Star Wars: Episode VII to be filmed in UK

filmcell

very cool....

The latest Star Wars film is to be made in the UK, producer Lucasfilm has said.

The seventh movie in the sci-fi series is due to start production next year and is scheduled for release in 2015.

Filming on previous Star Wars also took place in Britain at studios including Elstree, Shepperton and Leavesden.

Chancellor George Osborne met executives from Disney-owned Lucasfilm in London earlier this year to discuss the plans and the production is thought to be eligible for a tax break.

In a statement, Kathleen Kennedy, Lucasfilm president, said: "We've devoted serious time and attention to revisiting the origins of Star Wars as inspiration for our process on the new movie, and I'm thrilled that returning to the UK for production and utilising the incredible talent there can be a part of that."

The company said representatives from Lucasfilm met with Mr Osborne "to establish an agreement to produce Star Wars in the UK".

Mr Osborne said: "Today's announcement that the next Star Wars film will be shot and produced in the UK is great news for fans and our creative industries, and it is clear evidence that our incentives are attracting the largest studios back to the UK.

"I am personally committed to seeing more great films and television made in Britain."

In recent years hundreds of films have benefitted from tax relief, which require that at least 25% of the total production expenditure takes place in the UK.

Relief can be claimed on production expenditure in the UK, up to a maximum of 80% of the total budget.

Series revived

Disney announced it would be making three new Star Wars films after it purchased Lucasfilm, the company started by Star Wars creator George Lucas, in October 2012.

Star Wars: Episode VII will be directed by JJ Abrams, from a script by Little Miss Sunshine writer Michael Arndt.

The six films in the series have grossed more than £2.8bn ($4.4bn) at the worldwide box office.

Pinewood and Ealing studios were also used for production of previous Star Wars films.

The 1977 original, the Empire Strikes Back in 1980 and Return of the Jedi in 1983 were shot at UK studios, as well as on location across the world.

The series was revived in 1999 for three prequels. Studio production on the Phantom Menace took place at Leavesden studios in Hertfordshire, with Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith filmed in both the UK and Australia.

scenes would be shot in the Highlands and the Isle of Skye.

question is ..

how can i be an extra in this ........

Edited by filmcell
  • Like 1

They'll probably pick up all their extras from an experienced casting agency unfortunately, when i looked into being an extra, most companies wanted you to pay loads of money, then submit professional photos, and like most things now, if you have no experience what so ever, you have no hope :/ Always worth a shot though :D

I'm in an extra casting agency, though it tends to be small web series or student films.

I'm sure you'll al be surprised to hear that I've been a zombie a bunch of times, it is one of the easier casting to extra in as you very rarely need any experience in.

• Like 1

Just look them up online, there's loads that can give you a message if there's anything in the area that covers your interests/experience.

Most do need a fee to join properly, though you can generally get all the required info without an agent.

• Like 1

Just to point out, i have yet to be paid for any extra work I've done so though it's good fun and a great way to see the process of film making, a lot of it is long waits to the scene you will appear and even when it seems longer at the time they tend to be blink and you'll miss it moments.

Not trying to put anyone off, just putting it into perspective. I don't want to appear I think i'm doing anything glamorous.

• Like 1