Catherine Tate full time companion on who next year!

Fader

I'd love to see a male companion that isn't gay/bi whatever. Then there'd be NO chance of them falling for the doctor and it'd be such a change! I don't think that's possible though in the modern doctor who universe :WINCE:

I am really not keen on Tate being the new companion. I loved Freema from her first appearance on screen. She was intelligent and strong. Ok, she fell for the doctor, but wouldn't you? :dance: I liked Billie as soon as her first appearance too. I like the fact that they were relatively unknowns (not including Billie's "singing" career). But WHY do we have to have someone famous? Can't we have another unknown? I'd love to see someone from north of London- some accent other than cockney or welsh would be a breath of fresh air!! hehe

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At first I was really anti the idea of Tate being the full time assistant...partly because I really liked the character or Martha...and partly because her "comedy" show annoys the hell out of me.

But with a bit of time to cool down I think it could be really good. She had calmed down a lot by the end of Runaway Bride...and if they maintain that pace it will be great. I also love how she challenged the Doctor a bit..questioned the things that he does, something Martha didn't do as much, probably because she was smitten with him.

Anyway, I'm happy to wait and see what happens.

Oh..and yay for Martha being in Torchwood :dance:

Far too much speculation going on about Dr Who's future in my opinion. I know thats pretty much what chat forums are about but really, I don't think theres any need for people to induce worry in fandom by saying they think Tennant's only gonna last another season, or its gonna end after season 4 or whatever, when we're months away from even seeing the xmas special.

Since David Tennant took the role, theres been nothing but articles in newspapers and constant rumours about when he'd leave, without David saying a word about 'quitting'.

There was a star letter in DWM last month or the month before about how he shouldnt let any rumours affect his decision and I agree, whenever he does leave, every tabloid will just be advertising how they were right all the time.

Maybe its just me but I like to take things as they come, not speculate years in advance, besides, the BBC controller has confirmed that the show will be around for years to come.

As for Catherine Tate, I was very disappointed when she was announced as the regular, as Martha has been one of my fave companions in many years. But as Stuart said, NO ONE was excited when Billie Piper was announced, and she ended up in most peoples minds as the best thing about the new series, so I guess we'll just have to wait until next year and see.

Far too much speculation going on about Dr Who's future in my opinion. I know thats pretty much what chat forums are about but really, I don't think theres any need for people to induce worry in fandom by saying they think Tennant's only gonna last another season, or its gonna end after season 4 or whatever, when we're months away from even seeing the xmas special.

Since David Tennant took the role, theres been nothing but articles in newspapers and constant rumours about when he'd leave, without David saying a word about 'quitting'.

There was a star letter in DWM last month or the month before about how he shouldnt let any rumours affect his decision and I agree, whenever he does leave, every tabloid will just be advertising how they were right all the time.

Maybe its just me but I like to take things as they come, not speculate years in advance, besides, the BBC controller has confirmed that the show will be around for years to come.

As for Catherine Tate, I was very disappointed when she was announced as the regular, as Martha has been one of my fave companions in many years. But as Stuart said, NO ONE was excited when Billie Piper was announced, and she ended up in most peoples minds as the best thing about the new series, so I guess we'll just have to wait until next year and see.

I think you will find that, for every person indicating this rumour or that rumour, there are numerous others who dispell that rumour and point out that media rumours are just that...rumours. Fans come onto these sites and forums to discuss this and that, and I have only found 1 or 2 occasions where someone has come on and tried to "cause concern among fandom". I also think that, upon further inspectio of these and other forums, most fans have the common sense to realise that the press peddle complete and utter bullsh*t 99.9% of the time.

If a fan can't come on to a friendly forum, a place where they do not get called GEEK or LOSER by people who do not like the same genre of entertainment, and disciss things in a way that they do an conventions etc, then it is a poor show.

David Tennant has commented numerous times that he is a long time fan of Doctor Who and often goes onto fan forums to see what the buzz is as he finds it fun and enlightening. So, if the lead star in a show can go on and discuss things, why can't the rest of us?

Peace to all fans..carry on chatting...

I think you will find that, for every person indicating this rumour or that rumour, there are numerous others who dispell that rumour and point out that media rumours are just that...rumours. Fans come onto these sites and forums to discuss this and that, and I have only found 1 or 2 occasions where someone has come on and tried to "cause concern among fandom". I also think that, upon further inspectio of these and other forums, most fans have the common sense to realise that the press peddle complete and utter bullsh*t 99.9% of the time.

If a fan can't come on to a friendly forum, a place where they do not get called GEEK or LOSER by people who do not like the same genre of entertainment, and disciss things in a way that they do an conventions etc, then it is a poor show.

David Tennant has commented numerous times that he is a long time fan of Doctor Who and often goes onto fan forums to see what the buzz is as he finds it fun and enlightening. So, if the lead star in a show can go on and discuss things, why can't the rest of us?

Dont misunderstand me, I wasn't saying that fans shouldnt come on and chat about the show, that would be pointless.

Perhaps I was hasty in my last post about 'causing concern among fandom'. I was merely pointing out that it doesn't take much for speculation to run wild, whether it be about RTD leaving next year or David Tennant or whatever.

