New To Autographica

clavius781

Hi. Complete newbie & never been to an Autographica event before so some questions please.

Will guests be there for the whole event?

Can you bring your own items (photo's or other items to sign and if so is this the same fee?

Are images available on the day and is this an extra cost?

What's the advantage of an "Early Bird" ticket? If you don't have one is there a chance you'll miss out on a signature?

Thanks in advance.

If you check the guest days and prices thread in the pinned section above you can see who is there, what days and the price they will be charging. Worth keeping an eye on that one as things do change and as more guests get announced their days and fees will be added

There's usually no problem about bringing your own items to be signed, the only thing is in some cases astronauts have been known to charge higher fees for things like models, artefacts etc. The only other thing is for some of the female guests who may have done more 'exotic' photoshoots in their career, they may not be so keen to sign those sorts of pictures! Otherwise I've never known there to be a problem.

All the guests will have pictures to sign and this is included in the cost of the autograph. Top tip though is if you want a very specific photo to be signed it can be safer to bring your own, that way you are sure to come away with exactly what you want.

Personally I always go for early bird as it takes any hassle out of the day. That said I don't think I've ever heard of anyone coming to Autographica and not meeting the guests they wanted. This event doesn't tend to be as manic as a lot of signing shows. To be completely sure though I'd always get an early bird.

If you check the guest days and prices thread in the pinned section above you can see who is there, what days and the price they will be charging. Worth keeping an eye on that one as things do change and as more guests get announced their days and fees will be added

There's usually no problem about bringing your own items to be signed, the only thing is in some cases astronauts have been known to charge higher fees for things like models, artefacts etc. The only other thing is for some of the female guests who may have done more 'exotic' photoshoots in their career, they may not be so keen to sign those sorts of pictures! Otherwise I've never known there to be a problem.

All the guests will have pictures to sign and this is included in the cost of the autograph. Top tip though is if you want a very specific photo to be signed it can be safer to bring your own, that way you are sure to come away with exactly what you want.

Personally I always go for early bird as it takes any hassle out of the day. That said I don't think I've ever heard of anyone coming to Autographica and not meeting the guests they wanted. This event doesn't tend to be as manic as a lot of signing shows. To be completely sure though I'd always get an early bird.

Thanks Count Fooku

Just on emore question please. What's the poloicy on photographs at the event i.e bringing & using you own camera?

It varies from guest to guest, on the whole most will pose for pictures but some will only agree to a picture while they are signing, i.e. they won't pose for a picture and some may say no photos at all. There will usually be signs up saying no photos or no posed photos. There's no real hard and fast rule, its pretty much down to the individual guest.

Sometimes, if you can, its a good idea to wait until the person you want to see doesn't have much of a queue. You generally find if they are not worried about getting through a long queue you'll generally get a better picture.

• Showmasters Admin

It varies from guest to guest, on the whole most will pose for pictures but some will only agree to a picture while they are signing, i.e. they won't pose for a picture and some may say no photos at all. There will usually be signs up saying no photos or no posed photos. There's no real hard and fast rule, its pretty much down to the individual guest.

Sometimes, if you can, its a good idea to wait until the person you want to see doesn't have much of a queue. You generally find if they are not worried about getting through a long queue you'll generally get a better picture.

Also on that note, you're not likely to get a photo if you DON'T buy an autograph. Most guests will say no if you just ask for a photo and don't buy an autograph.

Also on that note, you're not likely to get a photo if you DON'T buy an autograph. Most guests will say no if you just ask for a photo and don't buy an autograph.

Surely there wouldn't be people who would have the GALL to go ask for a photo without buying an autograph?! - But there again ......................!

• Showmasters Admin

Surely there wouldn't be people who would have the GALL to go ask for a photo without buying an autograph?! - But there again ......................!

We learn to expect anything. At a previous Autographica I had to ask someone to leave as he was going around to the guests and giving them envelopes. In those envelopes was a piece of card and a simple note. Please sign the card and send it to me in the addressed envelope it's enclosed in.

He was dumb enough to do it right in front of me but then when I confronted him, he had the GALL to tell me it wasn't him. I said that was fine but in that case I'd be sending the police to the address on the envelopes (a complete bluff that anyone with half a brain cell would have seen through). But he then confessed :thumbup:

• Showmasters Admin

Tearfully I trust!

Most people are when they're about to be removed by a 6'10" guy.

I went around and got the envelopes back from the guests he had got to. But one guest asked if he could keep it. He then proceeded to collect up all the rubbish on his table and put it in the envelope. Then wrote on a pice of paper "thanks for the bin", put that in the envelope, sealed it shut, and said "I'll post that on the way home!".

Of course none of the envelopes had stamps on. I can only assume he worked on the premise that if the guest replied he'd pay the fee. Well on this day he'd be paying the fee for an envelope of rubbish :coolthumb:

Been to a few shows where some of the guys seem to think it's a right to be able to do drive-by photos. Really pissed the girls involved right off. Of course also been in the situation where asked folks to pose for the shot and then had a ton of plebs jump in the way snapping away....

