Karen Gillan as a guest?

Does anybody think it's a possibility of getting Karen Gillan along for a day or two?

She's doing the London convention this month, she's a local girl and she's currently in Doctor Who so I think she'd be a massive draw and drive tickets through the roof.

What say you Showmasters?

Why does Scotland not deserve a big event for two days? A couple of big names could come up for a day or two. Don't get me wrong I do love what Showmasters do for the Glasgow Collectormania, but there are so many people who don't know about it due to lack of advertising and big names.

I'm still very much looking forward to meeting some new people, and of course, showing off more of Night is Day, but would be brilliant if we had more big names ala Karen Gillan, Amy Acker, Zachery Levi etc.

• Moderators

We have this discussion a LOT on here, so there's really no point in turning this into the same old debate.

Personally I'd be HUGELY surprised to see Karen Gillan or anyone of her stature as a guest at Glasgow right now. The event isn't big enough, and the old 'well if you get big guests, you'll get more people!' thing is just too simple an outlook on an event.

Sorry but I don't really see much point in giving anyone false hope. Will Glasgow grow to a point where you do get those guests? Who knows. But I'd be absolutely shocked if you got Karen right now.

Stuart, a wee question. I met Karen last year in glasgow for a signing at Hamleys, that was limited to 300 people. She was lovely and took time with everyone, posing for pics and personalising autographs. I've pretty much assumed that this will be nothing like LFCC. My question is this however - oviously for this Hamleys signing, it was arranged by the BBC, and all autographs were free, do you think there is ever any possibility of SM working in conjunction with the BBC or anything like that with regards to promotion and signings?

Obviously the event in San Diego has loads of guests the like we'll never see here, promoting their stuff, and Matt/Karen/Moffat etc are going this year I believe? Would this kind of thing ever be likely for a future SM show?

I remember when Simon Pegg and Nick Frost came, I think it was promotional and the autographs were free and limited I believe, would be good to see more of that, especially if it were to help with getting a guest like Karen to Glasgow if it was for promotional purposes

Edited by JacknDaniel

• Showmasters Admin

It's not out of the question and I'm sure SM would be open to such things. It's a lovely thought that someone else pays for some big names to come to SM events and so they are free to the public.

On the one hand it sounds great, and you get some great names like at SDCC for free, but on the other hand you have the limited time or volumn factor.

The issue I see is that at SM events our attendees have become accustomed to the fact that if you get there at 8am and stay all day you're 99.9% likely to get everyone you want. We rarely have to turn people away.

I went to SDCC last year and for instance the whole main Supernatural cast were there. Great. But they only signed for ONE hour, and therefore for only 200 people. That was 200 people out of 100,000 attendees THAT day. That's only one in 500 people being seen. You can spend over 3 hours waiting in a queue to get in and get NOTHING!

The same thing happened with the Chuck cast and the Fringe cast.

Can you imagine the complaints we'd get on here if people travelled and paid money for hotel, wait in a queue for 3 hours for us to only let one in 500 get an autograph?

It would be like us only letting 40 (even if we go with the 300 of this BBC Glasgow event) people have Karen's autograph this Saturday. Can you imagine the outrage if we did that?

So that's the issue with limited number promotional signings. The names look great but A LOT of people waste a lot of time and money and get nothing.

Interesting, thanks for that. I actually always wondered how the big show in America worked. Thought it seemed a bit too good to be true to have a bunch of the Expendables, majors from almost every big TV show, and tons of voice actors at the show. It did seem to me that signing wasn't the priority of it.

Would be interesting if this was ever done again though for an SM show. Perhaps something like if they managed to get Matt Smith for a promotional signing, limited it to 400 tickets or so, and sold autograph vouchers online beforehand or something, limited to one per person. Then either don't advertise him with the rest of the guests(because no one else would be able to get his autograph) or advertise him as a special guest only doing a talk or something.

I'm sure this has all been thought about anyway, but just speaking my mind!

If I'm free for 5 minutes at the show, ask me and I'll tell you the "interesting" ways they have of sorting out who gets the autographs.

I'm interested to know now, but no doubt whenever I see you you will be rushed off your feet sorting stuff out so I won't actually get chance to find out...

That's a shame that it wouldn't work out - it's just a thought :)

I remember being at a Buffy/Angel convention, years ago in Glasgow Central train station's hotel - it was amazing. Sadly the first and last time I met Andy Hallet, lovely guy.

I was also gutted that Amy Acker pulled out - I had such a crush on her haha.

Still, very much looking forward to this year's convention at Braehead and meeting new people!

That's a shame that it wouldn't work out - it's just a thought :)

I remember being at a Buffy/Angel convention, years ago in Glasgow Central train station's hotel - it was amazing. Sadly the first and last time I met Andy Hallet, lovely guy.

I was also gutted that Amy Acker pulled out - I had such a crush on her haha.

Still, very much looking forward to this year's convention at Braehead and meeting new people!

I remember meeting Hallett & (I think) George Herzberg at the event the SECC used to hold years ago.

He was a really cool guy, such a loss.

That was possibly the same event where I bottled out of meeting the awesome Nicola Bryant.

:D