Photoshoot backdrop

Deap

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The uk garrison use star wars styled curtains I think, at least I'm certain I've seen darth vader posing in front of them at a few events...they look not to bad.

I think a subtle themed background curtain for eclipse and lockdown might be a good thing. Would get my vote :)

A few people seem to be criticising the example i posted due to the new BG colour being black or that Jack now looks stretched, please note it was just an example of themed backgrounds looking more interesting and more professional.

What i was actually trying to convay was an example like the following

1487234.jpg

36Celebrity_Justice_.sff.embedded.prod_affiliate.36.jpg

Sorry about the scale, I just copied the links in.

Edited by Deap

Ok here are 2 test shots,

(Not quoting the pictures and everything to save up space in the thread!)

I personally prefer the first shot, the one you've done as an example of what needs to be improved. To me, the second shot is too yellow and I prefer the sharpess of the first. Other than the fact that the background reflects and is too distracting as a photograph (something that wouldn't be an issue with the standard blue background), the first one is more attractive to me, as a longtime con attendee who has hundreds of pictures with guests.

Ok here are 2 test shots,

(Not quoting the pictures and everything to save up space in the thread!)

I personally prefer the first shot, the one you've done as an example of what needs to be improved. To me, the second shot is too yellow and I prefer the sharpess of the first. Other than the fact that the background reflects and is too distracting as a photograph (something that wouldn't be an issue with the standard blue background), the first one is more attractive to me, as a longtime con attendee who has hundreds of pictures with guests.

I totally agree that it is yellowy but that was due to poor lighting, the colour tones look warmer when the camera cant get enough light from the scene.

The example was to show how softer studio lighting would be and it doesn't bleach your face like the 1st shot It stops the light areas being really light and the dark areas being dark. If I had studio lighting It would not have been yellow. and as for the background the example was only to show how having objects will add more interes. using a photo was a bad example as it did reflect due to the glass, but overall having "something" in the background made the photograph less like a passport photo.

Having a sharp object in the background is distracting and is not a good photograph but the balance is to have the subject sharp and the background out of focus gives a great shot of the subject in its surroundings which will give depth and meaning to the subject (something that cant be achieved on a single colour wall) I can admit that the examples above with the picture and the heroes wall are OTT but the last 2 i posted where its a plain wall but simply has a logo on it just adds enough to show where you are at when the photo was taken and makes it less generic think as a long time photographer with 100's of happy clients.

What did you think of the above example with having a themed background instead of plain blue or the idea of just having a logo wall? you say it is distracting but please trust me if its simple enough or out of focus i can promise you it helps theguest and you stand out.

Edited by Deap

Other than the fact that the background reflects and is too distracting as a photograph (something that wouldn't be an issue with the standard blue background), the first one is more attractive to me, as a longtime con attendee who has hundreds of pictures with guests.

Agreed - change the material & lighting, colour (although personally I like the blue - or black so long as I have warning!) sure, but keep it plain. Patterns/logos/pictures are just distracting, besides which, surely there shouldn't even be that much of the background showing anyway, to make it worth getting a customised backdrop?

How about something like this, not the best person to to crop photos but I think the background would be good. Its better than the bog standard blue one :uhoh:

Test.jpg

The only problem with backdrops like that is how reflective they are. There is nothing worse that a burnt flash spot just to the left of your head, and believe me this is worse than a dark shadow.

There is a simple answer to using a back drop, you make it matt so it becomes non reflective, my girlfriend takes photos professionly for a number of different fassion mags and she does it all the time, get the image you want and then print it on material which is not relective and set up studio lights. Simple and if the guy taking the photo is a pro he should have such things.

I totally agree that it is yellowy but that was due to poor lighting, the colour tones look warmer when the camera cant get enough light from the scene.

The example was to show how softer studio lighting would be and it doesn't bleach your face like the 1st shot It stops the light areas being really light and the dark areas being dark. If I had studio lighting It would not have been yellow. and as for the background the example was only to show how having objects will add more interes. using a photo was a bad example as it did reflect due to the glass, but overall having "something" in the background made the photograph less like a passport photo.

Having a sharp object in the background is distracting and is not a good photograph but the balance is to have the subject sharp and the background out of focus gives a great shot of the subject in its surroundings which will give depth and meaning to the subject (something that cant be achieved on a single colour wall) I can admit that the examples above with the picture and the heroes wall are OTT but the last 2 i posted where its a plain wall but simply has a logo on it just adds enough to show where you are at when the photo was taken and makes it less generic think as a long time photographer with 100's of happy clients.

What did you think of the above example with having a themed background instead of plain blue or the idea of just having a logo wall? you say it is distracting but please trust me if its simple enough or out of focus i can promise you it helps theguest and you stand out.

The thing is, I'm happy with the blue, as are a LOT of people. I don't actually have a problem with it being distracting, my point being that there (to me) was nothing wrong with your first example that was intentionally supposed to be the "bad" example, other than the reflection of the photo. And since that obviously wouldn't be there at the actual event, I like the first example better. I like the sharpness.

The dark backgrounds (even darked THEMED backgrounds) are never going to be a great idea - personally I love a plain black background but at an event like this, too many people where black for it to be a realistic option. I went to two events where they used black, and afterwards there was nothing but complaints because too many people appeared to blend into the background. Using basic eclipse logo would have the same problem, IMO.

There's nothing really wrong with a themed background, I just personally am not a fan of the idea and never will be. And like fray101 said, really there shouldn't be enough of the background on show for a theme to be necessary!

There doesn't need to be "meaning" to the shot. You're thinking far too deeply about this, which I'm sure comes because you do photography yourself. It's a picture of you with a celebrity - how much more meaning does there need to be?

It's a picture of you with a celebrity - how much more meaning does there need to be?

Enough to differentiate it from another event.

Just thought I'd link to a video I just watched, the focal point here is the background its plain, its matte its simple and professional and just has enough of a hint to show what the event is about (It can be blue if you like)

I just think it does enough to say where it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SihzEukioUM...ted&search=

I don't even feel that's necessary. I have pictures from 20 different events, maybe more, and I know which event every picture came from. I don't care if other people don't - I do, and that's what matters.

Yes that's what matters "to you"

I personally find that with photography I need it to have meaning, character and a story. It makes it more like art, the ability to study a photograph is its essence I want something to put on my wall to look at and study the detail of for my friends to look at.

That is what matters to me. and a LOT of others

Don't get me wrong These aren't "bad" in blue the whole point of starting this topic is that i feel it can be better - much better at literally no cost. I think having a flag as a BG and have it signed and auctioned could even make a lot more money for showmasters.

• Moderators

I personally find that with photography I need it to have meaning, character and a story. It makes it more like art, the ability to study a photograph is its essence I want something to put on my wall to look at and study the detail of for my friends to look at.

That is what matters to me. and a LOT of others

To be honest, I'd be very surprised of "a LOT of others" cared about what you've described there in relation to a photo shoot opp at an event.

I totally agree with you about what you've said about photography, but there's different types of photography and a whole different point behind something like an event photo shoot compared to going out and capturing something outside etc. You won't be getting 'meaning, character and a story' from an event photo shoot, and most people don't WANT that.

An event photo shoot = you with a guest. It comes down to being that simple, and that's what people pay for. They want to look back and see them with a guest, or show it to a friend who can see them with a guest etc. It's not as complex as what you're describing.

It's easy to distinguish stuff between one event and another. Look at who's in it. Every single one of my 30+ photos is on a plain background (all but a few are blue), and I can tell you which event, which month and which year each one was taken in. It's not difficult.

If you're not a regular con-goer (as I suspect you are), then it's even easier!

The majority of people don't care about meaning/character/story. They care about the fact that they were standing there with one arm around one of their favourite actors, and have a photo to prove it.

Edited by Psychosis

Its not that its bad having those blue backgrounds, It just could be better

whether people are looking for it or not It "could" be better.

The result of better work is better word of mouth and more people wanting it in the future.

I just want to clarify

Are people saying that the current plain blue background is better than having something with any kind of features even if its just event logos or just that they aren't bothered?

Edited by Deap

• Moderators

I think logos are pretty distracting really. The focal point needs to be person+guest, and the eyes shouldn't be drawn to something irrelevant in the background.

The only places that do logos/event names in the background are ones that want advertising i.e. to say LOOK, THEY MET THIS GUEST HERE!!.

I think logos are pretty distracting really. The focal point needs to be person+guest, and the eyes shouldn't be drawn to something irrelevant in the background.

The only places that do logos/event names in the background are ones that want advertising i.e. to say LOOK, THEY MET THIS GUEST HERE!!.

I like those too, so I can say look I met this guy here. It makes it less what I refer to as generic. and by generic I mean that all the event photos I've seen look the same. It's not like I'm not going to get another photosession if they don't change it. Its just more likely that I would get a photosession if it represented the event it was at.

I just looked over my photos again and I don't dislike them as much as I thought I did I think we can both agree on the lighting and I guess we are just going to have to agree to disagree on what makes a better setting.

I think it's hard when you start a topic asking for opinions and then when people give them, you effectively tell us we're wrong. Perhaps that wasn't your intention, but it's the way it came across!!

Of all the pictures I've got, I have one which tells you which event it is on the picture - the company print a border around the shot with the event name and date. And every time I look at it, I feel slightly insulted that they think I'm stupid enough that I might forget where I was, even though I know that's not really the point behind it! :D

I think that as a photographer, you are probably looking for a lot more than the majority of people in your pictures. Saying that a LOT of other people want "character and story" is assuming a lot, considering that most people in this thread have answered the opposite to you.

Personally, I would much prefer a solid colour background to any kind of logo/themed background. For me, it's not a case of not being bothered either way - my personal preference would be for them to stay as they are.

I agree with that... in the sense that most people don't like it! Personally I love the black - my favourite pictures are the ones with the black background, they look fab. But only because I don't wear much black!

In general definitely best to stay away from it because of the amount of people who do wear lots of black, including the guests!

They would not be able to use a logo anyway as it would be breaking copyright and since this is "The Unofficial Convention for Heroes Fans", I dont think Showmasters would want to have to pay NBC for the use of it. Which would also jack up the price of the event. They could do a backdrop that is Heroes style, but not a photo inlarged.

I think it's hard when you start a topic asking for opinions and then when people give them, you effectively tell us we're wrong. Perhaps that wasn't your intention, but it's the way it came across!!

I don't mean to do this, Sometimes I even say that it sounds like I'm telling people when i really don't mean to, Sorry If i have come across this way I have started trying to proof read my posts more just to see how Im coming across. after last night i got my Girlfriend to start proof reading them too just to help them come across better.

Of all the pictures I've got, I have one which tells you which event it is on the picture - the company print a border around the shot with the event name and date. And every time I look at it, I feel slightly insulted that they think I'm stupid enough that I might forget where I was, even though I know that's not really the point behind it! :smile:

So it actually has a border round the print? so It would be part of the print and not part of the BG, If that is the case it sounds awful and totally distracting (plain boarders sometimes help to frame an image and draw the eye) not when a company uses it to advertise that's just arrogant. It not what i was getting at with my example though. can you show the image as an example? I would understand if you don't want to.

I think that as a photographer, you are probably looking for a lot more than the majority of people in your pictures. Saying that a LOT of other people want "character and story" is assuming a lot, considering that most people in this thread have answered the opposite to you.

Its not just photography Its everything. I allways come across like im complaining about things and that's not what I feel I am doing. The photoshoot background is ok but my problem with it is that its just OK. I want everything to be the best it can be and i feel this can be better with a different background (more artistic) but sometimes i get carried away and need people to understand what i mean which leads me to go on and on until they do understand/agree or just get annoyed and angry with me. Sorry

Personally, I would much prefer a solid colour background to any kind of logo/themed background. For me, it's not a case of not being bothered either way - my personal preference would be for them to stay as they are.

If it is going to be plain, I agree that my personal favourite would be black as it makes the colour really stand out. But again at these events most people wear black and I would love to see some of these floating head shots that people have referenced.

What about white, gray or a slightly more neutral blue (lighter)?

Edited by Deap