Improvements for C7

But i felt sorry for all the people being ram raided by mothers with pushchairs who had no intention of meeting guests.

I felt sorry for the mothers with pushchairs and more particularly the small kids there - at times I felt claustrophobic, so what must it have been like for kids who are only 2 or 3 feet tall? It sems harsh to penalise locals who quite legitimately want to do their Saturday shopping.

It needed a larger and better organised area. I had a great time, but all the same by the end of Saturday I just wanted to get out of there and breath again.

I would like to see it in a larger area/venue - whether that be in MK or elsewhere.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that people who regularly shop at Milton Keynes would more than likely know about collectormania as its advertised in the centre via leaflets and its on the main Milton Keneys map. I realise that there will be those who arent aware tho. Plus more often than not there is something going on in that big space from wedding displays to toy fairs to a HUGE christmas display........ and lets face it where collectormania is actually held there arent all that many shops...... plus its good practice for christmas shopping!!!!!

I have to say I love the fact that its held in a shopping centre. At C5 may camera jammed. If I had been in a big conference centre or other hall I would have been stuck but as it was in MK i just legged it down to jessops who sorted the problem out for me (I had a picture of me and corin nemec on there :D ) It also meant i could get the picture developed and enlarged. I then went back and asked hiim to sign that photo too :P

There are advantages and disadvantages of anywhere this sort of event is held. But at least you dont have to pay huge amounts of money for a bottle of coke at MK!!

Anyway, these are just my thoughts, but hey you cant please everyone all of the time!

:D

as members of the crew we would have to say to the atendees:

pay attention to the crew. we are not trying to herd you like cattle we are just trying to keep things moving so that there are no accidents and to make sure people find the guests they are there to see.

as for members of the public who are not attending there is not a lot we can do about it if they refuse to move and rubber neck at the guests.

so please be nice to the crew ( we know most of you are) ad hopefully things will go smoothly.

in refference to the suggested photo session we dont know what showmasters think of this but if there was an orgonised photo session this would take away from the guest signing time so they wouldnt be able to see as many people. plus it would then cost extra and would need a seperate area thus taking up more of the availabe floor space. it is up to you so please be aware of the consiquenses of asking showmasters for this.

we had a great time and hope to see you all at C7

all the best

sarah and beckyXX :lol:

Theres nothing wrong with Middleton Hall.  :uhoh:

I think crowd control around the Costa bit is needed, just cuz I noticed when I was tryin to walk to the info desk I cud get to that end in like 10 seconds n then it took me AGES just to get thru that bit :rolleyes: But other than that, I think the hall is a great place .. free access etc ...

That area's always the same. Maybe try and sort something there but other than that I don't see any reason to change the venue.

The only solution to that as far as I can see, is to not have any guests down that end whatsoever. This way, there will be no reason for people passing through to stop and look, thus keeping the area moving freely.

I can see you point.  What if the sides were open, just the entrance to the queues closed of.  That way you could get to the queues easily and it wouldn't block the paths through.

then the side would be crowded as hell.

nope i think they should get another venue in MK somewhere.

If the sides are busy then it can be easily managed and marshelled rather than blocking access points to the queues and walkways.

• Moderators

The problem with crowd control is simple - some people just blatantly IGNORE it and don't listen! The number of times I got told to shut up and f*ck off by members of the public for trying to move them on, and the sh*t that pit bosses etc had to put up with was pathetic. I know people complain about crew being rude, but if they've been wound up all day by people refusing to do stuff then it's not surprising.

Yes, crowd control is ESSENTIAL and I must admit the Costa end is absolute HELL to get through ... there's hardly any room between the chairs outside Costa and the end of the queues for the guests so if only a few people are standing around in that area, it gets very easily congested. But to be honest, it's never been any different!

Sadly, many members of the public (whether actual fans, or just shoppers) do make it extremely hard to control the masses because of their blatant refusals to move on. Now, I'm not being rude but there are people who turn up who want to spend their money etc and of course they have to take preference over people who just randomly turn up for a look.

As much as crowd control by CREW is essential, how about some self-control by the crowd themselves!

I totally agree. If people just listen to the crew it would make things so much easier! The only reason you should stop near the walk ways is to get a queue ticket or join a queue.

I don't think i've ever come back from an event so bruised!!!

There are always gonna be a select few that don't listen and make things harder for others so i don't think we can change that fact unfortunately.

Edited by mooby81

I've done a little Crowd Controlling on Saturday morning, at Carrie Fisher's queue, and I totally agree with David. Now I believe I was nice enough to everyone I spoke to, but people just don't seem willing to understand why they have to move. The only thing that helped a little, was mentioning safety reasons. But as long as people don't have breathing problems, even that seems far-fetched for them, I guess.

The rudeness and arrogence of some people really winds me up.. this is why I normally go on a Friday.

