what Horror flicks have you seen recently?

thedude57

I saw the Universal double bill of Dracula and The Mummy on Tuesday of this week at the British Film Institute as part of their Gothic season, very enjoyable and the first time I've seen them up on the big screen.

I'm also off tomorrow back to the BFI to see a Q&A with Roger Corman and a screening of The Pit and the Pendulum and over the coming weeks will be seeing their screening of Hammer's 1958 Dracula and the Q&A with Dario Argento and screening of Suspiria.

Wow Golden Green that sounds freaking awesome. Pit and the Pendulum is such an underrated film in my opinion. Have you seen the Documentary, Corman's World, such a great feel good documentary and I am not ashamed to admit I even had a few happy tears watching it. Where to is the Suspiria screening?

I watched The Cabin in the Woods last night for the first time.

Perhaps I was expecting too much from all the chatter at the time, but I don't think it will be going to the top of my favourites list.

I'd probably give it 6/7 out of 10. It was an entertaining hour and a half and I liked what they had tried to do in terms of trying to inject some originality into a familiar story or perhaps that should be stories as lots of references in there to many Horror franchises and it is quite a funny movie in parts as well. Overall, good, but not great.

Yesterdays viewing.

Lust for a Vampire. Very mixed views on this but I actually get to like it more each time I watch it.

The Pit and the Pendulum. What an evening , got to see one of my favourite gothic horrors on the big screen, met Roger Corman and got picture with him and he signed my Pit and the Pendulum DVD. It doesn't get much better than that !

Yesterdays viewing.

Lust for a Vampire. Very mixed views on this but I actually get to like it more each time I watch it.

The Pit and the Pendulum. What an evening , got to see one of my favourite gothic horrors on the big screen, met Roger Corman and got picture with him and he signed my Pit and the Pendulum DVD. It doesn't get much better than that !

I am so jealous of you right now

Just watched a horror from the early 90s (I think) produced by Dario Argento called The Church. Like a lot of Italian Horrors the plot was a bit all over the shop but had some brilliant imagery and invention and was pretty creepy when it needed to be. Plus it had a soundtrack by Emerson and Goblina which is always a bonus

Last nights Horror viewing was The Traveler with Val Kilmer. I actually quite liked the premise but whilst it started o.k. it then went down hill. Lots of footage was reused during the movie so must have had a tight budget. Some of the scenes were over done so became less shock, more schlock.

Remember when Billy in Scream is discussing the PG13 cut of The Exorcist, and describes all the good stuff being cut out? Well that's the tv version of Halloween II that I am watching right now. Literally every kill is trimmed so much that CBeebies could show it! Sure it has some additional scenes of dialogue, which are intriguing, but this version is a real mess.

Scenes from the theatrical cut are re-ordered, and shots cut out entirely, so that they no longer make sense, and as for the musical score, it's almost hilarious! Stings when Loomis and Deputy Hunt leave the Myers house that are unwarranted, the music stopping and starting abruptly for no reason.

It's fun to see what else was shot, but I'll stick with the theatrical cut thanks!

Ghost watch was just so ahead of its time. I watched it in August and there's still bits that creep me out, though that could be nostalgia from when I first watched it on its first broadcast and not getting a great nights sleep because of it.

• Like 2

The last two I watched were R.I.P.D I was so disappointed. I'm not a big fan of CGI in horror but if you're going to use it all the time then for god's sake make it look good. I felt so bad after watching it I watched Dead Heat from the late 80s instead to cheer me up. If you haven't heard of it it's an 80s action buddy cop come zombie movie. Yes it is as fun as it sounds and, unbelievably, the special effects were more convincing than RIPD. I think it may have been one of Vincent Price's last movies but could be mistaken.

Just returned from seeing John Carpenter's Halloween at the Prince Charles cinema in London. It's 35 years old this year, but only 32 years since I first saw it in 1981, and I'm still noticing things about it.

Also, Halloween II is on 5*+1 right now.

• Like 1

So do I. Trouble is, it was very last minute, announced about 2 months before it happened, so there was no chance to save to go out. Also JLC was signing for hours. The guy that got mine got there at 2pm, didn't see Jamie til 10pm, and he was number 7300. She signed more after this, and did photoshoots. It sounds a nightmare.

Unfortunately she told Sean Clark that it was a 'one and done' deal. No more cons for her, but we can hope.

Most of the other guests do the Pasadena con every 5 years.