Olympics 2008

Daniel

womens 400 metre race was excellent. Well done Christine Orugue

Now, I am happy that Team GB is doing so well. But, I have always been against Christine Ohuruogu racing following her 1 year ban for missing 3 urine drug tests. Now, I find it convenient that the person being used as one of the faces of 2012 is served a lifetime Olympic ban, but that is overturned upon appeal. Her excuses of missing the times that she set were lame and pathetic in my opinion. Forgetfulness and last minute venue changes on 3 seperate instances just don't wash.

If she got to race, taking into account that no one will ever really know if she was on drugs, then Chambers should have been able to race as we know he failed he test and served his ban.

Anyway, great results for Team GB...except the one I don't like obviously.

P.S. I did not post this to stir things up, but to say that Ohuruogu racing was wrong. I also think she should be removed as one of the faces of 2012.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, I am happy that Team GB is doing so well. But, I have always been against Christine Ohuruogu racing following her 1 year ban for missing 3 urine drug tests. Now, I find it convenient that the person being used as one of the faces of 2012 is served a lifetime Olympic ban, but that is overturned upon appeal. Her excuses of missing the times that she set were lame and pathetic in my opinion. Forgetfulness and last minute venue changes on 3 seperate instances just don't wash.

If she got to race, taking into account that no one will ever really know if she was on drugs, then Chambers should have been able to race as we know he failed he test and served his ban.

I'll disagree with you in part. Assuming she doesn't fail a drugs test now (and for the last week I've been rubbing my eyes in disbelief, half expecting our folks to fail drugs tests or have their bikes declared illegal or something - as somebody who remembers us winning one, yes one gold medal in Atlanta, I'm just not used to us being this good!), then she's clean, and that's good enough for me, under the current rules.

Yes, missing drugs tests with dubious excuses is poor behaviour, and I wouldn't moan if they made the punishment the same two year ban as a failed test, but as it is, she's served her ban, you can't expect her to ban herself for longer, can you?

Equally I'll agree with you, that having served the 2 year ban, Dwain Chambers should be clear to run again, and the BOA ban is unfair. Personally I feel that the BOA ban should reflect the internationally-agreed ban, and to impose a heavier one (a lifetime one in the BOA case) is unreasonable. I'd be happy for the general ban to be 4 years, but until that's internationally agreed with all countries agreeing to it, then it should be the same rule for all. I appreciate that the BOA can do what it likes and is effectively saying that they find drug use completely unacceptable, which is laudable, but I suspect that it may well constitute a partial restraint of trade when subjected to a full judicial review. If nothing else, I think Chambers should get credot from the BOA in at least co-operarting with the subsequent investigation.

Anyway, well done to all our competitors, especially the successful ones, and here's to hopefully more than a few more medals to come.

I'll disagree with you in part. Assuming she doesn't fail a drugs test now (and for the last week I've been rubbing my eyes in disbelief, half expecting our folks to fail drugs tests or have their bikes declared illegal or something - as somebody who remembers us winning one, yes one gold medal in Atlanta, I'm just not used to us being this good!), then she's clean, and that's good enough for me, under the current rules.

Yes, missing drugs tests with dubious excuses is poor behaviour, and I wouldn't moan if they made the punishment the same two year ban as a failed test, but as it is, she's served her ban, you can't expect her to ban herself for longer, can you?

Equally I'll agree with you, that having served the 2 year ban, Dwain Chambers should be clear to run again, and the BOA ban is unfair. Personally I feel that the BOA ban should reflect the internationally-agreed ban, and to impose a heavier one (a lifetime one in the BOA case) is unreasonable. I'd be happy for the general ban to be 4 years, but until that's internationally agreed with all countries agreeing to it, then it should be the same rule for all. I appreciate that the BOA can do what it likes and is effectively saying that they find drug use completely unacceptable, which is laudable, but I suspect that it may well constitute a partial restraint of trade when subjected to a full judicial review. If nothing else, I think Chambers should get credot from the BOA in at least co-operarting with the subsequent investigation.

Anyway, well done to all our competitors, especially the successful ones, and here's to hopefully more than a few more medals to come.

The thing that displeases me more than Chambers having the lifetime ban imposed and not overturned, is that everyone knows he failed a test. Yet Ohuruogu misses 3, not 1, but 3 tests at times she set at locations she set. Her excuses were lame and yet were accepted on appeal. The length of time between tests, according to medical reports at the time, would have given her body enough time to rid itself of any traces of drugs. Now, if Chambers had been extended the same chance to compete, I wouldn't mind Ohuruogu competing at the Olympics; even though only her knowing if she was juicing.