Wasn't at Autographica btw, or a UK show for that matter..

Will you be at this one Yahweh? It'd be interesting to see if the same thing happens to you again at another Autographica!

Oh wait -ignore me. My mistake.

Been to a few shows where some of the guys seem to think it's a right to be able to do drive-by photos. Really pissed the girls involved right off. Of course also been in the situation where asked folks to pose for the shot and then had a ton of plebs jump in the way snapping away....

So people have walked up to the table and snapped the guest then walked off? Or just a picture full stop as am then guilty of it as at the last autographica i took couple snaps of Borgnine,Rooney,Angus Lennie, Joan Colllins and Henry Cooper from other side the room

Edited by madmilburn

I think there's a difference between taking a snap from a discreet distance that the guest may not be aware of, after all you aren't putting them to any trouble by doing that, and actually walking up to a table, not buying anything and asking them to pose for a picture, especially if there are paying customers waiting.

It's a great shame everything to do with this hobby has come down to money.

Agree there

But greedy collectors who buy to sell are to blame too and have driven prices up....I saw a documentary on Mick Jagger where people were waiting at airports for him with GUITARS to sign...whatever happened to a good old fashioned autograph book!!!

Edited by Ted Crump

It's a great shame everything to do with this hobby has come down to money.

Agree there

But greedy collectors who buy to sell are to blame too and have driven prices up....I saw a documentary on Mick Jagger where people were waiting at airports for him with GUITARS to sign...whatever happened to a good old fashioned autograph book!!!

Sorry, I don't agree - or see the connection. Just because it's not a scrap of paper, it doesn't mean someone is in it for profit. At least 75 per cent of my collection is "non-paper".

Off the top of my head, I have nine signed guitars, three signed die-cast vehicles (Dukes of Hazzard, Knight Rider, Starsky and Hutch), an 18 inch Stay Puft signed by Ernie Hudson, various props and costumes (including a Rimmer jacket and a Kryten head from Red Dwarf both signed by the cast), posters for most of the major franchises signed by 20+ people on each, and I dread to think how many signed CDs, records and concert set lists I have.

Just because people put some imagination into their collection, it doesn't mean we are on the make. I too dislike the people that hang around stage doors and airports to get autographs they can sell. Especially since they make it harder for us to get autographs in these places, and make celebrities resort to cashing in on signing !!

Sorry, I don't agree - or see the connection. Just because it's not a scrap of paper, it doesn't mean someone is in it for profit. At least 75 per cent of my collection is "non-paper".

Off the top of my head, I have nine signed guitars, three signed die-cast vehicles (Dukes of Hazzard, Knight Rider, Starsky and Hutch), an 18 inch Stay Puft signed by Ernie Hudson, various props and costumes (including a Rimmer jacket and a Kryten head from Red Dwarf both signed by the cast), posters for most of the major franchises signed by 20+ people on each, and I dread to think how many signed CDs, records and concert set lists I have.

Just because people put some imagination into their collection, it doesn't mean we are on the make. I too dislike the people that hang around stage doors and airports to get autographs they can sell. Especially since they make it harder for us to get autographs in these places, and make celebrities resort to cashing in on signing !!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi as I say was referring to 'buy to sell' collectors - folk who have no interest in the autograph, or the person behind it, just about selling it on for megabucks. Just my humble opinion.

Edited by Ted Crump

No problem - I'm just expressing an opinion as well, it's cool. I just took it from your OP (I think reasonably) that you were getting at people who got guitars (etc) signed as invariably being profiteers, and that getting such stuff signed (for any purpose) was unreasonable. I make no apology for getting "unusual" stuff signed, and I have never once sold an item, for profit or otherwise - but thanks for clarifying :)

Edited by dufresne

• Showmasters Admin

I have seen worse believe me.

At one show in the states a guy arrived with an entire apollo engine on a trolley and had it signed by all the astronauts. The question is where the hell do you put it.

No funny comments please chris.

Dave

I have seen worse believe me.

At one show in the states a guy arrived with an entire apollo engine on a trolley and had it signed by all the astronauts. The question is where the hell do you put it.

No funny comments please chris.

Dave

I love to get my DVDs signed (or a movie poster). Whenever I have had 10 x 8's signed in the past, they tend to just end up in a folder, never to be looked at or enjoyed.

With signed DVD's, its great when you come to watch the film, take the DVD from the shelf and see that autograph. It instantly reminds you of the time you obtained the signature. Again, with the poster, it's something that looks amazing framed up on a wall, where you can enjoy and appreciate it.

As for the guy getting the engine signed - isn't that just a fantastic one-off piece of memorabillia to have autographed and in your living room!?

Its great that there are still real collectors out there, and we haven't been totally taken over by unscrupulous dealers!!