Glasgow 2011... What do YOU want?

What about advertising further afield that Glasgow. Inverness has its own comic event and there would be people who would travel down to another event if they knew about it, it is possible to to Glasgow and back in a day.

You're talking 3 1/2 hour to 4 hour drive each way so it is doable, but most people would probably want to travel one day (maybe even Friday night) and travel back the next - especially if they plan on being there all day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's wrong is it cost 10 times what we get charged at the Braehead , the SECC had the chance when we first started up the show but they were just to expencive .

and thats why other events were closed down in the end , we have a grate venue with free parking and plenty of space and the food prices are good too so the Braehead is our home ;)

jason :(

i have to agree here

Cost of parking in the SECC is expencive

getting there without a car is Vetran on high mile club lvl Difficulty (IE DIFFICULT but possible) especially if you live outside of glasgow

Cost of Drinks/Snacks = Expencive

As jason said it would cost a bomb to set up there.. which would mean our tickets = expencive

and expencive tickets = less customers

less customers= less monehz

less monehz =less venus

less venues = upset patrons

upset patrons lead to anger, anger leads to hate, ha........you get the idea

so basically Unless SECC drop there costs a bit (which they wont do) then yeah SECC is a useless venue spot

Braehead on the otherhand....... as jason said free parking cheap food, + its easier to get to and that my friends is GOOD TIMES :P

I like Brehead and don't think it's really that hard to get to even from the city. It's also cheaper for food/snacks and I know that there quite a few people at last Glasgow event that hadn't come to Brehead for the event but when they saw it went in. Can't see that happening at SECC.

I can't think of any where up town to have a event like this :headscratch:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Will hopefully be attending again this year. The cosplayers did seem to congregate in the one area so as was said a sign and even the cosplay sign up desk in a dedicated area would be good.

I am a big stargate fan and saw a few stargate cosplayers about - I wore a season one Atlantis security uniform for bit. After going to Chevron 7.5 am keen to do it again - are there many Gaters attending next year?

• 3 months later...

Hi

Not sure if this would go down too well or not, but I'd like to see the removal of the early bird tickets for Glasgow. I know it's necessary and helpful for other events like MK or LFCC where there are massive queues for certain guests, but in Glasgow I don't think a lot of people go for these tickets. I only think I've seen VT's in Glasgow once and without them we were still able to see who we wanted.

We bought early bird tickets a few years back for CM Glasgow - not too ensure we could see the guests we wanted but because we had to be somewhere else for midday. From what I remember, there were very few attendees in during the early bird times and some of the guests we wanted hadn't turned up either until 11.

There's always a huge queue at CM Glasgow at 11, which shows how popular it is, but I can't help thinking that allowing normal entry from an earlier time would encourage more people to come along earlier and part with their cash. It would give the dealers another two hour of business and stop the bottle neck at 11 o'clock. What then often happens is most the guests go for lunch at about 12:30, so for many of the fans we queue to get in, then hit a bottleneck and then everyone disappears at pretty much the same time not long thereafter (I can prove this with a photo I took last year). I think it's a wasted opportunity for all, but I don't run the events.

On the whole, it's looking good and it's great to see 4 guests already and great guests at that as well.

Can't wait to attend later this year and see who the other guests are going to be.

Steve

Edited by steevofromglasgow

Hi Steve,

I have to state this first so that everything else that follows, hopefully you will understand is that it's based purely from a selfish point of view.

I would loathe to see the early bird charge go and have it as standard entry from 9 am purely because of the competition that would occur for me personally when I am trying to locate find and complete a deal on any figures or merchandise that is maybe or arguably rarer ( or at least something I need/ want). The competition is fierce enough LOL! :D

Don't get me wrong I see the logic in your approach but it is hard enough competing with all the other Collectors as it is and to then increase the number would drastically make it more difficult than it already is.

Personally my opinion is that to be first in and to get to the Dealer tables as one of the first from 9 am is worth the premium. I did notice from the last event that there was at least 200 people waiting to get in from 9 am.

When I first arrive at Glasgow, it's not for the Guests but to get entry to the merchandise and all the availability of it. I don't know if I am making mellef clear, but hopefully you will get the gist of my point.

Ann

xx

Hi Ann and Steve,

I'd also like to add in on Ann's wanting to the early bird ticket to stay, but for an entirely different reason. I usually go to the convention with my Dad and my brother, and we always get the early bird ticket. This is mostly because my brother is... well, I'll simply use the phrase 'has special needs' and leave it there. Needless to say, queuing can be a bit of a difficulty, and the early bird often lets us get in without too much hassle.

Having said that, I would agree with Steve that unless you have your reasons for wanting the ticket, it can seem a bit pointless.

