Pictures for Autographs

brt1919

i suspect this may have been asked before but googling hasn't found an answer. If i want an autograph from someone, but I want a picture of them in a particular show (ie i want a signed image of the character on the wall rather than the actor) rather than a stock photo of them, are there copyright issues? So for GOT I can see a number of images on websites, so in theory there's nothing stopping me printing the image, binging it along & asking for it to be signed is there?

I'm guessing it's not a copyright issue as I'm sure I've seen a few images like this on sale at Cons. Secondary issue is for one of the people i'm interested in getting an autograph of, it's hard shall we say to find an image that isn't what might be be described as over 18 only. bearing in mind the event is likely to be attended by children as well as adults, is this likely to be somewhat frowned upon? I've also no desire to cause any embarassment to the guest, but am I going a bit OTT with the concern? is it better to send off an image for pre-order in this case? For the other guest there is no problem with finding fully clothed images of!!

Thanks

Mate, I don't think having a naked photo of the guest is a good idea. It could embarrass them, Although when they filmed the scene they maybe ok with it.. but having someone out of the blue slapping down a photo in front of them could embarrass them. Would you like a complete stranger to slap a photo of you in front of you and the photo showed you naked? then have lots of people looking over their shoulder and drooling? :drool::no:

With the first part, I cant see a problem with downloading an Image as long as it's for private use only..(I maybe wrong, and I'm sure a Mod on here will correct me if I am)

Generally speaking: The less clothing the bigger the potential problem. note "potential." Some guests will be fine, others not so much.

But usually the pictures provided are photos of the actors in their best known roles. For the GOT guests I can guarantee you there will be GOT photos. If there's any stock photos (as in the actor/actress let's say from a magazine photo call) there's always alternatives. Many guests won't even have the "stock photos."

As to copyright. If you didn't take the picture or haven't bought the copyright from whoever did then it remains rhe property of the person who took it or owns the copyright, usually the TV company for things relating to shows. Printing it without permission is usually a breach of that and some online printing companies will ask if you own the copyright to any picture you send to them.

Having said that, so many people do it it's unlikely anyone is going to pursue you about it as long as it's for personal use and you're not going to try and make money from it, reprint it in a publication, sell it etc.

Just because an image appears on the internet doesn't mean it's available for anyone to do what they like with it. Copyright still applies.

You're best buying from an official site or a recognised retailer- you usually find the photo you want and its high quality too.

I don't like to take a chance that the guest will have a photo I like. I got Majel Barrett's auto at a ST con years ago but the pics were all grainy poor-quality scans so I'm always a bit disappointed when I look at it.

Got some nice official SW photos ready for Collectormania Glasgow and have pre-bought my photos for signing at DST3