The people at fault here with double standards are the BOA. Chambers made a mistake, admitted it, served his ban and fought his way back to be the fastest in Great Britain. Yet, he gets two fingers in return from the snobbish heirarchy at the BOA. But 2012 poster girl gets a one year ban and a pat on the back to compete in the Olympics - probably because she was expected to challenge for medals, whereas Chambers wasn't.

Anyway, well done to the girls on the Open Water event.

The thing that displeases me more than Chambers having the lifetime ban imposed and not overturned, is that everyone knows he failed a test. Yet Ohuruogu misses 3, not 1, but 3 tests at times she set at locations she set. Her excuses were lame and yet were accepted on appeal. The length of time between tests, according to medical reports at the time, would have given her body enough time to rid itself of any traces of drugs. Now, if Chambers had been extended the same chance to compete, I wouldn't mind Ohuruogu competing at the Olympics; even though only her knowing if she was juicing.

The people at fault here with double standards are the BOA. Chambers made a mistake, admitted it, served his ban and fought his way back to be the fastest in Great Britain. Yet, he gets two fingers in return from the snobbish heirarchy at the BOA. But 2012 poster girl gets a one year ban and a pat on the back to compete in the Olympics - probably because she was expected to challenge for medals, whereas Chambers wasn't.

Anyway, well done to the girls on the Open Water event.

would it not have come down to a decision from people other that a British organisation to allow her to compete?

i mean, yeah if she is a strong medal candidate and a british organisation decides to let her compete as they know she is a high prospect to win a medal then that is wrong but if the Olympic body or world athletic body or something of that nature that also agreed she can compete that it can hardly be put down to British officials just trying to gain an extra medal.

im not arguing your point or saying you are wrong, just asking the question as i dont really know the back story so im trying to understand myself

P.S. I did not post this to stir things up, but to say that Ohuruogu racing was wrong. I also think she should be removed as one of the faces of 2012.

What you've said is absolutely ridiculous! :poki:

And no I'm not saying this to wind people up either. There is a huge difference in Christine's behaviour and that of Dwain Chambers. Yes she missed 3 tests..... Dwain Chambers actually tested positive for a banned substance. You should just be happy for her going out and getting that medal for herself. Congratualtions again it was a brilliant race! And you deserve to be the face of 2012

Edited by reddragon

What you've said is absolutely ridiculous! :poki:

And no I'm not saying this to wind people up either. There is a huge difference in Christine's behaviour and that of Dwain Chambers. Yes she missed 3 tests..... Dwain Chambers actually tested positive for a banned substance. You should just be happy for her going out and getting that medal for herself. Congratualtions again it was a brilliant race! And you deserve to be the face of 2012

You see that is the thing, WHY did she miss the tests? I havent read into it or anything like that so im green here but if the excuses were weak ones then that would make a lot of people wonder if she missed them because she knew she would test positive. If that is the case then she shouldnt have been able to compete.

If the excuses were valid then good on her for getting the ban over turned and competing successfully

Add to that, unless she tests positive post run, she ran a blinder and deserved that gold.

reddragon - I respect your views, but I do not find my views ridiculous as there will always be a cloud over her head as to whether she was juicing or not. In the case of Chambers, at least we know he juiced at one time or another in his career. With him it is cut and dry that he cheated. With her, only she will know. If she was juicing, and she learnt her lesson with the year's ban for missing 3 tests, then all power to her for coming back and winning gold. But, I personally cannot be happy for someone winning a Gold Medal representing Team GB if they is an unanswered question over her possible previous juicing. That doesn't mean everyone else has to think the same way, but I do know of quite a few people who were surprised that she was competing after being banned for life by the BOA. They were unaware that the ban had been overturned.

snot182 - The backstory is this....

Chambers juiced and got caught. Served a two year ban, but had a BOA Only Olympics Life Ban imposed.

Ohuruogu missed 3 drugs test in a row at times and places she had set with the Drug Testing Authority in the UK. She received a one year ban for missing these tests, and a lifetime Olympics ban imposed by the BOA. On appeal she gave the reasons of forgetfulness and last minute venue changes as to why she missed three tests on the bounce. For some unknown reason, although there has been chatter of the fact she is the poster girl of 2012, the BOA - the British Olympic Association - accepted these rather lame reasons and overturned her ban.

The lifetime Olympic ban is only imposed by the BOA...no one else at the moment.

I can fully appreciate British fans getting caught up in the great success of Team GB, but I personally - and I am not alone - am not happy that she competed and Chambers didn't. Chambers cheated, but admitted it, apologised and served his punishment. Ohuruogu will always be known in certain quarters, and some commentators have expressed this themselves, as the one no one will ever know for sure if she juiced or was clean. That to me is worse than people knowing you cheated.

Olympics Ban - At the moment this country, or rather GB, is the only one to impose a lifetime ban. If you are banned from competing at the time of the Olympics, then you can't compete. But the BOA impose the ban for the Olympics only, but not any other competition. Chambers is free to represent Team GB at the Worlds or Commenwealth, but not the Olympics.

Edited by Jonesy

Middleweight Boxer James DeGale has secured the minimum of a Bronze medal as he progressed to the Semi- Finals.

Iain Percy and Andrew Simpsons only need to finish in the top 8 of Thursday's Star Class to secure at least a Bronze. In the three races so far they have placed 1st, 3rd and 6th, lying 2nd overall just two points behind Sweeden.

Current Medals Table:

Rank...........Country............Gold...........Silver..........Bronze.........TOTAL

1.................China...............45..............14...............20...............79

2.................USA.................26..............26...............27...............79

3.................Great Britain.....16..............10...............10...............36

4.................Russia..............13..............14...............18...............45

5.................Australia...........11..............12...............12...............35

And, if you check out the BBC Website Olympics section, they think that Team GB have a strong chance of Gold's in 5 more events...

Edited by Jonesy

Fair enough.

I might have sounded anti Dwain Chambers in my last post. I am pleased that Christine won the gold. I fro one was also shocked that Dwain Chambers ban stood even after the court battle because having heard him in several interviews he has tried to answer his critics and improve himself. I thought he too would represent GB this year. You are right Jonesy, he has come through the ban and maybe should have been given another chance but unfortunately for us the courts disagreed, hence another medal (not gold) slipping from our grasp.

reddragon - I respect your views, but I do not find my views ridiculous as there will always be a cloud over her head as to whether she was juicing or not. In the case of Chambers, at least we know he juiced at one time or another in his career. With him it is cut and dry that he cheated. With her, only she will know. If she was juicing, and she learnt her lesson with the year's ban for missing 3 tests, then all power to her for coming back and winning gold. But, I personally cannot be happy for someone winning a Gold Medal representing Team GB if they is an unanswered question over her possible previous juicing. That doesn't mean everyone else has to think the same way, but I do know of quite a few people who were surprised that she was competing after being banned for life by the BOA. They were unaware that the ban had been overturned.

Chambers juiced and got caught. Served a two year ban, but had a BOA Only Olympics Life Ban imposed.

Ohuruogu missed 3 drugs test in a row at times and places she had set with the Drug Testing Authority in the UK. She received a one year ban for missing these tests, and a lifetime Olympics ban imposed by the BOA. On appeal she gave the reasons of forgetfulness and last minute venue changes as to why she missed three tests on the bounce. For some unknown reason, although there has been chatter of the fact she is the poster girl of 2012, the BOA - the British Olympic Association - accepted these rather lame reasons and overturned her ban.

The lifetime Olympic ban is only imposed by the BOA...no one else at the moment.

I can fully appreciate British fans getting caught up in the great success of Team GB, but I personally - and I am not alone - am not happy that she competed and Chambers didn't. Chambers cheated, but admitted it, apologised and served his punishment. Ohuruogu will always be known in certain quarters, and some commentators have expressed this themselves, as the one no one will ever know for sure if she juiced or was clean. That to me is worse than people knowing you cheated.

Olympics Ban - At the moment this country, or rather GB, is the only one to impose a lifetime ban. If you are banned from competing at the time of the Olympics, then you can't compete. But the BOA impose the ban for the Olympics only, but not any other competition. Chambers is free to represent Team GB at the Worlds or Commenwealth, but not the Olympics.

What I find here is that if you have an excuse what ever it is then you may get let off, why I don't know.

Personally (my opinions only here) I think Ohuruogu should not have taken part, a ban is a ban and I can't see anyone forgetting 3 tests or changing a venue that many times and missing the tests, it does make one wonder whether a person was using especially when they use such lame excuses for not turning up for testing, especially when appealing.

IMO it doesn't make GB look good when people find this out about one of our competitors, when someone won an appeal for not turning up to testing for one reason or another.

