Any Chance....

cazbutler

Any chance of any kind of play area for children please? I always see loads of other young kids when I go and as got to wait round for Torchwood talk can see my daughter and perhaps lots of other kids getting very bored and annoying the other childless people at the convention. I have been to conventions where they had facepainting etc...

Thanks

When I come to these events, I hate having to try and find a parking space as its always so busy. Any chance of providing valet parking? It would make things so much easier for me.

Sarcasm - sorry, I know it's the lowest form of wit.

Edited by keithporter23

No need for that really - I just made an observation and no I dont really want to leave my child behind. I was only on about a bit of space for the kids to play. There is going to be a goth zone - bet there are more parents with kids there than goths. Just a thought no need to jump on it. My entry fee money is just as good as everyone elses. So dont moan when other peoples kids are running round under your feet.

Charisma - thanks, if she behaves at these things she usually gets a my little pony cos there is usually a women there selling them.

Well after all these years of events and parents bringing kids they havnt even suggested having one, so apparently they either cant or dont see a need.

I can see how it can get tough, those of us without kids in tow get tired at events so parents must get it even worse.

But, like with a lot of things at these events, its the customer's choice and risk. SM will sympathise that you cant get anyone to look after the kids/they get bored easy, but providing some sort of service means paying out more money for both rooms/equipment and staff.

To run a play room/area/activity stuff it means having a dedicated area either sectioned off or in a room, both costing money and effort to set up. Then you have to have people there able to do such activities as facepainting, plus then as its for kids you have to put those people through that child protection test thing (forgotten the name) which means more paper-work for SM.

As others have said a bit more bluntly, yes these are family events, but based on the family being able to do all the things SM provide together, not having certain things set up for certain ages.

There are no age restrictions on anything SM do at these events, so they feel no need to provide something to occupy people who have bought tickets for the event, whether they are old enough to appreciate it or not.

It was just a suggestion cos of all the other new stuff they are introducing - if it offends people so much then forget it. I didnt mean someone to supervise kids I meant a bit of space (sorry to repeat myself). I dont see how people get their backs up so much about something so simple - I am not a goth so what good is a goth area to me - I could have jumped on that and moaned about it but at the end of the day it doesnt affect me as this would not affect you. I dont see the difference. Im starting to wish i hadnt bothered opening my mouth.

Edited by karaoke_krazy

• Moderators

I don't think anyone's offended :D

Of course suggestions are taken on board. As Beatrix said though, I don't think I've ever seen such a thing suggested before, and kids seem to be ok generally. There would have to be more demand shown for child-related things, so if you do know anyone with similar views then get them to post.

Maybe dress the kids up in Steampunk costumes and problem solved :spew:

I don't think anyone's offended :D

Of course suggestions are taken on board. As Beatrix said though, I don't think I've ever seen such a thing suggested before, and kids seem to be ok generally. There would have to be more demand shown for child-related things, so if you do know anyone with similar views then get them to post.

Maybe dress the kids up in Steampunk costumes and problem solved :uhoh:

Thank you for something a bit more constructive - just cant understand why some people get so annoyed about such simple things, like I suggested something outrageous. Are we allowed in and out, might take a break in-between and have a look round london for 2 hours or something.

Child protection = CRB check.

And the way that health and safety laws are going (and I'm not saying they're wrong, but since I run a Guide unit it's getting more and more difficult these days with all the laws for those of us that aren't going to hurt the children. Now we even need to get parents CRB checked if they're giving lifts to Guides that are not their daughters. *facepalms*)

Anyway, the main reason that this wouldn't work, is that SM would have to provide someone to look after the area, most likely so they weren't liable in the case of an accident and those people would have to be CRB checked which is an annoying and fairly longwinded procedure.

Which probably means those of us that are already checked would be volunteered to run it, and not to put too fine a point on it, I didn't exactly sign up to crew cons to run a playgroup.

I understand where you're coming from. I took my nephew to one never again. Lol. I think it's just something people have never thought of before. And to mr or mrs valet parking please grow up, comments as such aint needed. On another note it's a good suggestion but the sheer amount of red tape makes it impossible. Polititions they need to venture into the real world from time to time. Ok rant over sorry if i trod on any toes when i get going it's hard to stop me. Lol.

And to mr or mrs valet parking please grow up, comments as such aint needed.

Sorry for my comments, and this isn't aimed at anyone in particular, but i'm sick of people in society today who practically need their ar*es wiped for them. If I go for a night out at the pub, I don't expect the pub to provide child care or activities for them. I would arrange it myself. Consequently, if I go away for a weekend (a con or something else), I wouldnt expect the place i'm going to arrange care for my own child. I'd either arrange it myself, or not go.

If you are a parent, you should know your own child's boredom threshold (which at these events I can imagine can be stretched!). What drives me crazy is these idiotic parents, who take their 3 year old children to screenings of Harry Potter at the cinema then expect these children to behave and everyone else to put up with them when they don't.

Rant over!!!

Edited by keithporter23

And to mr or mrs valet parking please grow up, comments as such aint needed.

Sorry for my comments, and this isn't aimed at anyone in particular, but i'm sick of people in society today who practically need their ar*es wiped for them. If I go for a night out at the pub, I don't expect the pub to provide child care or activities for them. I would arrange it myself. Consequently, if I go away for a weekend (a con or something else), I wouldnt expect the place i'm going to arrange care for my own child. I'd either arrange it myself, or not go.

If you are a parent, you should know your own child's boredom threshold (which at these events I can imagine can be stretched!). What drives me crazy is these idiotic parents, who take their 3 year old children to screenings of Harry Potter at the cinema then expect these children to behave and everyone else to put up with them when they don't.

Rant over!!!

Yeah, I think you totally misunderstood what I was suggesting - I didnt mean I wanted to dump my child off somewhere with a randomer, I just meant somewhere my husband could go and sit with her out of the way that maybe had something on telly for kids or a bit of space with some carpet etc. I notice that there are never many places to sit at the tea stands etc. Free childcare = Ridiculous, family area = more sensible and reasonable suggestion. I am not sure if the area would even need monitoring really as parents would be looking after their own kids

Yeah, I think you totally misunderstood what I was suggesting - I didnt mean I wanted to dump my child off somewhere with a randomer, I just meant somewhere my husband could go and sit with her out of the way that maybe had something on telly for kids or a bit of space with some carpet etc. I notice that there are never many places to sit at the tea stands etc. Free childcare = Ridiculous, family area = more sensible and reasonable suggestion. I am not sure if the area would even need monitoring really as parents would be looking after their own kids

Fair comment :YAHOO: