memories of SM events

:help:

I am doing my final dissertation for my degree on photographs and memories, and I would like to know what other people think.

Would you remember the event as clearly as you do, if you did not have the photograph?

or do you think you would have forgotton or not seen things (details), or noted them, if you did not have the photograph?

(collectormania and LFCC memories wanted as I have used mine as an example, but just general thoughts wanted too)

Thanx for your help

Naomi

:P

I think photo's always help you remember certain events. In time memories fade and you will without doubt forget certain things that happened or faces you've seen. Thats why when I go to any cons or meetings my main thing is getting photo's, auto's are great but with a photo you get to remember that moment in time. I don't know what i would do if i didn't have all my photo's from over the last year and a half.

For example, I won the kiss with Thomas on the Saturday night and for that moment in time, it just went so quickly. I can't remember half of what was said and done but many people have sent me photo's of it and for me thats my way of remembering it. Its also helped me rememmber things that I had forgotten aswell. Things like where my hands were and for the life of me I can't remember his hands being bigger then my head!!!!! I also think photo's help to capture the feeling of the moment aswell. When i look at my photo's of the kiss, that same feeling of nerves come back just like the feeling I had at the time. Without doubt i think photo's are very important ;)

Thanx for your reply,

just to let you know I may be quoting some of the answers I get, if so I will credit it to your forum names unless you want me to put your real name or keep you anonimous. I will asume unless you state otherwise it is ok for me to quote you.

Any more replies would be good,

Thanx again

Naomi

:P

I think its good to have pictures cause you remember the best moments of something i.e. getting back stage at lfacc to meet billy, andy, bruce and sala, getting a kiss from thomas robins after giving him a pressie, hugging billy b etc. at the moment I can't really remember lfacc cause the memories seem to hae faded but when i look at the pictures i have it all comes back to me and i remember what a great time i had

Thanx for your reply,

just to let you know I may be quoting some of the answers I get, if so I will credit it to your forum names unless you want me to put your real name or keep you anonimous. I will asume unless you state otherwise it is ok for me to quote you.

Any more replies would be good,

Thanx again

Naomi

:D

I will answer honest - still thinking.

interesting questions , interesting subject

as a photographer , thaw manly of nature , I can say that it's a yes and no answer

No : I do remember things with out the photo :-)

Yes : when I take photos of nature ( usually storms , lightning est.) I will usually see things that I didn't before , or that because of the lightning itself I couldn't see but the camera did get and that is fuuun

but when I take pic of people it is to remember more clearly ...if that makes any sense :-)

and then ther is the art part of taking a photo of a person or nature which is something all together different as it allows you to put something of your self into it by diciding what , how , when , in what angel est to take the photo .

hope this helps :-)

Edited by Nili

Actually for me I find photographs actually detract from the memory. When I remember events like meeting guests oor friends I remember the emotions and feelings I felt at the time. When I look at photographs they come across as flat and lifeless. They're just pictures there's none of the emotion associated with them.

Often when I do see myself in photos I'm left wondering who it is. I never remember being like that. I can remember the event, but the photo just doesn't seem to represent that.

So I don't possess a camera and rarely pose for photos.

This is just my poor ever so humble opinion.

Regards.

David

Actually for me I find photographs actually detract from the memory. When I remember events like meeting guests oor friends I remember the emotions and feelings I felt at the time. When I look at photographs they come across as flat and lifeless. They're just pictures there's none of the emotion associated with them.

Often when I do see myself in photos I'm left wondering who it is. I never remember being like that. I can remember the event, but the photo just doesn't seem to represent that.

So I don't possess a camera and rarely pose for photos.

This is just my poor ever so humble opinion.

Regards.

David

so the pic i have of you is rear ;-)

see thers another good thing about photograpy geting somthing rear that you dont normaly see in every day life <hehehehehe> and then posting it on the net for every one to see :P

I think photograph can definately help your memories my wall is covered with photos from the LOTR guys and myself it keeps the memory fresh, another example of this is when I watched Good Charlotte in Birmingham the Monday after the ROTK premier those two days are still fresh in my mind but when I went to watch Metallica the following Saturday I cant remember as much as I didnt get any photos or souveniers from the day. So I definately say that photos help, although I can still remember hugging Elijah and I havent got a photo of that, but then again who would ever forget hugging the actor they have liked for over 10 years.

Hope this is of some help

More people please help, I need lots of opinions :wub:

Naomi

B)

ok seriously and to keep me around till the announcements :-)

I really think it depends on the person:

some people like me can find the emotion they hade when taking the pic or the pic makes that emotion stronger as well As the memory,

other don't need that, they have thaws memories well inside there harts forever

which is better nether booth are good

I think its more a thing of what triggers are memories , emotions , and that differs from person to person.

here is something for you :

recently I have been to Japan and was lucky to have a friend tape a little part of the trip , now on returning I had this very peaceful feeling ( Japan is a very calm place)which went away after a week or so , 2 weeks ago I got the tape ,wail watching it the feeling of peace and calm came over me and stayed with me for a copal of days

so for me pic' bring back memoris but emoshen to

hope this helps a bit more :-)

The photos can help retain and make certain memories stronger, however that can weaken other memories, of sighs smells, surroundings,, other people u met, places u went, a picture cant tell you all xxxxx

I think a lot depends on how much the people / person, or their work mean to you.

