card payments enquiry

shopegg

Maestro is Mastercard isn't it? If so I think it should be fine as I always use Mastercard. There is one card type that won't work but I can't recall what...anyone?

Edit: Just remembered - American Express won't work

Edited by 1of2

oh, Germany, yeah... then Maestro and MAstercard are something different... our Maestro cards are our general bank account card where we can get money from the bank with, get accout infos with and can pay at the stores... but they're immediately charged to your account...

while my mastercard is the typical credit card that collects everything I pay with it within a months and then takes it off my account once a month...

let Yvie give it a try but it might nwo work... especially since she said it has to have 16 digits on the front and maestro cards have varying amounts of digits on the front, depending on bank, age of account and a lot of other stuff...

German Maestro cards kind of work like UK debit cards. Not exactly the same, but that's the closest thing you'll find in the UK), and I *think* people have ordered with debit cards before. That's actually why I hadn't said anything. :lol:
Yep, I have ordered with debit cards before (sometimes my own :D ). I mistakenly thought that Maestro was a credit card.

I have no idea what the American Express is or why it won't work though.

• Showmasters Admin
German Maestro cards kind of work like UK debit cards. Not exactly the same, but that's the closest thing you'll find in the UK), and I *think* people have ordered with debit cards before. That's actually why I hadn't said anything. :lol:
Yep, I have ordered with debit cards before (sometimes my own :D ). I mistakenly thought that Maestro was a credit card.

I have no idea what the American Express is or why it won't work though.

Back in the day of Switch, my bank card said Maestro on the back as I could then use it in Europe as well as the UK. Now it's a Visa Debit which is good because it works fine in the USA, where as they didn't understand what Switch was.

AMEX is an odd one. It's not Visa or Mastercard which most major credit cards are. It's a systems all of it's own and it's always charged the seller a higher % rate for using is than the Visa and Mastercard systems do, so most companies just don't take them. I used to have a company AMEX card to pay expences with, but soooo many times I'd end up paying with my own Visa because the restaraut or petrol station didn't take AMEX.

Trusting wikipedia's entries for Maestro, Solo and Visa Electron, the big picture would seem to be

Maestro is a multi-national debit card service owned by MasterCard. Within the EU and certain other countries, Maestro is MasterCard's main debit brand and is the equivalent of signature debit card which does not require electronic authorisation, similar to the Visa Debit card. In most other countries, Maestro is equivalent to a Visa Electron and is MasterCard's tertiary card. In the United Kingdom, the former Switch debit card system has been re-branded as Maestro.

Visa Electron is a debit or credit card available across most of the world, with the exception of Canada, Australia, Ireland and the United States. The card was introduced by VISA in the 1980s and is a sister card to the Visa Debit card. The difference between Visa Electron and Visa Debit is that payments with Visa Electron require that all the funds be available at the time of transfer, i.e., Visa Electron card accounts may not be overdrawn. Visa Debit cards, on the other hand, allow transfers exceeding available funds up to a certain limit. Some online stores and all offline terminals (like on trains and aircraft) do not support Visa Electron because their systems cannot check for the availability of funds. The UK Maestro equivalent of a Visa Electron is a Solo card.

In other words, within the UK, Maestro and Visa Debit cards do not require electronic authorisation, and can allow a degree of overdraft. Visa Electron and Solo cards do require the account to have the available funds, and for the bank to electronically confirm that the transaction can proceed.

Trusting wikipedia's entries for Maestro, Solo and Visa Electron, the big picture would seem to be

Maestro is a multi-national debit card service owned by MasterCard. Within the EU and certain other countries, Maestro is MasterCard's main debit brand and is the equivalent of signature debit card which does not require electronic authorisation, similar to the Visa Debit card. In most other countries, Maestro is equivalent to a Visa Electron and is MasterCard's tertiary card. In the United Kingdom, the former Switch debit card system has been re-branded as Maestro.

Visa Electron is a debit or credit card available across most of the world, with the exception of Canada, Australia, Ireland and the United States. The card was introduced by VISA in the 1980s and is a sister card to the Visa Debit card. The difference between Visa Electron and Visa Debit is that payments with Visa Electron require that all the funds be available at the time of transfer, i.e., Visa Electron card accounts may not be overdrawn. Visa Debit cards, on the other hand, allow transfers exceeding available funds up to a certain limit. Some online stores and all offline terminals (like on trains and aircraft) do not support Visa Electron because their systems cannot check for the availability of funds. The UK Maestro equivalent of a Visa Electron is a Solo card.

In other words, within the UK, Maestro and Visa Debit cards do not require electronic authorisation, and can allow a degree of overdraft. Visa Electron and Solo cards do require the account to have the available funds, and for the bank to electronically confirm that the transaction can proceed.

oh thank u :chair: