Crumb of encouragement?

shearwater

With two months to go, we space 'buffs' are waiting with fingers crossed for some more Astronaut guests. I have a couple of dozen friends who have, like me, attended from the start: none of them have booked tickets / rooms yet in case no further space-related guests are announced. Any chance the orgs. could at least confirm that they are hoping for a few big names? :thumbup:

Edited by shearwater

I totally agree with the above posting. I can understand the psychology behind releasing 'big names' nearer the time of the event, not least that it keeps the punters visiting the sites. But the organisers should look at it from our point of view. One needs time to organise for big name - we have to trawl for photographs, have them printed, design montages, etc. This can't be done with only a few days notice as it can be quite time consuming.

Anyway, if you put off an announcement, it may be to your disadvantage. There are a lot of mail in signings occurring before Autographica - Collins, Buzz (again), Scott, Carpenter. Decisions will have to be taken about how we allocate our cash for autographs.

Edited by descartes

• Moderators

It's not necessarily holding back big names to be announced nearer the time. Big names take a lot more negotiating and work to get for these events, so they typically take longer to get on board. Obviously the sooner the better, both for the attendees AND the organisers, but it is very time consuming.

So I'm sure you'll get more concrete information when there is some. Sadly we've had hints of 'big names' in the past, only to result in disappointment when they haven't worked out. So it's not always a good idea to do that!

It's a tricky one. On the one hand as punters we're impatient for announcements so we can budget and organise our transport and hotels etc; on the other, the organisers are probably in a dillema with regards hearing back from people, getting firm commitments, contracts, schedules, fees etc etc, so do they announce someone in the meantime and possibly jump the gun? I agree it would be great to have some more info re astro's, but I'm biting the bullet and awaiting with quite some anticipation!

• Showmasters Admin

so do they announce someone in the meantime and possibly jump the gun?

In many cases this can cause....

A: The guest to be annoyed at being announced at an event they have not agreed to and refuse to come.

B: The guest takes matters legal as any company using their name to promote an event without their permission is doing so illiegally.

The organisers do NOT hold announcements back. It is completely counter productive to do so. They get the names announced as soon as they have confirmation that they can be announced. As DB has said, sometimes that takes time and the bigger the guest the more time it takes.

Also with big guests they are usually busy people and so it's hard to pin them down at all and some will not commit until closer to the show.

It always has been an issue with signing shows. Do you go for the big guests and "maybe" get one in 10. Yes it really can be that bad. The organisers can be working months on getting guests, for a large number of the deals to fall through before the guests are ever announced. For every guest announced for an event there will have been many many more that were worked on but you'll never hear about it, as they never got to the point of announcement.

It's the way it works but I know from the organisers point of view it can be very hard when they've been working really really hard for months on guests and then they fall through. To come on here to see "where are the guests?"! That's not a go at anyone, just a heads up that organising these events can be very hard work and sometimes the "more, more, more!" posts can get to them.

They know, trust me they know! They are working on them, but they can't announce them until they have them confirmed, that's just the way it is.

Edited by Too Tall

Thing is, think of all the 'scandals' we had in recent years that started with Jason making a post that said something like "Great guest incoming" or "We've got a amazing guest for LFACC guess who it is" or whatever, and then inevitably when that guest cancels the trolls arrive and the forum goes up in flames. I suspect all at SM towers have learnt from this experience.

Personally I think it's better we don't know *until* the ink is dry - even if that's the week before the event.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Showmasters Admin

With two months to go, we space 'buffs' are waiting with fingers crossed for some more Astronaut guests. I have a couple of dozen friends who have, like me, attended from the start: none of them have booked tickets / rooms yet in case no further space-related guests are announced. Any chance the orgs. could at least confirm that they are hoping for a few big names? :D

i think we pull a lot out the back near the event and guest know what they are dong around a month to two moths before an event so really the thing to do is come to the event anyway you know 99.99 % of the time we do pull it of , all you need to do is book the time off , tickets are avalable on the day and the guest we do get are amazing and in years to come when they are not with us anymore you you could not put a price on having met them, let along what the autos are worth then as well , you cannot buy memorys they are price less

i do think people do not understand that we run this event not for money "as there really is none after the event we just hope to brake even" but to meet the guests our selfs , some of them will never be back to an event in the UK again so we go out our way to get really cool guests every time for this show a real mix of history

well i hope you are happy and we will see you there

jason

With two months to go, we space 'buffs' are waiting with fingers crossed for some more Astronaut guests. I have a couple of dozen friends who have, like me, attended from the start: none of them have booked tickets / rooms yet in case no further space-related guests are announced. Any chance the orgs. could at least confirm that they are hoping for a few big names? ;)

i think we pull a lot out the back near the event and guest know what they are dong around a month to two moths before an event so really the thing to do is come to the event anyway you know 99.99 % of the time we do pull it of , all you need to do is book the time off , tickets are avalable on the day and the guest we do get are amazing and in years to come when they are not with us anymore you you could not put a price on having met them, let along what the autos are worth then as well , you cannot buy memorys they are price less

i do think people do not understand that we run this event not for money "as there really is none after the event we just hope to brake even" but to meet the guests our selfs , some of them will never be back to an event in the UK again so we go out our way to get really cool guests every time for this show a real mix of history

well i hope you are happy and we will see you there

jason

Jason - you know there is only one way to silence the complainers in here; announce a massive guest!! :lol:

Jason - you know there is only one way to silence the complainers in here; announce a massive guest!! :(

What about Sir. L. Neilsen? ^_^

Drebin is a massive guest I know (along with a great line up of other top names), I just meant announce ANOTHER massive guest - you can never have too many!! :(