Saturday 31st

MsDeathstar

Just wanted to say a massive thank you to Showmasters this was my first ever con and apart from the chaos when queuing for photo shoots i had an absolutely fantastic day everyone was friendly and very helpful. The guests were amazing when signing autographs many were happy to pose for photos and they seemed genuinely pleased to meet us made this first experience all i hoped and more. Thank you :clap:

Just wanted to say a massive thank you to Showmasters this was my first ever con and apart from the chaos when queuing for photo shoots i had an absolutely fantastic day everyone was friendly and very helpful. The guests were amazing when signing autographs many were happy to pose for photos and they seemed genuinely pleased to meet us made this first experience all i hoped and more. Thank you :clap:

Totally agree with you Ms Deathstar... Just got back to our hotel and can honestly say I have had an absolutely excellent day. Bit of confusion with regards to photoshoots but all in all I got to do what I came to do.... Big thank you to showmasters and the stars for a totally fab day x

I have to say for the first one in Cardiff, I think it was good. What shocked me the most was that there were still people queuing to get in at quarter to three! We were just leaving so were amazed to see this, especially as there are never any queues come lunchtime in London! I have to say I think we all underestimated just how popular this would be, but it is fantastic to see such interest in the show!

Wow, Just got home after attending Wales Con. What a day. It certainly was very busy. I saw queues still trying to get in after 1pm. The queue went around the block. Venue was small. Photo shoots which I spent all my time in were upstairs. There seemed a bit of confusion up there, I think as the queues got longer and longer there seemed a lack of staff in the middle. I queued over 30mins in one of the Talk areas we were snaked around and staff were there arranging this but as the queue went into the corridor there was no staff only at the Entrance of the photo shoot, Hence people just jumped in via the middle? Never mind it got sorted in the end. but it was very warm up there. A great list of guests and many of them inter acting with you in the photo shoots. It's a shame I could not do Sunday, but got to be back at work and earn lots of money to pay for the next event. Certainly will be there next year in March 14. Well Done SM and to all your staff... :clap:

I have to say for the first one in Cardiff, I think it was good. What shocked me the most was that there were still people queuing to get in at quarter to three! We were just leaving so were amazed to see this, especially as there are never any queues come lunchtime in London! I have to say I think we all underestimated just how popular this would be, but it is fantastic to see such interest in the show!

Were you at/outside LFCC this year on the saturday? The pay-on-the-day was still huge way past lunch!

Anyway, was a great first time event. Met Gail Simone only but she was incredible! More New 52 comic guests please!

Have to say though, this had the same feeling I got from the later MK events in the shopping centre. Way too many people for the size available. After spending a few hours inside I already felt like the event had outgrown the venue lol And this is halfway through it's first day! I've not seen dealer table congestion like that since (as I mentioned) the last few MKs in the centre. That event took a good few years to outgrow the space it had. This feels like it's done it in one day.

I know you guys sold more pre-booked than ever for a first time event, but were the on-the-day numbers as suprising to you as they were to me. It seemed likethe event was ready for a lot less people than that (despite everything running fine).

Next year with good word of mouth and such from this event, you'll egt even MORE people. And based on this weekend and the venue size, I worry that it's alreayd too small.

• Like 1

Were you at/outside LFCC this year on the saturday? The pay-on-the-day was still huge way past lunch!

Anyway, was a great first time event. Met Gail Simone only but she was incredible! More New 52 comic guests please!

Have to say though, this had the same feeling I got from the later MK events in the shopping centre. Way too many people for the size available. After spending a few hours inside I already felt like the event had outgrown the venue lol And this is halfway through it's first day! I've not seen dealer table congestion like that since (as I mentioned) the last few MKs in the centre. That event took a good few years to outgrow the space it had. This feels like it's done it in one day.

I know you guys sold more pre-booked than ever for a first time event, but were the on-the-day numbers as suprising to you as they were to me. It seemed likethe event was ready for a lot less people than that (despite everything running fine).

Next year with good word of mouth and such from this event, you'll egt even MORE people. And based on this weekend and the venue size, I worry that it's alreayd too small.

I was there at LFCC on the Saturday. Me and my son went out for lunch around 1pm I think it was and there was no queue at all!

I've not seen dealer table congestion like that since (as I mentioned) the last few MKs in the centre. That event took a good few years to outgrow the space it had. This feels like it's done it in one day.

We arrived about 2.30 or 3 pm and were shocked by the size fhe queue. I briefly went inside (I needed to check something out at the information booth) and found the venue packed out. It felt a bit claustrophobic to be honest. So as my partner only wanted to meet one actor (who wasn't one of the main guests) we went away again , had something to eat, and came back about an hour later, when, much to our relief , it was quieter. My partner got to spend 10 minutes chatting to the guest who had an empty queue by then, and we spent the next 2 hours browsing the dealers stalls. It was still busy, but not to the point of discomfort, which it had been earlier

A difficult thing though in Wales is to try and a find a suitable venue.. Being from the area there aint much to go and look at.. Personally I feel the Millenium Stadium will be to big n there no other venues of a decent size in other parts of Wales

Cardiff (and Wales in general) has no other sporting-style arenas? No big centres?

Maybe there's a way to squeeze more space out of the Motorpoint, but for me if it was this busy the first time? The next few years (if it stays put) will get worse and worse for congestion. Every other SM event expands to meet the demands (even on a saturday now I can easily walk down an aisle at LFCC as they are now so wide)

Cardiff (and Wales in general) has no other sporting-style arenas? No big centres?

Maybe there's a way to squeeze more space out of the Motorpoint, but for me if it was this busy the first time? The next few years (if it stays put) will get worse and worse for congestion. Every other SM event expands to meet the demands (even on a saturday now I can easily walk down an aisle at LFCC as they are now so wide)

Not really... as mentioned above, the Millennium Stadium is in the city centre but I don't think (from my very limited knowledge of its internals) that it'd be particularly well suited for a convention like this. Everything has to be based around the main hall, and the one in the Motorpoint is the biggest I can think of in Cardiff at least. If Newport or Swansea have something bigger, I'm not aware (although I'm pretty sure Newport doesn't), but Cardiff tends to be the place to go for bigger events.

Why could they not use the 1st Floor? I see it was out of bounds as someone was sat outside guarding the doors all day. Depending on what was on the 1st level they could use some of that space in future.

I was under the presumption that 1st Floor was being used as a back stage area, but regardless - the venue was massively understaffed (by Motorpoint people, as they were lead to believe this would be a MUCH small event) so from a legal point of view I don't think they would've been allowed to open up another area. Hell, I'm not convinced the amount of people they had in per members of staff was exactly legal, but there weren't any problems at least.

Next event, Showmasters will have a better knowledge of the venue and the venue will be far better prepared to deal with that level of people. I don't think there'll be any major problems.

Not really... as mentioned above, the Millennium Stadium is in the city centre but I don't think (from my very limited knowledge of its internals) that it'd be particularly well suited for a convention like this. Everything has to be based around the main hall, and the one in the Motorpoint is the biggest I can think of in Cardiff at least. If Newport or Swansea have something bigger, I'm not aware (although I'm pretty sure Newport doesn't), but Cardiff tends to be the place to go for bigger events.

Why could they not use the 1st Floor? I see it was out of bounds as someone was sat outside guarding the doors all day. Depending on what was on the 1st level they could use some of that space in future.

I was under the presumption that 1st Floor was being used as a back stage area, but regardless - the venue was massively understaffed (by Motorpoint people, as they were lead to believe this would be a MUCH small event) so from a legal point of view I don't think they would've been allowed to open up another area. Hell, I'm not convinced the amount of people they had in per members of staff was exactly legal, but there weren't any problems at least.

Next event, Showmasters will have a better knowledge of the venue and the venue will be far better prepared to deal with that level of people. I don't think there'll be any major problems.

But credit where credit is due, the staff made a good job of the whole event. I lost my son and I reported it to the reception desk and within 30 seconds a radio message went out and the whole place was locked down. The staff at the main doors were keeping people from leaving and all areas were being checked. They found him within minutes of me reporting it so as far as I am concerned they were excellent...

Edited by amandajane7775
  • Like 3

I absolutely agree. I had a great time so I'm not at all moaning but it was so so congested. I felt so over-heated in my costume right away and found it hard to walk through crowds without knocking people with parts of my costume. I knwo that's my fault for wearing a costume but as there are quite a few cosplayers I know I'm not hte only one who had a hard time.

Also not being able to dump my huge bag in a cloak room was tough on the arm muscles. lol

Yeah I am in no way complaining, staff and event were good as always.

I just remember how MK got in the later years as they got more attendees and bigger guests, but the same space each time. The dealers got more and more congested and the queues got more and more mixed because of the lack of space.

Because of the amazing turn-out already for this event, I can see it going that was VERY fast. MK took years. I see this being too busy for the space by the 3rd event, if not the next one.

The Millenium Stadium would certainly be better for space. And plenty of (much needed) seating too!

They cover the pitch for events, and have a roof. The main problem would be whether the venue is free (there are a lot of rugby/football matches/other events held there) and obviously the cost of hiring it for a weekend. On that score it probably wouldn't be feasible.

For future events I would suggest finding somewhere in the arena where people could sit, just for a short while. It's hard work when you are on your feet all day, cramped and sweaty!!