Either way, looking forward to the convention this year (the femme!ten suit shall be brought out of retirement!) Have - I think - managed to convince two of my friends from Ireland to come over, and we're looking at getting another friend from London up for the weekend just for the event. How's that for further afield advertising :lol:

Zara

• 3 weeks later...

I think we're about past the point before which I promised not to hassle Jason about letting us have a Showmasters-sanctioned Saturday night party, so...

JASON!

CAN WE HAVE A PARTY, PLEASE?!

I shall provide my DJing services, as well as a full PS3 Rock Band setup that we can mix to along with normal tunes!

*Looks to rest of ya*

SO SAY WE ALL?

• Showmasters Admin

But the same issues are still there from last year.

As far as I'm aware SM do not wish to spend the time or the money organising a party that has been proven not to work. When tried before they have not even covered the costs of the venue hire, let alone the time of those organising it. It's a shame they didn't work and I'm sure different people have different views on why they didn't work, but at the end of the day they didn't work for SM.

You may say but I'll organise it, and that's fine. Jason has previously said he's happy for someone else to organise it, but SM will NOT officially endorse it. Because if they do and something goes wrong people will hold SM liable for it. Or if it goes badly SM are going to get the flack because their name is on the flyer. You'd be asking them to endorse a product that they are not organising.

I honestly don't think making random posts of the forum is likely to get you what you want. If you really want this to happen and honestly think it can, then I suggest you ring Jason in the office and discuss it with him.

• Showmasters Admin

I think we're about past the point before which I promised not to hassle Jason about letting us have a Showmasters-sanctioned Saturday night party, so...

JASON!

CAN WE HAVE A PARTY, PLEASE?!

I shall provide my DJing services, as well as a full PS3 Rock Band setup that we can mix to along with normal tunes!

*Looks to rest of ya*

SO SAY WE ALL?

no thank you we run events not parties and we would not want anyone else running a party under our name just in case it went wrong in some way , we are going to stick to just running the show

thanks for the offer

jason :lol:

I was thinking maybe introduce a small comic creation/ artist alley to Glasgow on a smaller scale than the London one? :thumbup:

Pay a homeage to 20+ years ago and George's Square (those old enough will remember) :D:D:D:D

Good idea Ann. Unfortunately I don't think its doable as those writers and artists are far too big now. Remember they were just starting out in the comic industry and as such were looking for maximum exposure. Since they have a considerable presence and contribution across the pond, there's no way they will come here. If anything they are more suited to LFCC and would expect such big names to attend there first if anything.

Memorable times, I regret cannot possibly be recreated again unless we can maybe invite or introduce more creators and artists trying to break into the medium, but I suspect it will be harder than all those years ago with so much competition. Possible but incredibly difficult to get such exposure like in the past.

• 1 month later...

Would David Tennant, Matt Smith or Karen Gillan or all three at the same convention be easy to get? :D

Other than that i'm happy :(

Edited by Cylux

I was thinking....I know been doing a lot of that lately but....Maybe an option or opportunity for a professional picture with some of the troops that attend. :(

what I mean is a professional photo with Darth Vader flanked by two of his stormtroopers in a dramatic pose with a nice background? Or with Scapey and his marines with a suitable backdrop in a good action shot? :D

Obviously a suitable donation to charity or something to compensate their time maybe appropriate or something..... :D

Dunno just thinking aloud and trying to utilise what we already have so cost wise may not be a problem...dunno...LOL :D

I just think it would be cool to have a really good professional photo with the guys dressed up in a controlled way so the background doesnt interfere with the phot and kind of makes it more cool....dunno...LMAO maybe a non starter.... :D:D

The Garrison do that at other shows, but I dunno if the backdrop belongs to the English guys or what...

I now have two big UKCM banners, and I still have the large biohazard flag from "Doomsday" that I'll try to hang up behind the prop collection if Jason gives me the same spot I've had the last few years... Those make for a good backdrop :)

Sounds interesting. I wouldn't mind getting a photo with some of the guys with a good background to be honest! What is this 'doomsday' thing you speak of? I aint got a scooby but sounds good!

Excellent! :smile: Looking forward to your collection. I remember chatting to 'big Stew' when he was 'guarding' your collection. Such a nice guy and very accomodating. He even let me hold his gun, if I remember correctly it was called 'Eoryn' or something similar? Maybe Arwyn??LOL ;)

Good times and hope he is back this year! A very nice guy and kindly allowed me to have some photos with him!

:D

LOL! I sooooo need to look for the photo now.......! :smile:

Be right back when I find one .....LMAO!!

Such FUN TIMES!!! A very nice guy! ;)

EDIT

Ok not a great photo but yes! thats the name! lol it can clearly be seen .... :D

Edited by anniekins