Showmasters: What is going on?

Lambourne

But America is a whole different ball game so to speak. Most of the guests are based in America, and so the financial implications of having them attend an event differ HUGELY compared to having to fly them over here to the UK.

It's just not comparable financially. Yes, you can compare it on paper and say 'sure, they run this and this better' but if you sat down and balanced the books on what it'd take to emulate the same thing OVER HERE, it's never going to work out on the same scale.

It would work all you need is sponsors and to take a risk, it seems Showmasters does not like risk taking and if thats true then they get no where. Other the years I have heard they wont run things because people wont turn up then why not add everything together and people will and will make a great turn out for Showmasters as they will get noticed better by Studios, magazines and directors that will bring the cast other to promote. They do it for god sake just for one weekend any way to promote there films at xxxxxxxxxx and other shops even and it seems showmasters is lacking what these events are not. Trust me it hurts me to say that about showmasters because they are great and in the past they have provided me and others good times with great guests but now they are expaning to much into other things so just stick with one its safer.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless they're selling imaginary tickets they've sold about 90 for Abrams.

Whereas something like Hallowhedon has sold about 410!

What can SM do? Book another 2 guests from fringe/alias and hope they'll sell another 200 tickets just to keep the losses on an even keel?

i can conform that we did only sell 67 tickets some were given away as part of a promotion but no money was reseved for them so we did only sell 67 tickets

jason :(

Well that's even more of an eye opener you only sold this amount then. I just wish things could have been communicated earlier then some who booked travel later might not have lost money. If I knew 3 weeks ago only that was sold I would have just waited, and spent the money I've lost probably on LFCC autographs!

Edited by CelticRob

Based on your argument there should NEVER be any guest at a show specific weekend con unless they are also at a signing event as well.

That might be a solution to get a few more pennies in - Allow punters in just for autographs, giving the full convention goers priority of course. I never went to the Terry Nation tribute (a brave idea to expand the audience) but when it was tied to autographica it became more appealing. Had there not been too many other events then I might have gone for the Dr Who people.

But I'd feel a phoney going to an event for 1 person, barely knowing who some of the others were. Yet if I had free autographs in my ticket price I'd still get them - paid for after all. I'd then sell on eBay.

What's not common sense are your posts "michaels killer"... I'm sorry, but I just can't understand what you're trying to say in any of them! :(

Look you buy a ticket to see one person that will cost you the earth its not worth it. You could easily get more autographs at one show of the same guest you want to see and still experiance the parties and talks still. This is really about common sense would you really wast all that money for one guest at one show. Showmasters can make so much more by linking shows together like the Americans do and still provide all the other great services at the end of the day its a business and all companies should make great profit and by this way of having a large con they would. Also this could help fans that want to meet their favourite guests like the dude from twilight and other big and rare guests.This means showmasters will have more money to spend for these guests instead of paying other expenses every month, and improve the sponsors to make the shows name bigger and better.

It would work all you need is sponsors and to take a risk, it seems Showmasters does not like risk taking and if thats true then they get no where. Other the years I have heard they wont run things because people wont turn up then why not add everything together and people will and will make a great turn out for Showmasters as they will get noticed better by Studios, magazines and directors that will bring the cast other to promote. They do it for god sake just for one weekend any way to promote there films at xxxxxxxxxx and other shops even and it seems showmasters is lacking what these events are not. Trust me it hurts me to say that about showmasters because they are great and in the past they have provided me and others good times with great guests but now they are expaning to much into other things so just stick with one its safer.

Except US studios aren't interested in advertising stuff in the Uk in that way. From speaking to Jason, I know they've tried to encourage them. Part of the issue is distribution rights, one studio may make a film/show, but then not distribute it in Europe, so it's not in their interest to promote stuff here. Also, the cost of shipping promotional materials alone makes it prohibitive for them, where as certain US shows are on their doorstep.

Look all im saying is Showmasters should really look at the structure of cons instead of rushing into things, have a major big con all in one once a year touring with diffrent guests so this gives advantages to people who cannot get to London. So therefore scrap all these one off shows from diffrent films and tv shows and keep the LFCC as you name with all the guests from the seperate shows and more guests from movies, from diffrent genres and gain more promotion, profit and bigger guests. Easy as 123. Keep it real keep it simple.

