My first time at LFCC and a huge piece of luck

I went to LFCC on the Saturday as a bit of a last minute decision. I was attracted mainly by the Star Trek guests as well as Chris Judge and Karl Urban. If I am honest though, the mere thought of seeing Jeri Ryan had me sold from the start.

Lesson number 1: Don't be naive.

I rocked up to the event at about 11am thinking there would be a modest queue and upon entry I would breeze through the guests in a couple of hours. Ha! As I strode up to the building I saw literally hundreds upon hundreds of people queuing everywhere. It took me a good ten minutes to work out what line I should be in (by which time the queue had grown even more) but on a positive note it went down in no time. I was probably queuing no longer than half an hour.

Lesson number2: Don't expect to waltz in and get an autograph from everyone within an hour or two.

I got one autograph by the time I left. Jeri Ryan. And I was extremely lucky to get this. My wife and I walked up to Jeri's autograph area and was immediately told we couldn't get in without a pre-paid pass or VT. I hadn't pre paid and all the VTs had run out. That really shot the fox. I was gutted. Then a stroke of luck (or as I call it, two angels sent from above). Two elderly (ish) people walked up to me as I was moping away from Jeri's area and offered to sell me their ticket at below cost price so we could get in. I immediately pulled out my notes and said a big thank you and made my way over to Jeri's area just in time. Ten minutes later I was the proud holder of a signed auto from 'seven of nine'. My day was made. If this couple is reading, THANK YOU!

I went around to see the rest of the guests but the VT system was a joke. To see Hayden I got VT number 7 hundred and something. Hayden was due at 12.50 and was running pretty late. The VT queue was 0-300. Was I prepared to wait around all day for this girl? No chance - I was so happy with my Jeri auto I was fine to have no more actually. It turns out I probably made the right decision as I hear Hayden wasn't in the best of moods owing to Showmaster's over-working of the poor girl. Sure she is earning plenty of dollars but she isn't a work horse. Give her a break...

I was disappointed that Gates Mcfadden wouldn't allow photos (although I took a sneaky one anyway - even if she wouldn't remove her sun glasses INDOORS. Yes we know you are getting old Gates, no need to hide it). Chris Judge was a laugh. I stood very near to him as he did autos and he was so smiley and chatty. I feel sorry for the guests who didn't have a queue. There were a few. Must be a bit embarrassing.

Altogether a good day and looking fwd to star trek london in oct!

I was disappointed that Gates Mcfadden wouldn't allow photos (although I took a sneaky one anyway - even if she wouldn't remove her sun glasses INDOORS. Yes we know you are getting old Gates, no need to hide it).

Actually she has never done photos at the desk when I've seen her as the flashes give her migraines I believe. Even in the proper photoshoots they have to get the lighting just right so as not to be a problem for her.

And before you say "well I'll turn my flash off", people don't always do that or "forget" or say they can't do that on their camera etc, so it's best to just not allow it in her case.

I appreciate you may have found the restriction disappointing but it might be worth considering that there may be very good reasons why photographs are not allowed or other restrictions with some guests and in her particular case why she maybe had the glasses on as there were flashes going off all over the place (possibly even with the guests sat next to her) which do affect some people very badly.

Edited by Rockstar6662

I agree, it's people like you who take "sneaky photos" that end up ruining it for the rest of us by breaking the rules!

Gates has never had photos at the desk as she suffers from

severe migraines and her photoshoots are carefully planned to suit her!!

You might want to think that there are other reasons in place when you're breaking the rules next time.

Good point I never thought of that.

My initial thoughts were she was being stubborn or a bit precious about photos taken when she is not her best.

If they had put that reason up on the sign I wouldn't have taken a shot.

I'm wasn't trying to be insulting to the rules but for a life long star trek fan to see a star and be told no photos is quite tough.

Edited by en3sge

They shouldn't have to put reasons on signs, no photography means no photography, and you should adhere to that, what makes you different from the rest of us that follow these rules??

Not as bad as the people who film the talks and post them on youtube. I'm not even going to share the photo - its for my own collection and I did it w/o anyone seeing. No flash as the auto thought the lighting levels were fine.

Lesson number2: Don't expect to waltz in and get an autograph from everyone within an hour or two.

I went around to see the rest of the guests but the VT system was a joke. To see Hayden I got VT number 7 hundred and something. Hayden was due at 12.50 and was running pretty late. The VT queue was 0-300. Was I prepared to wait around all day for this girl? No chance - I was so happy with my Jeri auto I was fine to have no more actually.

