Tennant to leave after 2009 speicals

cyberdrunk

It's been forty-five years since the series started.

I'd love to see a female Doctor, and really don't see a reason why there shouldn't be one - one of the most powerful figures in Doctor Who history was female, after all... the late, great Verity Lambert. ^^

Change is good, guys.

I was brought into the show by NewWho, but prefer the classic series, for the record.

Call it what you want but as a longtime Who fan i do not want a black Doctor

New who fans without any real knowledge of previous doctors who themselves have a pc slant will disagree but its just wrong and as many a Bond fan would baulk at a black Bond i dont want a Doctor who is chinese,black,indian or scouse.

This may not go down well but im not alone.

I guess you're a bit too late, considering that Paul McGann is a scouser, or doesnt he count?

oh yeah and .....TOM BAKER is a scouser too

As for the black Doctor debate, who has the right to say a black doctor wont be good or popular or successful, last time i remember a good story is usually based on good writing and good acting, and anyone who thinks DW will be awful if a black actor plays him obviously hasn't crawled out of the 20th century.

and before you ask, ive been watching DW since i was a toddler

When i refer to a scouser i mean someone with a thick scouse accent ...you know the type - professional scousers

Im well aware that TB and PM and indeed Ms Sladen are from Liverpool but all hardly sound like they come from liverpool do they ...thats the first thing they got rid of

and im not that up on McGanns career or his 2 hrs as the Doc...the only work of his apart from that i have seen is Withnall

ive had this debate on other forums

im not alone with my thoughts on this kind of casting

the majority of viewers will be cold towards a black Doc thats just the way it is

just look at Martha..i liked her but did she have the same popularity as Tate and Piper?

no

did her screen family?

no

theres something going on there

Personally im tired of trendy media types casting black people in roles for impact and if a black doc loses viewers im sure there will be a huge increase in viewers from some areas if there is a black Doc

just look at the first time voters this week in the US

is it because i is black?

after reading about who actually voted Obama yes it indeed is

Edited by vintageSW77

I'd love to see a female Doctor, and really don't see a reason why there shouldn't be one - one of the most powerful figures in Doctor Who history was female, after all... the late, great Verity Lambert. ^^

Change is good, guys.

I was brought into the show by NewWho, but prefer the classic series, for the record.

I have no problem with a black Doctor, so long as he can act. A woman though.. no, just no. I don't really understand why fans think this would be a good idea? The Doctor is a Time LORD, the Master is a Time LORD, Romana is a Time LADY, Susan is a Time LADY! There are male and female Gallifreyans and the Doctor is a male! It's as simple as that really!

Call it what you want but as a longtime Who fan i do not want a black Doctor

New who fans without any real knowledge of previous doctors who themselves have a pc slant will disagree but its just wrong and as many a Bond fan would baulk at a black Bond i dont want a Doctor who is chinese,black,indian or scouse.

This may not go down well but im not alone.

I guess you're a bit too late, considering that Paul McGann is a scouser, or doesnt he count?

oh yeah and .....TOM BAKER is a scouser too

As for the black Doctor debate, who has the right to say a black doctor wont be good or popular or successful, last time i remember a good story is usually based on good writing and good acting, and anyone who thinks DW will be awful if a black actor plays him obviously hasn't crawled out of the 20th century.

and before you ask, ive been watching DW since i was a toddler

When i refer to a scouser i mean someone with a thick scouse accent ...you know the type - professional scousers

Im well aware that TB and PM and indeed Ms Sladen are from Liverpool but all hardly sound like they come from liverpool do they ...thats the first thing they got rid of

and im not that up on McGanns career or his 2 hrs as the Doc...the only work of his apart from that i have seen is Withnall

ive had this debate on other forums

im not alone with my thoughts on this kind of casting

the majority of viewers will be cold towards a black Doc thats just the way it is

just look at Martha..i liked her but did she have the same popularity as Tate and Piper?

no

did her screen family?

no

theres something going on there

Personally im tired of trendy media types casting black people in roles for impact and if a black doc loses viewers im sure there will be a huge increase in viewers from some areas if there is a black Doc

just look at the first time voters this week in the US

is it because i is black?

after reading about who actually voted Obama yes it indeed is

Martha didn't go down as well as Rose or Donna because a. she wasn't already famous and b. her character was simply not interesting enough. Plus, Mickey and Tosh were both popular characters. To suggest Martha wasn't as popular cos she is black is insulting if you ask me. Just because you have racist views doesn't mean the whole Who fandom does! Old or New!