I was trying to get passed while crew were asking people nicely to move along. Would they...no, just stopped and gawped. Even the centre security were having no luck.

This is why I think a seperate viewing area is required to keep walkways free.

:rolleyes: Bear some thought for some of the fans that had to trvel from miles away then to be told they cant get an autograph. I travelled there to be told on saturday that i could get an autograph but i had to wait till 5. And at 5 i was told there was no hope of getting an autograph because billy boyd was taking to long signig autographs and taking photos.

:wub: Bear some thought for some of the fans that had to trvel from miles away then to be told they cant get an autograph. I travelled there to be told on saturday that i could get an autograph but i had to wait till 5. And at 5 i was told there was no hope of getting an autograph because billy boyd was taking to long signig autographs and taking photos.

the exact same thing happened to me 8 hours on a bus and i still didnt get to meet him, gutted!!!

x

:wub: Bear some thought for some of the fans that had to trvel from miles away then to be told they cant get an autograph. I travelled there to be told on saturday that i could get an autograph but i had to wait till 5. And at 5 i was told there was no hope of getting an autograph because billy boyd was taking to long signig autographs and taking photos.

Not every one on Sat had a photo with him, i was told i couldn't ask him and i didn't, simply to move the queue through quicker. They tried to get as many through as possible without disappointing people. I thought the people on the Billy queue on Sat did a really good job, they had a crew member taking pics for people and people going up and down the queue checking everyone was ready with their stuff to get signed. It was quite well organized.

I'm sorry u didn't get to meet Billy but the only thing you can do to lesson teh risk of that happeneing is to get there earlier. Nobody can change the amount of people in front of you in the queue.

I don't see theres any need to change the venue, but i wish the general public would just avoid doing their shopping that weekend, and (as unbelieveable as this is) there were actually quite a few people there who had no idea the event was going on and stood there moaning about it in the crowds whilst trying to see who was signing. If all the lurkers moved on and stayed away from the area it would be easier to organize the queues

Now, I'm not being rude but there are people who turn up who want to spend their money etc and of course they have to take preference over people who just randomly turn up for a look.

As much as crowd control by CREW is essential, how about some self-control by the crowd themselves!

How do you differentiate between people who want to spend money, and people who just randomly turn up? How do you know, that 'Joe Public' standing near one of the guests to just have a look, but not queuing for a ticket, hasn't just spent £100 on autographs of other guests around the hall. You don't. Does that make them have any less right to be there?

Obviously, people who are queuing for tickets, need to get in and out, and the Costa area is only congested because of the limited space there is to walk through anyway. Like I said earlier, if there were no guests there at all, then there would be no congestion.

Also, as for the comment about people not moving on and standing to have a look, with all due respect, it is only to be expected really. Seeing the likes of Carrie Fisher in MK shopping centre is hardly a regular thing, so it is only natural that people will want to stand and look at them for a while.

In a nutshell, I can see it from both points of view. I don't have the answers, and I have to say, I didn't have any problems with any of the crew at C6. I just think that if there is no problem with space, queues etc, then what harm will it do to let people stand and watch?

• Moderators

I'm not saying I, or anyone else, can tell the difference between money/random people. It's not possible, I think it's more up to the actual people themselves. It might be natural for people to stand around and have a look, I accept that, but a lot of the time it's really annoying too - especially if they've been politely asked to move on, and they refuse. There are people coming to spend their money, and obviously that's what the guests are appearing for, so they should be able to get through without the hassle of barging through however many people are there just to look. It's just about people being considerate and thinking about others, that's all, it's a pretty simple thing to do.

Like the other night, I went to Wembley Arena, and while I had seats, people kept standing up in front of me so I couldn't see anything - that's not being considerate, that's just being annoying and selfish, ya know? SOME people just need to be more considerate - obviously I can't say who, and I can't aim it at anyone specifically, but some people really don't respect the crew and it's annoying.

Lots of interesting points.

I wonder whether it may be better in future to put all the guests down the sides of John Lewis (Particularly on the Sat/Sun), freeing up more space for the dealer area which always seems congested. Even with all the Star Wars / LOTR guests there was still plenty of room down the sides Also this area is less likely to attract the general public as their are no further shops down this area.

Quality of photos that has come up a lot, so something to bear in mind for Showmasters I feel.

Also good idea of Too Tall to have a separate committe organising the Costume Comp, as you say Showmasters have enough on their plate already. Some people put a lot of time into their costumes, and it is a shame some even missed the competition altogether.

A difficult one I suspect on the photos rule, I suppose like anything else people are after some form of consistency, so perhaps if certain celebs have set rules in place generally, like no flash or posed photos etc, this could even be publicised before hand on the web site in future, so no surprise/disappointments on the day.

Some good ideas though, keep them coming.

