Spam on the forum!

Quinny83

Is it just me or does there seem to be alot spam posts coming on to the forum, most of which is very inapropriate for the younger members among us please Mods can you put your finger out and start deleting these offensive posts or start kicking the offenders of the site and giving them a lifetime ban.

Is it just me or does there seem to be alot spam posts coming on to the forum, most of which is very inapropriate for the younger members among us please Mods can you put your finger out and start deleting these offensive posts or start kicking the offenders of the site and giving them a lifetime ban.

These things tend to happen on convention weekends when they know mods are otherwise occupied. Just hope that one of them isn't busy, or checks in during the weekend.

Couldn't something be done so you had to post 10 replies before being able to start a new thread or something?

That's not exactly fair on the rest of us forum users though is it? :thumbup: And it still doesnt stop people creating these spam threads - they usually just register and create one thread and never post again.

Just ignore them, LOL It always happens during convention weekends, in the forum for the convention that is running then. You can easily tell by the title that it's spam anyway and by the end of the weekend they'll be all gone.

I do not think you can do what you suggested on Invision... I am not entirely familiar with the software though, LOL

If you did it so 10 people had to post, people that popped online just to ask a question wouldnt be able too.

Like has been said, most of the mods are away for the weekend so theres not much that can be done.

My only advice is if theres a title that doesnt look relevent to the forum then just dont click it.

Just ignore them,

I think the point the OP is trying to make is that those threads are there (whether you ignore them or not) and can be clicked on by anyone.

Edited by nicky

They've tried lots, believe me- its tough- I used to run a forum too, and I know its tough- I've seen it before on a forum where you had to post 10 times- they just spammed up threads instead.

Buut all the mods will be at CM this weekend...

Having just returned to these shores - alright, forum lol - I must say that the moderators on here have always done a fine job in deleting these posts when they are made aware of them. None of them are on here all the time as they do it voluntarily.

Unfortunately, there are alot of sick people who get a kick out of seeing people react to such posts and we must try and refuse to give them what they want..a reaction.

Couldn't something be done so you had to post 10 replies before being able to start a new thread or something?

That's not exactly fair on the rest of us forum users though is it?:( And it still doesnt stop people creating these spam threads - they usually just register and create one thread and never post again.

If they had to post 10 replies in various threads to earn the privage to post new topics, it probably wouldn't be worth their effort. I don't recall as much spam on other forums.

That's not exactly fair on the rest of us forum users though is it?:headscratch: And it still doesnt stop people creating these spam threads - they usually just register and create one thread and never post again.

If they had to post 10 replies in various threads to earn the privage to post new topics, it probably wouldn't be worth their effort. I don't recall as much spam on other forums.

believe me, on one forum I was a mod on, it went totally crazy when they tried that- serious spamming in like every popular thread... its just easier to delete a new thread than edit established ones.

That's not exactly fair on the rest of us forum users though is it?:headscratch: And it still doesnt stop people creating these spam threads - they usually just register and create one thread and never post again.

The problem is, the spam isn't posted by real people, it's posted by spam bots - they don't ever get bored with posting, it's what they're programmed to do.

I used to moderate Lily Allen's official forum and the adult spam bots posting there were relentless. I had to spend about 2 hours a day deleting posts/threads. The only way to put a stop to them signing up to the forum is to apply anti bot filters. I've no idea if invision have anything like that available, but the admin on another phpBB forum I moderated installed such a filter and it stopped spam instantly.