GUEST CANCELLATION John Barrowman

showmasters

The best goodwill gesture Massive Events can do is try to get some good replacement guests, and I think that's perfectly acceptable.

Very well said, as gutted as I am, I will not blame it on Massive Events or Showmasters. They couldn't have possibly predicted this and they will try to make up for it. It's not John's fault either really, he's a very busy man and will need his rest. When he agreed to come, he wasn't to know that the offer for La Cage Aux Folles would come up. It's just unfortunate. :WAVE:

John had never really been 100% going so I suppose we can't all be too disappointed as there was always a big possibility of his cancellation. I trust that ME/SM are going to make this event just as enjoyable without him!

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are ME/Showmasters supposed to do? Announce the con, say we've got guests but we are not telling you who until on the day cos they might get work and pull out and we don't want you to feel we have cheated you by marketing the guests we have got at the time we have got them in case they pull out?

Basically what they did with Hallowhedon.

And I'm not agreeing that people should get money back so don't flame me for that.

Not flaming anyone, just making the point.

John was announced so people bought tickets. John cancels, but you still have your tickets. Sorry but it's life!

I went to Hub 1 and 2 and am off to Hallowhedon.

I didn't buy a ticket for Hub 3 even though I wanted to meet John again mainly because this type of thing happens. It's happened before, it will certainly happen again!

I feel sorry for Bazz, Kris, Mandy and everyone else who bought tickets hoping to see JB again.

Go, enjoy it and buy your ticket for The Hub 4 - but don't rely on meeting the big name announcement... or we may well be having this conversation again in six months time!

(Sorry if that's blunt but...)

Edited by PlayfulHeartMonkey

I personally think, if you brought the ticket/s soley on JB attending then more fool you!

That's rather rude.

The point I am making is that, for me, this is now a very different event from the one that I purchased. At this point in time, and before booking any extra guests, SM would do well to offer people some sort of choice. I'm no expert, but I would say that there are enough guests already.

Edited by dayonestar

• Moderators

The point I am making is that, for me, this is now a very different event from the one that I purchased.

It's still a Torchwood convention with Torchwood guests who attend subject to work commitments, and is attended by fans who have purchased non-refundable tickets.

Not 'very' different - just one guest less. And it just happens to be the guest you wanted to see, and so you believe you're entitled to something that no one else is. I can understand why you feel that way, but it is completely unfair on everyone else.

There's not going to be a choice as you bought a ticket to The Hub, The Hub is still taking place. If every single guest cancelled and SM/ME decided to go ahead, there'd still be no refunds as the con would still be taking place. There are enough guests, there are enough events, people attending the Hub have way more than attendees of other cons.

Can we have Lachlan? I know it's hardly the same, but he's very cute :thumbup:

I wouldn't mind meeting Lachlan!

As I said in a previous thread, most people would like newer guests, not ones that have been to past Hubs. New guests from COE is exactly what we have. I to am disappointed about John cancelling, however there is still an excellent line up.

Edited by reddragon

I personally think, if you brought the ticket/s soley on JB attending then more fool you!

That's rather rude.

The point I am making is that, for me, this is now a very different event from the one that I purchased. At this point in time, and before booking any extra guests, SM would do well to offer people some sort of choice. I'm no expert, but I would say that there are enough guests already.

Im afraid I agree with Darknesshayz who is talking a great deal of sense. You do not buy a ticket for an event for one guest and it is the height of foolishness to do so. You always have to decide will I enjoy this event if the person I have booked for pulls out? If the answer is no then you shouldn't book until the week of the event (and therefore taking the chance that the event may sell out) so that you can guarantee that your guest of choice will be there.

The event now is not a different event from the one your purchased. You purchased a ticket for The Hub 3 - a Torchwood convention. You still have a ticket for the Hub 3 - Torchwood convention. This was a Torchwood event not a John Barrowman event. Those who tickets to Le Cage on 20th November get refunds because the play is being advertised as "John Barrowman in Le Cage" - his names above the title. You booked for The Hub 3 Torchwood Convention- which had John Barrowman as a guest. There's a difference.

You chose to book - take responsibility for your own actions and stop looking for a handout.

As I said in a previous thread, most people would like newer guests, not ones that have been to past Hubs. New guests from COE is exactly what we have. I to am disappointed about John cancelling, however there is still an excellent line up.

We've got lots of new ones already, nothing wrong with the occasional repeat - especially as I know loads of people going to this event who weren't at the first or second and so missed out.

That's rather rude.

The event now is not a different event from the one your purchased.

For me, it is. The customer is king. Except, it would appear, where convention tickets are concerned.

Can we have Lachlan? I know it's hardly the same, but he's very cute ;)

I wouldn't mind meeting Lachlan!

I wasn't at the first Hub (same with a lot of people) so he'd be new for me.

We've got lots of new ones already, nothing wrong with the occasional repeat - especially as I know loads of people going to this event who weren't at the first or second and so missed out.

Nothing wrong with a repeat guests - you are right but he wouldnt be top of the list - someone like Matt Ripey or Paul Kasey would be better.

That's rather rude.

The event now is not a different event from the one your purchased.

For me, it is. The customer is king. Except, it would appear, where convention tickets are concerned.

How about caveat emptor?

Sad news, indeed, especially as it would have been lovely to have John and Gareth at the same event again, as so many people wanted that right around now. Hopefully, that might be arranged at a future Hub, if there are more of them.

Now that I've indulged my obligatory whimper, though, thank you for trying, SM, and for hanging in there for as long as you did. I know how very frustrating it can be to deal with such vicissitudes and uncertainties of life, and I don't envy you right now. You've lined up many wonderful people, and I do look forward very much to the event, and to seeing what (and whom) you have in store for us.

But that's your issue not the convention organisers. If you buy a non refundable non transferrable ticket to an event based on the appearance of one guest then that is the chance you took. The terms and conditions were very clear.

Its the same as when David Tennant was appearing in Hamlet in the West End and injured himself. Because the RSC have a policy of having fully rehearsed understudies in place and you book to see the play not the performer no refunds were given.

So why exactly should the organisers compensate you for John's non-appearance just because you made the call to book to see one guest and one guest only?

Nothing wrong with a repeat guests - you are right but he wouldnt be top of the list - someone like Matt Ripey or Paul Kasey would be better.

These and Anthony Lewis.

I would add Matt Doman, but seeing as he's only been in TW once or Twice, i dunno, I guess he'd be suited more for a DW con though (he plays a new monster in who by the way)! Though he had a speaking part in TW & was well pleased about it! :)

I'd be happy with any of the guests above or even the dude who played Fobishor!

Edited by DarknessHayz

Ok. Assume you get a refund and then, for example, half of the other attendees demand the same. Suddeny ME will be looking at running the event at a huge loss the remainder of the fans. As DavidB pointed, it may not end there. Hallowhedon attendees may want the same refunds due to Robia LaMorte's appearance being cancelled. Likewise with Robert Picardo at Chevron 7.3, where does it end...pretty soon ME would be out of business.

Don't get me wrong I do sympathise for you but at the end of the day this was only ever an event for Torchwood not John Barrowman. It just highlights the fact that tickets for these types of conventions should only be purchased if you are a fan of the show and not a possible guest.

EDIT: For fans of John, ME/SM have done the next best thing that is possible by booking John for another event, and indeed so quickly - John's appearance at CM London is literally the day after his run La Cage Aux Folles concludes.

Edited by 1of2