No big guests for C5 and MK

The whole what is a big star is another debate altogether.

Don't get me wrong , I think it is great that there is an event such as Collectormania in Milton Keynes.

What I am really getting at, is that Showmasters are to some extent victims of their own success. They have organised such great events that they are now able to attract people like Elijah Wood or Val Kilmer who no one could have imagined would come to these events previously.

It is not really a case of whether I like or you like or whoever likes Milton Keynes or Wembley or Birmingham, just a practical one of space and being realistic.

The facts are that in the MK Centre, Showmasters cannot control the members of the public , because the public have free reign to walk, stand etc where they want to whether they are interested in the show or not. Also the MK Centre has only certain areas where Showmasters can put the guests.

In a pay on entry event like the LFACC, they can have better control over what happens in side. Firstly , if people have paid they are most likely fans of one or more of guests there and will be intending to meet them at some point during the day, they are not just there by chance going about their business and getting in the way.

Secondly, the way showmasters were able to separate the main guest area from the dealer area at LFACC is just something they couldnot do at MK, which means also you don't have all of the groups clashing together in the same space.

As I said previously, I am all for a show in MK and I would rather a guest came to this if this is the only time they are available. I am just saying it is common sense to try and book some of the guests they expect will attract a bigger following to the LFACC or perhaps a new third event at the NEC, rather than have a re-run of the chaos of C4.

maybe the guests could be set up differently in MK. you are right GG that it was nice to have [most] of them sepparate from the dealers, maybe something like dealers in the middle of the hall and guests on the edge for MK? yes I know this sounds what it's like already but without being able to draw it some how I'm not sure if you'll understand what I mean.

______________________________________________________________________________________

[wall]

GUESTS

DEALERS

GUESTS

______________________________[wall]___________________________________________________

now last time for example where the Star Trek guests were I know there was some sort of coffee thing in the way of my plan but I can't mem what was on the side of the like the HP guests - is there a space there so the guests might be againt the wall? (where the LotR peeps were set up was like a glass wall?!?!) soz I know this prob isn't making much sense but I have only been to MK for c4 and that was almost 6months ago! also I can't mem sorry!!! and as I'm sure you've noticed, my [attempted] drawings aren't too hot either!!!! :D :D

xx

Maybe they could locate more of the guests down the sides of the building away from the main shopping areas. They did this to some degree with the Hobbits, but there is more space further down towards the back of John Lewis on both sides. This may at least alleviate some of the bottlenecks.

Hey all, :D

Just wanted to add my opinion on this. It is true that the LLFC ran alot smoother etc even with big names lke Brent Spiner, Levar Burton and all the Lord of the rings stars. Don't forget that Brad Dourif is a big star and Robert Englund. THey may not attract the annoying screaming girls like Elijah wood did but still are two big stars. So why are people saying keep the big stars for London? these guys are legends beyond Elijah and the hobbits and are just as big stars. Particulalrly Brad who was a important character in the lotr films.

Of which i can't wait to meet.

This is just my own opinion and do not intend to offend anyone.

Take care

king of gondor :D

A big star is only a big star in certain peoples eyes. For example, when taking my autographs to work to show my colleagues, none of them had a clue who any of them were and that includes Elijah Wood, Chris Barrie, Verne Troyer, ANthony Stewart Head. To me, they are all huge stars, but some people have never heard of them.

All I'm trying to say is, there is no one way to define a big star.

Don't forget Milton Keynes is equally as far away for some people to get to as well.

Whilst better organisation at the MK Centre would improve things, there a number of things that are out of the control of Showmasters, namely the public who are just there shopping and also the array of people who basically just stand around getting in the way. Also the MK Centre is of a limited size which is also a restriction.

This doesn't mean there can't be a show in the MK Centre nor that there should be any less guests, just that logic says it would be better to have the larger Elijah type guests at the bigger venue where Showmasters can control the situation better.

However, I agree that if these guests can only make the MK Centre dates, it is better to have them here than not at all.

I just think it is common sense to focus more on these guests being at the LFACC in the future.

yes mk is far for some people and London is far for others, but both are far for me. My freind Jay gave us a lift to Mk for C4, but I was unable to attend London because she was not prepared to drive to London (I would not either if I could drive) which ment that on the train I would not have got there early enough to see who I wanted, and the trains are so expensive and I am a student. This basicly means that untill I am able to drive (Jay says she would atempt it if she had a driver next to her) or I win the lottery or somthing, and can aford to stay over, and get taxis and stuff, I cant go to London. So PLEASE stop saying that all the "big names" should be kept for London where possable. Plus SM are not going to change things so get over it, and change the record.

