GUEST CANCELLATION John Barrowman

showmasters

Any chances of getting John to record a message for us so that he could sort of be part of the event?

That would be great but if you could do that, could you please show it before the talks on Saturday? Everyone should be there then and I, like many other people, won't be there until the Saturday morning. :smile:

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm more disappointed for my mum than me, I convinced her to come.

I'm gutted for my mum too, when Showmasters posted that message earlier that he still plans for the Sunday I told her and she was over the moon as she was only going so she could see John Barrowman. Now he's cancelled, she won't really want to go as she isn't the biggest of Torchwood fans but she will come so that I can go too. :smile:

yeah I told mine that and she was happy too lol. That's lovely of her still coming for you though :P

Originally I was going on my own but as she's a Torchwood fan too I convinced her to come too. She's still looking forward to it and doesn't seem too bothered now I've told her John won't be there, but I still feel awful.

I didn't actually say, and nor did I mean, that anyone has done anything wrong. I do sympathise with SM, this is an awful thing to happen for them. But there most certainly was a marketing campaign before and during Hub 2 to sell tickets on the strength of John's announcement. It made absolute business sense to do so. Now that he's not coming, people should be offered some sort of choice as to whether they want to or not.

To offer nothing is tantamount to saying that if you're solely a John fan (as I am, and therefore really not interested in any of the other guests, lovely people though I'm sure they are), don't bother buying tickets at all.

Well, it is a Torchwood convention, not a John Barrowman convention. It has been said from the beginning guests appear subject to work commitments and that no refunds can be given.

Ditto. I agree whole heartly with Moonshine!

• Moderators

Now that he's not coming, people should be offered some sort of choice as to whether they want to or not.

To offer nothing is tantamount to saying that if you're solely a John fan (as I am, and therefore really not interested in any of the other guests, lovely people though I'm sure they are), don't bother buying tickets at all.

If people booked the tickets solely to meet John and John alone, then that was a very risky move on their part, but one that they chose to take. No one was forced to do so, nor were they under any illusion that John was guaranteed to attend, or that it was a John Barrowman convention.

To say to fans that they "shouldn't bother" purchasing tickets for one guest would be going a bit far, but I would certainly urge them to consider the huge risk they take before doing it.

What about fans who book tickets based on any of the other guests and then they pull out? I assume you would then support a similar refund system across the board regarding each single guest, not just John?

Now that he's not coming, people should be offered some sort of choice as to whether they want to or not.

If people booked the tickets solely to meet John and John alone, then that was a very risky move on their part, but one that they chose to take. No one was forced to do so, nor were they under any illusion that John was guaranteed to attend, or that it was a John Barrowman convention.

To say to fans that they "shouldn't bother" purchasing tickets for one guest would be going a bit far, but I would certainly urge them to consider the huge risk they take before doing it.

What about fans who book tickets based on any of the other guests and then they pull out? I assume you would then support a similar refund system across the board regarding each single guest, not just John?

No, in all fairness John's name was linked with Hub 3 right from the outset. And as I said, at the time, it made absolute sense to use his presence to market the event. But now the circumstances have changed, and I think that people should be offered some sort of choice because of that.

Edited by dayonestar

People shouldn't have bought tickets just for John as there is always a chance he could cancel (like he has) I don't really understand why people would buy a ticket (and quite an expensive ticket!) just for one guest when they could easily meet them elsewhere

Edited by ElectroxGirl

• Moderators

No, in all fairness John's name was linked with Hub 3 right from the outset. And as I said, at the time, it made absolute sense to use his presence to market the event. But now the circumstances have changed, and I think that people should be offered some sort of choice because of that.

Yes his name was linked as A guest at a Torchwood convention.

Sorry, but there's absolutely no difference between his cancellation, and any other guest cancelling elsewhere.

If they did it for John, you'd get fans from the Twilight Proms complaining that they couldn't get refunds on that because guests cancelled there.

What if Lara cancels this event and someone claims they bought a ticket just because she was going? They should then be entitled to it because John fans were given that chance.

I don't think being a John fan makes anyone entitled to different treatment, sorry.

No, in all fairness John's name was linked with Hub 3 right from the outset. And as I said, at the time, it made absolute sense to use his presence to market the event. But now the circumstances have changed, and I think that people should be offered some sort of choice because of that. It's normally referred to as a goodwill gesture.

If it had been advertised as a John Barrowman event/John Barrowman and guests, I would agree but in this case he was one guest (albeit a big name guest) at a Torchwood convention. It is still a Torchwood event with 11 Torchwood guests. There is never any guarantee of a specific guest in a generic series related convention, that's standard practice as I understand it as people get work. What are ME/Showmasters supposed to do? Announce the con, say we've got guests but we are not telling you who until on the day cos they might get work and pull out and we don't want you to feel we have cheated you by marketing the guests we have got at the time we have got them in case they pull out?

