Did Breaking Dawn need to be that Gory and graphic?

jess8619

*SPOILERS BELOW*

When Breaking Dawn came out, I read it up to the middle of Jacob's bit (He's wondering why he can't imprint on Lizzie) then I gave up on it.

But last night I decided to carry on from where I was, and I've so far got to the bit where Bella is shouting at Jacob for imprinting on Renesemee.

My question is- did it really need to be that GORY? Urgh, when I was reading the birth I was on the verge of throwing up, no joke, Stabbing a needle into her heart, her back breaking, blood everywhere?!?!!? And it was described in so much DETAIL!

And, don't even get me started on the Honey Moon scene- too much information thanks! :D

How are they going to pull it all of in the film without getting it a high age rating?

What do you guys think?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*SPOILERS BELOW*

When Breaking Dawn came out, I read it up to the middle of Jacob's bit (He's wondering why he can't imprint on Lizzie) then I gave up on it.

But last night I decided to carry on from where I was, and I've so far got to the bit where Bella is shouting at Jacob for imprinting on Renesemee.

My question is- did it really need to be that GORY? Urgh, when I was reading the birth I was on the verge of throwing up, no joke, Stabbing a needle into her heart, her back breaking, blood everywhere?!?!!? And it was described in so much DETAIL!

And, don't even get me started on the Honey Moon scene- too much information thanks! :D

How are they going to pull it all of in the film without getting it a high age rating?

What do you guys think?

I dont think they will make the last book into a film to be honest. I think they will finish Eclipse with a wedding

But I also think there should have been more deaths in the last book.....you know big fight LOL But thats just me!

I just think Breaking Dawn has too many "adult" themes? I don't know how to describe it you either get it or you don't. I honestly think the Twilight film franchise will stay as a trilogy possibly bringing in the beginning of breaking dawn at the end of eclipse i.e the wedding

If I'm being completely honest...I skimmed the birth scene. I really don't remember anything more than it was gorey and hey look, there's Renestard!

I couldn't imagine Summit making it into a film...but then again, you know how Hollywood likes to milk things for every bit of money they can make. Twilight is an enormous franchise. I could see them going ahead with BD just to squeeze the last bit of Twi-hard enthusiasm out. I sincerely hope they just end Eclipse with a wedding and forget Renestard ever happened. The show down at the end is so anti-climactic that you wouldn't really miss hearing about it anyway.

Bella and Edward get married, and she becomes a vampire. The Volturri are happy, the Cullens are happy, Jacob isn't happy (but I don't really care!), and the Twi-hards are happy. And then we have world peace!

I really like the idea of a BD movie, but because Twilight has a lot of fans around 12-14 as well as over 15s and adults, I'm not sure a twelve year old would be able to sit through something like Renesmee's birth, which even I found freaky but that's cause I hate that demon child. Aaanyways lol getting sidetracked. And Jacob imprinting on her is just wrong, dude.

I really like the idea of a BD movie, but because Twilight has a lot of fans around 12-14 as well as over 15s and adults, I'm not sure a twelve year old would be able to sit through something like Renesmee's birth, which even I found freaky but that's cause I hate that demon child. Aaanyways lol getting sidetracked. And Jacob imprinting on her is just wrong, dude.

I hear you!

i was gonna 'not' reply to this thread... but i can't hold it in.

i loved breaking dawn. and i cant see why people diss it so much.

it was written how stephenie wanted it.

i loved renesmee's name.

i did think it was very descriptive when it came to the birth part, but that added to the whole scene.

i really hope they make breaking dawn into a film. i know it can be done. if you think of how many films out there that have awesome cgi and so breaking dawn should be a doddle. i dont know why people think it would be difficult, cos if they have a big enough budget like what they have for new moon, then it should be done!

i agree that jacob imprinting on renesmee was wrong... cos i dont like jacob! :o

there, thats my views!

*sigh of relief*

no arguements please lol

I didnt find it gory but thats probably because I have read alot of books by people like Clive Barker (hellraiser) so I'm used to more gore!

but yeah I did expect there to be a big epic battle at the end and for a few people die so I was quite shocked there wasnt.

I'd love to see Breaking Dawn as a movie I think they could do it as a higher rating or just clean it down abit cuz come kids see worse on tv these days!

I think it would be a shame if they didnt stick to the stories of the 4 books and do 4 movies but thats just my opinion!

If I'm being completely honest...I skimmed the birth scene. I really don't remember anything more than it was gorey and hey look, there's Renestard!

I couldn't imagine Summit making it into a film...but then again, you know how Hollywood likes to milk things for every bit of money they can make. Twilight is an enormous franchise. I could see them going ahead with BD just to squeeze the last bit of Twi-hard enthusiasm out. I sincerely hope they just end Eclipse with a wedding and forget Renestard ever happened. The show down at the end is so anti-climactic that you wouldn't really miss hearing about it anyway.

Bella and Edward get married, and she becomes a vampire. The Volturri are happy, the Cullens are happy, Jacob isn't happy (but I don't really care!), and the Twi-hards are happy. And then we have world peace!

I couldn't have said it better

and yes Jacob/Renesmee slight vomit issue

I don't know what the problem is tbh...