Have to agree with anyone who thinks people like this should not be competing for GB's behalf, and I would have said this whether a gold bronze or no medle at all was won.

:clap:

LLAP :wub:

What I find here is that if you have an excuse what ever it is then you may get let off, why I don't know.

Personally (my opinions only here) I think Ohuruogu should not have taken part, a ban is a ban and I can't see anyone forgetting 3 tests or changing a venue that many times and missing the tests, it does make one wonder whether a person was using especially when they use such lame excuses for not turning up for testing, especially when appealing.

IMO it doesn't make GB look good when people find this out about one of our competitors, when someone won an appeal for not turning up to testing for one reason or another.

Have to agree with anyone who thinks people like this should not be competing for GB's behalf, and I would have said this whether a gold bronze or no medle at all was won.

:clap:

LLAP :wub:

She has done her time with the ban, you should let bygones be bygones.

No worries reddragon, it is nice to have a sensible exchange on these boards when you see some of the exchanges people have elsewhere. This exchange is about a rather serious matter of doping/juicing, so opinions would be varied. It is a shame that these things happen, but the thing that also annoys me are the comments by some former Olympians such as Kelly Holmes, Allen Wells and Seb Coe to name but three. I respect their right to an opinion, but they have painted Chambers to be the proverbial devil. Yet, I have seen Holmes and Coe say how wonderful Ohuruogu is.

At least Chambers can say he is legally the fastest sprinter this year in the UK.

BMX Update ... Did anyone see the gash on our girl's arm? Most people would have been claiming that they were dying or something, yet she treated it as a scratch..true BMX attitude there...got to love it..

No worries reddragon, it is nice to have a sensible exchange on these boards when you see some of the exchanges people have elsewhere. This exchange is about a rather serious matter of doping/juicing, so opinions would be varied. It is a shame that these things happen, but the thing that also annoys me are the comments by some former Olympians such as Kelly Holmes, Allen Wells and Seb Coe to name but three. I respect their right to an opinion, but they have painted Chambers to be the proverbial devil. Yet, I have seen Holmes and Coe say how wonderful Ohuruogu is.

At least Chambers can say he is legally the fastest sprinter this year in the UK.

I have to say, I did think that the court would rule in Chambers favour. He has done his time and isn't the person he used to be - he has come up as you said to be the fastest sprinter for GB this year. He does regret what he did its a shame his so called mates in athletics haven't backed him up since. I don't condone what he did, it was the worst thing he could have done as an athlete but as I said before, let bygones be bygones.

Onto another matter now, isn't it great that GB has almost beaten its prediction where medals are concerned. The team have done brilliantly and theres still 4 days to go.

Jonesy(which incedently is my surname as well), thanks for a sensible debate - most people on here just cause arguments :lol:

I haven't read all the posts about the doping issue so I apologise if I cover old ground

My view is that Chambers should have been allowed to compete. He served his ban, he admitted he was wrong, been stripped of his medals/titles, he has proved to be clean since, he is helping authorities. But there seems to be a culture of intolerance that people are not allowed to make up for mistakes anymore.

As for Christina, it has never been proven she took anything (and I don't believe she did) she missed 3 tests and there were mitigating circumstances (even the official report admitted as much) I have no problems with her representing GB at the Olympics. I was well pleased when she won gold, ran a great tactical race and showed great determination to get it.

I haven't read all the posts about the doping issue so I apologise if I cover old ground

My view is that Chambers should have been allowed to compete. He served his ban, he admitted he was wrong, been stripped of his medals/titles, he has proved to be clean since, he is helping authorities. But there seems to be a culture of intolerance that people are not allowed to make up for mistakes anymore.

As for Christina, it has never been proven she took anything (and I don't believe she did) she missed 3 tests and there were mitigating circumstances (even the official report admitted as much) I have no problems with her representing GB at the Olympics. I was well pleased when she won gold, ran a great tactical race and showed great determination to get it.

Totally agree!

BMX Update ... Did anyone see the gash on our girl's arm? Most people would have been claiming that they were dying or something...

Especially if they were premiership footballers :D

I really hope she wins a medal - I found the BMX really exciting.

Must mention another of our medals today; Tasha Danvers winning a Bronze in the 400m hurdles. Well done girl! :lol:

Edited by TeamGB

I am pleased that Christine won the gold. I fro one was also shocked that Dwain Chambers ban stood even after the court battle because having heard him in several interviews he has tried to answer his critics and improve himself. I thought he too would represent GB this year. You are right Jonesy, he has come through the ban and maybe should have been given another chance but unfortunately for us the courts disagreed, hence another medal (not gold) slipping from our grasp.

The whole court case thing was a bit of a balls-up. The actual case was that Chambers said that he didn't think that the ban was fair or legal, so filed a case about it. This was due to be heard in March next year. The case that he actually lost was an interim injunction. Effectively his court case was "I think this ban is unfair and illegal, and I wish to challenge it in court, which will be heard next March; in the meantime, I think that this ban is so unfair and obviously unreasonable that I want you to rule it as being temporarily unenforceable until we have the case in March 2009 to finally decide whether it is or not.

Quoting from a BBC report at the time: "In his summing up, Mr Mackay said Chambers' right to work was not a good enough reason to overturn the ban, while the last-minute timing had also worked against him.

"Many people both inside and outside sport would see this by-law as unlawful," said Mr Mackay.

"(But) In my judgment it would take a much better case than the claimant has presented to persuade me to overturn the status quo at this stage and compel his selection for the Games." "

I'm not a lawyer, but I think in a full case, European employment law might have overruled the judge's decision about "the right to work not being a good enough reason", and if not in the full case, certainly on appeal. The thing is, there was never the time to get a full case (and possible appeal) in before the Olympics, so the whole thing came down to the interim injunction. I'm intrigued why the whole legal proceedings weren't started considerably sooner, which would have given him a decent chance of getting it properly resolved. (It may be a cost thing; presumably the injunction hearing, being somewhat shorter than a full case would be cheaper to bring).

My line is that Chambers and Ohuruogu both committed offences (albeit different ones) and having served their bans, should be allowed to compete. I also believe that the bans for both offences should be increased, but would be against us increasing them unilaterally. (And yes, Ohuruogu did commit an offence, in a not dissimilar way that if the police stop you and ask for a sample because of a suspicion of drunk driving, it's an offence not to provide one).

And yes, that women's 10km open water swimming was epic, and it looks like the men's may be too.

Silver in the rather long outdoor swim :WINCE: .

I laughed so much when our guy kept going the wrong way and the pack behind him just followed him. I bet when they watch it back they will be like "WTF? We followed him all over the place!". I think they swam way more the 10K in that race, and mainly due to Team GB... :D

More medals...

Gold in the Star Class Sailing.

Silver in the Men's Triple Jump.

Silver in the Men's 10K Outdoor Swim.

On a quick sidenote to a previous debate regarding Chambers and Ohuruogu, I read a report today that was a transcript from a post race interview with Ohuruogu where the interviewer asked her "If she felt that a shadow had been cast over, or her win had been tainted by, the doubt that remains with her three missed drugs tests that got her the one year ban and the eventually overturned lifetime BOA Olympics ban?...to which she replied, in what has been described by several journalists as an attiude/tone as if she had been afronted with scandolous lies..."Did you have to bring that up? I made a school girl error and I don't care what the public think about me..". It was also noted in the report that, during her ban and appeal, she made a statement to the press that, unless her lifetime ban at the Olympics from the BOA was lifted, she would claim her Nigerian Parent's heritage and run for them.

Regarding lifetime Olympic Bans, these can be handed down by the I.O.C., but it seems only when the competitor tests positive at an Olympics game.

Back to results....

Potential medals tomorrow from the delayed Ladies BMX, and also the K1 Canoe Flatwater...

And the best thing is that the Australian Press are hating the fact that the Aussies are competing way below expectations, and that Team GB is way infront of them...gotta love the whinging Aussies...

Also, hands up who has stayed up to gone 4 or 5am to watch the events? My latest was 4.15am and I was hanging in the morning... ;)

Edited by Jonesy

I can't believe we are not in the 4x100m men's relay final. How on earth did he manage to that early ;) . Atleast the women are through, good luck to them.

Shame Philips Idowu didn't win, but silver is still good.

I can't believe we are not in the 4x100m men's relay final. How on earth did he manage to that early :WINCE: . Atleast the women are through, good luck to them.

I will be so glad when the Olympics are over Daniel..your typing will be less blinding with all the colours ;)

That is unless you mention Seth Green :D

I can't believe we are not in the 4x100m men's relay final. How on earth did he manage to that early :WINCE: . Atleast the women are through, good luck to them.

I will be so glad when the Olympics are over Daniel..your typing will be less blinding with all the colours ;)

That is unless you mention Seth Green :D

Just supporting the team.

As for not mentioning Mr G, don't hold your breath :lol: