Possible Collectormania Manchester Venues

As I'm sure most of you are aware, Collectormania Manchester 5 won't be taking place this year but there are still plans to run it at some point in the future. Showmasters recently revealed that they are currently looking for a new venue, instead of GMEX, that is 2000 to 3000 sm in one place or several rooms. I have made this thread in order to try and help Showmasters by suggesting possible venues. Here's my first suggestion for a venue;

The Museum of Science and Industry

Several possible rooms to hire for convention, signing and stall space.

Rooms with up to 2,000sm and one room, the biggest, has got 2,960 sm.

Positive aspects: Easily accesible, exhibiton visitors may pass by and decide to meet some of the guests and a Doctor Who convention took place there recently so many sci-fi fans will already be aware of the location.

More information: Click here for more details regarding the venue.

There are also many other possible venues which are worth checking out and you can find details about them here. Has anyone else got any suggestions in Manchester where they think this particular convention/signing event could take place?

Edited by Doctor Who

Here's another possible venue suggestion. I'm not sure which of the rooms the previous Collectormania Manchesters took place at but according to various websites, there are a few different rooms to hire of all different sizes. Showmasters recently said that they need a venue with 2,000 to 3,000 sm and this venue a variety of sized rooms. Here's some details;

Manchester Central Convention Complex

Several possible rooms to hire for convention, signing and stall space.

Rooms with up to 3,000sm and one room, the biggest, has got 10,350 sm.

Positive aspects: Easily accesible, the Metro Link can drop you off right by the centre, previous events have taken place there and there are a variety of room sizes so there is a quite varied choice of which room to hire.

More information: Click here for more details regarding the venue.

This is just another suggestion and I understand, there may be some negative factors to hiring either of these venues too. Has anyone else got any suggestions in Manchester where they think this convention could take place? What do you think of the two venues that have currently been suggested? Would you be able to attend the convention if it took place there?

Edited by Doctor Who

Manchester Academy 1

Venue at the University of Manchester, lots of bus and rail links. Nowhere near as massive as Gmex, but listed as capacity of 2000 people and would do well for a smaller convention perhaps.

www.manchesteracademy.net

City of Manchester Stadium

Not sure of the details for this one but its worth a look, apparently the conference suites there are large enough.

Old Trafford Cricket Ground (Lancashire County Cricket Club)

Has a 1500 person capacity suite that would work well for a smaller convention.

Edited by darthnad

I agree, the City Of Manchester Stadium would be a great place to hold the event.... Manchester Evening News Arena??? I dunno, just a thought..... Manchester Velodrome??? has a fair sized center court, has held conventions of other kinds there but maybe not up to the size SM is lookin for, I don't know how square meters of space any of these have, I'm just thinkin of biggish venues I know of...

I agree, the City Of Manchester Stadium would be a great place to hold the event.... Manchester Evening News Arena??? I dunno, just a thought..... Manchester Velodrome??? has a fair sized center court, has held conventions of other kinds there but maybe not up to the size SM is lookin for, I don't know how square meters of space any of these have, I'm just thinkin of biggish venues I know of...

I think that the perfect venue would be THE BRIDGEWATER HALL.

See the link below:

http://www.bridgewater-hall.co.uk/content/...troduction.aspx

I have had a look and their borchure looks great. They have lots of versatile space there to hire and the map says that it is in the centre of Manchester next to hotels, metrolink, deansgate rail station and a big car park.

This looks like the best one to me!!!

Move the event to Leeds, as you'll draw bigger crowds. I recommend you host it at Saviles Hall, which is bang opposite the Royal Armouries museum (http://www.raievents.co.uk/). I went to Thought Bubble (http://www.thoughtbubblefestival.com/) there last year and it was packed, with coaches visiting from all over England. I went to the last Manchester Collectormania and it was nowhere near as busy.

Manchester is pretty much sat on it's own geographically but Leeds is surrounded by other cities such as Wakefield, Huddersfield, Bradford, York, etc, all of which have large deposits of potential visitors (especially as they all have universities) who can access Leeds easily. Anyway, that's my brief pitch for Leeds but I think the show would have far more success potential there than Manchester.

Hmm, that's another good suggestion but maybe that would be better for a different convention rather than moving the Manchester one to Leeds? Leeds isn't really in the North West so it would really be quite gutting to all of the fans in the North West who have waited for one and then to find out that it's moved somewhere away from Manchester that they can't attend because that would be more or less like a replacement event. Personally, I hope it stays in Manchester as I do feel it has potential to sell out and do well. As far as I'm aware, there is only other one convention in Manchester and that's a very small Doctor Who signing event which draws in 200 people each time (that's the limit for the venue) but other than that, there aren't any other conventions. Manchester is a massive city and I'm sure with the right venue, guests and promotion, the event would do more than well. Leeds is a good idea though and these are just my personal thoughts and opinions. :(

P.S: Haha, I'd love for it to take place in my house too Willow99. ;)

Edited by Doctor Who

Leeds isn't in the North West? :P *is flustered* Did it move or is my geography really bad? It could be my geography cos it's my weakest subject. I was 15 before I realised Torquay was in England, not Greece. Not as bad as my cousin who was 18 and thought it was in Africa.

Still, if Leeds isn't in the North West, where is it?

Haha, I'll be honest, I wasn't too sure where Leeds was either but I knew that it was somewhere in the North so looked it up and then made my comment on here. I'm not too good at knowing where cities in the world are either lol. :YAHOO: :YAHOO:

Edited by Doctor Who

LOL, gotta say in my defence, despite having really bad geographical knowledge (Geography just doesn't stay in my head somehow) I've always been taught that where I live is the North West and I'm not very far from Leeds, which is why I was puzzled. I'm going to plump for believing it is in the North West though, otherwise huge confusion may ensue leading to an inabilty to find my way to work. Oh, wait...

^_^:D:dance:

Sportscity (City of Manchester Stadium) is a bit out of the way for those not used to the Mertolink or Bus routes, plus its far too big! The New Century Hall would be perfect. It's the right size and in a good central location, as its right near Victoria station and the MEN Arena. http://www.newcenturyhouse.co.uk/main.htm

Ooh, I do like that one. It's certainly got the space (13,000 square feet) and the 'exhibition' section looks like a perfect place to host Collectormania Manchester. It's also got great accessibilty which is always important. :thumbup:

Edited by Doctor Who

What about somewhere in the Manchester Airport complex? One of the hotels round there could be a possibility - and run the event along the lines of CM Midlands. It's connected by train and (eventually) a metrolink will be built out there.

• 1 year later...