Gold Ticket Price

jvd737

Why are the gold tickets still £195 when there is no group shot...what are we getting in return? surely there should be something or the price should be less...I can't be the only one questioning this...especially as there are so many conventions out there these days...doesn't seem to be great business sense or is that just me?? :D

• Moderators

As far as I know, you get nothing else. Prices changed in the past to keep the majority of cons in line with each other price-wise, though there will always be exceptions.

I'd say if you don't feel the Gold is worth the price now, go for another ticket. There are people who seem to be willing to stick with the Gold ones though, so ME are happy with their prices.

Everyone is made aware of what is offered in the package, so you can all make a fully informed decision before purchasing.

• Moderators

I've personally never gone for Gold.

I did start with a standard for my first con, but then realised it was easier for me to get a Silver, and I've always been happy with the price of those.

It really does depend on what you want from your weekend. Some people really want the Cocktail party, and better seats for photography etc. I couldn't care less about that stuff. We're all different.

Why are the gold tickets still £195 when there is no group shot...what are we getting in return? surely there should be something or the price should be less...I can't be the only one questioning this...especially as there are so many conventions out there these days...doesn't seem to be great business sense or is that just me?? :poki:

I'm going tolazily recycle a post of mine from two and a half weeks ago on another sub-forum. Apologies to those who have read it before,but the figures pretty much remin the same. Chevron 7.2 was announced in early August last year. Which means that the costings for it were probably done in early August or in July, when the exchange rate was about 2US dollars to the pound. It's now less than 1.5 dollars to the pound. It's been under 1.55 for the last 3 months or more and hasn't been over 1.5 in the last 6 weeks. Currently it's under 1.45, and there's no expectation of it going significantly over 1.50 for any prolonged period in the near future.

So what, you may ask?

Well it means that any US dollar costs are now about 30-35% more expensive than originally budgeted for 7.2. US dollar costs are those such as the appearance fees for US actors; they will almost certainly specify an amount that they want paying in US dollars. That amount will now require 30-35% or so more pounds to pay. And international airline costs are based on a dollar price. If you wanted to book a return flight from LA to London, first class, in several weeks time (i.e. not silly last minute prices but in reasonable time), then you're looking at nearly $21,000. So, given the slump in the exchange rate, that first class air ticket is about four thousand quid more expensive than last summer.

OK, not all the convention costs are in dollars. Some, like hotels and food for guests and crew will be in pounds. (But even they too may well go up over the course of this year). But a significant proportion of the con costs will likely be hugely increased compared to the 7.2 budgeted costs. Depending on how you price/value the group shot, then the price of the gold staying the same but losing the group shot is effectively a 10-15% price increase, perhaps. I reckon that's more than fair, in the circumstances. And as DavidB implies, nobody is making you pay for a 7.3 gold; you're well within your rights to buy a cheaper ticket or none at all, if you wish.

i know that we're planning on buying gold passes again, based on nothing more than the fantastic times we've had at chevron 7 and 7.2 when we had them.

got gold for chevron 7 as it was my first convention and i kinda thought what the hell, it might be the only one i do...if only i knew!

it is quite a lot of money, but in my case, it just means i don't spend all my cash on lots of rubbish i don't need! (that's my excuse, and i'm sticking to it! :P)

I've personally never gone for Gold.

I did start with a standard for my first con, but then realised it was easier for me to get a Silver, and I've always been happy with the price of those.

It really does depend on what you want from your weekend. Some people really want the Cocktail party, and better seats for photography etc. I couldn't care less about that stuff. We're all different.

For me I'd like the cocktail party and the better seats, however I don't like my photo taken lol so it's really pointless me paying that much for a gold ticket so I just stick with Standard, maybe... bring out a Bronze :P

• Moderators

For me I'd like the cocktail party and the better seats, however I don't like my photo taken lol so it's really pointless me paying that much for a gold ticket so I just stick with Standard, maybe... bring out a Bronze :dance:

:P maybe there should be some kinda mix-n-match deal .. Build Your Own Ticket :D

Add 1 Party

No Photos

Front Row Seat

Extra Cushion

:blink:

For me I'd like the cocktail party and the better seats, however I don't like my photo taken lol so it's really pointless me paying that much for a gold ticket so I just stick with Standard, maybe... bring out a Bronze :P

:lol: maybe there should be some kinda mix-n-match deal .. Build Your Own Ticket :P

Add 1 Party

No Photos

Front Row Seat

Extra Cushion

:D

Yeeaaah! Perfect :chair:

for me i just got 2 get gold all the time its only once a year save sum money but i just dont go there for the con i treat it as a weekend away and do other stuff in between photo sessions etc, like go in to town @ nite and during day see wots going down (the party never stops)

Mr random

For me it does really depend on who the guests are. I think that Silver would be the extent i would pay for the next one, but if the guests were very special i would go for gold. I would have gone gold for 7.2, but they sold out before i found out about it :P