Return of the King

Radar

:help:

I have read FOTR and just finishing the two towers, but now I am undecided as to read Return of the King or wait for the film. As I have not read them before I don't know how it ends!!

For those of you who know do you think I should read the book first or see the film?

Thanks

Ooh, difficult one this. :wub: I've just started re-reading ROTK but then I've read them all about 100 times already! :D I think as you've read FOTR and TTT you'd be best to read ROTK too, otherwise you'll miss out on some of the details - particularly if this rumour about Saruman is true (but you'll have already read about that!) Sorry I'm not making much sense :D

That's what I was thinking and then at least I can enjoy the film and not be thinking 'They didn't do that in the book!'

And I won't miss Sauromon as I won't know he was supposed to be there. Although I do know now that he is supposed to be there, but I won't know what part he plays in the final stages. (confusion!!)

Think I've made up my mind now. Will probably change though!!

Thanks!!

I've read the books quite some time before the movies anyway so I never was in that dilemma actually. What I realized though, when I read them again after seeing FOTR and TTT, was that I didn't pay that much attention to all the details anymore. It was like I had the whole image of the movies in my head so I felt it rather difficult at times to read on. On the other hand that's perhaps just because I read the books so many times already, so that I don't pay that much attention to everything mentioned anymore.

Anyway...since you've read TTT and FOTR after you've seen the movies, I'd suggest that you do the same with ROTK. Mostly 'cause for you now the whole story's still totally open. I mean when I went to watch FOTR I knew already what would happen in ROTK, so I wasn't like some of my other friends, who hadn't read the books before the movies, and who just needed to know immediately what was gonna happen next. Besides when I first saw FOTR I also always had Tolkiens words in the back of my head, what made it quite difficult for me at the beginning to put up with PJ's changes for the movie. So what I want to say by this is that you should take this as a chance to really let the movie grow on you as it is, without knowing the ending. You still - and I really hope you do - can read ROTK afterwards.

By the way, normally I would say to read a book before the movie, but since you've read FOTR and TTT both after the movies I think it doesn't really make any difference anymore. Oh..and another suggestion just comes to my mind. Do it as my brother did, if you don't want to know the ending yet: Just read ROTK and stop at some chapter near the ending. I personnally wouldn't be able to do that since I'm always waaaay to eager to know what is gonna happen when I read a book, but it might works for you as it worked for my brother! :)

Personally I would wait till after the movie, thats what my friend Jo is doing. She has watched the movie first and then gone straight into the book but now with all the trailers and so on its hard not to get pulled into reading it. It should make your time watching the film more exciting if you don't know what gonna happen next

Thanks Nyah.

I know what you mean about reading the books after seeing the movie as when I picture it in my head I imagine the characters played by the actors in the film. I remember my friend saying to me after seeing TTT that Treebeard wasn't anything like he imagined when reading the book. It's nice when you read a book to imagine yourself what everyone looks like.

I usually do prefer to read a book before seeing the film, but quite like your idea of reading most of ROTK and stopping near the end, but not sure if I can trust myself to stop!!

Maybe I best leave the reading till after the film!!

I've just read a bit by accident on the IMDb forum under return of the king about something that happens at the end. D'oh!!!

I had to look away quickly so not to find out anymore!

Definetly going to watch the film and enjoy that then read the books, then probably read them all again!! Am excited now! :D

READ IT READ IT!!!!!!

hehe....well its up to you but i got into exactly the same situation!

i started to read them after i had seen the first two films, and i read it right to the end and loved it! i dunno if its just that the third books better, or coz i hadnt seen a film of it, but i read the third one so much quicker than the rest coz i was really enjoying it and didnt know what was gonna happen!

with the first two its so easy to just say u wont bother coz theres a film to watch instead, but the films dont follow the books exactly and i really enjoyed reading the book and not knowing whats gonna happen!!

its up to you...but id recommend reading it now....sorry to be difficult and go against everyone else :D its just my oppinion...i think u'd enjoy the book more if you hadnt seen the film....it'd be easier to understand as you wont have all the other ideas in your head...

mwahaha....good luck :D

rite well.. a bit of a tough one this but i would say that if u have already read al of two towers then u will be safe in reading rotk. i mean u have read the beginning of the rotk film anyway because its the end of ttt book. go on read it. i dont know how u can stop urself to be honest!!!

• 2 weeks later...