• true blood , vampire diaries
    • vampire diaries & Twilight
    • vampire ball
    • horror ball
  3. 3. section 3

• mixed horror guests
    • vampire guest for any shows

• Showmasters Admin

well we have lots in store for you all at this event its going to be a lot of fun as you can do so much with Halloween :YAHOO:

but we are already looking at next years event as we plan to have a event every year on Halloween but we want to see if we go down the road of Joss Whedon work again or do we add something more and get guests from other shows as well ?

please use the poll below and help us shape 2010's Halloween :D

and if you do not plan to attend an event like this please do not use the poll as we will use this to help us make the event just the way you want it so if you are not going to go them it will mess it up thank

thanks for all your feed back we do listen :D and we will try to bring you the events you want

see you there

this is going to be a really great event :D

jason :wub:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Personally I don't think any of them should be mixed, as even though they share similar themes and genre, they don't all have the same fans.

Whedon themed in itself is risky enough, but luckily there's a good amount of fans that do like more than one of his shows.

But to then bring in other stuff simply because it's vampire based just wouldn't work.

It's why you can't just do a 'horror' con, as it's too wide.

So just Whedon is the way I'd go. Twilight already has two cons, True Blood already has a con, and Vampire Diaries hasn't even launched over here and is too early in the US to even judge.

Whedon only please. That gives you a MASSIVE pool of guests to choose from already. I just did a quick sweep of recurring and main characters from all of Joss's shows and there's more than a HUNDRED. If you remove the basic overlaps, there's still 80+.

If any event I go to is polluted by Twilight I will actually not go. And putting aside my vehement hatred of that brainless trash... that's going to be a problem whenever shows are combined. One set of fans might not like the other show, or might not even like the other set of fans.

I haven't read/seen any of the other but I'll go with what Phychosis said. From what I've seen one my friends list on LiveJournal, opinions about the various shows/books/movies do differ a lot.

While some do enjoy anything that has vampires in it (and I really don't blame them), others seriously dislike these new sorts of vampire shows/books. There are some serious fandom wars going on.

I'm not sure if a con would work where these shows are combined. I doubt there'd be an actual fist fight but you never know :D

eta - posted while you posted, David. No flaming of other fanbases instended, just sayin :)

Edited by Sway

twilights already got what 2 cons planned and probubly more proms?

lets just keep joss for us! its gots its dedicated fans and im sure it will sell stedily again!

please dont go mixing... not everyones into twilight or the other shows.

Although i am a huge Twilight fan and a huge fan of Joss Whedon shows, i dont think mixing the two is a good idea. There are many Joss shows to get guests from so i dont see why it needs to be mixed and like its been said, Twilight itself has its own cons already. Like Sazzy said the Twilight cons sell out super fast, which wont leave much for the Joss fans ticket wise. I think stick to what it originally is, just a Joss con.

This is not a dig at Twilight before I start.

I feel that Twilight is currently already well catered for with the number of cons/proms that have already been and are currently planned for the future, as well as guests appearing at normal signing events.

Or why not just plan a Supernatural con as it's sort of Horror related for Halloween weekend ?

Edited by gebes

I'm a fan of all the shows up there coz I just <3 anything with vampires in lol.

But I think it should just be Joss related...or maybe just even a Buffy/Angel con.

As other ppl have said, Twilight and True Blood already have their own events.

As much I'd love Twi guests all the time it wouldnt really be fair.

Making it too wide a choice will probably just alienate fanbases rather than bringing them together.

Pleeaaseee bring Ian Somerhalder over again tho!!

xxxx

• Showmasters Admin

you seem to have missed what the pole is about

its a Halloween event ok so do we just keep it for Joss Whedon shows ? or do we make is a mixed event

and if it helps sell it out that means you all get to meet more guests :D

i am not saying its going to be one show or another i am just asking you if you think mixing up the shows out there would keep people interested in this event for next year ?

one thing that is true cons do die out and the big pull for this event has been Buffy and Angle and they are old shows so we want to keep this event going every year and we felt having guest from many shows might keep it going so we all have a great party to go to every Halloween

jason

and another point is.. weve all seen how twilight cons sell out, if u mix joss n twi.. joss fans arent even gunna get a chance at tickets... i think its a BAD BAD BAD idea.

can i point out that the last two events did not sell out far from it only the first one after 6 months and the 2nd after 13 days and that was just after the film was out

jason :D

i personaly do see your point but.. dollhouse is a new joss show.. with all new fans and new people to get for it, so its not just old shows ur dealing with, even tho its james n nick thatys probubly sold hallowhedon how well it has..

i just think, personaly, i love the idea off just a joss show and theres plenty of opertunitys for new guests.. whos never done cons before, im sure u cud get fans to make a list for u if u liked :Dlol

ok so proms didnt but i recon 3 and 4 will right?

Edited by Sazzzy

I guess I should reword it more cuddly then...