And I do hope David reads boards like this, to see just how much he is appreciated as the doctor!

Dont misunderstand me, I wasn't saying that fans shouldnt come on and chat about the show, that would be pointless.

Perhaps I was hasty in my last post about 'causing concern among fandom'. I was merely pointing out that it doesn't take much for speculation to run wild, whether it be about RTD leaving next year or David Tennant or whatever.

And I do hope David reads boards like this, to see just how much he is appreciated as the doctor!

It becomes nigh on impossible to put anything on the internet without someone putting a spin on it. Rumours about DT and RTD have been in the mix for years, and Freema Agyeman was sacked before she actually has been. Just because something changes, people see conspiracy. If something stays the same, they say it is stale. I think Freema going to Torchwood breifly is a fine idea, and I will look forward to her coming back to Who mid season. People have brought up doubts about Piper and Agyeman before they were companions, but Tate is a different matter in that she has a storied history in comedy. It could be a huge millstone for her to deal with. It might even be a good thing for her. I just hope that the show does not return to it's extremely camp past with the "cheap set" syndrome.

• Showmasters Admin

My biggest concern is that there will be too many celebrity appearances, too many characters shoe-horned into a story just for the sake of having someone "famous" on the show.

Now, I'm happy for well known actors to appear on the shows (I'm including Torchwood as well as Dr Who) as long as they fit the roles and their appearances are actually justified. Derek Jacobi was perfect as the old Master IMHO, and lets not forget that Kylie did start out as an actress before she was a singer! From the very, very brief snippets I know about the next Christmas special I can see how she will fit in nicely into the story. And Catherine Tate in the Runaway Bride worked well, too.

But you must admit, there has been an increase in "celebrity" announcements. Bearly a week goes by without a news report about "so and so" appearing on Torchwood or Dr Who. Hopefully this is all just part of the BBC's publicity machine keeping us interested in between series, but it is a worrying trend.

Lets just hope it doesn't get out of hand.

Andrea

I have been away for the best part of a month and come back to read these boards and am glad I do. I'd never find out all that was going on if I didn't!!

I am surpised (pleasantly though) about Ms Tate, but I'm looking forward to it! I loved the Christmas episode and wanted her so desperately to join him, so the new series will be much anticipated in my home!

(Just for the record though about an earlier post - it was mentioned that Doctor Who has taken off in the States. Sorry, but honestly I don't know one person over there that watches it. Christopher is know for Hero's and David doesn't get a mention :-( BUT I am working on it. I will convert the mortals and educate them. Even if it means I have to regenerate in the process)

I heard that Martha might be returning half way in the seris.

Makes sense, she didnt "die" like Rose.

That be true my mucker...am in West Country mode....

She is in Torchwood for at least 3 episodes and returns for the latter half of the new series..

• 2 weeks later...

and for the next big name appearance in Doctor WHo that is currently in negotiation...

Sir Ben Kingsley

To play the role of Davros.

Also rumoured to play the next Doctor is James Nesbitt of Cold Feet fame.

Both bits of info came from www.digitalspy.co.uk

and for the next big name appearance in Doctor WHo that is currently in negotiation...

Sir Ben Kingsley

David Tennant has hinted that he will stay on for another season if he is offered a contract.

• Showmasters Admin

Sir Ben Kingsley

Steven Moffat has confirmed the Nesbitt story is rubbish. Another piece of wonderful Sun reporting...

RTD has gone on record saying that Donna, aka Catherine Tate, will search the Doctor out. This is how she becomes the new assistant. However, he has also said that she will be stubborn, pig headed and a bit ditzy.

Can anyone say...OMG...

• 3 weeks later...

Bad very very bad choice.

The Xmas special was crap, all the time i was think will she say am i bothered and she does not fit in.

Martha was great, shame she is going :chair:

She isn't going that far, and is back half way through...

I'm totally made up that Catherine Tate's going to be a DW assistant - it's about time there was one who was over the age of 30. :uhoh: I'm also really pleased that Freema will be returning. :YAHOO:

And I'm sorry, but I loathed Billie Piper as Rose. :clap:

The main problem that is besetting Catherine Tate's emergence as the Doctor's Assistant, as with what happened with Billie Piper, is what has gone before.

Billie Piper will always be known before Doctor Who as a fleeting teenage popstar and former wife of Radio 1 DJ Chris Evans.

Catherine Tate will always be primarily remembered for her comedic talents. With such characters as Lauren and Nan being so big, she will struggle to win over viewers.

However, Billie won people over - well, almost all people - and became a piece of Doctor Who's legacy.

Here's hoping that Catherine Tate can do the same.

NB: These are my views and opinions. To those who believe I am not due an opinion or view, don't read.

NB: These are my views and opinions. To those who believe I am not due an opinion or view, don't read.

Ooh, I'm definitely not one of those, mate! :D

It's my disclaimer as there are a couple of people on here who do not like me as they think they know me. God knows how. Buy hey ho..

NB: The views and opinions posted here are of the poster and not presented as any other fact that what the poster thinks...