N

:lol:

A big star is only a big star in certain peoples eyes. For example, when taking my autographs to work to show my colleagues, none of them had a clue who any of them were and that includes Elijah Wood, Chris Barrie, Verne Troyer, ANthony Stewart Head. To me, they are all huge stars, but some people have never heard of them.

All I'm trying to say is, there is no one way to define a big star.

i gotta agree with you there!!!

and there are some guests at these events that other people see as big stars which im really not fussed about myself!

it all depends on you're interests really!

London was too expensive for me too! I couldnt go either. I depend on Collectormania for the big guests! I agree that it should be fans only and not just shoppers having a nose but how it would work i dont know!!

I agree with that!! I couldn't go to London....well I couldn't go cos I was doing D of E but I wouldn't have been able to go because it is a pay only entry and that is why I only go to Collectormania cos there are usually big guests and it is free entry!! Collectormania is the best event in my opinion but big guests like Dom should be put into a seperate location in MK shopping centre where only the people who know about Collectormania know its there. That way you don't get random Milton Keynesiers popping their heads round to see who is there!! lol. But definately still have to big guests cos otherwise I will cry!!

Plus, showmasters, where is DOM?

wow there a lot of good ideas for reworking the cm event,

here is my 2 pence, i think the event shuld be in MK as i have lived here all my life and am unable to get to such locations as london and birmingham as i have no xperiance of going to either place, so having a event like this is amazing

i thought of a sorta way to get rid of the gawpers, although i did like the santa's groto thing, but wuld there be a contingancy plan for someone like me who as a budding photographer is wanting to get good shots of some of the stars, how abt a sorta horse shoe shaped thing where u walk round snap a pic and move on, but neway, back to the main idea

they cld have either a little stage where each guest cld stand on and wave for like 1 min therefore giving the i came to see so and so crowd a chance to gawp and look without gettin in the way of ques. and people to take photos, or u cld have a sorta entance way/red carpet thing for them to walk down, bt that could delay them as they cld get stopped, ect bt it wuld eliminate gawpers, bt i also think that no matter where u have it, u are going to get people gawping. LFACC probably had a fair share of gawpers bt not in the numbers that mk does, but there are several other locations in milton keynes u cld hold an event in and charge to get in ala LFACC one idea wuld be to put it in Cambel Park in a big circus style tent :) and the big stars in smaller tents so no one can gawp at them

u prolly all hate these ideas bt here they are

The NEC in Birmingham is a good compromise for everybody with it being centrally located.

It has good facilities and parking with enough floor space to prepare special closed off booths for more prestige celebrities.

Entrance should always be free as we pay enough money for autographs etc...

Celebrities should always take the time for pictures to be taken with them. Its not asking much for Christs sake considering the time and expense the fans put in.

Virtual queueing should always be in operation.

And everybody should accept that the big stars have got far better things to do than attend these sort of events. You are only ever going to get those who can't get acting jobs anymore and need the money, those who work irregularly and have time on their hands, plus, up and coming actors. Yes, there is the odd so-called 'A' list celebrity, but these are few and far between.

Stop asking and expecting the impossible. I'm sure Showmasters make every attempt to get the most popular and requested people. Far too many fans are completely unrealistic about who they expect to see at these events. Enjoy the experience and the company of those you do get the chance to meet.

I'm not sure i agree, because although Lfacc had a bigger space, the area where they put elijah and dom and sean and andy, were much more spacious and it was better because it was just them.

MK has a lovely feel to it and I felt because it was much more open plan, much less clostraphobic. I shopping centre in MK is nice and airy. Also, they have big windows so the photos come out much better!!!!

Also, if you are somewhere like wembley then you have to put up with their disgusting food, whereas in mk there is loads of places to eat

Also even though i didn;t goto the talks, I thought having it in a cinema was much nicer, the talks sounded echoey in lfacc

overall i would say, you shouldn't limit the guests, both places are amazing and great events. its good to have big stars at both like elijah *clears throat* *hint hint hint hint hint hint hint*

yes mk is far for some people and London is far for others, but both are far for me. My freind Jay gave us a lift to Mk for C4, but I was unable to attend London because she was not prepared to drive to London (I would not either if I could drive) which ment that on the train I would not have got there early enough to see who I wanted, and the trains are so expensive and I am a student. This basicly means that untill I am able to drive (Jay says she would atempt it if she had a driver next to her) or I win the lottery or somthing, and can aford to stay over, and get taxis and stuff, I cant go to London. So PLEASE stop saying that all the "big names" should be kept for London where possable. Plus SM are not going to change things so get over it, and change the record.

N

Silent Bob, surely the idea of the event is to make it as enjoyable and well organised as possible, not to cater for your own travel arrangements. I find your reply rather selfish. I was just trying to make a practical point that the LFACC because of all the reasons I have outlined earlier in the thread is at a venue that can cater better for certain guests. I thoroughly support the Showmasters events wherever they are and will try and get to as many as possible. Showmasters have already said that the LFACC will be a different kind of event to Collectormania, so they have already changed things.

