Showmasters: What is going on?

Lambourne

No i reallymeant why henry didnt attend lockdown? Was it beacause he was born in south america then when he was young he went to scotland and didnt like it , as it was too cold,. So he hasnt bothered coming back from america?

thanks brother

Edited by Scifimaniac

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Showmasters Admin

No i reallymeant why henry didnt attend lockdown? Was it beacause he was born in south america then when he was young he went to scotland and didnt like it , as it was too cold,. So he hasnt bothered coming back from america?

thanks brother

They all knew that :thumbup:

I'd like to see Duke attempting it if he's so confident. Oh! Wait! He doesn't have "time"... oh, what a shame. It's be such a sucess and he'd make so much money, but, nope. :thumbup:

And btw... SugAr!! Not Suger! Seriously, not a difficult name- you seem to think so highly of him, you could at least learn his name correctly. And I think he could respect that this is a TOTALLY different business niche, and a totally different way to run it. My dad is a "regular" businessman with his own company, and I won't begin to say how wrong it would be for him to try and organise his own show, no matter how good his business skills are!

Lizzy, there is no need to be sarcastic like that, like everyone else on this forum I was just expressing my opinion.

And just for the record….I am not a fan of Alan SugAr. I was just joking that he would probably have something funny to say about how this has worked out.

I think its fair to say there is also no need to comment on typos such as my miss spelling of Sugar. I think we all know that there are some awful grammar and spelling errors on here and its just part of the ‘game’ although I was tempted to comment at the recent ‘serves’ rather than ‘service’ blunder, I decided against it, as there really is no need and just shows up the person making the correction.

Reading through the comments on here it is clear that everyone is speculating about how to run an event like this, myself included. That said I stick by my opinion that a Lost event would be a massive success.

To the person who commented on 1st class flight costs – Yes they are expensive, but if you do your research, negotiate, set up deals – Invest time, you can get some very good rates on flights which are certainly no where near the figures you are quoting.

Its all down to Showmasters at the end of the day. The fact is that there are rival promoters out there putting on upcoming cons with very big names coming over from the States, and they are making a profit, so it is possible. But these guys are working on it 24/7 (before anyone analyses that comment it’s a figure of speech!!!!) – to keep their costs down, find the deals and get the big names. I don’t know if Showmasters are doing the same and they are just unlucky, but this event should not of failed really.

I am not claiming to be an expert in running a con like this, maybe if I devoted all my time to it I could make something like this work, but unfortunately I have job and a mortgage and many other responsibilities.

thanks brother

oh lol:)

I'd like to see Duke attempting it if he's so confident. Oh! Wait! He doesn't have "time"... oh, what a shame. It's be such a sucess and he'd make so much money, but, nope. :(

And btw... SugAr!! Not Suger! Seriously, not a difficult name- you seem to think so highly of him, you could at least learn his name correctly. And I think he could respect that this is a TOTALLY different business niche, and a totally different way to run it. My dad is a "regular" businessman with his own company, and I won't begin to say how wrong it would be for him to try and organise his own show, no matter how good his business skills are!

I think its fair to say there is also no need to comment on typos such as my miss spelling of Sugar. I think we all know that there are some awful grammar and spelling errors on here and its just part of the ‘game’ although I was tempted to comment at the recent ‘serves’ rather than ‘service’ blunder, I decided against it, as there really is no need and just shows up the person making the correction.

Quite. Criticise some peoples misspellings and yet defend others when their misspellings are pointed out by others... :(

To the person who commented on 1st class flight costs – Yes they are expensive, but if you do your research, negotiate, set up deals – Invest time, you can get some very good rates on flights which are certainly no where near the figures you are quoting.

Wouldn't that only be the case where you're able to book the flights well in advance, though? If you can't get guests well ahead of time, which seemed to be one of the problems with this con., your options for lower rates are probably limited...

Its all down to Showmasters at the end of the day. The fact is that there are rival promoters out there putting on upcoming cons with very big names coming over from the States, and they are making a profit, so it is possible. But these guys are working on it 24/7 (before anyone analyses that comment it’s a figure of speech!!!!) – to keep their costs down, find the deals and get the big names. I don’t know if Showmasters are doing the same and they are just unlucky, but this event should not of failed really.

There are very few (if any) weekend conventions (as opposed to signing events) in the UK with bigger guests than SM/ME. I know of one recently which had the two main leads as guests, but in fairness, their show is not on any of the major networks and as any actor/actress will tell you, the fees involved increase hugely between a 'minor' network and one of the majors. A second UK event had two of the three main lead actors, but again, their show is not nearly as popular as Lost and it's popularity that drives the fees. (for the record, that event didn't sell out, although it was a very good event).