Is anyone still using a dial-up connection ?

piles

I do. I don't use the internet enough at home to justify paying for broad band at the moment. It's still a bit cheaper for me on dial up. It's a right pain though especially when it comes to the automatic software updates because they take forever.

I don't download anything from Itunes because it takes too long.

I do. I don't use the internet enough at home to justify paying for broad band at the moment. It's still a bit cheaper for me on dial up. It's a right pain though especially when it comes to the automatic software updates because they take forever.

I don't download anything from Itunes because it takes too long.

There are some cheap broadband packages available. I think Sky offer free broadband (with the option to pay more for more speed and download limit) if you have tv and phone with them, same with some other service providers (tv, mobiles, whatever).

I have been looking it to it a little but sometimes it seems like it will end up costing more than I currently pay as I've heard you still have to pay line rental to BT (With some packages) as well as your new phone charges and I'm not too bothered by the TV packages.

If I do go ahead with it I'll probably wonder how I lived without it but I'm ok with what I have at the moment.

I didn't realise that Dial Up was still provided as an option. I thought it died otu a few years back. Oh well, youlearn something new every day.. :rolleyes:

It may not be an option but perhaps if someone never upgraded their dial-up service would remain?

I find broadband slow enough at times, plus I used to hate waiting for it to actually dial.

Another question... Is anyone still using floppy disks?

Lol, I saw some being sold in my university shop today for something like 65p! Who uses them anymore? They can barely store anything on them, though they somehow did the job years ago.

I'm pleased to say that although I'm still on dial up have progressed from floppies!

Christoph is correct - new users won't be offered dial up but if you have it with a provider they will keep you on it and won't make you change.....yet. There probably will come a day though where they will withdraw it.

Ah good old reliable dial-up.

Yep still miss the inital 2 minute long ***screech, crackle, hiss ***, followed by failure to connect and then multiple re-dials...

As for floppies I still have some (DOS 6.22, Windows 3.1, X-Wing, Sim City) although I haven't had a floppy drive for a number of years now so no idea if they still work

I remember the old Acorn Electron - the junior version of a BBC Micro - and loading games from a tape, a 3.5 inch floppy disc machine half the size of the computer itself, and from slot in media formats...the good old days.

Jet Set Willy anyone?

My great auntie uses dial-up for the same reasons as others, cause she doesnt use it enough.

Apparently there are a lot of virases going around for dial-up at the mo, though my Great auntie hasn't been stung by one yet thankgod.

Dial up would be to slow for me, my computer is to slow as it is :o

:o

LLAP :o

Edited by zebredy

Dial up was exciting :YAHOO: I remember being about 11 years old and jumping in front of the computer, listening to the noise of the impending connection, and trying to guess when it would go off - and thus, when I would be able to BROWSE THE INTERNETS!

I remember the old Acorn Electron - the junior version of a BBC Micro - and loading games from a tape, a 3.5 inch floppy disc machine half the size of the computer itself, and from slot in media formats...the good old days.

Jet Set Willy anyone?

I still have a fully working Electron, complete with the Plus one and Plus 3 expansion units.

I still use floppy discs on my Commodore Amiga ( heavily modified ) which is on my home network....

and loading games from a tape

Reminds me of my old Amstrad computer :P

Amstrad CPC464?... I remember it well...and Emlyn Hughes Int Soccer :P

Amstrad_CPC464.jpg

Looks about right, is that the colour screen version? (i think there were 2 versions) My screen only had different shades of green I think, had some great games on it though :P My favourite was a flying game where you shot down other planes and bombed ships and flack cannons and stuff.

and loading games from a tape

Reminds me of my old Amstrad computer :P

Amstrad CPC464?... I remember it well...and Emlyn Hughes Int Soccer :wub:

Amstrad_CPC464.jpg

Looks about right, is that the colour screen version? (i think there were 2 versions) My screen only had different shades of green I think, had some great games on it though :P My favourite was a flying game where you shot down other planes and bombed ships and flack cannons and stuff.

Yep there were two screen types - colour and monochrome (green in reality!). Plus a 64k memory version with tape, and a 128k version (disk). Checks XP's task manager - the only process that would fit in there is 'System Idle' at 28k!

Only flying game I can recall was Afterburner. I was partial to Emlyn, Football Manager, Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge, the Dizzy range, Knightmare (the TV show) plus a few others.

Ah....memories

Yep there were two screen types - colour and monochrome (green in reality!). Plus a 64k memory version with tape, and a 128k version (disk). Checks XP's task manager - the only process that would fit in there is 'System Idle' at 28k!

Only flying game I can recall was Afterburner. I was partial to Emlyn, Football Manager, Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge, the Dizzy range, Knightmare (the TV show) plus a few others.

Ah....memories

LOL 64KB RAM, bit pathetic really, still was great, though I wasn't even born when it was made, can't actually remember how I came about to having that computer. I've found out that the game I was talking about is called Harrier Attack, one of the greatest games ever invented lol, found a youtube video of someone playing it :P

I think my Amstrad got thrown away :P I'll have to find out, might have to buy myself a 'new' one now lol (with a colour screen this time :P).

Oooh here's another couple of games I played:

Apologies for going off topic, umm dial-up... Was anyone ever with AOL? Oh how I hated that service, never liked to connect and when it did it often disconnected soon after, and their web browser was awful!

*Checks eBay for an Amstrad* :D

Edited by Christoff

Ah....memories

Dizzy!! That crazy little egg man. I remember playing those with my sister, making maps of the worlds so we could find all the items later......ahhhhh.....

Joust was good.