Profit Motive

MikeDonovan

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh, this stuff happens... If people like this didn't exist, maybe SM would lose so many punters that we wouldn;t get as many guests in future? (Please note, I'm just speculating as to how many people get auto's JUST for re-sale).

*goes off to log in to ebay* :P

If theres an appetite for buying these sort of items they will always sell them, feel sorry for the unlucky sods who cant get to these shows who get ripped off, the worst I saw was in on of these sports/auto shops they were selling a crappy framed Peter Mayhew auto for £75...Man what a rip off!

There is a shop on the strand selling John Noble & Billy Boyd autos framed from LFCC1 for £115 and £125 respectively.

The Cinema Store does the same, and is full of photos from conventions and premieres at inflated prices.

Best thing about them all is...few people buy them! HAHA!

Well if you want to pay stupidly over the top then feel free. Your financial loss.

But these people are basically scumbags, and I cannot see why people dont realise this.

They cheat the stars out of thinking theyre signing for a fan, they cheat real fans by pushing in front of them, they cheat everyone by getting multiple items, and they do it all for the love of £££, not because they have ANY interest in the stars themselves.

Ive seen these losers takeing advantage of old people too, who have turned and said "but I cant prove theyre being sold, so I have to sign them" when they obviously werent happy.

Theyre losers and scum. And I hate them.

Well if you want to pay stupidly over the top then feel free. Your financial loss.

But these people are basically scumbags, and I cannot see why people dont realise this.

They cheat the stars out of thinking theyre signing for a fan, they cheat real fans by pushing in front of them, they cheat everyone by getting multiple items, and they do it all for the love of £££, not because they have ANY interest in the stars themselves.

Ive seen these losers takeing advantage of old people too, who have turned and said "but I cant prove theyre being sold, so I have to sign them" when they obviously werent happy.

:rolleyes: So you hate people who work in WH Smith for the money to pay their mortgage, and not for their love of literature ? .............

This is the reason some people only autograph personalised. I know that Warwick Davis signed a few pictures for charity once, and he marked them, so he would know if they were being sold on Ebay or somewhere else. This is a sensible precaution, but as it is, demand creates a market. If people want autographs, people will sell them. At absurd prices maybe, but they will do it anyway!

So if a fan CAN'T get to a Collectormania/Comic Con/whatever, it's basically tough poo poo if they would like a signed picture?

Just to give you an example: a well known dealer in the states has a tippi hedren

rod taylor double signed from Hitchcock's The Birds listed for $999, approx £550.

I know a dealer here who is registered with the UACC who has an in person double signed the same but priced at just under £100. The variation between dealers is at times staggering, and I'm talking genuine dealers, not the ebay fraudsters.

Besides which what does it really matter? As long as the item is genuine and the seller is not lying/cheating who gets hurt? People don't have to bid on it if they don't want too. Surely the issue should be all those selling fake sigs. If you want to buy and sell a few auto's as an investment opportunity whose business is it but theirs?

So if a fan CAN'T get to a Collectormania/Comic Con/whatever, it's basically tough poo poo if they would like a signed picture?

In a word, yes.

If you don't go to cons to get signatures from source, you have to pay well over the odds unless you know an eBay dealer you trust.

It's always been the case.

I just don't go near autograph shops. I've seen so many fakes brazenly being sold in some places, I could've reported them to the law and had them shut down for fraud. Most autograph shop owners don't know where there stock comes from as they get it from third party dealers.

This one will make you laugh. A shop at Lakeside had two signed Tom Cruise photos on display next to each other. They both had totally different signatures on them.

Three years ago, the infamous GT Recollections at Bluewater that Victoria Beckham had her legal spat with were selling terribly scribbled Patrick Stewart signatures that had come from Slanted Fedora in the US for £125. At the time you could get them from SF for about £35.

I bought my signed Patrick Stewart in GT Recollections back in 1999 for £85. Having since obtained his sig in person, I'm not at all sure it's genuine.

Just not sure how these shops stay in business with the prices they charge. I've never seen people buy much in them.

I would never buy an auto from a dealer for 2 reasons

1) If I have not met them it looses the whole point of having it

2) 95% of the autos floating around are about as real as Jordan`s spam!

I admit I have sold autos from events on ebay before and I will do again. Wether its because I get a better picture signed, or I just need some cash.