There are worse movie graphics than this so don't complain, you didn't enjoy that part of the book, oh well.

Breaking Dawn has almost been confirmed for filming if you read around, there's no chance it wouldn't be as the fans would be annoyed I know me and my friends would. I don't see the problem. The breaking of Bella's leg was pretty gruesome, they didn't need to show it but they did, they aren't going to change the books for the sake of people with uneasy stomachs...

I have no problem with the gore factor this is just a discussion no need to get aggressive . . . some people like chocolate some people don't, some people like Breaking Dawn, others don't. we're just discussing the book . . .

*Me being Jacob-defensive here*

What is wrong with him imprinting on the monster anyways? They aren't related, and he didn't want to imprint on her- he wanted to kill her!

He doesn't have a choice who he imprints on, it's just one of the downsides of being a werewolf, it's in his nature.

So, stop being mean to Jacob. :o

EDIT: And, I wasn't complaining, just giving my opinion. Sheesh...

Edited by jess8619

I don't know what the problem is tbh...

There are worse movie graphics than this so don't complain, you didn't enjoy that part of the book, oh well.

Breaking Dawn has almost been confirmed for filming if you read around, there's no chance it wouldn't be as the fans would be annoyed I know me and my friends would. I don't see the problem. The breaking of Bella's leg was pretty gruesome, they didn't need to show it but they did, they aren't going to change the books for the sake of people with uneasy stomachs...

HERE, HERE!! :thumbup:

i know its only a discussion, but i feel a permanant defensive attitude towards breaking dawn when anyone says anything bad about it.

lol

i also loved the ending! :P

*Me being Jacob-defensive here*

What is wrong with him imprinting on the monster anyways? They aren't related, and he didn't want to imprint on her- he wanted to kill her!

He doesn't have a choice who he imprints on, it's just one of the downsides of being a werewolf, it's in his nature.

So, stop being mean to Jacob. :thumbup:

EDIT: And, I wasn't complaining, just giving my opinion. Sheesh...

I second that :P

xxx

James breaking Bella's leg was gory? Lol, IMO somebody getting a scrape is gorier than that, but anywho, different tastes.

I'd just like to stress the fact that i DID love the book, I just really didnt like Renestard (awsome nickname btw thanks for that ihearttwilight :thumbup:). I have no problem with it if that's what Stephenie wanted, because fine, it's her series innit, but first of all it had a few elements of a badly explained sci-fi show. And while I may be a bit of a science nerd and can lecture the impossibilty of this till the cows come home, I wont because 1) I'm open minded, in fact I'm always looking up and studying things about breaking the rules of science so I don't now why Stephenie shouldnt be able to do the same in a FICTION series and 2) We could dispute that Edward doesnt have a blood flow etc thus not being able to conceive anything, but then again to even start that we'd have to find an explanation why edward doens't have a blood flow, because look, he's a vampire and vampires are hardly real, and even Stephenie's vampires exceed the stereotypical Dracula, so I really see no reason to argue on the scientific manner of Renestards conception.

(If you are wondering, yes I am only 14 so tahts why my ramble might seem a bit like rubbish, I am by no means a biologist, just quite interested in science :P)

The other problem I had was just the imprintation (?). I just didn't like it, namely because Jacob is/was in love with bella. he tried to imprint on her. He had fantasies, he tried to win her back, i'm sure he's thought about having her kids some day when Edward was out of the picture. So then he goes on to imprint on Bella and Edwards daughter. I was like er sure Jacob, cant get the mum so trap the small 'un while she's still young.

James breaking Bella's leg was gory? Lol, IMO somebody getting a scrape is gorier than that, but anywho, different tastes.

I'd just like to stress the fact that i DID love the book, I just really didnt like Renestard (awsome nickname btw thanks for that ihearttwilight :thumbup:). I have no problem with it if that's what Stephenie wanted, because fine, it's her series innit, but first of all it had a few elements of a badly explained sci-fi show. And while I may be a bit of a science nerd and can lecture the impossibilty of this till the cows come home, I wont because 1) I'm open minded, in fact I'm always looking up and studying things about breaking the rules of science so I don't now why Stephenie shouldnt be able to do the same in a FICTION series and 2) We could dispute that Edward doesnt have a blood flow etc thus not being able to conceive anything, but then again to even start that we'd have to find an explanation why edward doens't have a blood flow, because look, he's a vampire and vampires are hardly real, and even Stephenie's vampires exceed the stereotypical Dracula, so I really see no reason to argue on the scientific manner of Renestards conception.

(If you are wondering, yes I am only 14 so tahts why my ramble might seem a bit like rubbish, I am by no means a biologist, just quite interested in science :P)

The other problem I had was just the imprintation (?). I just didn't like it, namely because Jacob is/was in love with bella. he tried to imprint on her. He had fantasies, he tried to win her back, i'm sure he's thought about having her kids some day when Edward was out of the picture. So then he goes on to imprint on Bella and Edwards daughter. I was like er sure Jacob, cant get the mum so trap the small 'un while she's still young.

hahah yea agree with the bit about discussing how edward and bella concieved with no blood flow etc etc. funny.

i didnt like the imprinting either.