UK Music Hall of Fame 1980s

rainbowsparkle

Just off the back of the recent Duran Duran thread, was anyone else completely gobsmacked, not to mention furious, when Jamie Theakston announced that Duran Duran had been booted off the list of 10 artists in favour of ... The Beastie Boys!!!!! :rolleyes:;):uhoh:

Which smart a**e was responsible for that decision then, that's what I want to know? I can't work out what the criteria was, although it doesn't matter whether it was musical achievement or iconic status (which are the only two criteria they could have been using judging from the other acts on the list) since DD were/are miles ahead of The Beastie Boys in both.

What a load of (fixed) rubbish!

Sorry for the rant, but I'm absolutely livid!!! :D:D:D

Um..i thought it was the UK music hall of fame..So..why are there american people in?  :borg:

You know, that's a good point. But considering the other acts included were...

Bruce Springsteen

Guns and Roses

Michael Jackson

Public Enemy

Prince

REM

George Michael

The Smiths

Joy Division

...I have to confess to really not having a clue what the criteria were for choosing these people. Which isn't to say that I don't think they don't deserve to be there (apart from this UK thing)just that - how do some of them get in and Duran don't? I don't get it. ;)

We're supposed to vote for one of these acts to be inducted into the 80s section and I'm thinking it'll have to be George Michael for me.

Five acts that have been selected for induction without having to be voted in are Elvis, The Beatles, Bob Marley, Madonna and U2. Hmmmm - yeah, if I were on the panel I'd have argued against a couple of those too.

Anyhoo...

who's public enemy???

John Connor in T2: Judgment Day wore a Public Enemy T-shirt. Public Enemy are one of the most important and successful hip-hop bands who had members such as Chuck D, Flavor Flav (the one with the big clock around his neck) and Terminator X, hence the T-shirt in T2.

There music appears on a number of Spike Lee films like Do The Right Thing and He Got Game.

There hit album "Fear Of The Black Planet" was the inspiration of that really, really poo poo film called Fear Of The Black Hat which was meant to be the This Is Spinal Tap of hip-hop...it was woefull.

Oh and they headlined Reading Festival sometime in the early 90s I think and the Pheonix Festival too.