If they made all autos personalised I would stop getting them because they become worthless, to anybody but me and that is an unacceptable loss in my eyes. Nobody knows what the future holds and I like to have as much insurance as posible :rolleyes:

theres nothin wrong to sell autographs u got at a convention or elsewhere, not every fan have the chance to get the autos by themself

at last its not fakes

and in this case, its their choice to bid as mush as they think its worth

Edited by Skylover

not the ebay fraudsters

a lot of the time these guy make me laugh so loud!!! the best i saw was an "authentic" signed picture of viven leigh in streetcar named desire for about £5!!!!!!!!!!!! for a start i doubt a signed pic of this even exists!! and even if it did it would be well in the hundreds of pounds!!! i feel so sorry for anyone that bids on items like this!! they must think they have the bargain of the century

The irony in this is that you're not actually getting the autograph - you're getting a scan of it. Why pay £40 for a scan? You don't even need to buy it, because you can just save the photo in the acution to the hard drive - after all, it's not copyrighted.

These arent the ONLY places autographs are signed.

But yes. Life goes on. You take your opportunities and miss the others. I cant get to meet Buzz Aldrin in October and probably will never get the chance, but thats my tough luck.

Im talking about those individuals who spend every day and night at hotel rooms, houses, theatres, premieres, afterhsow parties, book singings, press interviews and everything else, getting multiple items signed to sell for profit.

They ARENT helping anyone. Because all thats happening is more and more people are refusing to sign because they have no idea where it is going. Even Ewan McGregor, and well known fan friendly person has been snapping at people with photos at the stage door at the moment. Before the SW madness he was brilliant with fans. Now he wont sign SW stuff because it is making a few people a lot of money.

And that is not fair.

:rolleyes: So you hate people who work in WH Smith for the money to pay their mortgage, and not for their love of literature ? .............

What on earth has that to do with anything?

Who are people in a general retail environment hurting?

Im talking about the owners of the shops, not the staff, and the people who get the items signed and sell to shop owners.

The irony in this is that you're not actually getting the autograph - you're getting a scan of it. Why pay £40 for a scan? You don't even need to buy it, because you can just save the photo in the acution to the hard drive - after all, it's not copyrighted.

Agreed - I find this amazing. People scan in their auto, and sell the copy on E-bay! And the amazing thing is, people actually buy it! :lol:

Whatever way you look at it it's sickening - either the buyer thinks it's real, or they are just getting it to put it in a frame and convince people it's real, and both are pretty sad.

I honestly believe that you get reactions out of stars if it's clear that you are there to meet them, not for profit. It's like Kate Mulgrew at LFACC - everyone has said she was really off with them, and yet when I went up with my unusual photo of her (ever she said she had not seen that photo around for a while, although she remembered it being taken) and asked for her to personalize it, it was clear to her that I was there for my own benefit and she was quite chatty and pleasant. I bet she wouldn't have been so nice if I had given her a stock SM picture to sign and asked her not to personalize it.

Agreed - I find this amazing. People scan in their auto, and sell the copy on E-bay! And the amazing thing is, people actually buy it! :lol:

Whatever way you look at it it's sickening - either the buyer thinks it's real, or they are just getting it to put it in a frame and convince people it's real, and both are pretty sad.

I honestly believe that you get reactions out of stars if it's clear that you are there to meet them, not for profit. It's like Kate Mulgrew at LFACC - everyone has said she was really off with them, and yet when I went up with my unusual photo of her (ever she said she had not seen that photo around for a while, although she remembered it being taken) and asked for her to personalize it, it was clear to her that I was there for my own benefit and she was quite chatty and pleasant. I bet she wouldn't have been so nice if I had given her a stock SM picture to sign and asked her not to personalize it.

maybe...that said, if I was paid a large chunk of money to sit and sign auto's all day, I'd be pretty damn cheerful! ;)

Agreed - I find this amazing. People scan in their auto, and sell the copy on E-bay! And the amazing thing is, people actually buy it! :wub:

maybe...that said, if I was paid a large chunk of money to sit and sign auto's all day, I'd be pretty damn cheerful! :D

lol so how does that account for some of the grumpy gits we see signing? When I met Michael Dorn, he looked like he'd rather be shovelling out excrement on a Klingon garbage scow ^_^