ADDED PHOTOSHOOTS

showmasters

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Showmasters Admin

Is the sales desk in the same sort of area as the organiser's booth, layout wise? Just so I know where I'm going on Saturday morning...

It's the same island. On the map you see org booth. The front is org booth and back is photo and card sales.

• Moderators

Is the sales desk in the same sort of area as the organiser's booth, layout wise? Just so I know where I'm going on Saturday morning...

It's the same island. On the map you see org booth. The front is org booth and back is photo and card sales.

Okay, thanks.

*goes back to plotting out where in her guests-to-meet list she pauses in collecting VTs to go down to sales desk*

Really disapointed that Gareth is only doing a photo shoot on the Saturday. I know that scheduels are tight and have to be fitted in but as John and kai are both doing their photos on Sunday I would have thought it would have been logical to have Gareths Sunday too as maybe more Torchwood fans will be there Sunday what with John being there. I can only make it Sunday and all this hoping he would do a photo shoot and then seeing that he was got me excited but disapointment followed when I saw it was only Saturday. Never mind just hopefully he'll do a photo at the table when he does autographs (not the same though).

To the same logic, having Gareths on the Sunday would also mean a lot of Torchwood fans going to that, and struggling even more to get John's autograph.

That's true I guess. :thumbup: In an ideal world it would be great if he could have done a photo shoot both days like some of the other guests. ;) I was suprised to see that an extra photo shoot was put in for John as I'm sure that there are going to be quite a few wanting his autograph (if his last appearance at Milton Keynes was anything to go by). Doing that and fitting in two photo shoots and the Torchwood talk seems like a tall order although I'm sure it's all been thought through and is do-able. Going back to your above post perhaps a photo shoot with Gareth could have been slotted in where Johns extra photo shoot is now freeing up more time for John to do the autographs for all the extra Torchwood fans that would be there on the Sunday. :D

Edited by Tina

I'm pleased that people who didn't get a John photo can now get one but with two photo sessions, a talk and lunch that doesn't leave a massive amount of time for autographs. I won't be too pleased if for example we have to have a no personalisations rule because an additional photo session has been added.

Yeah i agree Persephone1 i really wonder if John will be personalising now...... I was thinking about it before, now there is even less chance! Gutted if he isn't, that's one of the reasons why i go to events...anyone can get an autograph, it's much nore sentimental having personalised.

Although, good on you SM letting as many people meet him as the time permits.

Edited by Elspeth

• Moderators

I did discuss this with someone the other day, wondering if John would be personalising at all.

I think it was always going to be a possibility that he wouldn't due to the amount of people he would have to get through.

I did discuss this with someone the other day, wondering if John would be personalising at all.

I think it was always going to be a possibility that he wouldn't due to the amount of people he would have to get through.

Yeah in knew it was always going to be a possiblility...now it just seems even more likely. Although I didn't think Scott Bakula would be personalising at LFCC but he was :thumbup: so you never know.............

Edited by Elspeth

Yup I agree always a possibility.

Thing is I see John a lot at various events and if I wanted a quick scrawl of JBarrowman I can easily get it at a stage door. I see events like Collectormania London not as an excuse to have a 20 minute chat with him at the table but as an opportunity to spend my 30 seconds of signing time to get items signed which you can't easily get signed over a barrier in the cold at a stage door. And they tend to be items that I would like personalised and therefore I'm quite happy to pay for the chance to get them signed properly.

But if we're looking at a no personalisations rule then that's not much of an incentive to spend £20 per item when I could just man up and lug them to Cardiff panto instead. I'll be quite disappointed if he's not personalising as it all becomes a bit too much conveyor belt like at that point.

Have to say of they were going to add another shoot they should have opted for the one that Torchwood fans would really appreciate - joint GDL/JB shoot.

• Moderators

It's a very tricky situation with John only there for a day.

1) His shoot sold out so a lot of people missed out.