Make them interested there is always a way of getting them other here trust me i have spoken to some studios to and they have always said they love to come here and sponsor there films with guests but nothing happens and its not due to expense because they can make that back. They arent the poorest lot really.

What's not common sense are your posts "michaels killer"... I'm sorry, but I just can't understand what you're trying to say in any of them! :blink:

Look you buy a ticket to see one person that will cost you the earth its not worth it. You could easily get more autographs at one show of the same guest you want to see and still experiance the parties and talks still. This is really about common sense would you really wast all that money for one guest at one show. Showmasters can make so much more by linking shows together like the Americans do and still provide all the other great services at the end of the day its a business and all companies should make great profit and by this way of having a large con they would. Also this could help fans that want to meet their favourite guests like the dude from twilight and other big and rare guests.This means showmasters will have more money to spend for these guests instead of paying other expenses every month, and improve the sponsors to make the shows name bigger and better.

yes, but a LOT of fans, like to do more than just spend a few seconds with someone getting an autograph. At LFaCC, Michael would probably cost £25 for an autograph, which might take you 5 seconds to get. On an hourly rate, that means you are paying £18,000 an hour! Now, if you go to a weekend convention where Micahel is a guest, you might pay £100, but you get to spend a couple of hours in talks listening to the guest and getting to ask questions of them, as WELL as getting your autograph. This works out as significantly better value for money (roughly £50 per hour), better, if there is more than one guest that you are interested in, attending the event.

Other organisers have tried linking shows. It doesn't really work as some fans might be keen on one show and not on the other and decide it's not value for money for them.

• Moderators

You speak like you think the organisers haven't thought of these things?

It's like when there's a convention for a specific show, and someone comes on and says "you know what would make this a success? GET THE MAIN CAST MEMBER!" .. because you know, I bet that idea never came to them.

If you believe there's a market to do your idea MICHAELS KILLER then I say give it a go! If you've spoken to studios and they want to do it, then run with your idea, and have them come along. I'll be interested to see the results. Good luck :blink:

Look all im saying is Showmasters should really look at the structure of cons instead of rushing into things, have a major big con all in one once a year touring with diffrent guests so this gives advantages to people who cannot get to London. So therefore scrap all these one off shows from diffrent films and tv shows and keep the LFCC as you name with all the guests from the seperate shows and more guests from movies, from diffrent genres and gain more promotion, profit and bigger guests. Easy as 123. Keep it real keep it simple.

That doesn't make ANY sense... they ARE still running CM:MK and LFaCC with a variety of guests. There's no reason why they can't run dedictaed weekend conventions as well.

it seems Showmasters does not like risk taking...but now they are expaning to much into other things so just stick with one its safer.

On one hand you say they should take more risks then you say they should stick to one thing because its safer!

Yes by taking a risk it can benefit them or go pear shape but buy having a big con even if it was without all the studios they still benefit and save cash to bring more guests, let me ask you something there must be a certain rare guest you want to meet and by saving money showmasters can get this guest unless they are busy with work or say no. This would make alot of fans happy and spend more cash.

Make them interested there is always a way of getting them other here trust me i have spoken to some studios to and they have always said they love to come here and sponsor there films with guests but nothing happens and its not due to expense because they can make that back. They arent the poorest lot really.

I seriously think that Showmasters have more studio contacts than you.... A PR person may tell you that they'd love to come and promote, but it's not financially viable.

That doesn't make ANY sense... they ARE still running CM:MK and LFaCC with a variety of guests. There's no reason why they can't run dedictaed weekend conventions as well.

Yeah but if you think it would save alot of money for showmasters and the fans that would have a problem spending that amount of cash to meet these guests that showmasters only get for a certain show. By having one con with all props, talks, parties and signings would benefit all.

Indeed they may do but they still do nothing.

Look chris_mk, you may have gone to a number of shows in tha past or maybe a new comer but i have been going all the time and the shows before where great and now they just seem to get a bit stupid with their expanding into certain things while they could just make as much profit with all the guests at one this would benefit fans and the company.

I leave it at that now. But thats my view.

I certainly won't be buying a ticket in advance for this type of event again. I genuinely want to support cons such as these, but the plain fact is I can't afford to risk my money like that. I just don't have enough spare to be able to chance £80 or so.