Who fandom?

the majority of people who watch NU Who are just typical Saturday night viewers

and i have been in a packed room full of Who fans who groaned when Mickey was mentioned

not that popular at all

i could do a full page post about black contestants,tv characters,presenters on prime time tv but as im at work its difficult

Edited by vintageSW77

Who fandom?

the majority of people who watch NU Who are just typical Saturday night viewers

Oooh snappy comeback, you've manage to completely avoid replying to any of her salient points.

Bonogirl81's right though, there is no way you can say that Martha wasn't popular because of her skin colour. To make that leap says more about you as a person than about the reality of the situation.

As far as I saw Martha wasn't the most dynamic of characters, she spent large portions of time making puppy dog eyes at the doctor and lamenting the fact that he didn't love her the way she loved him. Rose and Donna had way more charisma, they evolved as characters, had some fire about them, got stuck into the situations and actually came up with ideas and solutions to help them.

It really doesn't matter what race or colour the next Dr is, as long as he can act and give a bit of character development then he'll be all right by me.

I'll admit though that I'm not convinced on the idea of a female Dr. It wouldn't make any sense that he could change sex as there are already female Gallifreyans and its a fairly obvious assumption that Susan was born a female so that implies that their sex stays fixed.

I know that this is the realm of Science-Fiction so they can ultimately do whatever they like with the stories but if they want to keep the show from getting farcical then they need to be careful how far they push the boundaries.

Oooh snappy comeback, you've manage to completely avoid replying to any of her salient points.

Reply to -

"she wasnt popular because she wasnt already famous" ?

that says more about the majority of the people watching the show than anything else

Underwritten?

True

RTD wanted to cut back on the sidekick stuff for season 3 as the first two seasons has way too much of the Tyler family

thats what happened there

you work with what you get and she did a good job and had plenty of screen time to win people over but other character on the show have done less and have been more warmly recieved

it doesnt add up

Edited by vintageSW77

Just because it doesn't add up to you doesn't automatically mean that its down to her skin colour. Maybe her personality just isn't as strong as Billie or Catherine, maybe she just isn't as confident an actress so she cannot command the screen as well, it could be one of many reasons.

Thats why I think its completely wrong and unfounded that you keep throwing the race card around as reasons for failure. People are just as likely to dislike someone who is white as they are to someone who is black/asian or whatever. Its a fair point to dislike and actor/actress based on their performance but to dislike someone just because of their skin colour is exceptionally blinkered and to completely discount a black doctor just because a previously casted black family didn't work out is unreasonable and frankly ridiculous

Edited by Magenta_Jan

This has been debated on far greater contributed to Who forums than this

a dozen people disagree here

big deal

I notice the Magenta get up with interest

Im sure when MTV shows its threatened Rocky Horror Pictiure Show revamp next year that well no doubt have Jay Z and Beyonce as Brad N Janet and Kanye West as Frankenfurther

But im sure that will be ok with you.

Itz just a jump 2 da left......................JUMP! JUMP!

and then stepz 2 da right

Edited by vintageSW77

big deal

OK, go on Outpost Gallifrey with these views. I think you'll find you'll soon get shouted down.

Most people feel that in the current climate - and considering how history has just been made - views like yours are unwanted and basically medieval.

Magenta, thanks for the back up.

big deal

OK, go on Outpost Gallifrey with these views. I think you'll find you'll soon get shouted down.

Most people feel that in the current climate - and considering how history has just been made - views like yours are unwanted and basically medieval.

and in the current climate some people need to bring the nescafe within distance of their hooter

ill no doubt get into bother for this

just because almost every black person got off their ar5e to vote in many cases for the first time because the whitest black man ive ever seen was up during the election does not make the world a better place than it was this time last week

Edited by vintageSW77

big deal

I notice the Magenta get up with interest

Im sure when MTV shows its threatened Rocky Horror Pictiure Show revamp next year that well no doubt have Jay Z and Beyonce as Brad N Janet and Kanye West as Frankenfurther

But im sure that will be ok with you.

