Films that you don't get.

lovbug

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Films i didnt get.. hmm its not i didnt get it... i just didnt get why so many ppl raved about it

Blair witch project... Me and my mates could do a better job just gives us two crates of beers, an old rag and a camcorder and i PROMISE you it'll be better.

Tbh i think dogma was the best KS movie, was typical smith humor but was very well done.

I hated Eyes Wide Shut and it's the only film I'v ever seen where I left the cinema thinking "what was that about?!". I thought the plot line a bit shoddy and the acting was wooden; the music was pretty annoying too. I reckon that if it hadn't have been Kubrick's last film the critics would have been much harsher.

Sticking to films with 'eye' in the title, Eye of the Beholder was total pants!

Edited by TeamGB

I've never really got Donnie Darko even though i know there are lots of fans of the movie.

I came out of seeing Intolerable Cruelty and didn't get the entire plot as they changed the characters intentions so many times.

I get Bugsy Malone and i to have it on dvd but maybe that was because our school did a production of it a couple of years ago.

And rainbowsparkle i tend to like the harry potter films because it brings the book to life visually and they are good entertainment even though they do miss major a lot out of the books and i'm looking at one film in particular :headscratch:

Chicago. How the hell did that win the Best Picture Academy Award??!!!

There's another thread in itself - crap Oscar awards. How the overblown tosh that is Titanic got to be best picture ahead of the taut brilliance of LA Confidential is beyond mystifying and somewhere deep into travestyshire...

• 5 months later...

I saw the new Kevin Smith movie and there were about 3 laughs in it and that was the other people in the cinema laughing and not myself.

Clerks was a very very long time ago.

Other films i didnt get that a lot seem to have enjoyed

-Napoleon Dynamite

-Cloverfield

-Nightwatch or was it Day Watch?

and i most certainly after watching the trailer will not get TWIGHLIGHT

mind you im not under 18 and i have a pen1s.

Edited by vintageSW77

mind you im not under 18 and i have a pen1s.

Where do you keep it?

:dance:

I thought as as a fan of The Fly remake youd have guessed that i keep it in the bathroom cabinet Nick

Edited by vintageSW77

Clockwork Orange is a big one for me, fantastic book, perfect choice at the time for lead actor but the film is utter rubbish in my view. It's poorly acted and it looks more like a drama school production that has somehow managed to get onto film. It's a great pity because the book seems to be more relevant today than ever but I cannot bear to watch the film.

I remember sitting there aghast when it was finally released just because I couldn't believe that it had been held up as such an iconic film when it was just so bad. I guess it's a case that over the years when few people could see it, it's reputation grew along the lines of "It must be good if it was banned", certainly when you see photos from the film it has that cool 60s thing, so maybe thats were the legend grew from, it's just a shame it was such a bad film!

Napoleon Dynamite is one that I've seen on here a lot, have to say the first time I saw it I couldn't see what all the fuss was about, somehow it grew on me subconciously though because one day I suddenly thought I'd like to see it again, then when I did I enjoyd it a lot more. I still won't say it's my favourite film ever but it's one I can re-watch quite happily.

It's also interesting to me that films like Withnail and I and 2001 haven't been mentioned more on this list, they are both favourites of mine but they are ones that it's not uncommon to hear people haven't enjoyed them.

One last one from me, I love gangster films and De Niro is one of my favourite actors but I just couldn't get on with Once Upon a Time In America, it seemed that no one spoke for the first 45 minutes then no one spoke for the last 30 minutes, very obvious I missed something on that one!

STAR WARS. All of them

Trainspotting

Clockwork Orange

See Trainspotting,Clockwork Orange and at least 2 of the original SW flicks ARE classics

if you dont "get" those maybe you dont understand cinema

I have to agree about the PT though....i dont get them either

but thats probably because they are total trash.

A Clockwork Orange has to be my fave flick of all time with the original POTA close behind.

It still stands up today and is rightly considered a classic by many and rightly so.

Edited by vintageSW77

STAR WARS. All of them

Trainspotting

Clockwork Orange

See Trainspotting,Clockwork Orange and at least 2 of the original SW flicks ARE classics

if you dont "get" those maybe you dont understand cinema

or maybe my opinion differs to yours?

some people would say 3 of the SW films are classic, because you only feel 2 are does that mean you dont understand cinema?

awe, but they are cute tho right!

point is, i love films, i watch a lot of them all the time but i have a different taste to others, that doesnt mean i dont understand cinema, just means i thought Clockwork Orange was overrated and you dont. in the same way i consider Anchorman one of the funniest films of all time and you may not even like it

As with anything, it's quite possible to appreciate somethings technical merits even if the thing isn't to your taste. To me though a film like A Clockwork Orange doesn't work on any level, but its a bit daft to say that just because someone does like a specific film the they don't understand cinema, it's all about opinion after all.

As with anything, it's quite possible to appreciate somethings technical merits even if the thing isn't to your taste. To me though a film like A Clockwork Orange doesn't work on any level, but its a bit daft to say that just because someone does like a specific film the they don't understand cinema, it's all about opinion after all.

I agree with that, for example, im a huge music fan, mainly rock stuff and while i really dont like Iron Maiden i can see they are very talented musicans, im just not a fan.

and yeah, my fave band Green Day are influenced by the Beatles but that doesnt mean i have to like them, i hate the Beatles...

its the same with film, sure Clockwork Orange may appeal to many people and it may have caused a huge stir at the the time of release but i dont like it at all and have no shame admitting that.

its all down to opinion. i really didnt get Napolean Dynamite either

well theres the music,the direction,the cinematography and Macdowalls performance

to say AOC doesnt work is your opinion and your entitled to it and if you were right id agree with you

sure enough you dont have to like something just because its technically accomplished

give me the vocals of John Lydon anyday over Leona Lewis or Celine Dion

Dont think this has been mentioned....but...... WAL-E ...what a complete load of utter........

Got to agree with Cloverfield too..........cack.

:wub:

i liked Wall-e but was a little dissapointed as it was built up to be something spectacular but i thought it was just good

to be fair though, im not the only one that has said bad of chocolate orange, Count Fooku also claims dislike for this movie

none of my friends,relatives or my gf like it either

REALLY?!

So it is YOU that doesnt understand cinema! :P

well my gf is a Sex and the city fan

so she doesnt count