Was GCM a sucess in August 2010?

Goodie586

Hi there.

Not long back from London with my autographs from Micheal Biehn and the rest....great weekend.

I was just wondering cause i am a Glasgow boy how successful for Showmasters the last Glasgow event was.

It seemed to me to be a sucess but normally showmaster have a wee post saying it was and i didnt see that this time ( i may be wrong, i am often am)

Hoping the event can grow and i am spreading the word like the rest of you.......

What i would like to say is 80s movie guests who are just as important if not more than Star Wars, Lord of the rings, Star Trek Buffy etc....

Down in London i was speaking to a fellow Geek and we were talking about how we loved things associated with 80s movies./...Gremlins, Gonnies, Lost Boys, Predator etc.......

I think it was obvious from the queues with Michael Biehn, Carl Weathers and Cary Elwes that we are not alone....

I hope for selfish reasons that things can focus on this important time in movies for me and all the other guys with disposable income just waiting to spend it on 80s stuff.......come on ....Monster Squad reuion at Glasgow please....and Corey Fledman.......damn i am ranting now....and i know there is a guest who we would like to see post but really, i think there is a much bigger marktet here and i think London showed that!

No matter what i love what you guys are doing .........love ya

Edited by Goodie586

I thought it was a great success. It's obviously smaller than the London Shows but there was a good range of guests, it seemed quite busy and I had a great time :)

Yes i agree...it is smaller...i was worried though that it was perhaps less of a success than the last one...its hard to tell....i love how Glasgow is more intimate thou...just wish the guests had bigger queues...

I cant complain thoug....each year there has been at least one great guest and numerous interesting ones....

This is not a post about guests....i have never been let down....

Just want the best for the Event.....and all my peer group love 80s stuff....even my wife who hates Geek things said she would go just to meet someone from the Goonies or Lost boys etc....80s is the untaped market...Dr Who, Star Wars, Buffy are being saturated and habitual attenders have met them all...time for some new blood and out looks to bring the masses

I repeat i am not moaning about guests.....loved John Rhys Davis, Ernie Hudson, Dirk Bendict, Warick Davis etc ....anyone of them brought me to a show....

Love ya

Glasgow this year was a great success, all dealers seemed to do well and the Saturday especially was really packed in the arena at one stage. You must keep in mind this year is was not even on the bank holiday, which next year will be so will be so hopefully even busier.

As for the guests we always have a good mix of guests at Glasgow, inc 80's. I would see this being the same this year! Glasgow is still growing and its growing in the right direction, the fan base in Scotland is huge and I know so many dedicated fans that travel to other show like yourself with London, so if we all work together get the word out to as many people as we can, we will have a really good show on our hand next year

Many Thanks

Andrew Murray

Edited by mojoe

Glasgow this year was a great success, all dealers seemed to do well and the Saturday especially was really packed in the arena at one stage. You must keep in mind this year is was not even on the bank holiday, which next year will be so will be so hopefully even busier.

As for the guests we always have a good mix of guests at Glasgow, inc 80's. I would see this being the same this year! Glasgow is still growing and its growing in the right direction, the fan base in Scotland is huge and I know so many dedicated fans that travel to other show like yourself with London, so if we all work together get the word out to as many people as we can, we will have a really good show on our hand next year

Many Thanks

Andrew Murray

Thanks for the positive reply...as i say....i am not the least bit negative...my family laugh at how important these Cons are to me.....many thanks Andrew.

Love ya

If anyone can understand the importance of cons its me, Glasgow 1 back in 2008 (was is?) was my first EVER con. now i cant even count how many I have done but Glasgow will always be special for me, plus it mean i dont have to drive 600 miles (round trip) to an event

Andrew

If anyone can understand the importance of cons its me, Glasgow 1 back in 2008 (was is?) was my first EVER con. now i cant even count how many I have done but Glasgow will always be special for me, plus it mean i dont have to drive 600 miles (round trip) to an event

Andrew

Yes i know what you mean.....its a privledge to have one....guys in Ireland and Wales ould give their right arm for what we have,,,,,, although i kinda like going to London....its an expensive wee adventure..

Glasgow rocks thou

It was my first time crewing and from the pov it looked bussy.

The autograph line for Danny John Jules and Dominic Keating got really bussy I thought. We had to keep trying to keep them seperate lol

I do think if Joe Flannigan had made it, it would have been a lot more bussier.

For me I admit the first Glasgow con has always been my favourite:) Tony Head and Gareth David Lloyd just made my week end.

Andrew

Musta been 2007 cuz we made the one in 2008 (that was the year there were 2 wasn't it?) and it wasn't the first.

It was my first time crewing and from the pov it looked bussy.

The autograph line for Danny John Jules and Dominic Keating got really bussy I thought. We had to keep trying to keep them seperate lol

I do think if Joe Flannigan had made it, it would have been a lot more bussier.

For me I admit the first Glasgow con has always been my favourite:) Tony Head and Gareth David Lloyd just made my week end.

It was busy. I was guest assistant to Chris Barrie and it was pretty much non-stop for him all-day Saturday.

And you didn't come and say hi to me again LOL!

Haha indeed!

I found myself mute with Carl Weathers, Carey Elwes and Michael Biehn aswell!

I have no idea why i have the inability to engage guests in coversation.....i always get nervous and just whisper "pleasere to meet you" .....my social retardation knows no bounds!!!!

:D

Haha indeed!

I have no idea why i have the inability to engage guests in coversation.....i always get nervous and just whisper "pleasere to meet you" .....my social retardation knows no bounds!!!!

:lol:

And I'm not even a guest ;)

Although one kid at CM Glasgow this year did ask me when I was in Doctor Who. When I said I wasn't, he then said "Oh, I wondered what monster you were"

Edited by Purple_Vamp

Haha indeed!

:WINCE:

And I'm not even a guest :lol:

Although one kid at CM Glasgow this year did ask me when I was in Doctor Who. When I said I wasn't, he then said "Oh, I wondered what monster you were"

lol Angie! you could pass off for an angel ;)

• 3 weeks later...

From a personal view I thought it was busy, but I did not spend as much as I thought I would. The absence of some of the Dealers from England (not mentioning any names), helped me not spend as much. LOL!

I did buy quite a few graded items and for once, was spoiled for choice, which on balance was a great thing!

The presence of the Red Dwarf Guests made up for the absence of certain Dealers and hope that they will return to Glasgow this year.

I loved meeting Danny John Jules and hope that he returns again this year! :D

• 4 months later...

I'm one of the autograph dealers who's been supporting all the Glasgow events apart from the first one.

It is obviously smaller than the more well-established shows but it's the one we always look forward to attending most of all. It has a really great atmosphere and without exception, the people are so friendly. We always seem to do well, as do the other dealers I've spoken to.

We'll certainly be back in August and look forward to seeing old friends again and hopefully meeting some new ones.