market where your photo's snatched from you by a rent-a-thug while you're still 5th in the queue has obviously still surprised a lot of people.

There is a valid point there though, it is terrible to have your photo taken and signed for you when you are not even anywhere near the guest. This has now happened to me on a couple of occasions, not just at collectormania but at other shows as well.

I believe that for what was offerd for Bill, £25 was WAY too much

The main reason I go to the collectormanias.. is to meet the actors, share a few friendly words and get a photo with them. The autograph is only if I really want to see them, and the Staff are being picky about only paying customers getting access to the actors :S

Bill is the exception... I raced to CMK this morning to meet up with a friend to meet the person we'd been waiting for a few weeks to see.

Get our tickets and wait around CMK for an hourish before checking.

As soon as we found out that it was £25... we were put off...and when we were told (by staff) that he wasnt allowing photographs to be taken... we just walked away..

I'm not going to pay £25 so I can say "I stood next to some old famous fart whilst he scribbled on a photo for me!", when I could be having a laugh with the other actors, who actually seem to be there for the fans (and also the money...not just the money :huh:)

Shatner Sucks!

Chris MK Can i just check that your comment wasnt directed at me. I just wanted to clarify that i did say all SM crew were great this time and that my beef is with SM themselves and the stars management. Thats all.

Cheers for letting em clarify (and vent!!)

Laters peeps!

I have just got back from CM I didn't bother with William Shatner with all the hype that was built up around him on the net (and some of it good some of it bad) but basiclly I had a feeling what it was going to be like so couldn't be arsed with the hassle. When I heard that he had started signing I popped over for a butchers omg what a queue I thought then. Then I was like sh*t that's going down fast so I popped down towards the exit where people was coming out from meeting him (hoping to catch a crafty photograph) and it was just in out in out.

Whilst waitng for Adam West I heard many people complaing about how it was just like a heard of cattle! Also heard some bloke saying that he had queued for William Shatner and took some photos and he was asked to hand over his camera (from what I can gather it was a disposable) he refused to do it as it had photos of his little girl on there! Now if there is any truth in what he was saying that is BANG OUT OF ORDER!

What a dissapointment, at least JM took the time to be friendly last time and he was just as busy, Miss Caitlin Brown, who the hell do you think you are?  I have never been so hacked by a guest ever.

873736[/snapback]

Yep, I saw JM on the Monday of the last CM and although he was busy he still found time to thank me for coming. Miss Caitlin Brown? Her initials are JCB, you decide if they are ironically appropriate? Jumped up little......:huh:

I can understand the feelings here but I don't think you can say it wasn't to be expected going by past SM experiences with the in-demand guests.

Having said that, I was rather surprised at how few people there seemed to be around him. I didn't get there until after 1pm, got a ticket (without really expecting to get in due to the high number on it) and after wandering around a bit they announced the queue was open.

To be honest, I really don't see that it would have slowed anything up allowing you to take a picture while you waited although apparently it was Mr Shatner's request that there were no photos (or at least the managers request)? But at the speed he was going, would it have made any real difference to personalise if the name was already on a bit of paper.

Oh well, my decision to pay my money and I got what I wanted although being able to exchange a few quick words would have been nice.

At least the other guests I met were really friendly, very willing to chat for a bit and I never felt rushed (one of the advantages of going on the friday I guess - it's never too busy) although I'm always careful not to hold things up if there are people waiting.

Chris MK Can i just check that your comment wasnt directed at me.

873731[/snapback]

Not to put words in chris mk's mouth, but his post started by quoting a post from KITT, so I would assume chris mk was addressing his remarks to KITT, rather than to yourself.

Sorry for all the disappointed people but like I wrote in another thread, this was so predictable !! It happens with every big guest at SM's event, so if you want something more than just a sig, you'd better skip this guest. Add on the top of that that Shatner has a very bad reputation towards fan and you arrive at the conclusion that you could not expect more than that. Okay, maybe 5 another seconds as I didn't believe he could sign that quick :lol:

And the woman you mention is probably Julie Caitlin Brown.

i went down with my friend to meet him as she wanted to shake his hand, and i held her stuff,

somthin or sumone had REALLY pissed JCB off that day, she was in the worst mood ive ever seen her in and she's not sumone u wanna be on the bad side of, she is normaly a very amenioble person as ive spoken to her before at the party and she's been nothing but polite, but today she really was quite rude, shatner was opening his mouth to say hey to us and she was barking out orders to us, and we didnt get a word from him or anything he even looked at us with a sorry abt her look in his face, i got the feeling from lookin at him that he atleast wanted to say hello to everyone.

also my friend compared her auto to sumone elses and they were diff! lol

Didn't see it mentioned above, but don't expect any form of conversation either, even one sentence. When I went through (first hour, before open queue) his head stayed down the entire time, and he was signing my picture whilst I was 3 people away. I asked to shake him by the hand, put my hand out, and he didn't even look up, and the manager woman gave me an awful look. That's rude, just a "sorry, we've got to keep the queue moving" would've done.