Itz just a jump 2 da left......................JUMP! JUMP!

and then stepz 2 da right

So because other people have agreed with your narrow-minded view on another forum that makes it true for all Who fans?? I think you'll find that its a very small percentage of fans who will take the time to discuss it on forums and I think that if you were to poll a much wider group you'd find that it is you and the other people who agree with you that are in the minority. I just think its terribly sad that you are all so closed-minded that you are writing off something before it has even happened and you are refusing to give the idea of something different a chance. I'm sure there have been times in the past where you (& the others too) have resited change but later came round to the idea when you'd given it a chance.

As for the Rocky Horror point I can't say I'd be bothered, yes its hard to imagine anyone other than the original actors in those roles but if MTV chose to go for a more eclectic mix I shall wait and see the result before making my judgement. I can say however that I have a copy of a special edition of the RH soundtrack that features songs from various productions around the world with some of them sung in the native languages of the country and I absolutely love it, I find it interesting to listen to the different interpretations of the original.

big deal

and in the current climate some people need to bring the nescafe within distance of their hooter

just because almost every black person got off their ar5e to vote in many cases for the first time because the whitest black man ive ever seen was up during the election does not make the world a better place than it was this time last week

So, is it black people in general you have a problem with then? Or just those on TV?

Have you seen Hairspray? You'd hate that movie...

I'm thinking this debate will get me nowhere. Back to work.

big deal

The election has absolutely no relevence to this discussion what so ever (and I'm meaning in support of either side of the argument). Fair point Vintage, your reference to the potential casting of black actors in the rocky horror remake was a fair comparison but its a heck of a leap for either of you to compare it to the election.

This discussion is about the potential casting of a dramatically different actor to the norm for Dr Who which will obviously cause a stir amongst the Whovian community but it really isn't that big a deal. Its hardly going to cause a national stir let alone a global one like the election has. In fact the only people who seem to be getting upset about it is you and the others you mentioned earlier. The only reason I have bothered to respond is because I have found your comments uneccessarily rude, abrasive and narrow-minded and I believe in speaking out when I don't agree with something.

Edited by Magenta_Jan

Change is good, guys.

I have no problem with a black Doctor, so long as he can act. A woman though.. no, just no. I don't really understand why fans think this would be a good idea? The Doctor is a Time LORD, the Master is a Time LORD, Romana is a Time LADY, Susan is a Time LADY! There are male and female Gallifreyans and the Doctor is a male! It's as simple as that really!

We've never been told that the Doctor can't regenerate into a woman... in fact, if we look at the spin-offs, we have Arabella Weir playing the Doctor in the Unbound audios.

In fact, to quote from that page that smashes together all the canons:

It is possible for a male Gallifreyan to regenerate into a female, if they regenerate by committing suicide, or a dog.
The 'regenerate by committing suicide' part comes from Unbound, presumably, but the rest is apparently from the novels. Isn't Doctor Who canon fun?

In fact, to quote from that page that smashes together all the canons:

It is possible for a male Gallifreyan to regenerate into a female, if they regenerate by committing suicide, or a dog.
The 'regenerate by committing suicide' part comes from Unbound, presumably, but the rest is apparently from the novels. Isn't Doctor Who canon fun?

I thought at first when I read that, that it meant he could regenerate into a woman if he was killed by a dog :YAHOO: I'm assuming that you mean he can regenerate into a dog though right??

Have you seen Hairspray? You'd hate that movie...

I have a problem with "impact" casting.

The US election is another thing altogether

and as for Outpost Gallifrey i got out last year because the Nu Who fans started to get on my t1ts

As for Hairspray i saw the original at the flicks as im a John Walters fan

as for the remake it has Zac "look mom no co(k !" Effron in it so unless i have a gun held to my head i doubt ill see it and even then id ask for them to pull the trigger

Edited by vintageSW77

I have a problem with "impact" casting.

Do you honestly think that they would cast a black actor just to be pc or for some kind of effect??

I'm pretty sure that they'd be failing their jobs if there were to cast an inferior actor just to fit in with some pc quotient. Whoever they choose it'll be because they feel thats the best person for the job and if they don't then frankly they'd be idiots who deserve to fail.

with the "impact" casting i was refering to other characters than the doc

im knocking this on the head

i was in a bad mood yesterday and i find it hard to argue with someone who likes like my 3rd fave sexiest female in a movie ever behind Fenella Fielding in Carry On Screaming and Barbarella

Edited by vintageSW77