What now for us Star wars fans?

Darth_Owl

• Showmasters Admin
My own feelings on this is that the balance is wrong. There are far too many LOTR actors at this one event, and I believe that they should have been spread out over a number of events. This has in fact turned into the LOTR show, with special guests - everyone else.

I'm afraid this is a bit of a sweeping statement to make. Let's do some Collectormania statistics...

We currently have 7 LOTR Guests confirmed for C4.

At C3 there were 10 Star Wars guests in attendance, and at C2 there were 12 Star Wars actors which constituted around half of the entire guest list.

I don't recall anyone complaining about those events being a Star Wars show with special guests...

Kenny

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point Kenny..

You beat me to it..

I have said before that having begun an interest in one area, shows like yours have expanded my interests and collection to others..

There are lots of shows not represented by C4, but the good news is that there is fantastic scope for Collectamania to continue for many years, perhaps even 3 or more shows a year and are rapidly becoming leaders for this type of event..

Before C3, I had no real interst in LOTR.. Having got 5 LOTR autographs at C3 and met some fantastic people, I look forward to expanding my LOTR section at C4.

I think it more important for regular attendees, for each show to feature a variety of guests and preferably not one who featured in the previous one.. I would like to see a policy of no repeat guests for 2 shows in a row.

I predict that C5 or maybe C6 will heavily feature Star Wars as the new episode will require the good old publicity bandwagon..

OH WOULD YOU ALL JUST GROW UP !!! Star Wars has been hogging the collecting scene for 20 years

Thats because the Star Wars created the collecting scene. The first ever convention was a Star Wars one!

Star Wars created the collecting scene ?!?!?!?!?

STAR WARS CREATED THE COLLECTING SCENE ?!?!?!?!?

I must tell that to my granny - she collects memorabila from the first world war !! :unsure:

Ok i have to say somehting about this, i understand that you are upset that you only have one Star Wars guest but did i complain that at c3 we had NO Buffy or Angel guest or am i complaining now that we have no Stargate guest at C4, the answer would be NO.

SM are trying their best to try and get some guest so give them break and let them carry on with it.

Ok rant over.

Armin Shimerman (Principal Snyder from Buffy) was at C3. A lovely guy - true gentleman. Sadly there were no photos of him as the Principal, so there was a mad rush to the photo stalls to find some!

:angry:

Ok i have to say somehting about this,  i understand that you are upset that you only have one Star Wars guest but did i complain that at c3 we had NO Buffy or Angel guest or am i complaining now that we have no Stargate guest at C4, the answer would be NO.

SM are trying their best to try and get some guest so give them break and let them carry on with it.

Ok rant over.

Armin Shimerman (Principal Snyder from Buffy) was at C3. A lovely guy - true gentleman. Sadly there were no photos of him as the Principal, so there was a mad rush to the photo stalls to find some!

I forgot about him and i got his autograph but that still goes to my point we did not complain then that we had just the one.

Folks who are anti-LOTR guests might like to be reminded that at C2 we had ONE LOTR guest in the shape of Sala Baker...

And what a fine shape that is! Someone at the screenings should ask Sala and Lawrence...and the others if they know it...to do the Haka - the war dance thing the New Zealand All Blacks rugby team do before every game!

He did with Temuera Morrison at CM2 and it was brilliant! If a little scary *hides*

• Moderators
Ok i have to say somehting about this,  i understand that you are upset that you only have one Star Wars guest but did i complain that at c3 we had NO Buffy or Angel guest or am i complaining now that we have no Stargate guest at C4, the answer would be NO.

Ok rant over.

:D

Grrrr no Snyder pics, that annoyed me :P

My own feelings on this is that the balance is wrong. There are far too many LOTR actors at this one event, and I believe that they should have been spread out over a number of events. This has in fact turned into the LOTR show, with special guests - everyone else.

I'm afraid this is a bit of a sweeping statement to make. Let's do some Collectormania statistics...

At C3 there were 10 Star Wars guests in attendance, and at C2 there were 12 Star Wars actors which constituted around half of the entire guest list.

I don't recall anyone complaining about those events being a Star Wars show with special guests...

Kenny

But you didn't have a forum then did ya?

Anyone else notice how the anti-Star Wars noise is coming from all the LOTR and Harry Potter fans?

I agree that they have done a wonderful job in organising this event, but please understand that just because you are satisfied with guests because they fulfill your requirements, (ie LOTR and Harry Potter), were the tables to be turned and there were only one LOTR guest I'm sure you all would be sounding your disappointments too. So don't complain at the Star Wars fans just because they are disappointed.

First off, I want to say that I am not having a go at anyone, and I understand the frustration that Star Wars fans feel at the moment. I must say though, that however frustrated you feel, try doubling that and you will get somewhere close to what we are feeling over this subject.

It is frustrating that Star Wars fans seem to think that we do not care about them, or that we are not trying to get them guests. If we weren't, then I could understand the comments, and you would be right. However, we are trying, and we are trying for a calibre of guests that simply is not just sitting around waiting for us to call and ask if they can do a show. Sometimes these things just don't work out, and that is not for want of trying, but sometime stuff is just not in our control!