John is not doing La Cage on 20th November, because he's doing Children In Need. People who had already bought tickets for the show when that was announced were contacted, told, and offered a refund or an alternative date. Obviously in this case the latter is not possible, but I do think that some sort of goodwill gesture is in order.

Jason said they're working on more guests, so while they can't guarantee there'll be additions to the lineup, I'm sure they'll try their hardest to bring some. If not, there's still a substantial lineup.

Thanks for answering. Personally, I do hope they manage to get some more guests (especially Naoko or Burn) but yeah, if they don't there's still a great line-up. I'm sure they'll manage to get at least one replacement, fingers crossed. B)

I think it's been said previously that Burn is busy on this weekend so my vote is for Naoko!

Actually, he's not. He's taking a break and spending time with his family.

But you never know....

And I have to say something to the people all demanding they be refunded. I've worked for a major US convention for 6 years. Guests, when booked, always have a clause in their contract that states they can cancel because of work or an emergency. But when that happens, you don't get a refund of part of your convention ticket because they aren't attending. And this WAS NOT a John Barrowman convention, this is a TORCHWOOD convention. Yes, he was front and center of advertising, because at the time HE WAS slated to be there. He's had to cancel due to work commitments. That doesn't mean you get a refund. You should NEVER attend a convention (unless its an event slated to be SPECIFICALLY around one person) just because one guest is booked to come. There is always a chance they will cancel.

Edited by dr_is_in

What are ME/Showmasters supposed to do? Announce the con, say we've got guests but we are not telling you who until on the day cos they might get work and pull out and we don't want you to feel we have cheated you by marketing the guests we have got at the time we have got them in case they pull out?

Basically what they did with Hallowhedon.

And I'm not agreeing that people should get money back so don't flame me for that.

I personally think, if you brought the ticket/s soley on JB attending then more fool you! Some of the fans should understand that guests cancels.

Be happy with who we have, with or without JB it's gonna be fun!

Also at the end of the day it's what you make it

Edited by DarknessHayz

John is not doing La Cage on 20th November, because he's doing Children In Need. People who had already bought tickets for the show when that was announced were contacted, told, and offered a refund or an alternative date. Obviously in this case the latter is not possible, but I do think that some sort of goodwill gesture is in order.

The only parallel might be a low virtual ticket of some sort for his London signing, but that wouldn't work at they wont be set up until the day.

I suppose ME could arrange for presigned photos in the Gold welcome packs, after all they know exactly where John will be.

Edited by TerraHawk

I do think that some sort of goodwill gesture is in order.

They're going to try and get us some more guests (hopefully big name ones like Naoko Mori etc), surely that's a goodwill gesture? They couldn't have helped it and when they advertised the event, John hadn't taken on the role of Albin/Zazza in La Cage Aux Folles. Showmasters or Massive Events aren't to blame but as the expenses in booking guests for this event will now have gone down quite a lot, I do hope we can get another great, big guest or a few guests who have had quite big parts. You know who would make up for John's cancellation, FREEMA AGYEMAN! Please? B)

Edited by Doctor Who

That's because the show has been advertised as John Barrowman in La Cage aux Folles rather than the usual La Cage aux Folles starring....type of advertising - so you are paying to see a named artiste who will not be playing on 20 Nov. It's different...

They're going to try and get us some more guests (hopefully big name ones like Naoko Mori etc), surely that's a goodwill gesture?:

You'd need a few to fill John's shoes, but then he must of had a pretty decent fee which could be spread around. Ironically had he cancelled 3 months ago before all the COE guests were announced they might have seemed like a good compensation deal. But we already have them B)

• Moderators

Obviously in this case the latter is not possible, but I do think that some sort of goodwill gesture is in order.

OK let me try to put this a different way then:

Should anyone who books a Massive Events convention ticket after only one guest announcement be offered a refund if the initial guest has to cancel? As if it happens here, that's exactly what any purchaser will expect from now on.

What if people booked tickets for Hub 3 after John's announcement but NOT just for him? What if they've now decided that they just don't like the look of the rest of the lineup?

There's no way of proving anyone booked JUST for John Barrowman.

The best goodwill gesture Massive Events can do is try to get some good replacement guests, and I think that's perfectly acceptable.

The best goodwill gesture Massive Events can do is try to get some good replacement guests, and I think that's perfectly acceptable.

Very well said, as gutted as I am, I will not blame it on Massive Events or Showmasters. They couldn't have possibly predicted this and they will try to make up for it. It's not John's fault either really, he's a very busy man and will need his rest. When he agreed to come, he wasn't to know that the offer for La Cage Aux Folles would come up. It's just unfortunate. :WAVE:

Edited by Doctor Who