I stopped going to Collectormania after C4 because of the chaos and it seems it hasn't improved! Fortunately if anyone I really wanted to see went to one in future I am only 20 minutes from the venue so no biggie.

An event this size seems to me to need some professionalism when it comes to crowd control - someone in the thread mentioned that the public are incredibly rude and I am afraid that often that is the case and they need dealing with in a firm professional manner. How do you deal with someone, without being rude, who swears at you and refuses to move and is the 30th person that day to do so? If you don't know the answer consider whether you are suitable for doing the work.

I think the best value to be had from Collectormania is the cinema talks - you get a film and to see a number of the people from the film and ask questions if you want to, while hearing other people's questions which are often fascinating! Yes there is no autograph but i query the value of spending your money to be herded past guests in the manner that seems to have become customary at the recent Collectormanias. While I missed the first event I enjoyed 2 and 3 as it was before the really big guests and you could wander up, queue and get your signed photo and a book as well if you chose, without a mercenary money collector saying it was £15 per autograph.

That is paying for a signature, not paying to have your brief moment with someone you admire.

Edited by Jandel

....That is paying for a signature, not paying to have your brief moment with someone you admire.

what an excellent point!

I'm glad I am not the only person who gets a guests's auto AS PART of meeting them and not the REASON to meet them!

re: costa end

I doubt moving "bigger" guests down the SW side would help all THAT much, public would just get frustrated of not being able to see them as they'd be hiden behind plants like Carrie and BDW!

I for one had just spent £50 on autos from Carrie, was part of the crew and only wanted a quick pic (from the FLOOR through the door) as there was NO time when meeting her and I was told rudely no pics and to move away. as a member of a the crew I understand what's it's like to repeat yourself all day but also as a paying customer, I'd expect to atleast be treated with a little more respect, espesh as we really were herded though Carrie. how long does it take to take a photo with no flash through a door? easier to let some one take a quick pic than argue about it and disappoint and annoy people :D

they did this with Eliza Dushku at the nec and it seemed to work ok, let a few people at a time take pics and it minimisers the amount of disappointed people :unsure:

anyways soz back to the costa end :P

I really do think some of those nice fences they have at the post office and a few signs with BIG letters on would solve all the probs !! :D you could just sepparate that signing area all together then and still allow limited access! but the randoms and shoppers and darn people running over your feet with pushchairs wouldn't get in the way!!!!!! :P

surfy sah xx :lol:

edit: purple!! d'oh!

Edited by surfy_sah

The more I think about it, the more sense it seems to put all the guests down the two sides of John Lewis, these areas never get any where near as congested, even though they often have the biggest guests. Where as the queues at each end for the celebs around the dealer bit are always crazy as the shoppers get mixed into the throng. Even with all the extra Star Wars guests there was loads of space that still could have been used.

The Dealer area and information area in the Middleton Hall could then be expanded, to improve space and access.

Was it just me, or did anyone else feel that ShowMasters had tightened up so much in terms of seeing the guests and attempted organisation, that it made the whole event even less smooth-running?

For example, issuing tickets for minor guests...when it was obvious that they'd be back to open queues before lunchtime.

I remember when collectormania was more relaxed, and when such crowd-control measures were only needed for people like Elijah.

This one was purely organised chaos. And to be honest, I'd rather have chaos that came with the opportunity for a photo with the guest.

Me too :)

I'm confused about Dwight.  On the saturday he had signs saying no posed photos, and you say this was his choice, but both my sis and boyfriend got great photos with him, and he offered.

Ya see, it's exactly this type of confusion that's really annoying me now!

I was annoyed (on the day of the event) that Nicholas Brendon was 'No posed photos at all' but obviously it is understandable.

But then as some people were slagging him off I heard a woman go up to them and tell them that Showmasters had imposed the rule, and that it had nothing to do with Nicholas himself. Then I heard other stories which confused things also - such as that some people had had pictures with him (true or not - I don't know)

Inconsistency bugs me. I don't know who said what or where bits of information I heard exactly came from. All I ask for is a little bit of clarity as to what is going on next time.

I've heard some good arguments from people via msn conversations, but Im still think that the 'No posed photos' rule straightaway at the beginning of the day bugs me, as this opportunity for a picture was probably the only thing that (to my mind) put Showmasters' events a cut above the rest.

*sits down with a cuppa and a biccie* :)

Also! I did hear from someone (can't remember who) that as they went up to see a particular guest (cant remember who that was either!) they said something along the lines of "I know there's no posed pictures but ...." and the guest said "There isn't? Why not? Even the guest THEMSELF didn't know about the rule.

Egads, egads, egads ..... :lol:

Edited by Dezzy

And i'm glad i did we were herded through like sheep, a showmasters blokie asked us who we wanted it signed too, he then took the photo handed it to the girl she told nick who to sign it to he signed it looked up said have a nice day then started signing the next one

I was left standing there like whaa that was it that was £20 and there was an open queue there was what 5 people behind me.

