Jason's thoughts from the weekend and some interesting info as wel

• Showmasters Admin

i think that the event is getting much bigger but remember there is now a lot to the people now attending the event that are not there for the guests just the show its self.

and another important thing most guests went to open queue even on the sat and on sunday things were very easy , maybe the few of you that feel this way should l just come on sunday as it was really a nice day and very little stress and everyone got to see the guests they wanted , so if 30% of the people that came on sat instead came on the sunday i can see the entire weekend being a really cool relaxed weekend, something to think about.

just a thought

jason

My usual preference is to attend on a Saturday for a number of reasons such as better public transport links and not having to work the next day. For this years show I ended up going on the Friday night and the Sunday and I have to say it did work out a lot easier, especially when I compared to the Saturday at MK this year which was so busy I ended up not enjoying it as much.

For what I think amounted to about five hours spread over the two days I ended up getting autographs from a lot of the main guests as well as some of the one day GoT people who did tend to have longer physical queues. I also managed to get a couple of drawings done in the comic area and a proper look round all the stalls. Only downside was it did mean I missed one of the Saturday only people I might have gone for otherwise but certainly this was an eye opener for how much easier non Saturdays can be.

Normally I only do the hotel based weekend events, and booked this as I was already going to be in London that weekend. I had standard entry tickets for Friday night and Sunday.

It was lovely to be able to walk around the dealers' stalls on Friday without a massive crush. My problem was Sunday, as I only wanted Sylvester Mccoy's autograph, and from going in at 11am precisely, I was waiting until nearly ten to four to be called to the queue.

If I can get to another Comic Con in future, I will be pre booking early entry and getting there early too to keep the queue numbers low. You live and learn....

I only went on the Sunday largely because it was my first time at a con and I was going with two other newbies as well. We just wanted the least stressful experience possible I think. It was pretty relaxed, and I'd definitely recommend those sick of rushing around to just stick to the Sunday, though I'd like to experience Saturday just for the buzz and arguably better atmosphere I think.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a really good time and will be back next year, assuming there are enough guests i like to make the trip profitable. Wouldn't even think about that if i was english, but plane tickets and hotels are expensive.

The only thing that bugged me is the behaviour of some guests who don't even bother to look at you when signing your stuff and not even answer to a hi. I'm not asking them to have a discussion with me, but when i spend 20 or 30£ on an auto, a minimum of courtesy is appreciated. That happened with a little number of guests and most of them were lovely (specially Amanda Tapping and Lena Headey amongst the big ones i've met). I understand they do this all day, but we attendees for the most are making sacrifices to be here and to get autos or photos that costs an eye.

I really had a problem in some guests files with the crews members or the artist's agents, i don't know, who were spying on you to make sure you weren't taking any picture from the guest at the table, and was ready to bark at you if you dared to try. I totally understand no posed photos for bigger guests. No photos when the guest is signing your stuff is a little less acceptable imo. But no picture at all, even when you're in the guest line, is ridiculous. It does no harm to anyone. Of course i'm talking about photos with flashes off, nobody wants to be flashed during three days non-stop.

I'm aware these are probably guests demands and are not the fault of SM, but at the end of the day, the result is the same.

Edited by Vonsid