What would you like to see at Glasgow 4?

DavidB

• Moderators

No Posed Photos should be clearly stated at the end of a queue, and/or behind a guest on a wall dependent on the set up etc. So anyone should be aware of the fact before they get to pay for an autograph.

It's not possible to inform people before the event about such a thing because, as you say, many times the situation may change and be very last minute. It can be put up when busy, removed when not busy etc. There's too many different situations for it to be decided on beforehand.

As for it being of SMs choosing - I can honestly say that's not usually the case, if at all. I know of agents that have enforced it, and I know of guests that have too. But those details don't need to be gone into really. Many a guest won't want to seem impolite by saying 'no' if asked, for whatever reason, so the rule is enforced where necessary. And my experiences do come from crewing at the events and seeing how they often work, so I'm not just blindly defending the organiser without basis.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

craige turned up at about 1pm today. i don't know why but i know he had his family with him so it may have been something to do with them.

dirk was very unwell on sat, he finaly turned up at about 2pm yest as he had as he would say mild food poisoning. he wa feeling a little unwell today, but better later on and was willing to do posed pictures.

the sign was actuly for the lady sat next to him who is aparently sensitive to bright lights, ( she wore her sunglasses all weekend) but when dirk wasn't feeling well he took it for himself as well..

hope that explains things a little more.

Just got back had a great time all weekend. I was the one sat next to the lovely but crazy Katy Manning who kept me on my toes all weekend.

Firstly want to thank all the people on the fourm that i met (yesindeed, batman, steve and the rest) Also to all the fantastic crew i worked with.

This show was great but as everything can and will improve. CG4 will be bigger as alot of new people were there over the weekend and enjoyed it saying they will be back. All us local are always willing to help advertise with flyers ect. We just need it to be a nice warm day to get everyone out of the home and into CG4.

Another big thanks to the rest of the Showmasters team and Jason.

See you at CG4 :P

Pez

Thanks for the reply, the crew member with Dirk thought it was for Dirk (possible mis-communictaion?)

DavidB

That's the exact answer I was expecting. I told my partner you would post about 5 minutes later and exactly what you would say but she told me not to be daft.

It was a good day all in all, just tainted by what I posted earlier.

I'm not against "no posed photos" where sense indicates such. I remember years ago travelling to Manchester to meet Jorge Garcia and being disappointed he wasn't doing posed photos but fully understood as his queue was a ridiculous length and things were moving fast. From my point of view, Dirk had no problems with this (I doubt if it was his choice for the sign being up) and no queues or anyone near him. I've witnessed this at other events and not just at Collectormania Glasgow. I remember Michael Dorn at Milton Keyns having no queue in September and attendees around us in the queue at Jeff saying this was the reason they wouldn't see him. It was obvious to us Michael wanted the sign cos he looked miserable anyway - we avoided him and showmaster lost £20 * how many others felt the same way as us.

Obviously we can debate this till the cows come home - it was a good event today and Collectormania Glasgow is going from strength to strength.

Steve

Edited by steevofromglasgow

yeah, the face man was doing posed photo's on the friday

he said that he has to okay every picture of himself, which i thought was very funny and part of dirks charm

i just thought that he didn't want to take photo's when he wasn't feeling to well, but he was sitting next to Juliet Landau and she never took her tinted glasses off the whole time

not SMs fault but a very good poit

i really just look for quirky or rare items from dealers. stuff like the pics stalls seem pointless to me, i can download pics for nothing and get them printed for dirt cheap if i so wish. also things i can pop into town and buy arent gonna get my cash at a show.

and anniekins, didnt you notice the ginormous foodcourt? theres limited floorspace in the arena without adding an unnecessary cafe in there lol.

at the end of the day i go for the guests, that is what glasgow needs to improve on. i wouldnt ever go to a show if there wasnt guests i wanted to meet.

more guests.

• Moderators

DavidB

That's the exact answer I was expecting. I told my partner you would post about 5 minutes later and exactly what you would say but she told me not to be daft.

It was a good day all in all, just tainted by what I posted earlier.

Steve

Well I can't post anything but the truth, whether predictable or otherwise. I'm sorry if that's not particularly what you wanted to hear, but it is the way things work.

If SMs just wanted to shift as many photo shoots as possible, they wouldn't allow posed photos with any guests. However, this is not the case. There are still a fair amount of guests that do both, as evidenced by many photos at previous events.

Do agents sometimes want to shift more? Sure. Do guests sometimes not want to do posed photos for that reason or other reasons? Absolutely. But we're there to control such situations, and not have the behind-the-scenes business decisions put out there for all the public to see. I feel that's fairly reasonable.

Again, I apologise if my speedy predictable reply isn't sufficient, but I'm not going to lie to you. It is what it is, whether we agree with it or otherwise.

Sorry DavidB

I didn't mean to get at you. We would have loved a photoshoot today with Dirk and I would have done so if we didn't need to leave early.