But you aren't ever risking the ticket money itself. Showmasters have NEVER failed to refund any tickets, unlike other events in the past which have folded, owing lots of money to potential attendees.

Yes, I realise there are some people who have sadly lost out on the money they've spent on travel and/or non-event hotels. I really feel sorry for them and I hope that Showmasters can come up with some way of repaying them for their support, even if they aren't able to refund these costs.

The £80 is the amount I've lost on this con. through travel and hotel fees. It goes hand in hand with the ticket cost, because I wouldn't buy a ticket without making good and sure I can get to the event and have somewhere to stay...I'd worry that if I waited until too close to the event to book hotels/trains etc, they might be booked up. Or at least, the rates would be higher.

You speak like you think the organisers haven't thought of these things?

It's like when there's a convention for a specific show, and someone comes on and says "you know what would make this a success? GET THE MAIN CAST MEMBER!" .. because you know, I bet that idea never came to them.

If you believe there's a market to do your idea MICHAELS KILLER then I say give it a go! If you've spoken to studios and they want to do it, then run with your idea, and have them come along. I'll be interested to see the results. Good luck :blink:

I do belive they have thought this through David, but they seem to be expanding into shows for many other fans but not others if it was equal then it be fine but its not. Plus i love to do my own show but I dont have sufficent start up costs to do one plus I like Showmasters i just want them to do something for all there fans with great guests. I cant wait to see some guests at the LFCC this year i go every year to meet some one and have a great time i just wish they could bring more guests what others might like to see then just one certain group that craves certain guests.

I certainly won't be buying a ticket in advance for this type of event again. I genuinely want to support cons such as these, but the plain fact is I can't afford to risk my money like that. I just don't have enough spare to be able to chance £80 or so.

But you aren't ever risking the ticket money itself. Showmasters have NEVER failed to refund any tickets, unlike other events in the past which have folded, owing lots of money to potential attendees.

Yes, I realise there are some people who have sadly lost out on the money they've spent on travel and/or non-event hotels. I really feel sorry for them and I hope that Showmasters can come up with some way of repaying them for their support, even if they aren't able to refund these costs.

The £80 is the amount I've lost on this con. through travel and hotel fees. It goes hand in hand with the ticket cost, because I wouldn't buy a ticket without making good and sure I can get to the event and have somewhere to stay...I'd worry that if I waited until too close to the event to book hotels/trains etc, they might be booked up. Or at least, the rates would be higher.

You wont have to worrie about that because this idea of having one big con has been thought up but wasent a wise idea, really. So you still have your seperate shows to go to and spend loads of cash at them and still give showmasters a great profit for years to come.

Edited by MICHEALS KILLER

What's not common sense are your posts "michaels killer"... I'm sorry, but I just can't understand what you're trying to say in any of them! :P

No, I simply meant I can't read it. Some of your posts literally don't make sense to me in that you're ranting and not using any grammar, and it is hard for me to understand... :blink:

What's not common sense are your posts "michaels killer"... I'm sorry, but I just can't understand what you're trying to say in any of them! :P

No, I simply meant I can't read it. Some of your posts literally don't make sense to me in that you're ranting and not using any grammar, and it is hard for me to understand... :blink:

I write to fast im like Don Vito Yo!!!, any ways dosent matter anymore i love Showmasters and always have could say im a wind up merchant. Soz guys except my apologies, keep doing great with more expanding.

Love you Lizzy alaways!!!!!!!!!!

There was me thinking it was just me having that issue. Michael as for events for a mixture of shows that is what Collectormania, Autographica and London Film and Comic Con are for.

Love you to Mike how is the poster keeping, and how are you?. Are you looking forward to the LFCC?.

Hay Mike if you got any one interested, i have alot of band stuff lately like a signed Velvet Revolver poster by the band except Scott Weiland, Marilyn Manson poster signed cd inserts and 8x10 photo and a fully signed HIM poster plus plenty more band signed stuff like Motorhead and others.

But one a serious note, i would like to see some changes soon for other fans that like the great guests that attend other cons, for them to attend cons where people who cant afford shows that charge to much cash for an entry fee. If this is the future for showmasters to keep on expanding into things i like them to do a show that other fans might like to attend. Instead of just Twilight con or Lost con.