Books or films first?

showmasters

Did you read the books before you saw the films?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Did you read the books before you saw the films?

• I read the books before I saw the films
    • I saw the films which made me want to read the books
    • I've only seen the films
    • I've only read the books

• Showmasters Admin

I've just re-read Prisoner of Azkaban, Goblet of Fire and finally finished Order of the Phoenix (pass the tissues!!). The books are packed full of so much character development and storyline that you only get vague hints at in the films, and knowing the indepth story makes a big difference to what you see on screen, which got me wondering.

I'm curious to know how many people have been inspired to read the books having become fans of the films, or how many people were fans of the books already.

Oh, and for those of you who voted for number 3, GO AND READ THE BOOKS!! (Or if you're too busy like me then go and borrow the audio books from the library (unabridged edition of course!)). You're not going to believe some of the stuff they missed out of the first three films!

Andrea

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i read the books long before there was even any hint about a film.

i remember reading the first one as part of the carnegie awards way back in 97/98 i was sooo excited about it and i was telling everyone. i have this little book that i had to write reviews in and i go on and on about harry potter. and get this.... it didnt win the award! imagine that? a hp book didnt win! ... obviously because nobody listened to me when i said it was amazing! tut! lol

sometimes in infuriates me that there is so much hype now. ive loved these books for sooo long, and all of a sudden everyone likes it. even though i wanted people to know and appreciate it, i sometimes wish that it could go back to me rambling on an on about this amazing book that people have never heard of.

I saw the first film, then read all the books. To be quite honest, I hated it when any one mentioned HP on the tv, it was all too hyped up. But when I saw the film, I thought, 'oh, it is quite good'. Then i read the books and they were even better. I wish I'd read the book before seeing PS tho.

Amanda

nope they have been out much longer than that. the first one was released in 97 i think. if it wasnt 97 then 98. i read it through the carnegie awards.

unlike a lot of people who think the wait between books is hard now... i had to wait between every book. luckily it was only a year at first. but i couldnt go out and buy the box set. i didnt even know there was going to be a second book when i read the PS. so the wait now is infuriating for me!

i know exactly what you mean spikesbird. i know a lot of people that wont even give the books a try simply because everyone else likes them. or they think the films are crappy kids movies!

well, maybe they are but the books are a completely different medium. im so glad that there are people like you that can recognise that fact!

I saw the first film, then read all the books. To be quite honest, I hated it when any one mentioned HP on the tv, it was all too hyped up. But when I saw the film, I thought, 'oh, it is quite good'. Then i read the books and they were even better. I wish I'd read the book before seeing PS tho.

Amanda

omg thats the same wiv me, i just didnt kno wot all the fuss woz about lol until now.

As far as films inspired by books go I have always preferred to read them first, although in most cases when I read them I had no idea there were going to be films. Yes the films are often good, but I think it is better to have your own image in your mind first, so that the films cannot influence your reading. Lord of the Rings is another example where the books and the films are both excellent, but in their own right.

hey there!

I read the books before seeing the films.

I love them, so much more than the films, I do love the films, but the books are definately tops for me. It is true about the character development and EVERYTHING is in so much more detail in the written word.

luv me x x x

It was definitly the books first, I think I started to read the first one just before the POA book came out (1999?) hehe I was still at primary school :P Even though I love the films I love the books so much more. There is nothing better than reading and making your own interpretation of what you the characters should look like and where they are should look like.

I Saw PS at the cinema first, then read the books now i'm such a huge book fan i'd have liked to read them first but there you go same with LOTR i saw Fellowshipn then read the books

I like the films but there nothing on the books :)

I read all 4 one after the other then had the agony of waiting for book 5 lmao

Edited by Wyn

nope they have been out much longer than that. the first one was released in 97 i think. if it wasnt 97 then 98. i read it through the carnegie awards.

unlike a lot of people who think the wait between books is hard now... i had to wait between every book. luckily it was only a year at first. but i couldnt go out and buy the box set. i didnt even know there was going to be a second book when i read the PS. so the wait now is infuriating for me!

i know exactly what you mean spikesbird. i know a lot of people that wont even give the books a try simply because everyone else likes them. or they think the films are crappy kids movies!

well, maybe they are but the books are a completely different medium. im so glad that there are people like you that can recognise that fact!

yeah, I think it was 97.

It must be awful waiting between books. I only had to wait for OOTP and now HBP. I think I would rather wait longer tho, cos once the 7th book is published, then thats it. No more books to look forward too. And it means there won't be any rumours and theories, which I really enjoy.

I think many people are scared of reading Harry Potter because it is classed as a childrens book, and they don't want to be seen reading it.

I think that is partly what I thought before I read them. I only saw the 1st film by accident but I'm glad I did because I'm certain I would not have read the books. And now, I don't care if something is classed as a kids book, I will still read it if it appeals to me.

(sorry for the long post!)

Amanda

yeah, I think it was 97.

It must be awful waiting between books. I only had to wait for OOTP and now HBP. I think I would rather wait longer tho, cos once the 7th book is published, then thats it. No more books to look forward too. And it means there won't be any rumours and theories, which I really enjoy.

I think many people are scared of reading Harry Potter because it is classed as a childrens book, and they don't want to be seen reading it.

I think that is partly what I thought before I read them. I only saw the 1st film by accident but I'm glad I did because I'm certain I would not have read the books. And now, I don't care if something is classed as a kids book, I will still read it if it appeals to me.

