Total newbie (not your typical Stargate fan :)

kimberleydayle

Hiya :)

I'm SO coming to this event. Esp if there are people from SG1 coming, as that's definately my favourite. I started to watch this show (I got the 10 season boxset on a whim) as I was bored having nothing to do after my gigs (I'm a singer) and Lost and Heroes was on hiatus.

It's like...I never watched the XFiles and got to watch it all in one go. Honestly, this show rocks like nothing else. I've been watching it up until 5am some nights! I can't stop! It's just one...more...episode!

Favourite eps so far are The Changeling, Window of Opportunity, the one with the SG1 robots, 1969, Abyss, and Full Circle. Also Lost City...

I'm up to series 8 and have just started watching Atlantis. I want to do it in total chronological order! :)

Anyway - I was just wondering, uh, ok. I'm not your typical sci-fi/convention goer. I'm blonde and happen to look quite a bit like Britney Spears (don't ask). So usually people go - "huh? Sci-fi fan? You should be at Topshop or something". Also, I've been to a few conventions before, back when I was a film student because I wanted to go to the Stanley Kubrick film interview that a few of the conventions were having. And the people...were...uh... a bit weird lol. There was a lot of star trek people there! They were uh... a bit obsessive. Although... saying that, as I am probably totally joining the ranks of stargate obsessiveness...

Also, what are the guests usually like? Are they mostly nice? I've met a lot of celebs in my job that seem to think the sun shines out of their spam lol... but I've also met a lot of really down to earth people.... it tends to be the ones that are C and B listers that are the idiots, all the A-listers I've met have been super nice.

Anyway - just throwing this out there. Shameless geeky sci-fi is my secret guilty pleasure. It would be awesome just to go to something like this, but I won't find myself completely out of my depth? Or...worse... chased around the room by 300 guys who act like they've never seen a blonde with boobs! ;-) Please note the sarcasm here. :) Although... I did go to a sci-fi meetup once in London and you would think that the people there had never seen daylight. Or a female under 50. LOL...

x Kim

Hi Kim,

Welcome to twilight zone...that is how it seems to me. Once you enter Stargate, you can never return.

You will have a great time, have been to all the other Chevron's and each is different and unique.

I normally get roped into bringing along some original Stargate costumes and have for the past 2 cons been privileged to display them with Star Warrior so was glad to know that your fav episodes are similar to mine i.e.

Window of Opportunity, Tin-man (the one with the SG1 robots) and 1969.

I am hoping to bring along some items again this year..will try and remember to bring along Sam's Tin-man costume and her hippy top from 1969 and ...and might even have a prop from Windows.

See you at 7.4

bye for now

Claire

All I can say is: what is your typical scifi fan? If I tell people I'm going to a convention, the first look is a weird one of: are you a scifi-geek then? so I guess I don't look like one either apparently, whatever it may entail, as I can say for everyone I've met at 7.2. The people are more normal than you'd expect I'd say ^_^

I know what you mean! I first went to a convention in Canada earlier this year and I was soooo worried I was going to look out of place - boy was I wrong! there really is a complete mixture of people there so the old stereotype is completely wrong and out the window! you'll meet young, old, female, male etc... etc...

Sure, some people will dress up but you don't have to and you'll really enjoy looking at some of the costumes people wear as they can be good - personally I just go in jeans and a nice top and look like I've just walked in off the street!

The stars I've met before have been soooo nice it's unbelievable! really look you in the eye and genuinely interested, pleasant and pleased that you've come to meet them - one way of knowing that is to go on Twitter (if you're not already a member) and you can follow David Hewlett, Brian Smith and Bam Bam who are all going to the 7.4 as well as some other stars (Amanda Tapping, Jewel Staite, David Blue), you'll see that they are really down to earth people.

You will have an absolulte blast and everyone is really friendly - I go on my own and always find people to talk to.

Marie.

Whenever me & my sister go people always come up to us at the event and say - i didn't expect you to be into stargate!! but everyone is so lovely and the chevron weekends have been some of the best weekends of my life! you'll love it!! :)

I know what you mean! I first went to a convention in Canada earlier this year and I was soooo worried I was going to look out of place - boy was I wrong! there really is a complete mixture of people there so the old stereotype is completely wrong and out the window! you'll meet young, old, female, male etc... etc...

Sure, some people will dress up but you don't have to and you'll really enjoy looking at some of the costumes people wear as they can be good - personally I just go in jeans and a nice top and look like I've just walked in off the street!

The stars I've met before have been soooo nice it's unbelievable! really look you in the eye and genuinely interested, pleasant and pleased that you've come to meet them - one way of knowing that is to go on Twitter (if you're not already a member) and you can follow David Hewlett, Brian Smith and Bam Bam who are all going to the 7.4 as well as some other stars (Amanda Tapping, Jewel Staite, David Blue), you'll see that they are really down to earth people.

You will have an absolulte blast and everyone is really friendly - I go on my own and always find people to talk to.

Marie.

LOL - that's pretty cool :) I love to dress up too, I kinda do that for a living lol I'm pretty used to it :)

Oh! I forgot about the Wormhole X-Treme episode! So 4th wall... and pretty ahead of it's time I think.

That's great that the guests are nice, I think they usually really appreciate that they have great fans! A friend of mine from LA called Laura is pretty big in the whole horror/sci-fi direct to DVD subgenre, and she gets buckets of fan mail - and always has a big line at the conventions! So funny! :)

I guess I just don't fit into that kind of stereotype :) I remember when I was at that one in London these two guys were having a heated argument about the right kind of Klingon makeup or something. For F**ks sake lol :) Although, saying that, I've met some pretty crazy Britney fans too. :) It's almost at the same level!

I think if I dressed up I would go with other dressed up people :) And at least definately would go with someone...although lol most of my friends would be like...huh? Stargate? Are you f***king serious? :) They just don't understand...... lol....

Randomly, usually when I like a TV series, it's because I like the actors, or the director/producer etc. Stargate was completely different, I've always been into Egyptology and UFO's...and so when I started watching it I was like woah! They read my mind! :thumbup:

Kim :)

Edited by kimdayle

All I can say is: what is your typical scifi fan? If I tell people I'm going to a convention, the first look is a weird one of: are you a scifi-geek then? so I guess I don't look like one either apparently, whatever it may entail, as I can say for everyone I've met at 7.2. The people are more normal than you'd expect I'd say ;)

Couldn't agree more. I've met some lovely people and everyone is very friendly and prepared to chat.

Then I'm really looking forward to it! :) It's been really awesome, watching all 10 seasons in one go. I'm going to miss SG-1 though when it's done, I definately think that's my favourite. :) One of the best sci-fi shows of all time, that + Battlestar Galactica (new version) and ... uh... Lost. :)

x Kim

I'm blonde and happen to look quite a bit like Britney Spears

x Kim

Suddenly I want to go to chevron 7.4 now!!

2010 from series 4 is my fav episode i think, awesome ep, sg1 is a brilliant series!

there is one thing ive noticed since getting into the convention circuit this year is that there are plenty of gorgeous women, so dont worry you wont be surrounded by 300 guys with there chewbacca limited edition dolls lol. there are a wide range of ppl from all over the world, all ages and sizes. so you wont feel out of place.

though ive never been to a specific con yet, ive only been to the collectormanias. my first specific con will be time quest next year. so not sure if chevron 7 has any demographic majority or not? but im sure there will be women there! so you wont be alone lol

id be up for this but for me more sg1 main cast are needed to attract me at the prices im afraid, im skint at the moment lol, especially after ordering the silver ticket for time quest

Then I'm really looking forward to it! :) It's been really awesome, watching all 10 seasons in one go. I'm going to miss SG-1 though when it's done, I definately think that's my favourite. :) One of the best sci-fi shows of all time, that + Battlestar Galactica (new version) and ... uh... Lost. :)

x Kim

it definitely is and if you like that and battlestar check out Stargate universe, its like a mix of the 2, and so far im loving it. i never got into atlantis, not seen past series 2, mainly cos it felt like they were ripping of sg1, all the characters were similar to the sg1 cast as were alot of the story lines, they even brought in a alien male baddass te'lc character very early on, also the wraith werent all that i thought. still ill get round to the final few seasons one day.