Now THAT I don't agree with! :lol:

Edited by Dezzy

As for the suggestions for blocked entrances to the signing areas - that is a definate no-go to me .

Firstly , some of these so-called general public see some of the guests and think that they would like a signed photo , and there is no way that SM would wish to lose even this minimum of customers .

Secondly , I will never be able to afford autos from every guest and probably wouldn't buy them all even if I could , but that doesn't mean that I am not interested in seeing them - that is part of it to me ( as someone mentioned earlier ) it is not very often you get to see people like Carrie Fisher , or Robert Englund just sat there or wondering round the Mall .

Maybe at the Costa end there should be this fence seperating the guest entrances frrom the walkway , but there will never be enough room there , even with them .

C6 was unusual because , with the Star Wars reunion , there was about double the usual amount of guests , so it probably won't be quite as bad next time , and that probably made the whole thing seem less friendly this time .

I mentioned on another thread that maybe the Steward in charge of the guest can ask him/her before the start of signing if he will allow unpaid photos in the quieter moments . This can then be posted on the board at the start of the queue , and then everybody knows beforehand - some guests would not allow this , but others would of been quite happy to , but SM made a blanket ban and took away the opportunity for a lot of people .

I am sure the guests know that we do not have an endless supply of money , and some really do want a chance to meet their fans , and will happily pose for photos AS LONG AS THEY ARE NOT GETTING IN THE WAY OF PAYING CUSTOMERS . Maybe if everyone knows that you can only meet these people when there is an OPEN queue , there will be no misunderstanding and no sour grapes from people who can't get photos .

I know that guests like Bob Anderson and Peter Mayhew would not allow photos without autos , but it would be entirely up to the guests .

It would be impossible to cut down the number of stalls , as these help pay for CM in the first place , but there was a definate lack of room , especially on Saturday dinner , when the guests were having lunch .

As for having all the guests down the side of John Lewis - this is a very cramped area with narrow walkways - I think that it is OK at the moment , but agree with having the busier ones down there , and also with keeping a theme to each side .

I think that some of the photos were blurred , and had a bad cut , and I will never agree with having the SM website on the front - put it on the back , we know where we got them .

I think that there is also room for authors , and would love to see people like Stephen King , Shaun Hutson , Iain Banks , and Clive Barker , but do not know if they would be better at C7 or at the LFACCs .

I feel that the test-run with the wrestlers was a BIG PLUS for SM ( I am not interested , but there was an ongoing queue for both so good on SM ) , but would hope that these extra , not-quite actor people , were kept to people who actually deserve to be famous - not sat around in an house all days swearing and flirting like some have suggested .

Keep up the MIX and I enjoyed the Star Wars theme of C6 , so maybe try this ( on a smaller scale ) with other shows as in the ALIENS one at LFACC2 .

Edited by jesterrace

And i'm glad i did we were herded through like sheep, a showmasters blokie asked us who we wanted it signed too, he then took the photo handed it to the girl she told nick who to sign it to he signed it looked up said have a nice day then started signing the next one

I was left standing there like whaa that was it that was £20 and there was an open queue there was what 5 people behind me.

Now THAT I don't agree with! :lol:

you're right dezzy. i don't feel like i was treated this way when i met nicholas, to me he seemed genuinly polite to me. i was just happy for the chance to meet another buffy cast member as i hadn't met him before.

stop being mean :lol:

you're right dezzy. i don't feel like i was treated this way when i met nicholas, to me he seemed genuinly polite to me. i was just happy for the chance to meet another buffy cast member as i hadn't met him before.

stop being mean :angry:

This is all very difficult if you think about - there's gotta be this blance between getting your money's worth and getting a fair few people thruogh to meet the guest.

One thing I will never be happy with is them taking your money and shoving you through like you don't matter - that's happened to me at other cons and I felt like a piece of cr*p afterwards - like I just didnt matter :(

rightyo

as a completly new person to events of this type but having to organise large (not this big but several hundred potentially) and being involved in very large (some like the rhs much bigger than this) events heres a few suggestions to chew on.

1/ use a field for the event as they are cheaper and more spacious and less public (people drive past and stop if interested so you still get passing trade). (put up roadways and floored marquees for the guests and stalls invite stall holders to pay for premier plots (other events certainly make money just look at car boot sales and they pay bugger all for a plot). you could make extra money by cordening an area for camping and getting an exclusion certificate then charging for the camping (actually this could be done anyway).

2/ wandering fancy dress competition. us costumed people could be easily seen wandering round give each an id photo attached to a piece of paper, place them on a wall or notice board and then allow people to sign there name on the one they think should win the one with the most names gets presented with first prize at a ceremony along with the other three.

just a humble opinion of a complete newbie feel free to comment i wont be offended.