What now for us Star wars fans?

Darth_Owl

Can we just all take Andrea's advice and drop it? Because clearly its just resulting in lots of fighting. Im sorry Darth Owl that you do not have the guests you want but you are clearly taking it out on us even though you deny it.. Tish did nothing to you but it seems she isnt "superior" enough for you huh?

Again, an example of someone totally missing the point and trying to put the ball on the other foot. Thanks for the compassion, but it really is not warranted. As I have said, I don't know how many times in this thread, Collectormania is not just about me and what I want. I will point out to you what I pointed out to Tish (and it has nothing to do with superiority I can assure you). If all you think this is about is me having a whinge and a whine and trying to dig at LOTR fans then you have completely missed the point.

I have not been aggressive, nor have I patronised anyone. Oh, and by the way - who exactly is fighting in here? Prey tell.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are all these posts about then? What is the point of this thread. Im not trying to be rude or argue or anything but u basically called me 'chicken' for wanting this thread closed as it is starting alot of arguments and negativity. No, Darth Owl, I dont like negitivity and Yes, U have the right to express ur opinion but Im lost in what exactly your opinion is. U have been stating what u havnt been doing and what us LOTR fans have been doing but what IS your opinion. Why dont u tell me and let that be the last of it, I cant argue with your opinion and nor u mine so there will be no need for debate. Is that fair enough?

Thanks Kari by the way

If you don't know what my opinion is after supposedly reading my posts then you never will tish. I will apologise for offending you in anyway. I'm giving up the ghost on this now anyway - it's like hum3z said - it just isn't worth the time or the effort.

xx xx xx - to everyone who wants kisses to kiss and make up. I shall now run along and wallow in self pity.........

If you don't know what my opinion is after supposedly reading my posts then you never will tish. I will apologise for offending you in anyway. I'm giving up the ghost on this now anyway - it's like hum3z said - it just isn't worth the time or the effort.

xx xx xx - to everyone who wants kisses to kiss and make up. I shall now run along and wallow in self pity.........

nope, to be honest i read the beggining of this thread ages ago and i dont remember what anyone said. I just posted on something that offended me which you have apologised for so....humm...lightsabres....Mmmm..Swords....Uchhh..Money...

thank you for that bruce. do you believe that spudulator has been smug or aggressive?

Excuse me but why am I being persecuted here?

i'm not sure i understand what you mean bruce. i am a forum moderator and i am just trying to clarify what's going on here. i only asked because i thought you had been offended. i can now see why the other people here find you so prickly. thank you

As a final note I would just like to wish everyone who is going to Collectormania a fantastic weekend.  Enjoy it one and all.  I, suffice to say, will not be attending.

Oh Darth, don't be so hasty! :( I know you're disappointed, which is fair enough, but why not hang on until the last few guests are announced? :blink::unsure: SM have said they're trying to get some more unusual SW names, so why not wait until those are announced - and then decide?:angry: Mind you, if you've got travel and other stuff to organise in advance, I do see your point. :blush:

Edited by yeltz-lass

i'm not sure i understand what you mean bruce. i am a forum moderator and i am just trying to clarify what's going on here. i only asked because i thought you had been offended. i can now see why the other people here find you so prickly. thank you

My final word on this.

To Darth Owl. Thanks for your response, I did my best as a non Star Wars fan trying to defend you guys, but I'm afraid Hum3z is correct, in these overwhelming odds you cannot win. I feel that despite what they say Showmasters will always throw their support behind the LOTR members rather than Star Wars, as has been evidenced on these forums.

Yes there are other shows with Star Wars guests in attendance that would welcome your support where it is being shunned here. Good luck and I hope that you get all the guests that you want to meet. (My mate is usually up on all the Star Wars guests arriving in the UK so if you email me I can let you know what he knows).

Andrea: I'm truly sorry if I upset you, but please re-read the posts and see that I was not the one spoiling for a fight (step forward Wideboy, Spudulator and Ptenbob), I was just expressing my opinion. Okay so the Gary Kurtz thing was misinformation that I had heard, and I apologise for posting that. It was in no way meant to upset you or Mr Kurtz, but just top open peoples eyes to the fact that I believed Mr McCallum to be more of a Star Wars stalwart given his immense involvement in the Star Wars saga, be the films good or bad in peoples opinions.

Billy Bob and Kenny: As Forum moderators I find your attitude and responses rude and offensive. Calling attendees 'prickly' and and suggesting that their knowledge of Star Wars is 'iffy' (even if it is) is uncalled for. Though I'll expect to be banned now for even challenging your word. It's not a good way to treat customers, and believe me word gets around.

So as I expect to be banned now I'll just say good luck Star Wars fans, stick with it and remember if you can't get it here there ARE other shows.

My best,

Bruce.