(sorry for the long post!)

Amanda

i agree. a lot of people wont read what they think are kids books. but often they are a lot more deep and meaningful than adults books. the themes tend to be about learning and growth. and they are often really beautiful. and to be honest... what better way to look at the world than through a childs eyes!??!!?!?!

I saw the first film then read all of the books (well up to Goblet of fire, Phoenix wasn't out yet) before the second film came out. I love them now and have read them all about 50 times.

My order of the phoenix has been kidnapped by my brother and taken to Bristol (a long, long way from where i live), so i havent read that one in ages.

*sniff*

I read the books well before the films came out! I first read Harry Potter about 1998! To tell you the truth it was all doen to boredness! I was in a car on the way to plymouth to see a friend at Uni. I went with her Mum and Dad and her bro.

Her bro brought a book with him called Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone among other books of his! So I asked if I could read it cos I knew it was a long journey, so I did and by time we got to Plymouth I had read most of the book and didnt want to put it down! So I was hooked! Waited for the others to come out and got excited when they said a film was gunna be made!

I am really really glad that I read the books before I saw the films. I still have my own portrials of what everything looks like and its not gunna change! The people who say its a kids book are right! Because thats what they are, but they are amazing books! Its them who are missing out!

My Mum is an avid book reader and reads alot of crime etc. I got her to read the books! That was an amazing thing to do coz she never listens to me when it comes to books, I just MADE her! Then the rest of my family followed suit! But I cant wait for the next book, its gunna be fab!

BHPF :D

I've been reading the books for YEARS and YEARS!!! I feel old now!

I prefer the books cause you get all the hints and indepth versions of the characters etc but the films are great!!

I'm just worried what will happen to the 4th film as the book is alot longer - I really hope they dont miss out too much as it will ruin it!

im worried about the 4th film too.

not only have they got hell of a lot of info to get in there... and i know that people are gonna hate it before its even made for the simple fact that all the details just wont fit. but they have gona and got another new director! a british one this time!

this film is going to have yet another completely different feel to it. i can see the good and bad points to that...but.. i dunno... im still worried. and if it turns out like 4 weddings and a funeral i WILL cry!

im worried about the 4th film too.

not only have they got hell of a lot of info to get in there... and i know that people are gonna hate it before its even made for the simple fact that all the details just wont fit. but they have gona and got another new director! a british one this time!

this film is going to have yet another completely different feel to it. i can see the good and bad points to that...but.. i dunno... im still worried. and if it turns out like 4 weddings and a funeral i WILL cry!

Im REALLY REALLY worried about the 4th film now, after seeing POA and the HUGE amount of stuff they missed out im not at all optimistic that the 4th is going to be any better! For the pure fact that unless they make it 3-3 and a half hours long there is no point, every page of that book has something important in it and its gunna get totally blasted to peices!

What I reckon will be in the 4th film will be, Straight into the Quidditch world cup, no winky, no port keys, dark mark but still no winky, arrival of 2 more schools, first task, second task, third task, voldy the end! No S.P.E.W No in betweeny bits, they just wouldnt be able to do it! It will look to rushed other wise! Just like POA! In POA they could have cut the crappy tree/bird scenes and added extra in the shrieking shack!! I could ramble for ages but I wont! U will all just think im a great big bloody moaner! Well I am lol! Its probably best if I just dont go see the film! :wub:

Calm down bigharrypotterfan. It sounds like the lastest film has really pushed you to the edge. When comparing it to the book it is really bad. But you have to try and seperate the two, and think of the films as just a bonus or an impression of the books. I agree with everyone that the films aren't as good as the books, but I can't completely dis them because without them I would never have read the books, and I think it is the same for other people too.

I think the fourth film will be OK. I heard it is going to be very long, but they are going to have an interval inbetween. I wish they were not missing the dursleys out and the world cup, but maybe we will get some more quality moments that we remember from the books, or maybe not!

I hope so anyway.

Amanda

• Showmasters Admin

Sorry about this David!

LINK TO WHAT THE IMDB HAS TO SAY ABOUT GOBLET OF FIRE

The interesting passage is the second one and the third from last. Also if you check the cast list no-one's been cast as Winky (or Dobby!), so you're probably right about that too. But hopefully it will be a longer film than PoA (which could have been 30 mins longer in my opinion) so they could fit a bit more into it. They'll most likely include the Ball as well, just to fit in the Harry-Cho-Hermione-Victor love interest bit.

I agree about forming a picture of a character from a book before seeing them on film, however some of the actors chosen are spot on. I'm sure JKR based McGonagall on Maggie Smith's role in The Pride of Miss Jean Brodie because she fits the part perfectly! Hagrid, Snape and Lupin are also perfectly cast, and Gay Oldman is prety close to what I imagined Sirius to be.

I just treat the films and books seperately, I like both of them in different ways.

Andrea

well said andrea :lol:

when i was an extra in the first h.p i was lucky enough to have j,k rowling ask me what i thought about the casting, and, though i wont go into details i told her exactly what i thought n she thanked me for being honest lol :lol: did feel a bit mean though .

But in all honesty (my opinion) - POA was a complete letdown. Too much was left out and other bits should have been cut. The firebolt at the end had no significance as it never showed him wanting it and why. I like the first two films but the third was terrible