Repeat guests - good or bad idea ?

dufresne

Should SMs avoid repeating guests or not ?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Should SMs avoid repeating guests or not ?

• Never bring a guest back ... EVER !
    • Bring them back after a few shows
    • Bring them back after a few years
    • Bring them back if they or their area is topical
    • Bring back MY favourite guest at all costs cos I love them
    • SMs are great - let them decide !

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's good to bring some guest back after a few shows because if you're like me and have to budget each show there might be times when you can't afford all guests or you may be unable to see a guest because it's too busy.

I personally think that repeat guests are a bad idea.

Theres that kid from Star wars episode one (you know the one with that irritating lizard) who rears his slightly older head every now and then, and after he has signed a couple of autographs in an open queue he sits there looking a bit miffed.

Then you've got those Harry Potter lot, I've seen the Potter films but yet when I look at some of them I have not got a clue who they are, only to find out they had a total on screen time of maybe three minutes?

I looked at the latest guests for Collectormania and I groaned "not them again".

So to summarise.....NO, repeat guests can be bad for your autograph getting for the weekend.

:firedevil: A fair point.

I'm really fed up with seeing the same guests time and time again.

I love LOTR but there is only so many times you can have 'the second orc on the right' attending.

I loved meeting Lij and Sean and would pay to see them again, but only because they were such nice blokes

There are a few others that I really don't ever need or want to see attending again.

It's a waste of a guest. Bring me some fresh blood.

Edited by BEX (PSP)

• 4 weeks later...
It always happens after either show - an influx of requests for (whoever) to come back. The waste of time threads for Mr E. Wood to come back are still piling up 18 months later. With all due respect to the fans involved, this is nearly all because "Craig Parker is gorgeous", or "Rachael Lutterell was really nice to me", but surely ShowMasters should keep striving to cover new ground, and have new guests?

And I know there is "room at shows for both", but for every Prowse that SMs have to pay, there is a Henriksen just waiting to be asked ......

Use your vote wisely !

what u have to remember, is that elijah wood will always bring in the crowds! And there are thousands of his fans that attended c4 that did not get to meet him - my cousin who is a HUGE fan being one of them!

So i can't understand getting new guests when people still haven;'t met the old ones. I know at least 10 people taht i have met at premieres that will go to these events if elijah goes.....................

So in a way, its in everyones best interest to get repeat guests.........billy boyd has been loads of times, but u still have to scramble to get tickets for him! :angel:

I think there are pros and cons. I mean I'm sure there are some guests who would draw big crowds no matter how many times they turn up (someone's already mentioned Billy Boyd as an example) and to have them continually returning can't be bad for business. On the other hand there are those (such as the usual HP guests, or the kid from Star Wars with the lizard, if I've got that description right!) who, having met them once that would be enough, and who probably won't be big crowd pullers among new people to conventions. I know there are some on here who are so against LOTR it's untrue, but can you honestly say that if Elijah Wood came back he wouldn't be busy? Or Sean Astin? Nope, they would be, and as other people have said, there are many who couldn't make it to C4 who would jump at the chance of meeting either of those.

Was that a decent enough piece of fence sitting? :D

At SM events, you're not obliged to see the same guest again if you don't want to...

So some repeat guests combined with new guests is the ideal combination...

Of course, everyone should be entitled to request their favourites anyway, as SM will be the ones who decide in the end... They'll be the ones who know which guests had the most "business" at previous events...

I think repeat guests are good but for the show straight after, they really need to be left for a few shows. Not everyone gets to meet a guest the first time round (i.e Elijah Wood & the rest of the hobbits) I have not met some of the guests when they have appeared at an event due to various reason (run out of money or time) so it would be nice if they can be brought back again one day.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I said bring them back if ..... something or other.

But, i think i only have that view because I never knew about these events before, and so missed the ones where all my favourite people went to. If I'd have found out about it and got there to see them, then I'd probably say not to have them back now.

I think repeat guests are good but for the show straight after, they really need to be left for a few shows. Not everyone gets to meet a guest the first time round (i.e Elijah Wood & the rest of the hobbits) I have not met some of the guests when they have appeared at an event due to various reason (run out of money or time) so it would be nice if they can be brought back again one day.

That's a better way of saying what i was trying to say!