RIP Gary Speed

Starbug

I agree, he seemed happy, not a care in the world, sorta thing. But it must have been a mask for whatever was going on; especially for him to do such a thing as hang himself. I liked him, will miss him. My thoughts go to all who knew him. RIP Gary.

Thoughts and prayers are with his family. Having lost a friend to suicide and having spent a couple of years at that point myself dealing with depression I know its gonna be absoutely awful for them and he really mustve been in a dark, dark place.

Not sure if this is true or not (sure we will find out) but I heard through the grapevine that The Sun had a big story on him ready to come out with soon, apparently about him being homosexual.

I can't imagine him being, with a long marriage and two kids, but finding out about a big paper running a massive story of any sort would be just horrendous.

I really hope it isnt true, would be the final straw for awful tabloids trading in life-wrecking non-news.

There is no point in speculating about stories on the grapevine. Gary Speed was a consumate professional and his death is a shock. Until the Police have established what has happened, then I think any rumours should be ignored. I know it is natural to listen to rumours in circumstances like this, but sometimes you just have to say "enough is enough".

If Speedo had demons that lead to his death, then I hope he is at peace now.

I hope his family and friends find the support they need.

It is also nice to see genuine affection for him rather than "by the numbers" good wishes.

Rest In Peace Gary...a footballing legend.

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard a few rumours going around, one was that his wife has been having an affair for 15 years and none of Gary's kids are his and the other is that he was secretly gay and was only married so that no one would find out. don't the media have great imagination to rip someone's private life apart to sell papers :D

I don't care why he died, i just find it sad that he thought that was his only way out, it's such a shame

I've heard a few rumours going around, one was that his wife has been having an affair for 15 years and none of Gary's kids are his and the other is that he was secretly gay and was only married so that no one would find out. don't the media have great imagination to rip someone's private life apart to sell papers :thumbup:

I don't care why he died, i just find it sad that he thought that was his only way out, it's such a shame

When someone has nothing to hide, then it makes them a target for someone who may not like them. There had been no hint of a story coming out about Speedo, but come his passing the bogus rumour mill started.

People need to leave the guy to rest in peace and his family/friends to mourn. I find it troubling that the social networks have been abuzz with "rumours". Sad. Very Sad that some people in this world get off on making stuff up about someone's private life after they have died in order to get a story out of it. People may attack the press for printing these stories - it is the business they are in - but what about the people that approach the papers with these stories? Sick. Very sick.

Rest In Peace Speedo.

I've heard a few rumours going around, <snip>

And whilst it may not have been your intention, why give them further currency by repeating them?

don't the media have great imagination to rip someone's private life apart to sell papers :thumbup:

And as yet there is absolutely no proof that any papers were involved with this (much as I might like there to be) - it's merely the theorising of somewhat insensitive conspiracy theorists on the internet and people who repeat those ideas and rumours. Let's be fair, it's likely more people will have read those rumours in your post than in any tabloid paper - because as far as I'm aware, no tabloid paper has publicly repeated them, whereas you have. Like I say, probably not your intention, but...

Edited by TommyT

When someone has nothing to hide, then it makes them a target for someone who may not like them. There had been no hint of a story coming out about Speedo, but come his passing the bogus rumour mill started.

People need to leave the guy to rest in peace and his family/friends to mourn. I find it troubling that the social networks have been abuzz with "rumours". Sad. Very Sad that some people in this world get off on making stuff up about someone's private life after they have died in order to get a story out of it. People may attack the press for printing these stories - it is the business they are in - but what about the people that approach the papers with these stories? Sick. Very sick.

Rest In Peace Speedo.

Very true, anyone with the slightest story on someone will sometimes turn to the papers just to make money. It's worse when it's lies because it can ruin someones life. It's why I don't bother reading newspapers much anymore, I see odd bits on the news or hear things from people I know but that's it really.

I've heard a few rumours going around, <snip>

And whilst it may not have been your intention, why give them further currency by repeating them?

don't the media have great imagination to rip someone's private life apart to sell papers :D

And as yet there is absolutely no proof that any papers were involved with this (much as I might like there to be) - it's merely the theorising of somewhat insensitive conspiracy theorists on the internet and people who repeat those ideas and rumours. Let's be fair, it's likely more people will have read those rumours in your post than in any tabloid paper - because as far as I'm aware, no tabloid paper has publicly repeated them, whereas you have. Like I say, probably not your intention, but...

I didn't say it had been in the papers, I said that it is what I had heard. I then said "don't the media have great imagination to rip someone's private life apart to sell papers", I didn't say Gary Speed's private life, I meant it in general.

I didn't say it had been in the papers, I said that it is what I had heard. I then said "don't the media have great imagination to rip someone's private life apart to sell papers", I didn't say Gary Speed's private life, I meant it in general.

They were consecutive sentences in the same paragraph, which rather makes an implicit link between them. But I'm happy to accept that you meant none.

They were consecutive sentences in the same paragraph, which rather makes an implicit link between them. But I'm happy to accept that you meant none.

Fair enough, i'm not a nasty person and don't mean anyone any harm, I'm just useless with grammer I guess :D

Edited by Suzyweasley