question about accomodation for c8 crew

surfy_sah

*from crew email*

For those requiring accomodation, Showmasters will cover the room bill as follows:

those working Friday and Saturday, we will cover the Friday night;

those working Saturday and Sunday, we will cover Saturday night;

those working all three days, we will cover Friday and Saturday nights....

was just wandering about Thursdays as some of us hoping to crew Friday (from 730am) will be coming from outside of MK e.g. I will likely be coming up from Swansea and my friend Mutley will be coming from London.

I'm sure some one will come along and post "*sigh* well just don't crew friday all day" :P but I thought it was a fair question worth posting about incase other people are wandering the same, rather than just emailing :angry:

cheers

surfy sah xx

As far as I am aware Showmasters have never paid for crew accommodation for the Thursday - that is your own responsibility regardless if you are working from the early hours on Friday.

At LFACC they didn't pay for the crew accommodation at all so I think it's very generous of them to pay towards some of the costs :D

No they did pay for the Thursday, with having to be there so early on the Friday. 

They did? :firedevil: Looks like I stand corrected :angel:

Regardless of whether or not they did or didn't they still aren't doing it this time around as it said in the crew email we all got recently.

We should be able to arrange the discounted room rate for the Thursday night. As to Showmasters paying for it...I'll check into it, but the reason we've gotten a little stricter on this is that when I first took over doing the crew roster I sadly noticed a largish number of volunteers who were abusing Jason's generosity (most not doing it deliberately, but the worst example was someone who offered to crew Friday all day and Monday morning, then asked for a crew room for the weekend from Thursday night to Monday - needless to say, that person didn't make the cut). The original deal on rooms is what I've outlined in the e-mail - if you work the days either side (and they can't both be half days), then Showmasters paid for the room. Jason recognised that some crew had to travel up the night before, and so he started paying for that night too...then before you know it, virtually everyone was asking for the night before, including many who weren't coming any great distance (and this isn't blaming anyone, because I was as guilty of this as anyone else). An individual crew member doesn't cost Jason a lot on a daily basis, but with a crew as large as we have, it soon adds up - I could pay of my mortgage in two to three events with what Jason spends on crewing alone. He covers more things for his crew than any other show I know of. He's happy to spend it, because he appreciates the crew (as do we all), and doesn't want to take advantage of them; we're just trying to find the right balance, because I don't want to see anyone taking advantage of him.

So, discounted rate; sure. Who pays for it? I'll discuss with Jason, and see what we can come up with.

I have never asked to be put up as crew by SM because I was told when I first started crewing (done the last 4events) that we were more likely to get chosen to crew if we could pay for our own rooms and I would rather have a blast crewing and find the money to pay room share then risk not being chosen because I wanted to save some money by asking for a room :P

mainly asked this time on behalf of my friend Mutley and thought I would post instead of emailing because I thought there might be more people wandering so now others can benefit from this topic :D

I can't crew all day friday now anyways because Too Tall (Stuart) and Al are only able to make the event on that day and I want to see them so the outcome won't affect me now anyways but maybe it can help others :P

hope to see you all there anyways! can't wait! some one on my msn has there name set to "41 days till c8" wow! :P

surfy sah xx

ps-yes indeed it is VERY genorous for SM to offer to pay ANY accomodation, as far as I know they are the ONLY organisers to do so! most others don't even FEED their crew or GIVE them the crew t to keep :o as SM crew, we are VERY well treated and it's greatly appreciated :wub:

As far as I am aware Showmasters have never paid for crew accommodation for the Thursday - that is your own responsibility regardless if you are working from the early hours on Friday.

At LFACC they didn't pay for the crew accommodation at all so I think it's very generous of them to pay towards some of the costs  ;)

846375[/snapback]

• Moderators

41 days till C8, thats on my MSN :D

I have never asked to be put up as crew by SM because I was told when I first started crewing (done the last 4events) that we were more likely to get chosen to crew if we could pay for our own rooms and I would rather have a blast crewing and find the money to pay room share then risk not being chosen because I wanted to save some money by asking for a room  ;)

mainly asked this time on behalf of my friend Mutley and thought I would post instead of emailing because I thought there might be more people wandering so now others can benefit from this topic  :P