Section 1:

Joss Whedon shows guests only

However, I would also be happy with:

Joss Whedon shows & true blood guests

Joss Whedon shows & General horror

-OR-

Joss Whedon shows & any vampire guest

Section 2:

true blood , vampire diaries

However, I also wouldn't mind if it was either of these:

vampire ball

-OR-

horror ball

Section 3:

Either is good as I'm a massive vampire (except sparkly ones) fan but I love all aspects of horror. I also love Halloween more than I love Christmas, so that's why I would love to attend a convention consisting of good horror.

Edited by Lenatalia

• Showmasters Admin

you seem to have missed what the pole is about

its a Halloween event ok so do we just keep it for Joss Whedon shows ? or do we make is a mixed event

and if it helps sell it out that means you all get to meet more guests :D

i am not saying its going to be one show or another i am just asking you if you think mixing up the shows out there would keep people interested in this event for next year ?

one thing that is true cons do die out and the big pull for this event has been Buffy and Angle and they are old shows so we want to keep this event going every year and we felt having guest from many shows might keep it going so we all have a great party to go to every Halloween

jason

and another point is.. weve all seen how twilight cons sell out, if u mix joss n twi.. joss fans arent even gunna get a chance at tickets... i think its a BAD BAD BAD idea.

can i point out that the last two events did not sell out far from it only the first one after 6 months and the 2nd after 13 days and that was just after the film was out

jason :D

everyone is going of on the twilight them , can i also point out that you could bring Supernatral guest to an event like this there is much more than just twilight out there ok

jason

I feel it'll pull enough fans in being just Joss based I intend to do one again next year.With the amoutn of vamp nbased shows the oyunger generation have a habit fo wanting to know what preceeded the genre which mostly will include Buffy and Angel so I can't see the fanbase dying out.

Horror/Vampire is jsut too widea cross section of genres which will liekly lead to more confusion on what the con is.KEep bringing me people i haven't met and you will guarentee a gold pass every year (excluding this one as I was too late)

Well, if it's leaning towards general Halloween, horror, vampire etc guests then can you include Supernatural in the list of shows?!

I can see what you mean and are trying to do by having more options to keep a variety of ppl and fanbases interested in the event but I'm just not sure if would work.

You'd have to find a lot of ppl who liked all the different shows otherwise ppl would probably have to book on maybe only liking one guest out of 6 and, as we all know, it's always a risk to do that.

xxxx

oh dont get me wrong, i am also a vampire diaries, supernatural and true blood fan.. i just wudnt want them mixed with joss shows lol.

didnt you try a mixed show one before with abrams and it didnt work? or did i get my wires wrong there? if so sorry.

Edited by Sazzzy

The thing with mixing events is that not everyone likes all the shows being mixed together, so if there is guest going that they don't really know/like they are less than likely to attend.

Yes a sell out is better cos the more guests but the more of a mixture the is i think the less likely it'll sell. Joss Whedon's shows have sold pretty damn well this year and ok its not a complete sell out but it proves that Buffy/Angel are old shows but they still live on and so does Joss with Dollhouse and all the new Guest oppotunities that we have there.

I too love all the shows listed but I don't want to go to a mixed con thats what I go to collectormanias for, the wide variety of guests but for the weekend events and the small number of guests you get (4-6) I would rather it be just Joss, or just supernatural etc.. etc..

Edited by Gemmaxoxo

• Moderators

The main problem is that you'll get multiple fanbases all expecting a certain amount of guests for them to want to book up, with very few fans liking ALL of what is on offer.

With Whedon related stuff, there are a lot of fans who like his work, and so followed Buffy, then Angel, then Firefly, and Dollhouse.

But then you water it down with fans who like Whedon stuff AND Vampire Diaries .. even less .. or True Blood .. or Twilight .. your potential attendee pool gets smaller and smaller the wider you try to cast your net really.

While it works for a signing event, as people can come along and pay an entry fee and meet a couple of guests, there are very few people who will want to pay £80+ to do that at a convention. People generally want most of the lineup to be to their tastes.

A great party isn't enough for people to buy a ticket. You really need a strong focus on one fanbase to convince them to purchase, and I don't think horror/vampires can be considered that.

I think it's a really good idea mixing it up - especially for one reason.

If you're a fan of all these shows but can't attend Bitten, Eternal Twilight 3/4 etc but just have to choose one or two of them - this is the perfect opportunity to meet several of your favourite stars from your favourite shows without having to be attending 3-4 events.

Edited by Mandelina

Well, since I'm a fan of Joss Whedon shows, Twilight, True Blood AND Vampire Diaries I love this idea. Would be the perfect mix!

lol me too so it would be like the perfect event for me!!

However, I missed out on all the specific Buffy/Angel cons back in the day and there's soooo many guests from those shows I've yet to meet that I kinda just want it kept Joss related.

Plus I'm a Firefly/Dollhouse fan too so tbh I'm not the best person to give my view coz I'm likely to be happy whatever the decision!

xxxx