2) Shoots are quicker, which means more people will meet him.

3) If he stopped personalising, he'd likely get through more people.

4) Some people only want autographs if personalising.

5) People wanted a GDL shoot. Some would love a joint one, some want solo.

6) Yeah, you can't please everyone ..

Obviously if people have the opportunity to meet him elsewhere then that's great. There'll be a good amount that can't though, and will be glad of anything they can get. So hopefully the majority can go away happy at the end of the day. That's all anyone can ever aim for.

I think it's quite difficult to balance the see-saw with hugely popular guests. Personalisations are much more attractive to me, especially at £20, but I understand the need for speed in certain circumstances. If John isn't personalising, I hope that it's made clear up front, so that people can make an informed decision before getting their wallets or purses out (Showmasters are usually good at this, so I'm confident). I'm sure I'll still go for it, but at least I'll know what I'm getting. For me, the personalisation will be the photo. It kinda works.

Yup I agree always a possibility.

Thing is I see John a lot at various events and if I wanted a quick scrawl of JBarrowman I can easily get it at a stage door. I see events like Collectormania London not as an excuse to have a 20 minute chat with him at the table but as an opportunity to spend my 30 seconds of signing time to get items signed which you can't easily get signed over a barrier in the cold at a stage door. And they tend to be items that I would like personalised and therefore I'm quite happy to pay for the chance to get them signed properly.

But if we're looking at a no personalisations rule then that's not much of an incentive to spend £20 per item when I could just man up and lug them to Cardiff panto instead. I'll be quite disappointed if he's not personalising as it all becomes a bit too much conveyor belt like at that point.

Have to say of they were going to add another shoot they should have opted for the one that Torchwood fans would really appreciate - joint GDL/JB shoot.

Yeah I agree with what you said. The last time I met JB at one of these events it was so rushed that I only managed to get a photo with him stood there like a statue with a fixed grin (poor guy) and he had no time to even look at the fans, let alone to greet them. And the auto was like a 2 second job with John looking stressed and not having time to acknowledge the fans. I think the extra photoshoot on the Sunday should of been a joint JB & GDL one as well. I was only wanting to see those guys, so now it means I have to attend both days, which I'm not totally complaining about. But it means I will have to queue to hopefully get a Saturday entry ticket, but will there be enough photo tickets left for the GDL photo session? If not then my day will be ruined as well as my pocket... Not sure what to do to be honest? :thumbup:

• Moderators

I do think that John's fanbase stretches out a lot further over his various work than Gareth's does. Therefore, I wouldn't have suggested a joint one as not everyone is meeting John for Torchwood.

As for whether there'll be tickets left for Gareth's photos, no one can predict that. As with anything, the earlier you get there the better chance you stand.

The last time I met JB at one of these events it was so rushed that I only managed to get a photo with him stood there like a statue with a fixed grin (poor guy) and he had no time to even look at the fans, let alone to greet them.

I think it's worth quoting this to draw attention to the fact that, yep, this is pretty much what busy, sold-out shoots are like. You're not really meeting the guest at all - you're stepping into the frame for five seconds and stepping out again. It's fascinating to watch (the speed of Eve Myles' shoot at LFCC made me laugh), and the fact that objectively bad photos rarely (never?) get taken is testament to the skills of the photographers, who work like demons at these shows.

• Moderators

Yeah my Eve one was an interesting experience .. walk-sit-smile-stand-go .. felt like one quick motion, and yet it came out pretty good considering.

As long as there's smiles and open eyes, I'm pretty easily pleased ..

But it means I will have to queue to hopefully get a Saturday entry ticket, but will there be enough photo tickets left for the GDL photo session? If not then my day will be ruined as well as my pocket... Not sure what to do to be honest?

Whilst you can never generalise I think its fair to say that the vast majority of Torchwood fans are going on the Sunday as John is there that day and John's final two performances in La Cage Aux Folles are on Saturday - so I would think you would be OK for a GDL photo.

I think it's quite difficult to balance the see-saw with hugely popular guests. Personalisations are much more attractive to me, especially at £20, but I understand the need for speed in certain circumstances. If John isn't personalising, I hope that it's made clear up front, so that people can make an informed decision before getting their wallets or purses out (Showmasters are usually good at this, so I'm confident). I'm sure I'll still go for it, but at least I'll know what I'm getting. For me, the personalisation will be the photo. It kinda works.

I agree - sometimes I think a decision needs to be made as to what a guest can comfortably do in one day without the process becoming hugely stressful and stick to that. John is going to be very busy and his signing time was already going to be limited with 1 photo session and a talk. Now with 2 photo sessions and a talk his time for signing is going to be very limited indeed. So more people will get their 10 second photo with him which is lovely but of course not everyone likes photos and people who want autographs are going to have in all likelihood a very rushed experience. Now whilst I have no issue with that at all at say an in- store signing where I would expect no more than a smile, signature and off you go it becomes an issue when you're paying £20 an item. Because whilst I would happily pay more than that for John's autograph £20 for a signature with no personalisation starts to sound quite expensive.

I'm sure I'll go up regardless but I do think that the addition of the extra shoot has just meant that the experience of meeting John on Sunday has just gone from being possibly a wee bit stressful as they'll be lots of people (including tons of newbies) to potentially absolutely insanely stressful as he now has 2 photo sessions, a talk and hundreds of autos to get through and people will be stressing out about how limited his signing time is and how much else they may have to do that day.

All I can say is I pity the pit boss and crew that's looking after his area on Sunday.

I don't see that it will be more stressful. Surely people can relax as soon as they have a virtual ticket for an autograph, because they can just go up as soon as their number is called, and can plan their day around it. As I understand it from the FAQs you don't have to go immediately your number comes up - perhaps one of the Moderators can clarify - you can't be "too late" can you (unless the guest goes home I suppose)??

• Moderators

I don't see that it will be more stressful. Surely people can relax as soon as they have a virtual ticket for an autograph, because they can just go up as soon as their number is called, and can plan their day around it. As I understand it from the FAQs you don't have to go immediately your number comes up - perhaps one of the Moderators can clarify - you can't be "too late" can you (unless the guest goes home I suppose)??

It's not really about being "too late" - it's that they'll give out however many VQ tickets, but that doesn't guarantee that you'll get to see the guest.

No one knows how many John will actually be able to get through in the signing time he has.

Getting a VQ ticket doesn't guarantee an autograph. If say for example you get VQ ticket 1000 that doesn't mean you're guaranteed to get an autograph if the guest only has time to sign up to say 750. Now I believe the last time John did a one day event like this they gave out 1000 VQ tickets, they stopped personalisations at lunchtime and he did get through everyone with an open queue at the end of the day. So he saw everyone who wanted to see him.

But those who saw him from mid afternoon onwards complained afterwards about how horribly rushed it was with John looking thoroughly stressed out and miserable. And he didn't do a talk there(although he did have a 90 minute photo session).

Thanks David. I have been to one of John's book signings, and he's pretty fast. It's not deep and meaningful, which is what some people seem to want, but you do come away with a signature. Let's hope he'll be signing at full speed on Sunday

Oh I don't think anyone is looking for deep and meaningful - most people who go to these events now know the score - 10 seconds signing time and you're off. And that's absolutely fine and dandy. But theres still quite a difference between a scrawled sig and a personalisation which is what I prefer.

Edited by Persephone1

He can't have been too stressed or miserable, or he wouldn't be coming on Sunday, surely? I appreciate that he's only human, but the one time I met John he seemed very happy to meet fans. We'll just have to see how things go on the day, I think.

But theres still quite a difference between a scrawled sig and a personalisation which is what I prefer.

I agree, and it's up to you if you want to part with your money for the former if you really want the latter.