We are still hoping to bring some Star Wars guests to THIS show, but we are eager to make sure that they are unsual and sought after guests, not just third Jawa from the right. ( Although I must say that 3rd Jawa did a marvellous job )!!!!!!!!

Please bear with us. We haven't forgotten you and we are trying. As I have said on several occasions before, Jason and I are huge Star Wars fans, and we are as eagre as you guys to see some great Star Wars guests at this, and future Collectormania events.

Thanks

Mark

Thanks for that Mark. I appreciate that you guys are doing a terrific job with the guests and all the hard work that must go into that.

I was just trying to understand the disappointment from the Star Wars fans point of view. I didn't think it was fair that they were ridiculed by LOTR fans, (who because they got what they wanted), saw the Star Wars fans as always complaining. As I said were the shoe on the other foot we would have heard from them.

Have they not just proved that they didn't complain when there was a dozen SW people there and only one LOTR actor?

Like I say, I am a huge LOTR fan, and I was sold on the fact that Dominic Monaghan was going; the fact that the others have decided to come is more luck than anything (or you know pure hard work by the SM's).

And I still stand by "not everyone can be available." SM have to take the opportunity when it comes to them; if they were to say that they were unable to allow some of the LOTR actors to attend because there wasn't a balance, their chances of getting them to attend another show would drop dramatically.

Kenny

Then the balance was wrong at those shows too.

Besides with the possible exception of Sala Baker and Andy Serkis the rest of the LOTR actors are brand new to Collectormania and indeed shows in the UK. Which is excellent work on your behalf, but amongst the Star Wars guests that you had mentioned had appeared at C2 and C3, from what I have been told only a few were new to this country, (Daniel Logan, Temuera Morrison for example) the rest had been circuit regulars like David Prowse, Michael Sheard, Kenny Baker, Warwick Davis, Jeremy Bulloch and even this years Gary Kurtz who has conducted signings for Showmasters before.

Hopefully for the Star Wars fans there can be a future Collectormania with 5 or more brand new Star Wars guests then?

Has anyone ever heard the saying - "You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, even some of the people all of the time, but never all of the people all of the time,"?

Let's look logically at this, last year was a huge year Star Wars wise, the new film was high in the public consciousness, a hell of a lot of new toys were launched, a lot of Star Wars actors were making big names doing other things.

This year, Star Wars is lower in profile, and I'm not saying that Showmasters are treating it any differently at all, I know they all love the films.

What I am saying however, is that this year brings the conclusion of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, a series of films enjoying perhaps the highest spot in the public consciousness, along with Matrix, Terminator 3 and the like.

Let's not forget the sheer size of the guestlist already confirmed, hell, as much of a Star Wars fan as I am (my collection doesn't rival Jason's by any stretch, but I have maybe somewhere around two and a half to three thousand pieces,) I'm coming to meet the caliber of actors that I would never get chance to meet at premieres or in the street.

Guys, look at the list -

Corey Feldman, as any child of the seventies such as myself that grew up in the eighties will tell you, he embodied cool in all of his films,

Elijah Wood, an actor of incredible pedigree, anyone that catergorises him as 'just another Hobbit' is sorely mistaken

Peter Weller, Robocop, 'nuff said!

Gary Kurtz, the PRODUCER OF STAR WARS... Come on guys, this is the man in charge of bringing George Lucas's vision to life, apart from George Lucas himself, you simply will not find a larger behind the scenes name.

There's just a few, if you're not happy, at least be happy for those that *are* getting the chance to meet their heroes, your turn has been before and will be again.

Gary Kurtz, the PRODUCER OF STAR WARS... Come on guys, this is the man in charge of bringing George Lucas's vision to life, apart from George Lucas himself, you simply will not find a larger behind the scenes name.

Hello? Rick McCallum. Producer of all three prequels and the special editions of the original trilogy. Gary Kurtz only produced A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back in this series, Return of the Jedi was produced by Howard G. Kazanjian.

Rick is the REAL second in command of the Star Wars saga.

Rick is the REAL second in command of the Star Wars saga.

Yeah, second in command of destroying everything that is good about Star Wars.

Gary may have "only" produced Star Wars and Empire, but they are the best two films of the series by a country mile. What does that tell you?

spudulator

Yeah, second in command of destroying everything that is good about Star Wars.

Gary may have "only" produced Star Wars and Empire, but they are the best two films of the series by a country mile. What does that tell you?

spudulator

That's your opinion, and a minor one at that. Besides from what I've heard Lucas actually sacked Gary Kurtz, hence his non involvement in Return of the Jedi, so what does that tell you?

And what makes your personal opinion more valuable than anyone elses?

What makes spudulators opinion more valuable than anyone elses? Who are they to say that RickMcCallum was "second in command of destroying everything that is good about Star Wars". This saga is not yet complete, I suggest reserving judgement until we can see the saga and Mr McCallum's involvement in it as a whole. And that is why my opinion is more valuable.