I can't crew all day friday now anyways because Too Tall (Stuart) and Al are only able to make the event on that day and I want to see them so the outcome won't affect me now anyways but maybe it can help others :P

hope to see you all there anyways! can't wait! some one on my msn has there name set to "41 days till c8" wow!  :wub:

surfy sah xx

ps-yes indeed it is VERY genorous for SM to offer to pay ANY accomodation, as far as I know they are the ONLY organisers to do so! most others don't even FEED their crew or GIVE them the crew t to keep  :o  as SM crew, we are VERY well treated and it's greatly appreciated  :P

At LFACC they didn't pay for the crew accommodation at all so I think it's very generous of them to pay towards some of the costs  :o

846375[/snapback]

847442[/snapback]

Thanks Stuart, you're a star as always :huh:

We should be able to arrange the discounted room rate for the Thursday night. As to Showmasters paying for it...I'll check into it, but the reason we've gotten a little stricter on this is that when I first took over doing the crew roster I sadly noticed a largish number of volunteers who were abusing Jason's generosity (most not doing it deliberately, but the worst example was someone who offered to crew Friday all day and Monday morning, then asked for a crew room for the weekend from Thursday night to Monday - needless to say, that person didn't make the cut). The original deal on rooms is what I've outlined in the e-mail - if you work the days either side (and they can't both be half days), then Showmasters paid for the room. Jason recognised that some crew had to travel up the night before, and so he started paying for that night too...then before you know it, virtually everyone was asking for the night before, including many who weren't coming any great distance (and this isn't blaming anyone, because I was as guilty of this as anyone else). An individual crew member doesn't cost Jason a lot on a daily basis, but with a crew as large as we have, it soon adds up - I could pay of my mortgage in two to three events with what Jason spends on crewing alone. He covers more things for his crew than any other show I know of. He's happy to spend it, because he appreciates the crew (as do we all), and doesn't want to take advantage of them; we're just trying to find the right balance, because I don't want to see anyone taking advantage of him.

So, discounted rate; sure. Who pays for it? I'll discuss with Jason, and see what we can come up with.

847009[/snapback]

:D

I just have to say that I am really really greatful to showmasters, because I work at this thing which supplies crews to various events all over the country and they don't treat their employees NEARLY as nicely or as well as SM.

I mean, yeah we get breakfast and dinner if we camp at a venue, but it's usually s***e, (pardon my french) and the crew have to provide their own lunch and are REALLY lucky if a trolly dolly comes around. Sleeping in a tent on campsites with always get robbed isn't nearly as nice as working for SM. The people that I work with aren't that interesting, either. I think that, given the choice of being ripped off with tax and getting paid a minimum wage or working for SM, I'd choose SM any day!

Thanks for being such brill employers!

Kate

ps- that and the fact that they only give you raw details about what you're doing during the day. They don't let you know where to go to get information about stuff that you can't help them with or anything. It's a lot of guesswork with them.

GO SM! :blush:

Edited by slug_slug

thanks for that stuart. discounted rate would be muchly appreciated if its possible.

i am quite happy to pay for my hotel but sometimes i simply cant afford it. having a place in the SM hotel sometimes determines if i can make it at all and i would quite happily work for SM with no gratuity over not being able to attend because of the cost of a hotel.

i would also like to say just how well the crew are looked after. i think its horrible that some people try to take advantage. i for one greatly appreciate how much the crew is valued.

=x=

Hear Hear!

If everyone got looked after this well by all their bosses, then we'd all live on a much happier planet :lol:

Thanks again SM.

and a pox on those who abuse. *poxes*

849742[/snapback]

Kate your alive i 've not heard form you in ages girlie you going to C8.

I sure am! Well, I hope I can crew... But i'll try my hardest to make it... maybe do what I did last time, if I can't crew... Which is go to see the con and then ask when I get there if I'm able to work anyway!

PLEASE LET ME CREW!!!!!!!!! I'm happy when I'm crewing!

Nope, don't know where I'm staying yet. Won't know til I know if I'm crewing!

God, don't even mention his name. I think i'm going to dribble everywhere :wub:

*giggles childishly*

K, if I look like I'm mad about someone they'll never let me crew!

*laughs goofily*

I'm good.

:)

I'm talk to you later!

do you have Yahoo messenger? or MSN?

Katesxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• 3 weeks later...

Hey darlin' i only have yahoo messanger on every second weekend when i'm at my mums.

i'm kenaz_isa

i'm actuallythere this weekend if you wanna chat.

If not see you at C8 (not long now :lol:

btw i going with another friend this time a convention virgin i'm trying to prepare her without making her to scared lol