N

Silent Bob, surely the idea of the event is to make it as enjoyable and well organised as possible, not to cater for your own travel arrangements. I find your reply rather selfish. I was just trying to make a practical point that the LFACC because of all the reasons I have outlined earlier in the thread is at a venue that can cater better for certain guests. I thoroughly support the Showmasters events wherever they are and will try and get to as many as possible. Showmasters have already said that the LFACC will be a different kind of event to Collectormania, so they have already changed things.

GoldenGreen,

I did not put that in my post out of selfishness, I was making a point, moving all "big name Guests" to London, is unfair on people who cant make it, as it would be unfair to move them all to Mk. Im not the one being selfish, you are, and I am getting rather anoyed that I cant go and read a topic on here anymore without your selfish comments about moving them to London. Im not saying you cant have your own opinion, and express it, (in an ideal world your idea is a good one, but does not work for everyone as I have said) Im just saying I think everyone knows your opinion now, and you dont need to keep repeating it when anyone has a difering opinion to you.

And anyway, if it was to "cater for my travel arangements" I would rather it was at the NEC as I have said before, but unlike you, I listen to other peoples veiws, and know that moving it is pure selfishness, that is why I dont think the events should change at all, and that is all Im saying.

Anyway as SM have said a number of times, they are not going to change a thing like that, and they are not changing venues so us debating it is pointless.

I would also like to say for the record, I have nothing elce to say on thet matter, that is my unselfish opinion, and I am not changing it or going to say it again.

I dont think anything should change.

sorry to all those who had to read this, I am a nice person :angel:

Naomi

x

Having experienced LFACC and C4, it has convinced me that the MK Centre is just not big enough to have the quality of guests that Showmasters are now able to attract.

I would be in favour in the future of having the major names only at the LFACC where there is a contained venue, loads of space, and no Saturday shoppers and gawpers.

The LFACC had a much better vibe (didn't think I would be saying that ), everyone there was there because they were real fans of these events and this with the better organisation helped it to be a really big success.

There is still a place for the MK centre, but for it to work it should revert back to the level of guests at earlier Collectormanias, or to keep in the area and still have big guests move to the NEC.

Hey guys

I have to admit im a bit annoyed at your comments what do you expect after all it is a shopping centre but it is THE only shopping centre i can think of with A) the space that is Middleton Hall :P The actual idea C) It opens up the whole idea of Science Fiction and Comics to people who may well "Gawp" but there is proberly a large amount of people who start to wonder round the Collectormaina event and then get into a series or comic.

The LFACC is also good but that is in a venue that you pay to get into, its a venue where the PUBLIC may not want to pay to get into and if thecentre:MK offers this experience to the public as well as offering the chance just to see the guy in a film may it continue.

Sorry but thats my two cents

Matt.S

Silent Bob (silent? Me?) Posted on Mar 18 2004, 03:51 PM

N

GoldenGreen,

I did not put that in my post out of selfishness, I was making a point, moving all "big name Guests" to London, is unfair on people who cant make it, as it would be unfair to move them all to Mk. Im not the one being selfish, you are, and I am getting rather anoyed that I cant go and read a topic on here anymore without your selfish comments about moving them to London. Im not saying you cant have your own opinion, and express it, (in an ideal world your idea is a good one, but does not work for everyone as I have said) Im just saying I think everyone knows your opinion now, and you dont need to keep repeating it when anyone has a difering opinion to you.

And anyway, if it was to "cater for my travel arangements" I would rather it was at the NEC as I have said before, but unlike you, I listen to other peoples veiws, and know that moving it is pure selfishness, that is why I dont think the events should change at all, and that is all Im saying.

Anyway as SM have said a number of times, they are not going to change a thing like that, and they are not changing venues so us debating it is pointless.

I would also like to say for the record, I have nothing elce to say on thet matter, that is my unselfish opinion, and I am not changing it or going to say it again.

I dont think anything should change.

sorry to all those who had to read this, I am a nice person 

Naomi

Silent Bob, a forum is for us to debate our issues and everyones view is equally valid. The reason I kept stating my thoughts was because some of my points had not been interpreted how I had originally meant them. I am not being selfish in that I have changed my view following listening to the points raised by other forum members and was actually responding to another forum member as to how MK could organise better for the bigger guests when you replied to me. I want the Showmasters events to be available to the biggest audience, but I also want them to be enjoyable and fun for those that attend. If I mis read your post then I apologise and perhaps like in many issues of life we will have to agree to disagree on some of the points. So no hard feelings on my part. GG.