• Showmasters Admin

You know what, I think the phrase six of one, and half a dozen of another applies here!

I have pretty much said what I feel needs to be said before. However, I do not like the them and us camp that seems to be being created here between Star Wars fans and the rest of the forum. It saddens me, despite what I have previously said, that the likes of Bruce Banner, Darth Owl and the other Star Wars fans feel that we do not care about them. It is simply not the case, but if you won't believe that then there is little I can do to change your mind.

I would like to get you some fantastic Star Wars guests, and believe me, the fact that we don't have any is not for the want of trying. I do not normally comment on guest announcements, but I just want to say this. We have contacted EVERY major Star Wars guest that there is who has not previously done an event in this country. ( By EVERY, I mean EVERY ). At the present time, ( with the exception of two people we are waiting to hear from ), none were either available, or willing to attend Collectormania 4. At one point, we were actually in pretty advanced negaotiations for this event with several major stars, and although they cannot now attend this show, things do look promising for the future.

I do not want to fill the show up with more secondary Star Wars characters. I just do not feel that the demand will be there to meet them, bearing in mind most of them would be related to the Prequels, and so need flying from all round the world. If I am wrong on this point please tell me, but you have to remember that there are commercial considerations to take into account for us aswell.

Finally, I would just like to take this opportunity to apologise to the Star Wars fans for the way they feel. It saddens me that you feel we have handled this incorrectly, despite our best efforts to bring you guests that we thought would be good for the show. All I can say is that you cannot know the effort we have put into trying to bring you great Star Wars guests for C4, but sometimes things are just not in our control to fix. I hope that Darth Owl will at least join us for a future Collectormania, and not feel that we have, or would want to alienate him.

Thanks.

Mark

Hey Mark.. so wil you be apologising to all the Lost in Space fans, Battlstar Galactica fans.. and so on.....

But seriously though......

I feel that you DO NOT need to apologise to anyone.. You organise a fantastic show and no-one has an absolute right to expect any guests from any particular genre..

(Whatever next.. everyone slagging you off because a particular guest isn't coming!!!! if that is the case, your name is mud in my view for not getting Jeri Ryan!!!! LOL)

I find it incredible that anyone has the cheek to try and force the issue.. A friendly guest suggestion post is ok, but this seems to have degenerated into a kind of witch hunt..

One should attend the event as based on whatever the producers organise. It's quite simple, you attend based on whether you want to meet any of the guests, and not if the opposite applies..

I don't see this type of post on any other event forum.

It is sad to see a number of events being cancelled this year due to lack of ticket sales.. We should all be grateful that at least some companies (Showmasters included) organise strong events that enable us to pursue what has become an addictive hobby.

I have said before that I have expanded my interests with respect to meeting guests and collecting autographs and this is mainly due to events such as this. I hope that you carry on with Collectamania and go from strength to strength by continuing with your policy of inviting a variety of guest that in the main are involved in current blockbusters.. as well as catering for those of us that prefer to wallow in nostalgia. I count myself in both camps here!!

Keep up the good work and don't demean yourself by apologising for matters that are beyond your control.

OH WOULD YOU ALL JUST GROW UP !!! Star Wars has been hogging the collecting scene for 20 years

Thats because the Star Wars created the collecting scene. The first ever convention was a Star Wars one!

Star Wars created the collecting scene ?!?!?!?!?

STAR WARS CREATED THE COLLECTING SCENE ?!?!?!?!?

I must tell that to my granny - she collects memorabila from the first world war !! :blush:

Let me clear things up because I must be speaking to a child, so please put your dummy back in and i'll bring you your bottle.

All theses film/Sci Fi/Whatever shows owe everything to Star Wars. Obviously, it wasnt the first ever convention or the first collectors thing, but were films are concerned, it is. The first ever film related convention was Star Wars. Collecting went mainstream becuase of Star Wars figures.

* personal insult removed by showmasters *

Like ...... WHATEVER !

I agree with some who have said they think this thread should be closed…but as it is still here at the moment, I thought I’d throw in my rum-sodden thoughts…

I remember very clearly watching Return of the Jedi at the cinema when I was seven. I was so blown away I begged and pleaded with my mum for weeks to let me go again. She eventually gave in, but the penance to be paid was having to let my sister rent Annie AGAIN on video! (Although I get nostalgic about that too now!)

From that time on, Star Wars has been a major part of my life. From starting to collect the figures and arguing in the playground over who had the best collection to the present day of vintage theatre posters and props used in the films, Star Wars means so much to me for lots of different reasons.

For the record my favourite of the whole series so far is, and has been for years, the original version of The Empire Strikes Back. The moment where Leia finally tells Han, “I love you…” and his response…THAT look and quietly sighing “I know…” is one of the most romantic moments ever in cinema, to my mind. It could have been so cheesily done in the wrong hands. Genius.

