Boosh Cosplay Group next year?

touchthesky

Damn right. In all honesty, the moon and Old Gregg are the only Boosh bits I like. The rest I can take or leave. Best TV comedy ever? Frasier - no contest.

I disagree on that.

I love Frasier and would consider it in my top five sitcoms. But - and this is where people have argued - comedy is so subjective that in my mind comedy is defined by the ratings and longevity which outnumbers even awards and critical acclaim.

People like to bitch, but Friends... that's still one of the kings.

Edited by ComwWhite

Damn right. In all honesty, the moon and Old Gregg are the only Boosh bits I like. The rest I can take or leave. Best TV comedy ever? Frasier - no contest.

I disagree on that.

I love Frasier and would consider it in my top five sitcoms. But - and this is where people have argued - comedy is so subjective that in my mind comedy is defined by the ratings and longevity which outnumbers even awards and critical acclaim.

People like to bitch, but Friends... that's still one of the kings.

Friends? I do not have the words to express how much I detest the dumbed down, lowest common denominator, catchphrase spouting hell spawn that was Friends. Here's every episode of friends ever:

Establishing shot of Central Perk (in case we're too freakin' dumb to work out where we are from the interior shot - something Frasier never did, incidentally). A guitar on the soundtrack goes BLAM-bla-blaaaaam. The Friends people sans Joey sit around drinking coffee and looking impossibly beautiful. Joey enters.

JOEY: How you doin'?

Raptourous applause as if he just announced he has discovered the cure for cancer. Rachel combs her incredibly perfect hair and then leaves to, ya know, actually do some work at the place where she works.

ROSS: Sigh. I love her. No I don't. Yes I do. No I don't. Yes I do. Palentology. I love Rachel. No I don't.

CHANDLER: Could this show BE any more predicable?

MONICA: I KNOW!

Pheobe sings something "kooky" in a mid to late 90s, not really very kooky at all sort of way. Joey says something thunderously stupid, and somehow the rest of the group resist the urge to fall on him and kick his stupid dundering idiot head it. SUDDENLY, Janice enters, making only her 90th suprise apprence this season.

JANICE: Oh. My. God.

Rapturous applause as if she had just said the most profound thing since "I have a dream." Cut to horrific 90s soft rock theme tune with the cast cavorting in a fountain and the audience laugh thinking about Courtney Cox dancing with the Boss and being in the He Man movie. Listen carefully to the breaks in the song to hear the cast's post Freinds career dying faster than Han Solo doing the Kessel Run.

Ugh.

I love my surreal comedies.

Hey Ann - check out a show called "High Spirits with Shirley Ghostman" if you like surreal comedy. Funny stuff.

Edited by MartyMichaels

I'll be honest, when I first saw the Boosh, I HATED it.

A mate at the BBC sent me an advance copy of the Mr Susan episode, and I thought it was the biggest load of "Let's be WACKY AND ZANY for the STUDENTS!" B.S. I'd ever seen.

Then I watched it from the beginning, and came to love it.

Specially the live DVD - Although I was a touch disappointed with the last live tour.

Something lacking, there...

Friends? I do not have the words to express how much I detest the dumbed down, lowest common denominator, catchphrase spouting hell spawn that was Friends.

But it reaches far more people and popularity is quite undeniable. It's not a favourite show personally, but being subjective I can see why it is so popular.

I'll be honest, when I first saw the Boosh, I HATED it.

I was the same, still not a fan of earlier series, but theres a few eps in the last series I enjoyed. Far from my favorite comedy, but I got into it a little more after that.

Though when I began to like it just that little bit, the Live DVD killed it for me. I just couldn't find it funny in the slightest.

"Let's be WACKY AND ZANY for the STUDENTS!" B.S.

Ding ding ding! That's EXACTLY what I think of 99% of the show. I couldn't put it into words, but that's nailed it perfectly.

But it reaches far more people and popularity is quite undeniable. It's not a favourite show personally, but being subjective I can see why it is so popular.

Yeah, but people are idiots. Hulk Hogan was the most popular wrestler ever but he didn't know a wristlock from a wristwatch. If I put on my subjective hat, I can see why it was popular, but that doesn't mean it was good. If that logic applies then the Crazy Frog is a musical genius and Titanic was, like, the bestest film ever, innit?

Yeah, but people are idiots. Hulk Hogan was the most popular wrestler ever but he didn't know a wristlock from a wristwatch. If I put on my subjective hat, I can see why it was popular, but that doesn't mean it was good. If that logic applies then the Crazy Frog is a musical genius and Titanic was, like, the bestest film ever, innit?

Hogan was one of the people in my head when I was thinking of that, oddly. And the Rock for a modern twist.

Crazy Frog and Titanic don't count (to me) as they didn't last the test of time. Crazy Frog became an annoying fad in a minority group (neds) then disappeared and Titanic opinion changed over time. And thank spam for that. Both of that.

I was actually shocked recently that Friends was still selling in the UK. Especially as you could just see the whole thing all year round on e4: The Friends channel.

I'm thinking of all the s*** sitcoms I've seen recently... they all seem to tie into BBC Three. But I know that channel will commission anything, they even listened to ideas from George McInally.

Edited by ComwWhite

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace= Brilliant!

"I felt muscular and compact, like corned beef"

The bit in that show that I cannot help but laugh at regardless is the bit where Dr Sanchez runs off down a corridor, only to turn around and run the other way, while calmly announcing "filing cabinet"

:blush::blush::angry:

Am I the only one that doesn't like it?

Nope, it's the second most over rated rubbish after Little Britain.

It's shows like that that make me glad i have Sky, at least then you get some good stuff to watch amongst the crap.... most of the time.

I now officially like you too :YAHOO:

Claymore, you must have a different, better sky than me. Mines is all repeats, crud and reality shows. Especially ones featuring ineffective coppers and hyperactive commentary! I have to wade through channel after channel of friends and 2 1/2 men before I find the golden nugget of Futurama!

Ill stick to the intarwebz and my DVD collection.

*Now in the mood for Darkplace; goes to watch*

Claymore, you must have a different, better sky than me. Mines is all repeats, crud and reality shows. Especially ones featuring ineffective coppers and hyperactive commentary! I have to wade through channel after channel of friends and 2 1/2 men before I find the golden nugget of Futurama!

Ill stick to the intarwebz and my DVD collection.

*Now in the mood for Darkplace; goes to watch*

Ah I just noticed what I typed, I had two ways of typing that in my head at the time and seem to have melded them into one reply. Change that last bit to 'some of the time' and it's more accurate.

On a related note I just found a Little Britain DVD that I got for xmas years ago at the bottom of a drawer still in it's clear plastic wrapper. Not gonna be me that opens it thats for sure.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...