And with the open queue being announced 3 times in 15 minutes, he really could've afforded to spend more time talking to people. The whole area was strictly no cameras, not even whilst in the queue.

If JCB is the woman next to him, she needs to chill (and put on something more respectable - I saw her near the start of the show and took her to be one of the roleplayers, a bra with a see through lace top is not really appropriate when you've got children coming to see the guy you're representing). I got up at 4am to see him, and I only just got back home - that's the last time I buy All Bran ;) (hey, I just clicked - maybe she needed a bowl!)

Robert Englund was a gent - I couldn't believe how slow the queue was, but you knew it was going to be worth the wait and he was superb. I was laughing my head off! Both he and Erika I thought were absolutely genuinely happy to see their fans. Both offerred me their hands to shake as well, which was really nice :) My list if you're going tomorrow would also include Adam West and the lady from Battlestar Galatica - Tricia Helfer. All personalised, all happily allowed pictures, and all had a short chat and were worth £25 themselves (although all were £15-£20!). Erika and Tricia were dressed very nicely and both still looked absolutely stunning.

I have some pics and vid of William Shatner though - if SM allow people to include pics of him in their C8 pic collections online (linked from here) in light of the no camera in queue policy I'll post some up.

Oh, before I forget - a big well done to SM for how his entrance was managed. Everyone behaved and all managed to get some good pics.

First of all i am SO SORRY to anyone who was upset by the way this man acted.

i wasnt there but i have had first hand information from people that he has worked with not only met and i must say he is not a good person at conventions and he really doesnt like the "fans"

i really restrained myself about putting a thread on before the con, but now i'm here i may as well say that i was waiting for the complaints to come rolling in.

the point i really want to make is DO NOT blame SM they are just getting the people they know you want to meet its not thier fault.

this guest was destined to be a royal pain in the a$$ and you cant expect someone who thinks he is worth his weight in gold and too good for his fans to be proffessional, respectful or in any way nice. Thats just my opinon.

waits for more upset customers and complaints! SORRY again

Veasse xxx

Chris MK Can i just check that your comment wasnt directed at me. I just wanted to clarify that i did say all SM crew were great this time and that my beef is with SM themselves and the stars management. Thats all.

Cheers for letting em clarify (and vent!!)

Laters peeps!

873731[/snapback]

The only part of my comment that was directed at you, was the part where I said 'valid points are being made'.... my annoyance was directed at the person I quoted.

Hope all is cool.

veasse, I had heard that myself

873853[/snapback]

yeah he really upset someone i have corresponded with who was on TNG, plus anyone i met who was original cast have said it many times.

the mans just plain RUDE and i wouldnt stand for the way he is treating people, i think poor SM has thier work cut out.

and £25 for a scribble and a grunt if i'm lucky? a colonic irrigation would be worth more and most probably less painful!

:rolleyes:

Veasse xx

I agree JCB having an off day, and from what some staff said she has quite a few. Does anybody know if Shatner managed to set the record for most signings in an hour I assume he was trying for the record? Otherwise just damn rude, it wouldn't have taken much to at least acknowledge our existance. £25 to walk past an actor I must be mad. Thankfully everyboby else I saw was great, as were the volunteers as usual and when walking back from the "Shatner" experience talking to Jason he did say sorry.

Edited by Jabba.

is it worth it?

I am thinking of going Sunday to meet him but if it as bad as you lot are saying then I might leave it

873949[/snapback]

I would say if you are willing to pay £25 and leave with a non-personalised signed picture then do it. If you are expecting a posed phot, a personalisation or even basic civility then I would leave it.

As I thought there are a LOT of disgruntled Captain "I am too important" Kirk fans out there who were disappointed with the cattle market treatment yesterday, I for one have put him down in my estimations, I also feel like ramming those AllBran cereal boxes right up his 'arris for his obnoxious attitude! After speaking to two SM people, they told me that he was not prepared to acknowledge with any form of photography, I was even prepared not to use my flash as there was sufficient light coming in from outside but when you tried to take pictures from outside you got there blasted boards in the way. :blink:

He even wasn't prepared to pose for long when he turned up about 2pm, I thought J.C.B. of the Waffen SS was a right Hitler, felt like putting her jackboots in that gob of hers :jason:

Also noticed that his signature was not the one who have associated him with.

Overall I am EXTREMELY disappointed and had an inkling he might've been awkward but not to this extent! ;)