Almost 20 years on, and I was a late starter with LOTR. I saw FOTR first when it was re-issued with the TTT trailer on the end of it. When it finished I felt like shouting out loud, “You can’t stop now! I want MORE! And I want it NOW!” It made me feel like I was seven-years-old again. Now LOTR means as much to me as Star Wars. I am rarely without a copy of the soundtrack to hand and I must have watched FOTR and TTT far too many times than is healthy.

Right – now to the point! *Drum roll*…

I feel upset that it seems there is a kind of rivalry developing between some SW and LOTR fans in this forum. It reminds me of some of the less savoury elements that call themselves football supporters. (I support AFCB Bournemouth by the way – Go Cherries!) It is a mentality I cannot understand, in football circles or in any other walk of life.

What it boils down to is this…

We all love movies. We all love collecting memorabilia associated with those movies. We love being able to meet some of the stars that have brought to life characters which mean so much to us. In that “We” I include Showmasters. If they were not fans like us frankly there would be NO Collectormania – which to my mind is a unique event for various reasons.

Before I visited CM2 last September I had never been to a convention-type event. I was immediately struck by how different it was from the stereotypes some people (I must include myself there, I am sorry to say…) have about such things. It truly amazed me. The layout, the venue, the sense of inclusiveness with it being in such an open public venue. The look on kids’ faces as they came shopping after school…”Mum!!! Look!!! It’s Darth Maul!!!” Priceless. Once again it made me feel like I was seven-years-old.

To sum up, I want to say this.

As the cliché goes, you cannot please everybody all of the time…but do not let that cloud what is taken as a whole a spectacular and exciting experience.

You could say on the SW/LOTR issue I play for both teams (shut it you smutty scoundrels!)…but whether you are fans of those or anything else, remember what we share in common far outweighs any differences.

Besides…it is worth remembering that when you strip the outer shells off, the stories of Lord of the Rings, Star Wars and now the likes of Harry Potter all have common themes.

May the Farce be with you, always :D

Edited by Hobbit_of_Dorsetshire

OMG HOD! THAT WAS SUCH A SAM SPEECH! 'and when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer, those were the stories that stayed with u, that meant something, even if u were too small to understand why. But I think I do understand, I know now. Folks in those stories had lots of chances at turning back, only they didnt, they kept going, because they were holding onto something' 'What are we holding onto sam?' 'That theres some good in this world, and its worth fighting for!'

Shiver down mi spine every time! sorry bout that! I love star wars by the way..

OMG HOD! THAT WAS SUCH A SAM SPEECH! 'and when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer, those were the stories that stayed with u, that meant something, even if u were too small to understand why. But I think I do understand, I know now. Folks in those stories had lots of chances at turning back, only they didnt, they kept going, because they were holding onto something' 'What are we holding onto sam?' 'That theres some good in this world, and its worth fighting for!'

It sends shivers down mine too, Tish. Even makes me blub *sniff*. Don't tell Houdi tho - she thinks I'm gay enough as it is! :P

I hope that gibber makes some sense though :D

It sends shivers down mine too, Tish. Even makes me blub *sniff*. Don't tell Houdi tho - she thinks I'm gay enough as it is! ;)

I hope that gibber makes some sense though :P

lol yeah, it was very well said! very sweet! Dont worry, i wont tell! Sam always makes me cry! U comin bowlin by the way? We would all love u to come..and bring some rum!

It sends shivers down mine too, Tish. Even makes me blub *sniff*. Don't tell Houdi tho - she thinks I'm gay enough as it is! ;)

I hope that gibber makes some sense though :P

lol yeah, it was very well said! very sweet! Dont worry, i wont tell! Sam always makes me cry! U comin bowlin by the way? We would all love u to come..and bring some rum!

If I have time I will try. I have no idea what is going on yet - I won't know til Thursday when I get there. I really will try to come down and say "Hi!" though...and maybe knock a few skittles ;)

I personally feel that the star wars fans who have posted in this topic have came across as very greedy and agressive (only adressing the negative posts here, i myself am a star wars fan). Look there is already 1 very good star wars guest at this show and there were 2 at one point. This whole board would be filled with negative comments if we all took the same approach as bruce banner and darth owl. You don't see me running around throwing a fit saying "only 1 farscape guest at this show? dammit man give me more!" or fans of hellraiser saying "only pinhead? but we also wanted to see dr channared, butterball, chatterer and barby!". There are even amazing genre shows and cult films that have no representation at the event including - dead zone, predator, aliens, angel, smallville etc etc etc.

Can you people complaining honestly tell me that out of all the guests at this event there is nobody non star wars related that you are looking foward to meeting? I cannot belive that for a second, and if it is only star wars guest that make u want to attend collectormania then i think you should maybe start looking elsewhere.