In terms of meeting celebrities, some of my best memories I don't have photos of.

I can remember really clearly meeting Sylvester Stallone and shaking his hand , but I have no photo of that, but I was excited because it was a film premiere and I was really hyped up and didn't know he was going to be there.

Where as some of the guests I have met at conventions, even when I see the photo, sometimes I forget I have even met them until I look back at the photo. Perhaps I have just met too many guests !

A lot of my memories from when I was a little kid though , I generally remember from photos I have , so I guess the memory dims with age.

Good luck with your dissertation anyway.

I think photos do help with the memories. I speak especially for me and my friends when we sang on stage for Dom, Andy, Sala & Co at C4. I know that I personally don't remember any of that... when I think back to what happened when we got on the stage, it all just doesn't seem like it happened. It was one huge blur and I still don't remember things I did, said etc... and so when people emailed us photos of us singing it really made me feel all warm inside because it showed me that it DID happen... and obviously having two photos of me hugging Dom helped me to treasure that moment.

Another thing too... at LFACC I took a video camera, and I know that DEFINITELY has helped me keep memories of meeting Billy! Because I watched it back the first time and noticed things I didn't notice at the time... and I still watch it now and realise stuff happened that I missed because I was so caught up in the moment.

For me, memories never fade, with or without photos. But having photos enables me to look back on them with a huge smile and realise how lucky I really am to have such amazing friends, and to have had the amazing experiences that I have had over the past few years :)

Stina xx

Well I have loads of photos of my two (so far...) SM events and I think they asdd to the memory, I remember all the emotions and sounds and smells and words, but I'm in such an emotional whirl that I often don't have mental pictures of everything until I get the pictures back. Then the pictures trigger something and I can often replay the entire meeting in my head like a video.

I don't know why, but I'd be lost without my camera!

As much as I love having all my photos with the LOTR stars and can't imagine not having them, I don't think I'd ever forget my experiences if I didn't have them. There are so many things that I wish I had photos of, such as Billy Boyd's face when he recognised me at the ROTK premiere, meeting Ian McKellen at BAFTA's, and Andy running over to hug me in the middle of a bookstore! But because they were spur of the moment reactions they're just not on film. Those things that you don't have photos of, to me anyway, stay as clear in your mind as if they were yesterday, while other little details may fade over time.

Having said that, every so often you get a really great photo that doesn't just remind you of your time, but enhances your memories of it. I have a photo of Billy and I in Glasgow after I went to see him sing in concert there last month, and the face Billy is making at the camera is insane I had no idea he was doing it when the photo was taken, but thinking back on it, it really captures how excited he was - it's not just a pose-for-the-camera photo. I get a big grin on my face every time I look at it :borg:

I agree with Stina about videocameras too tho. I remember (to finally relate this to a SM event lol) CM3 in the Two Towers talk when Billy said what's in my signature, at the time I had no clue what he'd said, I was so in shock that he'd said it! But someone got it on video & sent me it, and it's my abiding memory of C3 even tho I couldn't remember the chain of events exactly without the video :)

I think for me the best thing about having the photos is not only do they remind you every once in a while of the things you've done, but you can share those memories with other people who weren't able to be there at the time in a way that wouldn't be possible without having photos :)

lol sorry that was rather long!

Pauline xx

I lost all my photographs from Lfacc, however i have a good memory and its all there... sometimes i think "did that really happen" like it was all a dream or i'm kidding myself!

but i know it did... theres no such thing as conclusive proof *unless its to say you just met them* because theres no proof of what they said to you and what you said to them which is the memory.

I can rememeber clearly at the moment but i document it also as soon as i can.. that way i can look back and think WOW that really happened!

I think pictures are wonderful, i love to look back at my C3 and C4 pics, i still cant believe them, and sometimes i dont even bother, i guess its to the individual to decide whether photos are key to great memories. *hence your disertation*

Anyway, i dont think that for me photos are everything, it was the hug or smile or words that were not captured that stay longer, however blurry they get, pictures fade as much as memories.

hugs

Andrea x

cant wait to see the video......luff you stina!

• 4 weeks later...

I know you have finished it, but thought i would add something.....

I had my picture taken with Dom at C4, The only problem was, we was stood infront of the window, and the sun was shining. So it looks like Dom is cuddling a Ghost or something, there is just a big white light, instead of meeeee.

Gutted :D

I know you have finished it, but thought i would add something.....

I had my picture taken with Dom at C4, The only problem was, we was stood infront of the window, and the sun was shining. So it looks like Dom is cuddling a Ghost or something, there is just a big white light, instead of meeeee.

Gutted :P

awwww, Im sorry.