Are To Many People Jumping on the LOTR wagon

ILoveMerry

17 members have voted

1. 1. Are To Many People Jumping on the LOTR wagon

• Yes
    • No

Well...

we've got the films there brill, and the putey games, they keep me interested for hours.

but do we really need a musical and a theme park, i think i heard, and the orchestra thingy howard shores doing - actually i'd quite like to see that - so ignore that bit.

i think its just getting a bit silly with all this extra stuff coming out.

my god pj - you've opened a gate, now the cheap merchandising wont go away

This is a hard one really...

I think New Line must be raking in the cash from all the associated merchandise that's out there, which is fine and all that. It's the done thing these day's with films of this nature. i don't have a problem with it myself.

I do object to the musical idea though. It just doesn't feel right. I get the feeling that the producers of this have seen the money making opportunity in this and there's little or no integrity in it. It running the risk of being 'done to death' and as a fan of the books and movie trilogy I think now is the time to stop before it taints the story.

As for the theme park idea...that would be a little tacky i admit but the kid in me would totally love the thought of a Falling Balrog ride or an Oliphant ride! :angel:

Anyhoo..like that's only my 2 cents!

*deep booming voice*

Welcome to the Miiinessss of Moooorrriiiiaaaaa. Here you will see sights never before seen by men. *crackle, squeaky adolescent voice* Please keep your arms and legs within the carriages and leave all personal items in the station. *deep booming voice* See you on the other side...IF YOU SURVIVE! MWAHAHAhahaha.....

I do object to the musical idea though. It just doesn't feel right. I get the feeling that the producers of this have seen the money making opportunity in this and there's little or no integrity in it. It running the risk of being 'done to death' and as a fan of the books and movie trilogy I think now is the time to stop before it taints the story.

hear hear!

I think there is always going to be people hanging onto the coat tails of LotR. You could even accuse Peter Jackson of the very same thing, after all...it wasn't his creation. I mean, the books did come first and already had a huge following, before the movies came along.

A lot of die hard fans of the books would argue that the movies 'invaded their space', and made LotR as a whole, far to commercial, spoiling the originality of the books.

Others, like me, who is an original book fan also, absolutely loved the movies and as far as I am concerned, the more people know about these great stories, the better. The movies can only inspire people who are new to LotR, to venture into the books...and in my opinion, that can only be a good thing.

I do agree however, that a musical and a theme park are just taking it too far and cheapening the whole experience. Some people are just not satisfied until they have milked evey penny from a franchise, disregarding completely the moral stance as long as it makes them a fat profit.

I can honestly say, that I would HATE it if a theme park popped up somewhere, and I would also refuse to go and watch a LotR musical...it just wouldn't work. I think some people need to realise when to leave things well alone.

BTW, I can highly recommend the Howard Shore symphony. I was lucky enough to catch it at the Royal Albert Hall last year and it was an experience I will never forget. Howard Shore did a fantastic job with the score, and listening to the music alone is still very moving, it proves you don't need the movie to appreciate the feeling behind the music. If you get the chance, go :angel:

Whoops...i rambled a bit didn't I...oh well :lol:

I love it, I absolutley LOVE the whole thing - everything about it.

Unfortunately tho, if they do go ahead with this musical idea and the theme park, its going to ruin the whole thing. Ppl (who arent already) are guna be complaining baout it and money about the money wasted, what a load of crap, etc etc. I mean, thats just inevitable if they try and get anything else out of it!! Surely theyve made enough money??

:D LOTR ^_^

Howard Shore did a fantastic job with the score, and listening to the music alone is still very moving, it proves you don't need the movie to appreciate the feeling behind the music.

I couldn't agree more with this comment Strider. The music is stunning and whenever i hear it I know exactly what scene it's from in the movie. The thought of a musical version worries me in the extreme. I doubt that the true fans of Tolkien would bother with it anyway. :D

Yes and no. I think some of the ideas are a bit far fetched. But as a hardcore fan I do like the idea of seeing something new. I am quite looking forward to a musical. I think if done right it could be very good. But it would of to be done well so that it would be too contived.