We got a brilliant photoshoot with Ernie Hudson at Collectormania Glasgow 2 - he was doing posed photos at his stall but we declined and went for the photoshoot as the quality of the shots are brilliant (we bought 8 photoshoots at LFACC this year)

Regards

Steve

i.

and anniekins, didnt you notice the ginormous foodcourt? theres limited floorspace in the arena without adding an unnecessary cafe in there lol.

Fair point gahab13 :P

But did you notice the 'ginormous' amount of people that was there?? No think I shall pass, but thank you anyway and accepted as a fair point. :D

Although you have actually brought up a rather interesting side point....what exactly was the point of selling food inside the venue hall then? makes no sense if we go with your reasoning?

Im not being faecetious, just interested.

Ann x

Edited by anniekins

BTW, as regards the prop displays... I myself have a few screen used items, and I know a few more people that have way larger collections.

Hopefully there'll be enough UKCM present next August to warrant our own table again so we can show off some replica Aliens stuff - Even if not, I'd be happy to have a word and see if the collectors would fancy showing off some pieces.

I've got Simon Pegg's shirt from Shaun Of The Dead, some soldier costumes from Children Of Men, a Water And Power jumpsuit from Tank Girl, and a set of armour and a helmet used in Starship Troopers 1&2 and Firefly, as well as some screen used bank notes from Serenity.

Need to see about getting mannequins though - Yesindeed, do you reckon we might be able to beg some for the weekend from somewhere in the mall at all?

Edited by Reverend Scapegoat

• Moderators

Sorry DavidB

I didn't mean to get at you. We would have loved a photoshoot today with Dirk and I would have done so if we didn't need to leave early.

We got a brilliant photoshoot with Ernie Hudson at Collectormania Glasgow 2 - he was doing posed photos at his stall but we declined and went for the photoshoot as the quality of the shots are brilliant (we bought 8 photoshoots at LFACC this year)

Regards

Steve

You're not getting at me. I do genuinely understand the frustration, but sometimes these situations just have to be what they are. No one wants to make the guests look awkward or give the attendees a bad opinion of them, so a lot of the time the organisers take the fall and come out looking like the bad guys. I just know from personal experience that it's very rarely a decision from the top.

I can sound like a broken record at the best of times, but unfortunately most of the time it's just the truth and I can't say much else. I'd love for everyone to get what they want, but there's the balance between keeping the guests happy and the attendees too obviously!

As for replying quickly, I'd rather do that than people feel they're being ignored :smile:

Need to see about getting mannequins though - Yesindeed, do you reckon we might be able to beg some for the weekend from somewhere in the mall at all?

Possibly, it would depend on the shops but if needed i can see what I can do

Thanks bud :)

My take on the "No posed photos" thing, BTW...

It can vary, a LOT.

From personal experience of many years of many different events along these lines... A lot of guests are fine with it, but will bow to the demands of their management - Some agents are very much against posed pics, and I've seen 'em step in at other events and say "no" when the guest themself has been fine with it. Some guests do simply prefer not to allow posed pics full stop - Some are cunning about it, and will pose if asked but rely on their agent to be "the bad guy" hen they want to say no;).

Most of the time, it's somewhere in between, depending on business, and the demeanor of the guest at the time.

DavidB

Thanks for the reply.

It is frustrating, but thankfully we got the shot we wanted.

There's not many organisations who invite comments and I know Showmasters do stand by their word as this is the 3rd collectormania event in Glasgow.

Another point struck me, there were no adverts in the shopping centre themselves - this could have attracted spur of the moment attendees. We walked the length of the shopping centre from east to west. Braehead has large revolving doors at each end and there's usually advertising space in the middle or beside the doors - this may be a good place to plug the event. If we didn't know it was on from the website, we probably wouldn't have known it was on. I know there's people in costume wandering around advertising the event but we didn't see any this time.

Steve

Edited by steevofromglasgow

DavidB

Thanks for the reply.

It is frustrating, but thankfully we got the shot we wanted.

There's not many organisations who invite comments and I know Showmasters do stand by their word as this is the 3rd collectormania event in Glasgow.

Another point struck me, there were no adverts in the shopping centre themselves - this could have attracted spur of the moment attendees. We walked the length of the shopping centre from east to west. Braehead has large revolving doors at each end and there's usually advertising space in the middle or beside the doors - this may be a good place to plug the event. If we didn't know it was on from the website, we probably wouldn't have known it was on. I know there's people in costume wandering around advertising the event but we didn't see any this time.

Steve

I suggested the revolving doors and other advertising to SM at the event and we're (seeing as i work in the centre jason asked if i could put it up if they get it) gonna work on it

It had somthing to do with the management at the shopping center and werent allowed to hand out flyers or have up posters. But i think the costumes pull a few in. But yes its a shame about not having advertising to pull in a few extra punters.

i.

Fair point gahab13 :smile:

But did you notice the 'ginormous' amount of people that was there?? No think I shall pass, but thank you anyway and accepted as a fair point. :P

Although you have actually brought up a rather interesting side point....what exactly was the point of selling food inside the venue hall then? makes no sense if we go with your reasoning?

