Great Horror TV shows

Indiana

With The Walking Dead, Bates Motel, True Blood etc leading the way in modern horror television, i got to wondering what your favourite horror related television shows have been over the years?

I remember I started with the Sci-Fi/horror hybrids The Twilight Zone and the Outer Limits, introduced to me by my science teacher of all people. This guy was a total geek, and explained the plot of Alien to us in detail even though we were only around 10 years old!

I used to love Armchair Thriller, especially the Quiet As A Nun episode that EVERYBODY spoke of in school the next day. And of course Hammer House of Horor/Mystery and Suspense, and Sapphire & Steel, which had its terrifying moments. I never really got into Tales of the Unexpected though. The theme music put me off for some reason.

There were also paranormal shows such as Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious World, and later on Strange But True with Michael Aspel. I also used to love the Ghost Stories at Christmas. I swear Christopher Lee used to read some.

And then of course there was Ghostwatch, which remains a firm favourite with me, but it meant that no one would ever take a chance on decent Halloween television again.

Then with Buffy The Vampire Slayer came teen horror - Charmed, Vampire Diaries, Teen Wolf, etc. Not all bad.

Horror is having a pretty decent television run at the moment. But I still love the classic stuff!

So what has been your horror viewing over the years?

• Like 1

I have to say my fave would be the original Twilight Zone, I think it's just perfect television. I only watched it for the first time about seven years ago but I instantly fell in love with it and just made that connection with me.

Masters of Horror had some great entries in it, Cigarette Burns by John Carpenter I thought was the best thing he'd done since Mouth of Madness. Sadly, there were a few episodes that I didn't enjoy quite so much but that's inevitable with shows like that, different people will relate to different stories.

One I really enjoyed and I think is criminally underrated/unheard of is Night Visions, almost like a pure horror version of Twilight Zone, hosted by Henry Rollins in the Rod Serling role. Nowhere in the same league as Twilight Zone but definitely worth watching if you can. The Jack Palance episode is really worth a watch.

I really enjoyed first season of American Horror Story, though season 2 was just a cluster**** of ideas which made for a frustrating narrative but season 3 is coming along nicely.

As a kid it would probably be Tales of the Unexpected, used to have a recurring dream about one of the episodes for years. I love the Hammer Horror TV stuff as well, although didn't see that till I was older. Always a bit disappointed in things like the Nightmare on Elm Street TV series but of the new TV stuff I quite enjoy series like True Blood and The Walking Dead.

I really enjoyed first season of American Horror Story, though season 2 was just a cluster**** of ideas which made for a frustrating narrative but season 3 is coming along nicely.

I haven't started 3 yet, but greatly enjoyed 1 & 2. I tend to save series up when I have room on Sky box to; I find they stick in the mind better

What I love about American Horror Story is each season is a whole new story, setting and character arc. Kathy Bates has been excellent in her role this new season and the scenes with her and Jessica Lange together just shows what fine actresses they both are. It's almost like an acting version of a dance off.

Edited by smcelhenny

Anyone remember kids cartoon The Groovie Ghoulies, with Frightening Frankie, Dangerous Drac and Weirdo Wolfy (plus the Mummy and others!).

Forgot to mention Tales From The Crypt and the animated Tales From The Cryptkeeper too.

Anyone remember kids cartoon The Groovie Ghoulies, with Frightening Frankie, Dangerous Drac and Weirdo Wolfy (plus the Mummy and others!).

Surprisingly I don't ! What channel and what sort of era did that air ?

I loved Scooby Doo though, still do ! I have fond memories of the Thirteen Ghosts of Scooby Doo and a recurring character called Vincent Van Ghoul, voiced by the one and only Vincent Price.

I remember getting excited for masters of horror each week. There were a few episodes that didn't quite hit the mark, but it was a great show. I had the theme as a ringtone for a while which totally freaked out the wife lol.

I remember the very last episode I saw was the Takashi Miike episode called Imprint, think it got banned although I'm not really sure. I remember watching it on Bravo late one night and that some of the images from that episode stuck with me for ages.

This would be a great show to bring back. There is so many new horror directors out there that could bring so much to this series.

My 4 year old daughter absolutely loves scooby now, so I get to watch it all day lol.

Not complaining.. but the older ones are the best lol.

My two boys absolutely love it, they are 4 and 6, makes much better watching than a lot of the other kids TV shows of today, I think we have just about watched every Scooby Doo DVD movie ever made animated and live action and there's been a lot of them ! I quite like the more recent Scooby Doo Incorporated series, but we love all the old ones as well and personally I'll alwayas have a soft spot for the older ones as those were the ones I remember watching when I was a kid, just wish we would get some more voiceover guests from Scooby Doo over here at LFCC or Collectormania. We've met a few guests over the years who had minor roles in the Scooby Doo universe but would love to meet Frank Welker, Grey Delisle etc

• Like 1

Masters of Horror would be my favourite, even with the dud episodes I still found something to love with them! Mainly for the crazy amount of extra's on each DVD! I loved Jenifer , Dance of the Dead and cigarette burns best. I had a good chat with Robert Englund last year about Dance of the Dead and I got a really cool print of it signed by him.

I love walking dead, true blood and American Horror Story though.

• Like 1

Masters of Horror would be my favourite, even with the dud episodes I still found something to love with them! Mainly for the crazy amount of extra's on each DVD! I loved Jenifer , Dance of the Dead and cigarette burns best. I had a good chat with Robert Englund last year about Dance of the Dead and I got a really cool print of it signed by him.

I love walking dead, true blood and American Horror Story though.

The Jennifer episode was great. Forgot all about that one.