I have to agree, the prices are pretty steep - am interested to meet McKay though :) We def. need someone from SG-1 though there.

Thanks for this guys though. I thought I would be completely out of place lol...but seems like everyone is pretty cool! That's awesome! LOL about the chewbacca dolls. You know, it's funny...I've never actually seen Empire Strikes Back, or ROTJ, or any of the prequels. LOL! I saw the original Star Wars on the beach in Cannes, and I thought, well, nothing can top this, and just never got round to it. :)

Something I love about this show though is how it takes the **** out of other sci-fi shows, esp. Trek which is so funny. I watched Trek on and off when I was a kid, and (sorry!) I just found it, uh, a bit dumb. Also, the Star Wars references in this show just rock - the whole fact that Teal'c has seen it 7 times or something is just genius. :)

So....what does everyone usually dress up as? SG-1 team? Goa'uld? Wraith? LOL!

x Kim

I have to agree, the prices are pretty steep - am interested to meet McKay though :) We def. need someone from SG-1 though there.

Thanks for this guys though. I thought I would be completely out of place lol...but seems like everyone is pretty cool! That's awesome! LOL about the chewbacca dolls. You know, it's funny...I've never actually seen Empire Strikes Back, or ROTJ, or any of the prequels. LOL! I saw the original Star Wars on the beach in Cannes, and I thought, well, nothing can top this, and just never got round to it. :)

Something I love about this show though is how it takes the **** out of other sci-fi shows, esp. Trek which is so funny. I watched Trek on and off when I was a kid, and (sorry!) I just found it, uh, a bit dumb. Also, the Star Wars references in this show just rock - the whole fact that Teal'c has seen it 7 times or something is just genius. :)

So....what does everyone usually dress up as? SG-1 team? Goa'uld? Wraith? LOL!

x Kim

in the past i have seen people in sg combats, wraith, even the tokra, vala, and one in the full serprent jaffa outfit was awesome

Full serpent Jaffa outfit? Daaaaaamn! Some people have too much time on their hands lol...

(random note - just discovered they have Egyptian Archeology studies at UCL :) lol if I don't want to leave London...am seriously tempted :) that's what got me into Stargate in the first place lol. Although would probably be laughed out of the lecture hall if I said my inspiration to study archeology was cos I wanted to prove aliens built the pyramids :) Hahahahaha! (read WAY too much Erik Von Daniken when I was a kid. Roland Emmerich probably did as well haha! )

x

Full serpent Jaffa outfit? Daaaaaamn! Some people have too much time on their hands lol...

(random note - just discovered they have Egyptian Archeology studies at UCL :) lol if I don't want to leave London...am seriously tempted :) that's what got me into Stargate in the first place lol. Although would probably be laughed out of the lecture hall if I said my inspiration to study archeology was cos I wanted to prove aliens built the pyramids :) Hahahahaha! (read WAY too much Erik Von Daniken when I was a kid. Roland Emmerich probably did as well haha! )

x

it was awesome when i saw it had the staff weapon and everything, if the person who wears it out ther, its an awesome outfit

the most i have ventured was a hp outfit not really of anyone, although i now have an abby from ncis and *coughvelmacough* lol

i loved mythology, norse, greek, roman, arthurian, and SG-1 was brilliant for me, i couldnt wait for the next episode

i also need took a forensic archaeology course in bournemouth, hehehe