Im not being faecetious, just interested.

Ann x

maybe its part of the deal with the arena that they have to sell their hotdogs or whatever? or maybe the hotdog stand was banned from the main foodcourt for bad behaviour, idk. either way i blame davidb....for everything.

• Moderators

either way i blame davidb....for everything.

And so you should. I work hard to make sure there are always things that'll p!ss people off and give you all something to moan about. You should be thankful!

Speaking as a Colonial Marine ( Or "Green wallpaper behind THE ALIEN!" :P ), we're not allowed to stray too far from the Arena doors to PR the event, neither are the Stormtroopers.

And yeah - the folk on the tables weren't actually allowed to hand flyers to anyone, even ( Apparently ) to the extent that they couldn't give flyers for future events to folk who were buying tickets! they could just point at 'em!

Just talked to a few folk on MSN, BTW...

To my list above, we can possibly add screen-used costumes and props ( Guns :smile: ) from Sunshine, more Starship Troopers and Children Of Men, Doom, 28 Weeks Later, Hannibal Rising and a few other bits and bobs.

Well in either case, there is really an accident waiting to happen with the seating arrangements. I sincerely hope it is not me !!

Thats my only worry. :)

Ann x

either way i blame davidb....for everything.

And so you should. I work hard to make sure there are always things that'll p!ss people off and give you all something to moan about. You should be thankful!

of course you do mate, i mean how you arranged all the problems and stuff without coming up to glasgow is nothing but pure skill

the problem with the center is that it's against health and safety to flyer, in case anyone just throws them on the floor, once Jason waved a golden carrot infront of the center managers face he agreed to the flyering, which i must admit its a first, the guy is an absolute........

i'll stop there

the fringe festival is in august, i just think there is massive potential to attract every type of guest imaginable, lots of them will already be there. there is no place in the uk more culturally active than edinburgh in august. plus the huge influx of visitors and tourists at that time.

The downside of that is that many people are there for stuff related to the festival rather than Collectormania. It also means that all the hotels are booked (some friends of mine who were playing at one of the festival venues this year had to get a hotel 40 miles away). Oh, and a number of businesses seem to think that the large influx of festival-goers is a good excuse to jack up their prices for the season (e.g. the 45% increase in price at the car park run by a large company who operate car parks around the country I used in August which had been taken off again in October).

I doubt there's reason to move from Glasgow anyway, but most definitely don't move it to Edinburgh in the festival season.

Hi

2. The "no posed photos" signs.

We went to Dirks table at 10:20 and wanted his autograph and a photo of him with our son. When the assistant said there was no posed photos, we declined and Dirk gave a large "aaaawwww".

There was no-one at Dirks table for the next 25 minutes (I know this because we were waiting for Craig Charles between both tables). I asked staff to provide warnings in future (if possible) on the website. I then spoke to the organisers booth and too tall. On all occasstions, I got the same reply "he wasn't feeling well" (but doing a photoshoot later in the day), some guests don't like posed photos, etc.

After waiting an age for Craig Charles (who never turned up) my six year old son said he wanted to meet Dirk anyway. He went up, paid the money, had a quick chat with him and it was Dirk who turned my son around and allowed us to take a photo. I'm so glad Dirk has more sense than showmasters in these instances. If we had known Craig wasn't coming Showmasters would have lost £15 from us.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for "no posed photos" at busy events with busy guests but Dirk had no-one near him in 20 minutes and it was obvious the "no posed photos" was not his choice - if it was, then he obviously changed his mind at 10:55. Yes, he was unwell, but still took the time to attend, was kind to my son and gladly posed for a photo with him. If we were there all day, then we would have paid for the photoshoot but we had to leave at 12:15 (and did so without meeting Craig Charles).

Hi, Steve,

I was Dirk's guest assistant today, and I remember both your visits to the table. I also can tell you why things happened the way they did.

Dirk was suffering from food poisoning yesterday, and was in a lot of discomfort. The sign had been put up then. Today, he had still not eaten, and although a lot better than on Saturday was still feeling pretty grim. The notice was there because standing up and sitting down repeatedly was giving him a lot of discomfort. I'd say it was clearly posted where it could be seen before coming up to the table.

The way it worked all day was that if people asked, I said no, but if he felt OK, he'd over-rule me, and stand up for a photograph. As the day went on, he did more of them.

The first time you left, he saw how disappointed you all were, and asked me to keep my eyes open for you if you were around near his table again later. As it was, it was him rather than me who spotted you later. At that point, he did have a posed photograph with your son.

As to Craig Charles, he did eventually turn up later, but I didn't discuss with him why he was late.

Dirk worked through the day, and eventually had some very plain food to eat late in the afternoon. Until that point he'd only managed to drink a few cups of tea. He'd been putting on a pretty brave face all day, but it was clear he wasn't well.