I am a little confused, why was the VQ system a 'joke', just because you got a high number? Without the VQ system, there would still have been potentially 700 in front of you! What better system can you come up with?

I went around to see the rest of the guests but the VT system was a joke. To see Hayden I got VT number 7 hundred and something. Hayden was due at 12.50 and was running pretty late. The VT queue was 0-300. Was I prepared to wait around all day for this girl? No chance - I was so happy with my Jeri auto I was fine to have no more actually.

I am a little confused, why was the VQ system a 'joke', just because you got a high number? Without the VQ system, there would still have been potentially 700 in front of you! What better system can you come up with?

Maybe I should have re-phrased it. Gee I am getting some negative comments on this thread and I only just signed up.

I meant that getting 700 was a joke in terms of the time I wanted to stay at LFCC i.e. I hadn't got all day. As the system goes, it is fine but easily misunderstood by people - especially newbies. The VT system isn't explained well in simple language on web sites like LFCC, ST London etc and only on forums is the etiquette described well.

What makes me smile is that you bought vq tickets from someone, oh bless!!!!

Also just because your not going to share the picture doesn't mean it's right that you've taken a photo of someone who for medical reasons has requested no photography!!!

Also just because your not going to share the picture doesn't mean it's right that you've taken a photo of someone who for medical reasons has requested no photography!!!

I need to better write my messages in future. What I meant was the couple sold me their PRE-PAID ticket. I might be a newbie but I am not a fool.

I assumed it was the pre-paid tickets for Jeri that the people sold on, not VQ tickets, which are of course free to everyone.

EDIT: I see I was correct in that.

To be fair, not everyone is aware of the reasons and there's no need for it to be made public by posting it on the wall but I do wish everyone had the courtesy to abide by the signs even though they may find it disappointing.

I was gutted that I met Jeri first thing in the morning and she wasn't personalising yet she was later in the day, so by going early I missed out on that but the signs were up saying it so I knew what to expect. But she was lovely and I've still got two very nice signed photos and a lovely photoshoot pic.

Edited by Rockstar6662

Unless they'd bought it with their credit card then it would be a voucher that they could sell on!!

I still maintain people should adhere to the rules that are in place regardless, if it says no photos then it's got to be there for a reason!!!

You can't get a pre paid autograph ticket???

Well I'm not sure on exactly how this couple got it but it was a small ticket (white blue and black) with 'pre paid autograph' written on it for Jeri Ryan. It was accepted so I guess you can? Can anyone just clarify on this as if this person is correct Im not sure how I actually got in as I didn't have a little green VT ticket - I just showed this one.

Unless they'd bought it with their credit card then it would be a voucher that they could sell on!!

I still maintain people should adhere to the rules that are in place regardless, if it says no photos then it's got to be there for a reason!!!

I get the point by now. No need to further twist the knife in. An excited Star Trek fan just got a bit too excited. Many apologies to all those offended.

You can't get a pre paid autograph ticket???

Only for Jeri Ryan...

Now I do feel the gods were smiling upon me. Jeri only signed on Saturday and she is the only one to have pre paid auto tickets? And I just happened to meet the right people at the right time who didn't want their ticket? Me = luckiest guy ever.

I was disappointed that Gates Mcfadden wouldn't allow photos (although I took a sneaky one anyway - even if she wouldn't remove her sun glasses INDOORS. Yes we know you are getting old Gates, no need to hide it).

Don't know if anyone else has said it, but she suffers from migraines and too many flashes on a camera can set her off. She only ever does limited photoshoot numbers. The hall was quite bright and the sunglasses may have helped. My step-sister had to wear sunglasses indoors for a while for a similar condition.

I get the point by now. No need to further twist the knife in. An excited Star Trek fan just got a bit too excited. Many apologies to all those offended.

I saw this time that some guests had signs saying no photos on the backboards behind them - but I wasn't looking at Gates.

It is easy to think that it's preciousness that is the reason - often it is. Maybe we're too quick to judge, but as soon as the medical reason was pointed out to you here you understood and respected it, and I'm sure if one of the crew had explained it to you when you queued, you'd have respected it in person. Maybe that's an idea for future signings - have the volunteer running the queue warn people that for that particular celeb, the no photo rule is strictly enforced due to medical reasons.

Even for those who are desperate for a photo of their idol, I doubt many would want to cause physical discomfort to achieve it.

I hope the weekend was a success for you over all though. And hey, just think how many people might now consider the no flash thing for other celebs - you took a verbal bullet (so to speak) to spread the understanding a little ;)

• Like 1