ShowMasters in "NO LOTR GUESTS" shocker

dufresne

Back to the point of this thread,

LOTR Guests please!

Im sure that LOTR will still be around in 25 years, Its made film history!

I know im never going to forget it.

those of us watching it now will never forget it (and believe me, i'm a big fan myself) but in fairness, its unlikely that in 30 or 40 years time ppl will still be buying it.

why?

because there's only one edition of it possible.

i see star wars now as capitalising on the possibility of a prequel and sequel trilogy, but not actually caring that ppl might want to only have the original.

its reckoned somewhere that in 30 years time LOTR will be remade, but it's not prequels or sequels - its a full remake, with COMPLETELY new actors and director, purely for the financial income it can provide.

that might create new popularity, but only for a new edition entirely - and, for me, the original (no matter how much i see wrong with ROTK) is the only one thats really worth watching - i can't imagine anyone else in the same roles.

:angel::unsure:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally think LOTR will be around in 30 years, I think people underestimate the loyalty of its fans.

Im not a Star Wars fan, but I respect the films and its fans.

Everyone has different tastes, that doesnt mean to say you should come on here moaning about LOTR and its fan requests.

It has made film history and In my opinion is matching Star Wars, only time will tell if it will still be as big in 30 - 40 years, but the books have survived this long so I see no reason the films wont do the same.

And no offence to Star Wars or its actors, but if you compare the quality of the acting LOTR wins hands down.

Elijah was amazing, as were Andy, Sean, Viggo, Ian and many others.

I suggest if you dont like LOTR then you stay on a Star Wars forum etc, you dont get many LOTR fans coming on there and saying no Star Wars guests or no Star Trek guests on there threads.

Each to there own, im sure SM will get guests for everyone as they have done in the past.

But there is a huge demand for LOTR guests, just check the request threads - and while that need is there SM and other events are going to provide for it........

Plus alot of the actors are known for other things as well as LOTR, so they would appeal to many peeps eg Ian Mckellen - XMEN,Ian Holm - Alien and Elijah Wood - faculty+Deep Impact.

I personally really hope there are some LOTR guests at C7 and LFCC2 :lol:

That's true, but one last point. LOTR has not only made film history in loads of ways, but it is also the only ever film to win every Oscar it was nominated for, right? That if nothing else will keep it on peoples must see lists

Well Im sure LOTR will still be big in 25 yrs and it wont have resorted to tacky prequels!!!!!!!

1. Star Wars was concieved as one big story, prequels included.

2. LOTR prequels (other than The Hobbit) are unlikely since the author died in 1972 !

That's true, but one last point. LOTR has not only made film history in loads of ways, but it is also the only ever film to win every Oscar it was nominated for, right? That if nothing else will keep it on peoples must see lists

Sure, I always base my movie choices on what oscars they won :D

Alot of people seem to think, not saying anyone on here by the way, that Episodes 1 to 3 were thought of after 4 to 6 and slate them because the mystique created by A New Hope, Empire and Return has been "violated" in their words. As has been said on here, Star Wars was one big story in 9 parts. It is highly unlikely 7-9 will be made (never say never though), but Lucas was given the choice of picking one of the stories and making it into a film. It had to be a stand alone film, but open to a follow up. Times are way different nowadays as the money is there because of the merchandising. No disrespect to the Rings trilogy, but the budget would never have been so big if the merchandising wasn't there to help persuade the Studio financiers. The gamble paid off big time and the trilogy has paved the way to THE HOBBIT being commissioned. Like the Star Wars storyline, the latter storyline has helped with the beginning. Could anyone say that the Trilogy would have been made on the back of THE HOBBIT? The trilogy had so much to work with, whereas the Hobbit would not have at the time.

As regards the Star Wars guests dominating C6, it was a reunion after all centered around the release of the DVD Box Set.

Lest we forget the Hobbit invasion not so long ago? These were main cast and you can only really say that there was ONE main cast Star Wars guest in Carrie Fisher as Billy Dee is more a Supporting Role.

At the end of the day, we can ask for this guest and that guest until we are blue in the face. But, if they are not available at the time then there is nothing Showmasters can do. They couldn't even say they have asked/approached a certain guest as in recent years some guests have cancelled with other organisations as they advertised them without having an agreement. Also, if the star can't go to one event then SM may be trying to get them for a future event.

Event/Convention organising is a hard task (yes, I do have experience but not on the scale of Collectormania etc) at best, so be patient and I am sure SM will make us all happy.

It has nothing to do with what its won, its to do with the fact the films were great and the people involved had such scope, talent and did an amazing job.

These films have touched so many people and I have no doubt they will continue to do so for a long time to come! :lol:

Its not a competition between Rings and Star Wars or Buffy and Star Trek.

They are what they are, all individual and unique with there own set of fans.

So let us all get alone, but whether you like it or not, LOTR deserves praise and its fans deserve the right to request its cast as guests.

LOTR GUESTS FOR LFCC2 and C7 :lol:

It has nothing to do with what its won, its to do with the fact the films were great and the people involved had such scope, talent and did an amazing job.

These films have touched so many people and I have no doubt they will continue to do so for a long time to come! :lol:

Its not a competition between Rings and Star Wars or Buffy and Star Trek.

They are what they are, all individual and unique with there own set of fans.

So let us all get alone, but whether you like it or not, LOTR deserves praise and its fans deserve the right to request its cast as guests.

LOTR GUESTS FOR LFCC2 and C7 :lol:

Right, with that in mind I am off to start beggin threads for the following shows...

1. Dark Angel

2. Will & Grace

3. Married With Children

4. MASH

:lol:

he he you do that.

Will and Grace is wicked, I would love to meet Karen :lol:

Never got into dark angel but Jessica Alba is gorgeous :lol:

I really dont know why people think that if we have guests from LOTR or BUFFY etc that there will be no room for any other guests.

SM always provide a well rounded guest line-up so I wouldnt stress, you know people are gonna request LOTR guests so you might as well except it and start a Star Wars thread or sumthin.

HOBBITY GOODNESS AND THE GORGEOUS MIRANDA OTTO 4 C7 or LFCC2 :lol:

Firstly, I refuse to get drawn into the 'which is better' debate, but reading through all this, there is a little snippet of a point I would like to make.

I have noticed some people have mentioned that seeing the same guests faces, gets old and stale.

If you are a seasoned veteran at conventions and the guest doesn't really hold much interest for you. Or, if you have met said guest before, maybe numerous times, then this would be true and you would probably roll your eyes at the mention of certain guests.

On the other hand however, there are lots of people who have never met these guests before. People who are maybe new to conventions, or wasn't lucky enough to to be able to be there, when said guest appeared at earlier shows.

Then there are people who would like to see certain guests again and again, despite having seen them a trillion times and got everything they own signed by them.

The point I am trying to make is, just because a guest seems to be a regular on the circuit for some people, that isn't the case for everyone, and there are always people out there who would love to meet a guest for the first time. We shouldn't begrudge them that.

That's true, but one last point.  LOTR has not only made film history in loads of ways, but it is also the only ever film to win every Oscar it was nominated for, right?  That if nothing else will keep it on peoples must see lists

Sure, I always base my movie choices on what oscars they won :lol:

No Oscars mean very little to me, just making a point that beacuse of that it will stand out. I think it will stand out for other reason more though, thats just an example :lol:

I agree LOTR stands out because it is an amazing film, all the actors worked amazingly hard as well as the crew.

It has touched people and thats what makes it so special and what will make it endure in the end.

That and the amazing loyalty of the fans :lol: