Older stars for Autographica

Hans_Blaster

Older stars are great at Autographica, so heres some ideas -

Autographica is probably the only UK show where we could get these great Hollywood legends, and most are in their 70s and 80s now, so lets hope they get some at future shows. Autographica may be our only chance to ever meet these greats.

Other older stars I'd love to see at Autographica, health permitting of course:

Mickey Rooney (as can see from flinty's post in the Jane Russell thread - he's in UK at the very same time as Autographica)

Debbie Reynolds

Lauren Bacall (she's often in the UK - did a London booksigning last year, has been on most of the talk shows to promote her great book, and is currently filming here)

Jean Simmons

Olivia de Havilland (and any of the other surviving cast of Gone With the Wind)

Joan Fontaine

Shirley Temple

Doris Day

Kim Novak

Esther Williams

Eva Marie Saint (not only in lots of all time classics but now also Martha Kent in Superman Returns)

Jane Wyman

Vera Miles (Lila Crane in Psycho)

John Gavin (Sam Loomis in Psycho)

Joey Bishop (last surviving Rat Pack member)

James Garner

Peter Falk

Jack Klugman

Tony Curtis

Kirk Douglas

Charlton Heston

Sonny Bupp (the only living member of either the cast or crew of Citizen Kane. He played Charles Foster Kane III, Orson Welles's son).

Eli Wallach (he's in UK just one week before Autographica - thanks to Bohan for that info - so maybe he could attend if he's still here the following weekend)

Any surviving cast of Wizard of Oz, such as Meinhardt Raabe

Dino de Laurentiis, producer

Joseph Barbera, animation legend

Stan Lee, comics legend

Jake Lamotta, boxing legend

Harry Gregg, Man Utd legend

Peter Sallis

Clive Dunn

Vera Lynn

Chuck Yeager

Paul W. Tibbets, Jr. (WW2)

real life Dambusters survivors

Edmund Hillary

Stirling Moss

Murray Walker

Roger Bannister

Malcolm McDowell

Max von Sydow

Richard Roundtree

Michael Gough

Jack Palance

Ernest Borgnine

Karl Malden

Edited by Hans_Blaster

I love your suggestions Hans, the majority of those guests would be most welcome in my eyes. I wish Autographica could get a few of those names.

Just to let you know that Eli Wallach is over here in the UK next month, if you want the info send me an email at antbohan@hotmail.com

Good call Hans

It would be good to see some of those Hollywood legends, I guess the travelling is the real drawback at their time of life, not many will want to do long flights from California. Where as they don't have far to go for the local shows.

However, Autographica have brought across some good names before, like Kevin McCarthy and Tippi Hedren.

hello hans, apologies if i came across a little rude its just whenever ive changed the subject on a thread,ive either been told off or moved. however your list was good. no hard feelings. indio

960082[/snapback]

Hi indio. No problem. I didn't mean to jump at you in retaliation either - I know how boards can be, with things coming across in type different to what was meant. So no hard feelings from me either.

Hey, afterall, we all want the same thing - some great and rare guests, and in the UK any of the Hollywood greats of the past definitely fit that bill. Lets hope they get Jane Russell and any other big names that are still around from Hollywoods past.

Autographica is usually the place where it can happen, and fingers crossed this years final line up will be another great show, with any of these greats that they can get.

Hope they get some that you want.

:thumbup:

I love your suggestions Hans, the majority of those guests would be most welcome in my eyes.  I wish Autographica could get a few of those names.

Just to let you know that Eli Wallach is over here in the UK next month, if you want the info send me an email at antbohan@hotmail.com

960024[/snapback]

Thanks Bohan, thats very kind of you. I'll send you an email. I didn't know he was going to be in UK. Always wanted to see him, so many great films that he's been in.

Good call Hans

It would be good to see some of those Hollywood legends, I guess the travelling is the real drawback at their time of life, not many will want to do long flights from California. Where as they don't have far to go for the local shows.

However, Autographica have brought across some good names before, like Kevin McCarthy and Tippi Hedren.

960038[/snapback]

Yeah, I spoke to Dave about this last year when he and Garry were in Milton Keynes and Heathrow had been announced as the new venue for Autographica. He was hoping that having it at Heathrow would make it a bit easier to attract big US guests, with it being easier to just fly in and get straight to the venue. Hopefully that proves to be the case.

I can understand though why some wouldn't want to travel so much at that time of life, I guess it just depends on the individual. Lauren Bacall's often in UK, but some others probably don't leave US much these days due to health or just not wanting to be away from family etc. Totally understandable.

I know what you mean about the Hollywood show - if the star lives in LA then its a lot easier to get them to come just a few miles to the show.

But hey, with a bit of luck maybe they'll be able to convince some of these kind of stars to come. Just meeting some of them would be very cool. It would be like taking a trip through Hollywood history.

But hey, with a bit of luck maybe they'll be able to convince some of these kind of stars to come. Just meeting some of them would be very cool. It would be like taking a trip through Hollywood history.

960153[/snapback]

Now that sounds like a good theme for a future Autographica show, perhaps Hollywood Legends, or a Trip Through Hollywood History, with guests from each decade.

960153[/snapback]

Now that sounds like a good theme for a future Autographica show, perhaps Hollywood Legends, or a Trip Through Hollywood History, with guests from each decade.

960168[/snapback]

Yeah, exactly. It would suit me thats for sure, and I think it would be popular with others too.

A few years ago no-one would have thought a UK show would get lots of space guests, and Autographica made that happen, so anythings possible.

Hollywood At Heathrow.

:thumbup:

What about Richard Todd (The Longest Day, The Dam Busters), he's 87 though living in linconlshire.

960170[/snapback]

Yes, hes been at Autographica in 2003 and 2004, both at Coventry, so I'm sure he'd be a welcome return guest.

I was saying over in this thread -

http://showmastersonline.com/forums/index....showtopic=26728

that after meeting him at Autographica in 2003, maybe an idea for a future show would be to have him with some of the real life Dambusters survivors. They're often at Dambusters anniversary events, so they might be willing to attend Autographica too. Would make a nice multi signed item to have them on a nice Dambusters print.

There must be quite a few older British Film stars that are living some what nearer than their American counterparts.

For example:

A year or so ago, actress Sylvia Syms appeared with June Whitfield at a Q and A at the National Film Theatre, both of which would make great guests.

Sylvia starred alongside many great names, including John Mills, William Holden, Anthony Quayle, Orson Welles etc

And June Whitfield is a comedy legend, from appearances with Tony Hancock, through to things like Absolutely Fabulous.

There must be quite a few older British Film stars that are living some what nearer than their American counterparts.

For example:

A year or so ago, actress Sylvia Syms appeared with June Whitfield at a Q and A at the National Film Theatre, both of which would make great guests.

Sylvia starred alongside many great names, including John Mills, William Holden, Anthony Quayle, Orson Welles etc

And June Whitfield is a comedy legend, from appearances with Tony Hancock, through to things like Absolutely Fabulous.

960184[/snapback]

Couldn't agree more. I bet lots of our UK older legends live near to London, and I'd love to see them there. Its easy to forget that some of these stars are in their 70s and 80s now, because we see them younger in repeat on TV so often.

Any guests with such long careers have such a big appeal to collectors - so much to choose from to get signed. And from an organisers point of view it makes sense too, because with such big filmographies we're likely to get more than one autograph from such stars. I know I would :dance:

I guess as the British film industry dried up, there are not so many British film stars around from the heady days of the cinema, but there are certainly plenty of possibilites.

Another area of older stars, would be comedians (or comic actors), for example, as we have Norman Wisdom, how about people like Eric Sykes, Brian Murphy, June Whitfield, Barbara Windsor, Frank Thornton, Mollie Sugden, Gordon Kaye, Vicki Michelle etc

Actually, come to think of it, perpahs Autographica could actually do some re-unions for classic sit coms like:

Are you being Served - Mollie Sugden, Frank Thornton , John Inman etc

Allo Allo - Gordon Kaye, Vikki Michelle etc

Hi-De-Hi - Paul Shane, Ruth Madoc, Sue Pollard etc

Edited by GoldenGreen

Actually, come to think of it, perpahs Autographica could actually do some re-unions for classic sit coms like:

Are you being Served - Mollie Sugden, Frank Thornton , John Inman etc

Allo Allo - Gordon Kaye, Vikki Michelle etc

Hi-De-Hi - Paul Shane, Ruth Madoc, Sue Pollard etc

960254[/snapback]

I would definitely like to see that happen. Not many shows where we could have comedy stars so Autographica would be perfect for it.

And get some of the creators too -

Ray Galton and Alan Simpson

http://www.galtonandsimpson.com/

Jimmy Perry and David Croft

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/talent/c/croft_david.shtml

Clement and La Frenais.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0478588/

Eric Sykes would be brilliant. Not only great on his own, but also last surviving member from Goons writing.

Edited by Hans_Blaster

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with all these ideas. I'd go to a show just based on any of these type of guests appearing, the legendary names. This kind of guest is who I like the most.

I'd add Glenn Ford too - he made a 90th birthday appearance at a screening in LA earlier this year.

REALLY hope we get some in future.

Edited by TheOther

A certain Eli Wallach will be in this country as well at the end of May, would make a great guest.

976009[/snapback]

He'd be such a good guest. Saw him interviewed on tv recently. Seems like a nice guy.

His uk talk is only a week before Autographica. It would be very nice if he stayed a few days more to appear at this too.

Some more who I'd like to see,

Angela Lansbury

Julie Andrews

D1ck van Dyke

Omar Sharif

Julie Christie

Terence Stamp

Jack Klugman has been mentioned and he'd be brilliant - he's got a great book out called Tony and Me, all about his friendship with Tony Randall. It comes with a DVD that contains out takes from the The Odd Couple tv series.

Theres a site about the book: http://www.tonyandme.com/

Jacks been doing some book signings in U.S. for that so its possible he might want to come to U.K. for a signing show too.

Hes in one of my favourite films of all time, 12 Angry Men, and two of my fave tv series, Odd Couple and Quincy, so that would make me very happy! :thumbup: