THE PARK INN - LIMITED ROOMS LEFT

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just bagged an exec Double for Friday and Saturday night :wub:

4 left guys.

Considering it's a double bed, include breakfast and we get the free bonus present from Showmasters. £70 isn't too bad of a price. Breakfasts at airport hotels can cost £10 alone

I've just booked up, there is now only 2 exec Doubles left.

I have just booked and I was told only Exec Doubles left and they only had 3, well now they only have 2. Its a shame as I wanted a twin as I was going to try and find someone else to go as I am on my own. This will be my 2nd convention as my 1st was the LFACC, in which I only went to meet Hayden of course.

Aww. I wish I had the money to buy a Gold ticket - I bet the cocktail party is awesome.

Would be fun if some of the Heroes cast came to the regular parties too. =)

I'll let you know, was one of the reasons I booked the gold.

I have just booked and I was told only Exec Doubles left and they only had 3, well now they only have 2. Its a shame as I wanted a twin as I was going to try and find someone else to go as I am on my own. This will be my 2nd convention as my 1st was the LFACC, in which I only went to meet Hayden of course.

Aww. I wish I had the money to buy a Gold ticket - I bet the cocktail party is awesome.

Would be fun if some of the Heroes cast came to the regular parties too. =)

I'll let you know, was one of the reasons I booked the gold.

Well i might as well book a exec double tomorrow. I wanted to have a twin as well so i could bring a friend along. oh well

Cocktail parties with the guests are AWESOME. If they're anything like Firefly folks, you'll get a chance to chat with all of them. I just about died when Sean Maher tapped me on the shoulder from behind.

Did you get to talk to them properly, as apposed to me meeting the heroes crew and the conversation going "Hi Bye" as the photographer briefly takes a Pic and your whisked out. This will be my first full convention, so I'm a newbie and would really like to mingle and get to chat to them. Also I take it no cameras allowed as usual.

No cameras, right. And yeah, you do get to talk to them. It's basically just a little party room with drinks (don't remember if they were actually alcoholic LOL, I had orange juice) and everyone mingles. I was there for about an hour and had quite a long conversation with at least four of the guests. I can't guarantee the Heroes guests will be the same, but usually they'll wander and find someone to talk to, and a small group will gather around them, and then they move on to the next group that's gathered to make sure they get to chat to everone. People tend to naturally gather in groups; friendship grous or little groups around the guests. Just make sure that you actually have the guts to speak to them, cause they'll have more than you wanting their attention.

Edited by Psychosis

It also depends on how SM do it. Because some of the previous events I've been to, they started off doing it how Psychosis described (we were at the same event, lol!) but they run it much much better now, by setting tables in the rooms (enough seating for everybody) and the guests go and sit at each table for 5 minutes or so and chat, and then move on, and a little while later you'll get a different guest. The guest assistants should then make sure that they stop at every table - usually we're told if we see a guest leaving and we haven't seen them, grab the guest's PA and they'll try and get them over, but I've honestly never had that happen!

See, I don't like it that way. I had the chance to go to that but I was on my own and it felt REALLY awkward to be deposited unmoving on a table full of people I didn't know who almost all knew eachother. It felt too formal, too. I hope they don't do it like that, I don't think it's better. It's uncomfortable.

Edited by Psychosis

I prefer it like that - but I'm usually there with a group of people so I guess it's different. But I just find it much nicer to get a few minutes to chat - even if they do all the talking! - without having to push through the crowds. At the first event, with the hanging out and the throngs of people, I talked properly to one guest and exchanged half a sentence with another, whereas every event with the tables I feel like even if I didn't say a whole lot, I got a lot of personal interaction out of it with every guest!

I guess I got lucky then, I had plenty of time talking to each guest. Rose tinted glasses for me, maybe! :wub:

But the tables thing is REALLY awkward if you're not with a group of people. Sure, you might get a group of people who chat happily with you. You might also be deposited on a table with everyone talking around you. Plus, when it gets to talking to the guest, it feels really formal... just all round uncomfortable for me.

Edited by Psychosis

I guess I got lucky then, I had plenty of time talking to each guest. Rose tinted glasses for me, maybe! :YAHOO:

But the tables thing is REALLY awkward if you're not with a group of people. Sure, you might get a group of people who chat happily with you. You might also be deposited on a table with everyone talking around you. Plus, when it gets to talking to the guest, it feels really formal... just all round uncomfortable for me.

Yeh i agree, i'll probably be coming along to this alone, and even i'll probably meet loads of great people, having to be sat with a group of people who you may havent meet yet does seem quite awkward and i think it would be better if it as like as you said before and the guest come to each little group and chat for a while then gradually find the next small forming group etc

If it happens like that and it actually works out, that's great. I just personally find that so many people miss out on talking to anybody at all (I did two events without tables and at the first one, didn't speak to a single guest, and like I said, at the second, I talked to two out of seven or eight) because the fans all swarm around the guests and don't really let them just move on to the next group. Whereas with the tables situation, even when I've been there on my own I've found somewhere to sit and managed to hold/be part of a conversation with every guest.

But anyway that's just my personal opinion, and with only 100 people at the gold pass party I'm sure it'll be relaxed enough that we'll all get to talk to the guests however they run it!

Edited by SerbianJanet

I guess in the circumstances you describe, it's down to how 'good' your guests are. I was lucky that the ones I was at a party with would firmly detach themselves from a group if they got swarmed at any one time, and move along to the next one. We'd be fine IF the Heroes guests would do that. But yeah, I understand how it would backfire if they just remain in one place with the same people.

(By the way, since I use a totally different login here, this is Rach, she of Nathan and brick fame :YAHOO:)

I know what you mean though. At that event we were at, I got to Nathan because we hung around at the back of the crowd until he made the point of moving people out of the way so he could introduce himself to us. The only other guest I talked to at that party was Morena and that was a really quick sentence of "I wanted to show you this photo! Okay I'll let you go now!"

I spent the rest of the time talking to friends because of the massive crowds around other guests - I didn't want to add to that! Whereas when those same guests I didn't talk to at that party, were at the next con's party where they had the tables, I got loads of chatter out of them. So it's partly down to the guests, partly down to luck, and partly down to how confident you are yourself, I guess!

Edited by SerbianJanet

Oooh, it's you :YAHOO:

And I dunno why we had such different experiences then! I spoke to every guest at that one, some of them twice, and I had quite lengthy convos with a couple of them (Sean, Morena, I tagged along with you and the brick story with Nathan, and... a couple of others). I don't remember there being huge gatherings around them either. Ah well :D Either way we'll make the most out of it.

I remember Sean being busy with people around him, and leaving earlyish, but I also remember you telling me you'd had no trouble getting to him which made me jealous at the time! :YAHOO:

But yeah - with only 100 tickets into the party, whatever happens it should be fairly easy to talk to everybody!

I think I was the first person he talked to in the party :YAHOO: I was standing with one guy near the door and I guess he thought the two of us were unthreatening enough to start off with, LOL!

I really was speechless at first though. I was SO lucky that Matt actually said something to save me from looking like a gormless idiot.

I'm going to have to agree with Rach on this one - although admittedly I haven't been to a M&G that hasn't been done without tables so I don't have personal experience.

However, to me it seems that the guests moving from table to table ensures that everyone gets a fair chance to speak with them. Let's especially bear in mind the fact that this will be the first chance to meet the guests - and how, well, enthusiastic the Heroes fans tend to be. They'd just be swamped .

(OK, maybe it's also that I'm used to the "Move from table to table idea" from one too many Character Breakfasts at Disneyland :YAHOO:)

I appreciate that it could be awkward sitting on a table with strangers but my experience at these events is that it's usually pretty easy to strike up a conversation when you know you've got something in common.

But anyway, yep, with just 100 attendees at the cocktail party should be pretty cool!

No cameras, right. And yeah, you do get to talk to them. It's basically just a little party room with drinks (don't remember if they were actually alcoholic LOL, I had orange juice) and everyone mingles. I was there for about an hour and had quite a long conversation with at least four of the guests. I can't guarantee the Heroes guests will be the same, but usually they'll wander and find someone to talk to, and a small group will gather around them, and then they move on to the next group that's gathered to make sure they get to chat to everone. People tend to naturally gather in groups; friendship grous or little groups around the guests. Just make sure that you actually have the guts to speak to them, cause they'll have more than you wanting their attention.

Thanks for the advice, I think i'll be ok in the guts and talking to them part, I work for the Police, used to talking to people I don't know Lol